So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards?

Page: << < ..16171819 Showing page 19 of 19
Author
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/08/25 06:16:00 (permalink)
wickedwayne
So... seeing that this thread is still going strong i guess EVGA wasn't able to fix the problem? Did they at least say what the cause of the issue is by now?

Thank god i was able to step up, i imagine i would still be here complaining with the rest of you if i wouldn't have gone for RMA. 

Last time i posted here was more than a month ago i think and the last thing i remember was that an EVGA tech posted that they found the issue and would be able to solve it. 

I guess that didn't work out at all.  

Supposedly, no, the issue is fixed.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
wickedwayne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/08/27 03:06:27 (permalink)
stalinx20
wickedwayne
So... seeing that this thread is still going strong i guess EVGA wasn't able to fix the problem? Did they at least say what the cause of the issue is by now?

Thank god i was able to step up, i imagine i would still be here complaining with the rest of you if i wouldn't have gone for RMA. 

Last time i posted here was more than a month ago i think and the last thing i remember was that an EVGA tech posted that they found the issue and would be able to solve it. 

I guess that didn't work out at all.  

Supposedly, no, the issue is fixed.

But only through RMA right? New cards are still effected from what i read on the last page. Anyway if EVGA pay's for the RMA it's ok i think. 
Red46
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/08/29 05:14:54 (permalink)
Issue is fixed and every card produced after they found a solution for the problem, will incorporate the fix. However, since there's no saying how long a 980 FTW has been sitting on the shelves of a shop or into a warehouse there are new 980 which MAY still incur in the problem. The 980 FTW I got back with the fix installed, has been performing brilliantly ever since.
Taene
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/08/30 01:37:41 (permalink)
Sad thing is, i sent back the card, where i bought it and the webshop service called me yesterday, that my card is working as intended. So confused now, because either they lie or my pc or the driver failing somewhere. 
post edited by Taene - 2015/08/30 01:50:20

EVGA GTX 980 FTW - Bios V: 84.04.2F.00.80
MB: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer
CPU: Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0ghz 
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HD: WD Green 1TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2
Monitor: AOC G2460PG
System: Windows 10 64bit
Red46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/08/30 10:33:53 (permalink)
I read your posts and your card seems to crash in the same spot my first 980 ftw did. Mine used to crash when the upside down pyramid shows and she throws as flare, as she did that, screen went black and sound locked up. EVERY, SINGLE, time. The only two ways I had to get around that was to use DSR or, downclock the core and memory clocks of around 100mhz. If yours has the exact same behaviour that you can fix with the two solutions outlined above, your card HAS the issue and the people there are a bunch of liars. Issue that was ACKNOWLEDGED by evga themselves. You could link the post earlier on where Dave said there's an issue with the card and they have a fix for it to your web shop or, you could take it upon yourself and start a RMA with evga directly. It's an exceptionally smooth and quick procedure and I personally, recommend it much more than going through your web shop/store. They usually don't even ship card back to the manufacturer. They instead, give them back to their distributor and it could be a month or so before that happen, let alone the time it will take them to get a new card back to you. Also, you'll have no guarantee to get a fixed card. 

Only card produced after the fix was implemented do include it, if your shop got back to you a card that was produced in let's say March, it COULD (not every 980 FTW has this problem) still be one with the same issue. Handling the RMA yourself by dealing directly with EVGA is the best course of action you can take to get your card back in a reasonable amount of time (in my experience the turnaround time has been 6 working days) and most importantly a card that will DEFINITELY have the fix implemented. Best of luck
Taene
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/08/30 10:49:06 (permalink)
Red46
I read your posts and your card seems to crash in the same spot my first 980 ftw did. Mine used to crash when the upside down pyramid shows and she throws as flare, as she did that, screen went black and sound locked up. EVERY, SINGLE, time. The only two ways I had to get around that was to use DSR or, downclock the core and memory clocks of around 100mhz. If yours has the exact same behaviour that you can fix with the two solutions outlined above, your card HAS the issue and the people there are a bunch of liars. Issue that was ACKNOWLEDGED by evga themselves. You could link the post earlier on where Dave said there's an issue with the card and they have a fix for it to your web shop or, you could take it upon yourself and start a RMA with evga directly. It's an exceptionally smooth and quick procedure and I personally, recommend it much more than going through your web shop/store. They usually don't even ship card back to the manufacturer. They instead, give them back to their distributor and it could be a month or so before that happen, let alone the time it will take them to get a new card back to you. Also, you'll have no guarantee to get a fixed card. 

Only card produced after the fix was implemented do include it, if your shop got back to you a card that was produced in let's say March, it COULD (not every 980 FTW has this problem) still be one with the same issue. Handling the RMA yourself by dealing directly with EVGA is the best course of action you can take to get your card back in a reasonable amount of time (in my experience the turnaround time has been 6 working days) and most importantly a card that will DEFINITELY have the fix implemented. Best of luck

Thank you. I start a RMA then when i get back the card.

dreap
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/08/31 05:53:40 (permalink)
wish i would of seen this before purchasing mine - rma rma rma fails since feb this year they decided to send me a new card its worked for 2 months just started failing again today black screen lockups, i give up, i took the issue to bbb cause it took so long to resolve and getting run around. I have 3 machines i have tried this card in all fail and i have 680s still running in the machines without issue, tried everything in the book! these cards are garbage, to save face they should let us just pay or jump to a different model as i dont trust the cards and i dont trust the company anymore. $600 paper weight for the desk!
Taene
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/01 07:53:11 (permalink)
Meh...
EVGA tries to help me with every possible solution, but at the end, it's the same result:
youtube.   /watch?v=pRRSUN4ghR8
Crash after crash.
Is this RMA thing going to be long?

post edited by Taene - 2015/09/01 07:57:15

Samsander
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/04 12:58:03 (permalink)
Taene
Crash after crash.

Yes. And you will pay for the shipping.
Jetster
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/04 14:23:45 (permalink)
Well, I bought the GTX980 FTW. After 10 min it started having artifacts. And guess what EVGA. I don't pay return shipping. Sent it back to Newegg. Just a little suggestion here. I love my EVGA GTX780 SC its a very durable card. But you guys dropped the ball on the quality on this card, and clearly you did not send out enough samples to stress test them. Or the reviewers are not testing the cards? The finish was sloppy and stickers weren't applied in a professional way.
Ive been a reviewer for over 10 years. I have RMA ed EVGA parts in the past and I 'm aware you make costumers pay return shipping unless you pay for a premium support. Well I'm not sure what Ill get next but I'm thinking MSI or Gigabyte. There reviews are perfect. But I'm willing to consider EVGA in the future I just though I would give you some feedback here. Also if you need any reviewers just PM me here. Good luck  
post edited by Jetster - 2015/09/04 14:34:34
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/04 14:58:14 (permalink)
Why you don't want to pay return?
That's normal procedure worldwide for all products for all manufacturers.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/04 15:04:34 (permalink)
Taene
Meh...
EVGA tries to help me with every possible solution, but at the end, it's the same result:
Crash after crash.

This is example of chip overclocked 50-100MHz more than he can.
And all people should test first Skydiver, if this happen card is not good...
It's shame that someone sell such cards.
This is video of guy above on 980FTW.
I think that everybody should test cards first in Skydiver than other tests.
Only is weird how she didn't crash and 15-20 seconds before where power target is highest...

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/09/04 15:09:26

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Jetster
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/04 15:39:04 (permalink)
Vlada011
Why you don't want to pay return?
That's normal procedure worldwide for all products for all manufacturers.

Normal?  From EVGAs own policy "EVGA may assist with offering a prepaid shipping label, if requested, within 30 days of the original purchase date from an authorized reseller"  Its about standing behind your products. Many others do not charge RMA shipping. Now they may try but if you push the issue its usually covered. Anyway Newegg didn't charge so i went that route. So why didn't I call EVGA and ask for return shipping. Because I've been down that route. They said no in spite of the policy. It was a cheap PSU. Now I expect a lower end part to fail occasionally bot not a high end card. Cover the shipping for your costumers this is EVGA fault. 
post edited by Jetster - 2015/09/04 15:55:43
Red46
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/05 03:31:50 (permalink)

Taene
Meh...
Crash after crash.

I am in Italy and for me the RMA process, from the moment I gave the card to the courier to the moment the courier gave it back to me took around 6 working days both times. Tell evga that you want to open a RMA because your FTW is affected by an issue that is KNOWN to happen on some of those cards. Link them to this thread if you have to. Then, do like I did and kindly ask them to issue you a prepaid shipping label as this is not your fault, they issued me one both times without any issue. The issue is not with the chip clocks, the issue is something else. The card I got back from EVGA with the fix installed, boosts far higher than both my 2 previous 980 FTW and doesn't crash. Whatever was the issue is now fixed and you can expect to have a stable card once you get it back from RMA.
Jetster
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2015/09/05 03:44:51 (permalink)
Red46

I am in Italy and for me the RMA process, from the moment I gave the card to the courier to the moment the courier gave it back to me took around 6 working days both times. Tell evga that you want to open a RMA because your FTW is affected by an issue that is KNOWN to happen on some of those cards. Link them to this thread if you have to. Then, do like I did and kindly ask them to issue you a prepaid shipping label as this is not your fault, they issued me one both times without any issue. The issue is not with the chip clocks, the issue is something else. The card I got back from EVGA with the fix installed, boosts far higher than both my 2 previous 980 FTW and doesn't crash. Whatever was the issue is now fixed and you can expect to have a stable card once you get it back from RMA.

That's good to hear
torch327
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 205
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2017/11/19 10:11:34 (permalink)
I apologize for the necro post,but this posting and everything in it applies to my situation.
My 980ftw was purchased as an add in to this older system and then given to me as a birthday present,because I was planning on getting back into PC gaming with my Dad. My issues started immediately with Final Fantasy XiV,but I assumed it was the game due to so many other issues that others were having and that I ran Defiance with no issues.

I've played Destiny since Beta and was super excited to play Destiny 2 on PC(even talked my Dad into purchasing it). It suffered the same no signal issues issues that FFXIV did.

took the card to my Dad's house and he removed his 2 980ti's that played Destiny 2 with no issues and installed my card and drivers and within 10 minutes no signal to monitor.

I called tech support yesterday to RMA it and discovered that my 2 options were to 1) pay msrp for a card to be shipped or 2) send my card in and wait for a replacement to be shipped. Paying msrp($500+) isn't an option for me at the time(trip from Michigan to Tennessee for Thanksgiving at my daughter in laws takes priority) and I also use my PC for work so no card=no work=loss of income.

I had actually read this posting prior to RMA and was hopeful that the Advanced RMA due to it being discovered as an issue with cards manufactured during a certain time period. My card was actually Manufactured is this time period it just hadn't been used for any serious gaming until Destiny 2 was released so I had no idea that it was going to develop this issue until I tried playing it and would lose signal sometimes as soon as I started playing, while other times I could play for as long as an hour. As a last ditch effort(prior to finding this post) I even downgraded back to windows 7.

I started this post fhttps://forums.evga.com/W...vailable-m2732686.aspx curiosity because I had talked the wife into letting me buy a 2nd card for SLI(before the issue was discovered) if I could find one reasonably priced(nope) and if not then I was going to get a 1070 after xmas and another a couple of months later.

For the most part I like the specs of the 6Gb 1060 accept for it being 192 bit and no sli support,this is the big one for me since I do want to run SLI eventually for the games that support for the extra performance. When it comes to single card performance my the 980ftw and the 6GB 1060 are extremely close, BUT the 1060 doesn't support SLI which is technically a downgrade in performance since I cant run them in SLI like I could my 980 FTW if it 1)didn't have this issue and 2) I found a 2nd card to SLI it. My opinion is a 980ti(available at least in B-stock as of typing this https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-0998-RX) or a 1070 would be considered as a same performance or better as the RMA policy states. Losing a feature like SLI isn't an upgrade if someone purchased a card with the intentions of SLI, when the card was purchased it was purchased with the intent of my purchasing a 2nd card when I was able to for SLI purposes.

MSI MPG x570 gaming edge wifi
ryzen 9 5900x
WD Black 500GB SSD
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 v2
https://www.heatware.com/u/113799/to
Taene
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2017/11/19 10:44:46 (permalink)
torch327
I apologize for the necro post,but this posting and everything in it applies to my situation.
My 980ftw was purchased as an add in to this older system and then given to me as a birthday present,because I was planning on getting back into PC gaming with my Dad. My issues started immediately with Final Fantasy XiV,but I assumed it was the game due to so many other issues that others were having and that I ran Defiance with no issues.

I've played Destiny since Beta and was super excited to play Destiny 2 on PC(even talked my Dad into purchasing it). It suffered the same no signal issues issues that FFXIV did.

took the card to my Dad's house and he removed his 2 980ti's that played Destiny 2 with no issues and installed my card and drivers and within 10 minutes no signal to monitor.

I called tech support yesterday to RMA it and discovered that my 2 options were to 1) pay msrp for a card to be shipped or 2) send my card in and wait for a replacement to be shipped. Paying msrp($500+) isn't an option for me at the time(trip from Michigan to Tennessee for Thanksgiving at my daughter in laws takes priority) and I also use my PC for work so no card=no work=loss of income.

I had actually read this posting prior to RMA and was hopeful that the Advanced RMA due to it being discovered as an issue with cards manufactured during a certain time period. My card was actually Manufactured is this time period it just hadn't been used for any serious gaming until Destiny 2 was released so I had no idea that it was going to develop this issue until I tried playing it and would lose signal sometimes as soon as I started playing, while other times I could play for as long as an hour. As a last ditch effort(prior to finding this post) I even downgraded back to windows 7.

I started this post f curiosity because I had talked the wife into letting me buy a 2nd card for SLI(before the issue was discovered) if I could find one reasonably priced(nope) and if not then I was going to get a 1070 after xmas and another a couple of months later.

For the most part I like the specs of the 6Gb 1060 accept for it being 192 bit and no sli support,this is the big one for me since I do want to run SLI eventually for the games that support for the extra performance. When it comes to single card performance my the 980ftw and the 6GB 1060 are extremely close, BUT the 1060 doesn't support SLI which is technically a downgrade in performance since I cant run them in SLI like I could my 980 FTW if it 1)didn't have this issue and 2) I found a 2nd card to SLI it. My opinion is a 980ti(available at least in B-stock as of typing this ) or a 1070 would be considered as a same performance or better as the RMA policy states. Losing a feature like SLI isn't an upgrade if someone purchased a card with the intentions of SLI, when the card was purchased it was purchased with the intent of my purchasing a 2nd card when I was able to for SLI purposes.

So there are still cards out there which is failing...
Sadly, it happened to me aswell, that the card was failing on some games instantly, but at some game the card did not show any problems at all.
I was confused that maybe my setup has a weak link(PSU or Motherboard). 
But then in this forum, someone told me that i should test it with 3DMark Sky Diver.
After that, no matter what Operating System or Drivers, the card failed every time on the 3DMark Sky Diver.
On youtube search for 3DMark Sky Diver - at 2:29, my card just stopped working every time. 
The PC kept running, but the video signal just stopped. My monitor did not turned off, it was just blank.
I sent the card back to Germany for RMA and they sent me new card and a report that my original card was defective.
Got a new card and from that day, the card and the PC is working perfectly.
post edited by Taene - 2017/11/19 10:48:12

torch327
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2017/11/19 11:03:14 (permalink)
Taene

Sadly, it happened to me aswell, that the card was failing on some games instantly, but at some game the card did not show any problems at all.
But then in this forum, someone told me that i should test it with 3DMark Sky Diver.
After that, no matter what Operating System or Drivers, the card failed every time on the 3DMark Sky Diver.
On youtube search for 3DMark Sky Diver - at 2:29, my card just stopped working every time. 
The PC kept running, but the video signal just stopped. My monitor did not turned off, it was just blank.
I sent the card back to Germany for RMA and they sent me new card and a report that my original card was defective.

I more than likely would have had this issue a long time ago had I actually been playing newer games at the time, I had them with FFXIV,but assumed it was the game as it had other issues as well, it wasn't until Destiny 2 came out that I and came to the forums that I discovered I had one of the bad cards

ryzen 9 5900x
WD Black 500GB SSD
KrayKaz
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2017/12/28 19:55:13 (permalink)
Taene

Sorry to be another necro - but I didn't want to start a post about something that already had a long life to begin with.

I am having an issue with my 980FTW, have been for some time now. I have tried pretty much every trick in the book both from reading other forums and through talking to EVGA directly (who btw, never once offer the RMA option, which I am actually surprised by).

I have noticed though that my card seems to only have / show problems or symptoms with certain games. And until recently, was only creating a minor nuisance when playing those game. I have no problem with games like PUBG or even other graphically demanding titles. The one game that seems to be killing my card (which leads to a complete system lock up, not even just a temporary black screen anymore), is Rocket League. I will play with this game for a few matches before I even have a problem, but for some reason when the problem happens, it's complete system failure. There have been very few other games that have given problems, and I even try to watch Precision XOC to see what is happening, but can never tell because my second monitor (where XOC is), is the first thing to black out.

Has anyone seen or heard of any fixes for this issue at this point? Or am I just biting the bullet and getting a new graphics card?
torch327
Superclocked Member
Re: So GTX 980 FTW are very bad cards? 2017/12/29 17:14:34 (permalink)
KrayKaz
Taene

Sorry to be another necro - but I didn't want to start a post about something that already had a long life to begin with.

I am having an issue with my 980FTW, have been for some time now. I have tried pretty much every trick in the book both from reading other forums and through talking to EVGA directly (who btw, never once offer the RMA option, which I am actually surprised by).

I have noticed though that my card seems to only have / show problems or symptoms with certain games. And until recently, was only creating a minor nuisance when playing those game. I have no problem with games like PUBG or even other graphically demanding titles. The one game that seems to be killing my card (which leads to a complete system lock up, not even just a temporary black screen anymore), is Rocket League. I will play with this game for a few matches before I even have a problem, but for some reason when the problem happens, it's complete system failure. There have been very few other games that have given problems, and I even try to watch Precision XOC to see what is happening, but can never tell because my second monitor (where XOC is), is the first thing to black out.

Has anyone seen or heard of any fixes for this issue at this point? Or am I just biting the bullet and getting a new graphics card?

Try this
 https://forums.evga.com/Basic-troubleshooting-steps-Windows-clean-boot-clean-driver-install-debug-mode-etc-m2504606.aspx
Only thing that made my card run stable was running it in Debug mode everytime I booted my PC.
Mine finally got approved for RMA,of course after I bought a new card, so now I have a 980ftw in a sealed package that i'll either sell or keep for back up.

ryzen 9 5900x
WD Black 500GB SSD
Page: << < ..16171819 Showing page 19 of 19
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile