Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta

Author
houkom
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1283
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2015/08/28 01:06:08 (permalink)
Been playing a few hours (almost a solid 4 hours) so far and just kind of wanted to share some thoughts with everyone since not everyone is gonna have beta access/will preorder just to be able to play the beta.

This game kind of tones the franchise back down a little bit. Now i sat out of Call of Duty since Black Ops 1 and only picked up CoD: AW when it was on sale because it had some new ideas that I thought could be fun for the mechanics. I was wrong. AW had exo abilities like healing, or shields, or invisibility and in-air maneuvers and blah blah blah. That made for a real tiresome multiplayer experience in my opinion. It became a game of who had the most stacked exo abilities rather than who could actually shoot and play. In steps Black Ops 3.

The game has kept the upward mechanics that were introduced in AW. What I mean by that is that the double jump seems like it is here to stay butttt with one good exception; there are no IN AIR MANEUVERS. You cant double jump and then hit control to go back down. You cant double jump to truly spring you forward like you could in AW. The double jump is more like having a "booster pack" attached to your back and yes you can go up but it really does nothing but glide you up when compared to the "jerky" or "dodgy" gameplay that became so freaking prevalent in AW. The newest addition that was brought into the game is wall running. Yes, exactly like Titanfall. You certainly can wall run and jump off walls and string together a long chain of jumps and runs and whatnot but in all honestly, the maps are not big enough for them to truly be used THAT OFTEN. I ended up finding myself using them to get to enemies in well-known locations or to hopefully stealthily flank them but there is a sound that is played when you double jump or wall run so, really, youre not being as inconspicuous as you would hope and that helps balance things out. 

Each class has a "super" ability kind of like Destiny. It requires a recharge time and can only be used for a set duration once activated during the game before it has to have a cooldown. I chose what is practically equivalent to an AWP (or GoldenEye Golden Gun for you that dont play counter strike) and it allows me to get maybe 1-2 solid 1 shot kills and then im either killed or the ability runs out and has to recharge. Another "Super" that can be used is a "ground pound". It's more like an AOE and any opposing team member that is in the small like 10ft vicinity is 1 shotted so it is amazing for charging into close-quartered groups but to be honest the highest amount of kills i saw with that ability was 3 at once and he was only able to do that 1 time in the game, otherwise it was mainly 1 here, maybe another over there right before it runs out.\

Weaponry is pretty awesome. So far i have not seen anything that is super outstanding in terms of sheer overpower-ness. Everything seems pretty well balanced and whole. I did not see myself or others truly face rolling with a certain weapon yet. Yes there are those shotty scrubs that run around and can seemingly get you insanely quick but I feel like that's almost a staple of Call of Duty games at this point. Shotty "sniping" is out...  or at least no one has done it yet that i was experiencing

Issues:
(My specs are in my sig)
I found myself having to stick everything on HIGH and turning Anti-Aliasing off completely. I also turned off Dynamic Sun Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, and Order Independent Transparency (which then turns off volumetric lighting).

The issue was NOT FPS based but it created this insanely weird in-game lag. When it ran, it was running consistently right around 100-110 FPS but yet there would be this game-freezing choppiness that ensued that prevented my character from moving or from being to even follow someone in my crosshairs as the game would just go all choppy and crazy. With all these things turned off, the game was pretty darn enjoyable and graphically was fairly pretty. I'm not gonna be hyper critical of these issues because right now this was a BETA and i expect these kinds of things from a beta. I remember Crysis 3 beta and trying to play online with that... holy crap. The final product was night and day different performance wise from the beta so I'm expecting that I would actually get to utilize the horsepower of my computer for these extra things when the final product comes :)

Overall, I personally believe that this CoD is better than most of the last few "generations" of it. It feels more balanced already and not just a complete faceroll left and right. I definitely wouldnt say that it's in the same league as the initial CoD:MW but I definitely had more fun playing this one that I have had even watching gameplay of the last few versions.

I hope this helps some people! 

Edit: Oh yea.... they also brought back servers. When you are playing you have a ping that is constantly updating and not just a "Reception Bar". Also if you hit escape while in a match, it will show you what percentage of packets youre currently losing. Thought that was refreshing to see because lets face it... Host-based games suckkkkk.
post edited by houkom - 2015/08/28 01:13:26

13900k | 64GB Trident Z5 6400mhz | MSI Z790 CARBON WIFI | MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM X |  2TB Sabrent Rocket | 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | Corsair AX1200

18 Replies Related Threads

jamjakpa
    • Total Posts : 63
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 01:21:31 (permalink)
    Hey thanks for your thoughts . I have a question. Does blackops 3, the maps has a lot of open areas or is it full with buildings and corners. And how is the movements in the game is it smooth , does it has a feeling of free movement like 180 or 360 or are the movements like robots stiff. And another question the standard deagle or gun how many bullets do you need to kill one in closeup range mid and far ? Thanks you In advance I know my question kinda not the usuall question it's a bit deep..sorry
    :) but as I said thanks in advance

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H90 CW-9060013-WW Water Cooler
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8 GB ) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Nvidia GTX Titan X
    OCZ ARC 100 ARC100-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3 (6.0 Gb/S) 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
    SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE - OEM
    Rosewill LIGHTNING-1300 1300W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire
    Ready, Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    LOGISYS 12 inch GREEN Cold Cat
    houkom
    FTW Member
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 04:21:44 (permalink)
    jamjakpa
    Hey thanks for your thoughts . I have a question. Does blackops 3, the maps has a lot of open areas or is it full with buildings and corners. And how is the movements in the game is it smooth , does it has a feeling of free movement like 180 or 360 or are the movements like robots stiff. And another question the standard deagle or gun how many bullets do you need to kill one in closeup range mid and far ? Thanks you In advance I know my question kinda not the usuall question it's a bit deep..sorry
    :) but as I said thanks in advance

No problem dude!! Let me try to answer them in the order you asked!

The maps have a lot of corners. Not a ton of camping spaces but not wide open areas either. There is a faster flow with the maps. Definitely not much opportunity to set up a tent and hunker down. The movement is pretty darn free flowing. My mouse is the logitech g502. I have it set at 12000 dpi and my in-game sensitivity is 1.75. Turning is fluid and accurate and definitely not cumbersome. Movements are fairly similar to the rest of the Call of Duty. You have less drastic movement left/right when youre running but turning while running yields a very accurate response. So i used the "standard loadout" which consisted of a slightly modified AK74 type setup. I sometimes Id kill people in as little as 7 bullets (not necessarily 7 hits, but only used 7 bullets total) but sometimes at a greater distance when spraying i could end up using half a mag. It is definitely dependent on where you are hitting the person. Legs/feet yield very little damage but upper torso is easy to chip away at someones health and headshots are seemingly easier to get with your standard rifle than they have been in the past. Most of the kills at mid range will happen in under 10 shots with a rifle (which is super quick when holding the trigger down). I havent played much with pistols yet as you have to unlock them as you go and I've been enjoying myself with my AK setup!

13900k | 64GB Trident Z5 6400mhz | MSI Z790 CARBON WIFI | MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM X |  2TB Sabrent Rocket | 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | Corsair AX1200

vincinator44
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 04:51:22 (permalink)
    Visually I think it looks like Ghost. Also this game is very fast, so you're forced to run around with reckless abandon, slide and boost. Much better than AW, but maybe not for old guys who creep around and value their life.

It gives you values for ping, so you can see what others are connected at. Still seems like there is lag (even everyone in the lobby was 60ms). 
    walksonpoo
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1816
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 07:48:15 (permalink)
    I'm glad i was able to play the beta. Not that i was interested in ANOTHER future themed COD. It plays well, and have had no issues, but again, i am skipping this one just like i did Ghost.

Ryzen 7 3700X | EVGA CLC 240 | MSI MPG X570 GAMING Edge WIFI | MSI RTX 2060 VENTUS | T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 4000MHz | SeaSonic Focus PSU | NZXT H710 

jamjakpa
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 08:54:47 (permalink)
    Thank you so so much for my request on regarding my deep questions. And thank you for your time to answer it. Like for instance call of duty advanced I figured out you get mostly shot by a third person not the one you actually have a fight with. And the other thing I have observed is Tha tyou get mostly shot in back some shots you or kill you from the back. And I figured out on the maps as more corners are on the map the more you get shot in the back instead of front shot. I am so thankfully that there are people like you and me who are really sensitive and sensible with high alert attention in game it's elf in deep observation and see those little details . Thank you buddy. I really preachiated !

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8 GB ) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Nvidia GTX Titan X
    OCZ ARC 100 ARC100-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3 (6.0 Gb/S) 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
    SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE - OEM
    Rosewill LIGHTNING-1300 1300W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire
    jamjakpa
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 09:01:23 (permalink)
    Houkom I also have forgot to ask you can you stop the seconds the use of the standard gun in blackops3 from passive holding to aiming the gap between from passive holding to aiming. And if all the weapons have the same gap duration time from passive to aiming . Thank you !

Nvidia GTX Titan X
    houkom
    FTW Member
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 12:05:53 (permalink)
    jamjakpa
    Houkom I also have forgot to ask you can you stop the seconds the use of the standard gun in blackops3 from passive holding to aiming the gap between from passive holding to aiming. And if all the weapons have the same gap duration time from passive to aiming . Thank you !

Just woke up (work night shift) so let me fire this game up a bit and see if i can give you a little more insight in the responsiveness of "aiming down sights". To agree with vincinator above, the game is definitely fast paced. I fear that the days of being able to camp and snipe across the map are truly gone (Crossfire/Overgrown in MW, Wasteland/Estate in MW2) and that the sniper has gained a more "quickscope mastery" quality to it.

Edit: The shotgun is pretty darn fun to play. It is insanely responsive when it comes to trying to use your sights while running. Your character immediately brings up the siights of the shotgun and youre aiming in no time. The word that i would use here is "snappy". Usually to get that type of snappy response from a weapon, you would have to employ "Fast hands" which is a perk that allows faster aiming down sights.  The kill area drops off drastically like it should. If a person is danger-close you will 1 hit them instantly. If the person is out 10-15 yards, you will require a couple shots to get them and anything beyond roughly 20 yards in the game is just not gonna happen. I wasnt even HITTING anything greater than 20yds away. I could maybe get small hits (indicated by the sound played compared to when you hit someone close) at short to medium range (<20 yards) but even then my crosshairs were the size of my screen and the sense/expectation of accuracy was completely gone. 

Overall i would say that all the weapons seem to have the same gap duration between passive and aiming. They arent tailored to each specific weapon. I find myself fluidly being able to go from one class to another and still being able to aim the same way. I dont have to "wait a little longer" to get my sniper rifle out as i would my pistol. I know that some people prefer there to be individually timed "skins" because it only makes sense to make it more real but that's almost impossible to have right now. The maps are so fast paced that i feel like they would honestly upset the community TOO much if they did that because people would then utilize weapon builds that are "fast", not because they actually like to use those weapons.
    post edited by houkom - 2015/08/28 12:40:40

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 18:55:40 (permalink)

Thanks for the briefing. I will play this weekend. Can't wait.   

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 21:07:50 (permalink)
    The game is bad. It is a mix of Advanced Warfare, a horrible game, and BLOPS 2 (also not all that great).... The game is junk and will be. Every year everyone gets hyped, every year the game falls faster in player count. 
    EVGATech_GabrielT
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1104
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/28 23:32:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the review. 
    tinmann
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/29 14:25:48 (permalink)
    Servers? Did I hear right? I'm downloading the Beta as I type this. Dedicated servers might just bring me back to the Modern Warfare franchise. Anyone know what anti-cheat if any they are going to use? Even Punkbuster as slow as it is to ban cheaters would be far better than what they have been using.
    Update: It maybe that it's not optimized for sli yet because it played like crap on my current setup. I felt as if I were plodding along, it's not as fast paced as BO2 for sure. I guess for a console game it might do well but I don't own or plan on purchasing a console so I'm going to pass on this one also.
    post edited by tinmann - 2015/08/29 16:58:51

Corsair 540 Air/ Silver
    Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 
    Intel Core i7 5820K
    G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4-3000 16Gbs
    Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT
    Seasonic Platinum-1200w PSU
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gamer 6G SLI
    Crucial BX100 500Gb SSD
    Corsair Vengeance 2100 7.1 Headset
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Dell U3415W 34" Curved 3440x1440 Monitor 
    NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/29 19:00:06 (permalink)
    That's because it's still a beta. It's not in its final state.

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/29 19:15:38 (permalink)
    I downloaded it but I cannot seem to get into the servers

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    robkent2002
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/30 13:01:11 (permalink)
    Bo3 is really fun, however I am running into memory issues. When I start it up, my committed memory goes to 12 GB, then when I actually join a game it goes over 16 GB causing me to crash with a low memory warning, see attached images. Disabling SLI seemed to help and I was actually able to play a few matches. See below attached images. For comparison I've included Witcher 3 at absolutely max everything for memory usage comparison.

My Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K (not overclocked, liquid cooled with Corsair H80i)
    GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti's (stock as well, no liquid cooling)
    MOBO: EVGA x99 Classified
    RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 4 series PC4-26400 (not over clocked, no room to install fans)
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200W
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (OS)
            Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Gaming)
    HDD: 4 TB Seagate Hybrid STCL4000400
    Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
    Monitor: Ben-Q XL2720Z 144HZ
    nVidia Driver: 355.60
    post edited by robkent2002 - 2015/08/30 13:04:37

Attached Image(s)

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/30 14:31:44 (permalink)
    robkent2002
    Bo3 is really fun, however I am running into memory issues. When I start it up, my committed memory goes to 12 GB, then when I actually join a game it goes over 16 GB causing me to crash with a low memory warning, see attached images. Disabling SLI seemed to help and I was actually able to play a few matches. See below attached images. For comparison I've included Witcher 3 at absolutely max everything for memory usage comparison.

My Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K (not overclocked, liquid cooled with Corsair H80i)
    GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti's (stock as well, no liquid cooling)
    MOBO: EVGA x99 Classified
    RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 4 series PC4-26400 (not over clocked, no room to install fans)
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200W
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (OS)
            Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (Gaming)
    HDD: 4 TB Seagate Hybrid STCL4000400
    Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
    Monitor: Ben-Q XL2720Z 144HZ

I got a memory crash. I uninstalled that junk. The game is not good at all. EDIT: Wait, don't we already have one of these threads?
    houkom
    FTW Member
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/30 21:45:55 (permalink)
    robkent2002

You're also running 355.60 Nvidia drivers and the 355.80 hotfix fixes sli issues in a ton of games. I understand that youre on Win 8.1 but at the same time, it wouldnt hurt to try 355.80. Also disabling the things i said in my original post allowed me as a SLI user to fully use SLI in this game with no issues. Having those 3 things enabled created a nightmare of issues for me. See below.

houkom
    I also turned off Dynamic Sun Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, and Order Independent Transparency (which then turns off volumetric lighting).

willem445
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4461
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/31 13:50:30 (permalink)
    Is input lag bad? I heard somewhere that the input was tied to your frames, On 4K the input lag was awful. 
    houkom
    FTW Member
    Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Beta 2015/08/31 23:41:27 (permalink)
    willem445
    Is input lag bad? I heard somewhere that the input was tied to your frames, On 4K the input lag was awful. 

Never had an issue with input lag. Turned off Input smoothing or whatever it is called in the control settings. Turning it to 0 created no delay. Initially it's set at 4 and yes there is a prevalent input lag. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile