EVGA

980ti sc acx 2: video_tdr_failure. No video after post

Author
bojangles25
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/08/30 04:43:49 (permalink)
Last night my system died while I was playing Arkham Origins. I've had the 980ti SC Acx2 for about 2 weeks now (built a new skylake system).

After post the card just shows a grid of red dots then a black screen. Sometimes after about 5 mins windows will bluescreen with video_tdr_error. After this happened and because I couldn't get Windows to start, I reinstalled windows, which goes fine until you install the nvidia driver and reboot; then I just get the same thing, red artefacts then black screen. I can get into safe mode but I've now tried 2 drivers and 2 windows installations with the same results.

With another monitor via DVI, the system behaves the same way, black screen after post, possibly followed by video_tdr_failure, but via DVI the red spots are always there, during post and when running safe mode or UEFI

I've removed the card and connected displayport to on board graphics and that works OK. 

Any suggestions? Could it be that the card suffered permanent heat damage?

3 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 980ti sc acx 2: video_tdr_failure. No video after post 2015/08/30 08:24:21 (permalink)
    Really looks like it is time to RMA the card. 

There is a slight chance that it is the PSU, but it is just a tiny chance since this happens during POST and gets worse only with Nvidia drivers installed.
    bojangles25
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 980ti sc acx 2: video_tdr_failure. No video after post 2015/08/30 08:26:26 (permalink)
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking too :( PSU is well within the recommendations in both wattage and 12v rail

It's the usual worry though: if I get another one how likely is it to happen again
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 980ti sc acx 2: video_tdr_failure. No video after post 2015/08/30 09:33:06 (permalink)
    If it happens again after your get the replacement card, then you need to look at the rest of the system - such as the power supply - because it might be failing and causing that problem.

You should also make sure that you have decent intake and outtake fans in your case - the ACX style coolers exhaust most of their waste heat right back into the case, and if you don't have decent ventilation that can be a "very bad thing."

Regardless, you are covered by EVGA's warranty.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile