EVGA

Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Updates

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/08/28 12:22:34 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

17 Replies Related Threads

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/28 14:33:32 (permalink)
    I was part of those suggestions

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/28 15:51:28 (permalink)
    Still not going to the dark side. They will have to do better than that but it's a step in the right direction.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/28 16:47:27 (permalink)
    It's enough the get me to take a second look but the data mining still bothers me.
    loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/28 17:54:27 (permalink)
    Edit - It's only for apps from there stupid store, not drivers and other software. So still useless.
    post edited by loveha - 2015/08/28 17:58:12

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/29 06:45:51 (permalink)
    I think the people who are  anti update are also the same people who dislike cars that brakes for you if you get to close to another car... how did you guys cope with anti lock brakes when that came out?  :P

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/29 07:18:55 (permalink)
    I'm not anti-update. I'm just against my PC rebooting in the middle of the night when I'm Folding. I choose to 'Notify' me when updates are available and 'Let me decide' which updates to download and install. I always installed all recommended and important updates but now I have to sift through them to be sure they're not trying to sneak a telemetry snooper past me. 
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/29 08:01:33 (permalink)
    seth89
    I think the people who are  anti update are also the same people who dislike cars that brakes for you if you get to close to another car... how did you guys cope with anti lock brakes when that came out?  :P

Just because their are those who don't share your viewpoint on the forced update issue, doesn't make them wrong.  There should be a choice (options).  Where you can let MS decide when and what it installs, and I get to choose what, if, and when I'll install their updates.

I for one prefer to know what is being installed on the PC I built and paid for.  I, like many others don't need MS babysitting.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/29 08:10:32 (permalink)
    I'm starting to wonder if my time would have been better spent trying to learn LINUX instead of Windows. You can even modify the snot out of their source code and nobody cares.
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/29 08:40:44 (permalink)
    bdary
    seth89

Just because their are those who don't share your viewpoint on the forced update issue, doesn't make them wrong.  There should be a choice (options).  Where you can let MS decide when and what it installs, and I get to choose what, if, and when I'll install their updates.

I for one prefer to know what is being installed on the PC I built and paid for.  I, like many others don't need MS babysitting.

Although I agree and respect both of your point of views, keep in mind that nothing is free in this life, so with that said, expect something in return to get something free.  The reason it doesn't bother me if MS is snooping on my HDD, because the HDD i have W10 is a stand alone HDD for games only, which means, all MS is going to see is the PWNER stats I have in my games library.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/29 10:35:02 (permalink)
    I don't think anyone is wrong, people are just over reacting.
    MS will listen to our request and adjust from there. 

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/30 09:13:59 (permalink)
    atfrico
    bdary
    seth89

Although I agree and respect both of your point of views, keep in mind that nothing is free in this life, so with that said, expect something in return to get something free.  The reason it doesn't bother me if MS is snooping on my HDD, because the HDD i have W10 is a stand alone HDD for games only, which means, all MS is going to see is the PWNER stats I have in my games library.

Not sure what you're referring to here?  "keep in mind that nothing is free in this life"

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/30 09:18:46 (permalink)
    seth89
    I don't think anyone is wrong, people are just over reacting.
    MS will listen to our request and adjust from there. 

It's taken all this "over reaction" to finally begin to get MS to start changing.  This was brought to their attention many times on the Insider Preview forum and through the feedback process with no budging from MS.

If we all just sit back & say nothing, nothing is what we'll get...

KLEYBA
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 936
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/30 10:21:04 (permalink)
    why don't they address the BIGGEST issue?  spying! 
    Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/08/30 10:35:56 (permalink)
    .....as I predicted weeks ago. They would succumb to the masses!

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/09/01 14:15:15 (permalink)
    A step in the right direction, but still more to go.  Fine have telemetry updates, put them in their own category, "Telemetry", like security and whatnot, then just choose not to install those (Never happen, I know).  People will find a way around it, always do.  But I think this is a good step, just need a few more of them and we will be good.
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8328
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/09/01 14:26:34 (permalink)
    Agree with you DaveB.  There are a lot of good people in this forum that are really saavy as far as hardware / software go.  Having spent some years here...I believe that the biggest issue is not "something to hide" but the fact that someone can look over your shoulder and "invade your personal space".  I am not against Microsoft forcing updates that help security with the OS and improve the kernel.  It's the forced hardware updates that seem to cause people a lot of issues and stress.  Bad video drivers...read that each and every time Realtek releases "beta" drivers, etc...the downloads are constant and many complain of very poor quality.  I have a finely tweaked X99 system with a GTX 980 SC and want to keep it tweaked the way I can and do.  Some have ended up having to reinstall the OS because the drivers really messed with their systems.  All Microsoft needs to do is open their eyes and read.  The rest is plain to see!

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Microsoft Responds To Backlash, Allows Windows 10 Home Users To Disable Forced App Upd 2015/09/01 17:08:07 (permalink)
    bdary
    atfrico
    bdary
    seth89

Not sure what you're referring to here?  "keep in mind that nothing is free in this life"

He is referring to the free upgrade to Windows 10.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile