EVGA

Quakecon

Author
larzzz
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/29 10:41:19 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF where was EVGA this year at Quakecon? We had to deal with crappy Zotac as the graphics vendor this year :(. I think I saw you walking around taking pictures of a few cases. Hope to see you guys at Dreamhack next year!

17 Replies Related Threads

willem445
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4461
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Quakecon 2015/07/29 12:52:30 (permalink)
    According to Sling3r they were there.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Quakecon 2015/07/29 13:01:10 (permalink)

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    larzzz
    Re: Quakecon 2015/07/29 13:27:24 (permalink)
    When I went 2 years ago you guys had a booth where you were loaning out graphics cards for a nominal fee and shooting the bull with end users which was awesome. Just disappointed that for some reason Zotac got your spot. 
    clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5274
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Quakecon 2015/07/31 11:01:29 (permalink)
    They did not get a booth this year. I tried to get them to get one. It seemed a good fit. Jacob and Joe both stated they were so busy with other events but they really liked the huge turnout and will look into it next year. 

With the extended product line, it would make since for eVGA to have a booth again. I think after they saw MSI's booth, they will have one next year.

larzzz
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 08:21:20 (permalink)
    Hopefully they come to Dreamhack this next year. With this year Qcon fail I probably won't be back as a lot of others.
    willem445
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4461
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 08:27:04 (permalink)
    larzzz
    Hopefully they come to Dreamhack this next year. With this year Qcon fail I probably won't be back as a lot of others.

Why was it a fail?
    clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 10:31:14 (permalink)
    Umm, I am curious to how or why Quakecon was a fail to larzzz?

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 10:35:27 (permalink)
    I haven't heard anything about Quakecon this year being a fail. Did they not give out as many t-shirts?

larzzz
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 14:17:19 (permalink)
    Go to the reddit link and search through the massive amount of dissatisfied Quakecon attendees. For me personally no EVGA which was sad, No PC Perspectives (This was because the guy was going to have a kid so he couldn't come which is understandable. I think that someone else could of done it but who knows.), the byoc was super hot most of the time, the vendor area was pretty bare, networking/lanning was unreliable and flaky, the Hilton's elevators were sketchy and I almost got stuck in one, the hired security was a joke. When I was going in to pack up my gear at the end of the Con the hired security when checking my bag asked me "Why do you nerds have so many zippers" I said this is my normal backpack she then asked a few more stupid questions and ended with well you better get moving before I ask you any more stupid questions., This was the 20th year and they did nothing special. When I came 2 years ago they gave away 1 or 2 cars if my memory serves me right., and it just seems like they are trying to get people to pay more and get significantly less of a product. In 2013 which was my first Con I paid $90 bucks for a QDQ. This year I paid $175 and got all these problems. I went to Dreamhack in Sweden. The cost of entry was ~$100. I understand that it costs to get a bunch to get over there but the experience is out of this world. Being able to watch real e-sports athletes compete for real money, live music, no blocks on the internet (DC++, file sharing, speedtest.net, etc...), and mostly the network is super solid. I went to one of their breakout sessions where they explained the network and how they all got it working in 5 days. They used crappy Cisco 2950 switches and have the networking down to a science and they have ~16k users on their network. Quakecon struggles with lan at 2,500 users. I think Dreamhack is going to be a breath of fresh air for the US Lan community. I predict that they will partner with Google fiber to provide a high speed reliable connection to the internet. Well I think I've rambled enough of why Qcon isn't going to get any more of my money to tell me what's not going to be at Qcon this next year. 

link: /r/quakecon

post edited by larzzz - 2015/08/03 14:21:41
    clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 19:04:50 (permalink)
    larzzz
    Go to the reddit link and search through the massive amount of dissatisfied Quakecon attendees. For me personally no EVGA which was sad, No PC Perspectives (This was because the guy was going to have a kid so he couldn't come which is understandable. I think that someone else could of done it but who knows.), the byoc was super hot most of the time, the vendor area was pretty bare, networking/lanning was unreliable and flaky, the Hilton's elevators were sketchy and I almost got stuck in one, the hired security was a joke. When I was going in to pack up my gear at the end of the Con the hired security when checking my bag asked me "Why do you nerds have so many zippers" I said this is my normal backpack she then asked a few more stupid questions and ended with well you better get moving before I ask you any more stupid questions., This was the 20th year and they did nothing special. When I came 2 years ago they gave away 1 or 2 cars if my memory serves me right., and it just seems like they are trying to get people to pay more and get significantly less of a product. In 2013 which was my first Con I paid $90 bucks for a QDQ. This year I paid $175 and got all these problems. I went to Dreamhack in Sweden. The cost of entry was ~$100. I understand that it costs to get a bunch to get over there but the experience is out of this world. Being able to watch real e-sports athletes compete for real money, live music, no blocks on the internet (DC++, file sharing, speedtest.net, etc...), and mostly the network is super solid. I went to one of their breakout sessions where they explained the network and how they all got it working in 5 days. They used crappy Cisco 2950 switches and have the networking down to a science and they have ~16k users on their network. Quakecon struggles with lan at 2,500 users. I think Dreamhack is going to be a breath of fresh air for the US Lan community. I predict that they will partner with Google fiber to provide a high speed reliable connection to the internet. Well I think I've rambled enough of why Qcon isn't going to get any more of my money to tell me what's not going to be at Qcon this next year. 

link: /r/quakecon

1. Pretty much everything in the reddit is the same issues.
    2. eVGA was a downer not having a booth. You can ask Jacob that I personally emailed them to get a booth( I am a  Senior Staff member at Quakecon)
    3. Ryan with PC Perspective cancelled b/c his child was born prematurely and was in the NICU.
    4. The issue with burning up a a/c coil is not Quakecon's fault but the Hilton's fault. And how is it Quakecon's fault the elevators were jacked up? Blame the Hilton.(for the record I got stuck in one myself).
    5. The vendor area was actually fuller than the 2 previous years.
    6. Their is a group of about 15 guys putting together a 3500 switch network in 3 days. (Yes, this is for all machines in the BYOC, tourney area, vendor area, main stage area, etc).
    7. The 3rd party security was a joke. The head of the event actually implemented volunteer security before the event started b/c we had 5 laptops stolen, so be grateful nothing else after happened. While that happened, a contracted person from the exhibit area ran out through bag check and a 13 year staff member was arrested on assault charges for doing his job...protecting Quakecon attendees.
    8. They did nothing special for the 20th year? I guess giving everyone at Quakecon the first chance to play DOOM was not enough. Giving people a chance to play Fallout 4 was not enough?
    9. Ventrillo has been a major sponsor of Quakecon since I have been attendee for 11 years. He provides whatever he would like. Yes, he has given away cars in the past: Corvette, Shelby GT500, Hennessey Velociraptor, and some Focuses. All we heard from attendees was they wanted a better chance to win a big prize. Last year he gave away two $10,000 cash gifts. This year three $10,000 cash gifts.
    10. Watch real e-sports? Quakecon is built off of id software, the maker of the FPS. Of course the only e-sports they will have are FPS of their titles. Pros come every year and the tourney this year was one of the best in recent years. I guess $40,000 in tournaments is not real money.
    11. Sorry but Zenimax, Bethesda, id software and all other Zenimax studios do not tolerate the illegal download or sharing of files. BTW, why do you really need to check your speedtest? Also, the NOC team specifically blocked speedtest this year to not eat up bandwidth for stupid reasons. It was awesome. You and everyone else in the BYOC got trolled.
    12. Austin Convention Center is actually a smaller venue then Quakecon, so good luck on thinking the first Dreamhack North America is going to out do Quakecon.
    13. It is your choice to come back next year or not. I will be going to Dreamhack b/c I love LANs, plain and simple.

Kigen
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 19:08:45 (permalink)
    AT&T only gives QuakeCon 2Gbps, for everything.  I wish Google Fiber would come to the DFW area, it'd really shake up the market. 

As far as the network itself, Steam had a bug.  Origin was wrecking the squid cache.  Apparently it does almost random range requests.  And yeah, one of the AC units above the NOC was broken.
    clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 19:13:24 (permalink)
    Kigen
    AT&T only gives QuakeCon 2Gbps, for everything.  I wish Google Fiber would come to the DFW area, it'd really shake up the market. 

As far as the network itself, Steam had a bug.  Origin was wrecking the squid cache.  Apparently it does almost random range requests.  And yeah, one of the AC units above the NOC was broken.

Yep, the NOC team was working overtime trying to get all the network issues resolved. Oh, and sorry we were blasting Hackers on the NOC. We were wanting to watch a movie. :)

Kigen
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 19:16:25 (permalink)
    clo007
    Kigen

Yep, the NOC team was working overtime trying to get all the network issues resolved. Oh, and sorry we were blasting Hackers on the NOC. We were wanting to watch a movie. :)

I had a UAC seat and was hearing that stuff at times.  I also volunteered and helped with NOC cabling and backbone.
    clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 19:28:05 (permalink)
    Sorry for the noise :) We let loose Saturday night. Bawls slushy machine and Hackers!

larzzz
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 20:25:58 (permalink)

1. Pretty much everything in the reddit is the same issues.
    2. eVGA was a downer not having a booth. You can ask Jacob that I personally emailed them to get a booth( I am a  Senior Staff member at Quakecon)
    3. Ryan with PC Perspective cancelled b/c his child was born prematurely and was in the NICU.
    4. The issue with burning up a a/c coil is not Quakecon's fault but the Hilton's fault. And how is it Quakecon's fault the elevators were jacked up? Blame the Hilton.(for the record I got stuck in one myself).
    5. The vendor area was actually fuller than the 2 previous years.
    6. Their is a group of about 15 guys putting together a 3500 switch network in 3 days. (Yes, this is for all machines in the BYOC, tourney area, vendor area, main stage area, etc).
    7. The 3rd party security was a joke. The head of the event actually implemented volunteer security before the event started b/c we had 5 laptops stolen, so be grateful nothing else after happened. While that happened, a contracted person from the exhibit area ran out through bag check and a 13 year staff member was arrested on assault charges for doing his job...protecting Quakecon attendees.
    8. They did nothing special for the 20th year? I guess giving everyone at Quakecon the first chance to play DOOM was not enough. Giving people a chance to play Fallout 4 was not enough?
    9. Ventrillo has been a major sponsor of Quakecon since I have been attendee for 11 years. He provides whatever he would like. Yes, he has given away cars in the past: Corvette, Shelby GT500, Hennessey Velociraptor, and some Focuses. All we heard from attendees was they wanted a better chance to win a big prize. Last year he gave away two $10,000 cash gifts. This year three $10,000 cash gifts.
    10. Watch real e-sports? Quakecon is built off of id software, the maker of the FPS. Of course the only e-sports they will have are FPS of their titles. Pros come every year and the tourney this year was one of the best in recent years. I guess $40,000 in tournaments is not real money.
    11. Sorry but Zenimax, Bethesda, id software and all other Zenimax studios do not tolerate the illegal download or sharing of files. BTW, why do you really need to check your speedtest? Also, the NOC team specifically blocked speedtest this year to not eat up bandwidth for stupid reasons. It was awesome. You and everyone else in the BYOC got trolled.
    12. Austin Convention Center is actually a smaller venue then Quakecon, so good luck on thinking the first Dreamhack North America is going to out do Quakecon.
    13. It is your choice to come back next year or not. I will be going to Dreamhack b/c I love LANs, plain and simple.

1. I agree there were a lot of things that this year people had problems with and were not resolved. 
    2. Bummed that EVGA wasn't there had to deal with crappy Zotac.
    3. I understand that Ryan couldn't make it but there was no one else that could of stepped in for him?
    4. I understand that it's the Hilton's fault with the A/C and elevators. The Hilton seem's like Quakecon is a nuisance to them. It seems like they try to keep us away from the real customers like we are a child that is annoying everyone.
    5. If by fuller you mean Doom trials took up half of the area I guess I agree. I remember 2 years ago having a lot more vendors there that you could actually buy things from other than t-shirts and what not.
    6. I agree that's a ton of work for 15 guys in 3 days. But it seems like they could be doing better. I understand that we only have a 2 GB connection to the real world. But Lan games were suffering as well. I was playing Black Op's on Lan with a friend at my table and we were getting unplayable lag. 
    7. The security was a job and super unprofessional that's all that needs to be said about that.
    8. Doom wasn't that big of a surprise. Everything seemed so unorganized this year. There wasn't a great way to disperse information. The projectors were at awkward angles for some seats so you couldn't see what was going on. Also, not everyone got great signal in the Byoc so the app might not have done that much good. Maybe next year think of having a captive portal page that shows events that are going on, net stats, other fun information. 2 years ago I also remember announcements coming over the PA so people didn't miss giveaways and whatnot. Just seemed like they were going to pull out all the stops for the 20th. But it wasn't as exciting or awesome than the one 2 years ago. I love lan'ing and have been all around the country doing it. When I came to Qcon 2 years ago I was blown away by the quality of the product. This year I was disappointed in having to pay almost double the cost of admission and getting a far less superior product.
    9. Thanks Ventrillo for being a great sponsor for gaming and being very generous!
    10. Dreamhack summer had $478,400 in prize money. I know that Qcon is all about Id but maybe they should sponsor other tourney's. Even if it's not for pros maybe just for the Byoc attendees give them a chance to win $500 in LOL or  Quake just a thought. 
    11. I understand that they don't condone downloading or sharing of files. But don't they opensource all their games at some point in time? Isn't that sharing files? Just because you are sharing files doesn't mean that they are all illegally downloaded. I don't need to check my speedtest but it's a freedom thing and also a network robustness test. When I went to Dreamhack I hammered on their network the entire Lan and I was never let down or unimpressed! 
    12. I would be willing to bet that if not the first Dreamhack but the second that it will be a bigger Byoc. I think that Dreamhack Austin will have more visitors the first year. By the second it will be much much larger than Qcon which is sad. I think someone did the math on space and the Austin convention center can hold ~10k. I don't think they will get half of that the first few years but it will grow.
    13. I love Lan'ing as well but next year Qcon will charge $200 for the QDQ and I can't justify that cost if the quality of product is decreasing every year. Like someone posted on reddit that it used to be new on what is going to be new at Qcon this year. But now it's just news on what isn't going to be at Qcon. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 20:32:15 (permalink)
    It's been over 10years since i been to quakecon. That was before they did any big giveaways like cars or 10k gift cards. They did give out video cards at random.

I still have a few Doom3 quakecon shirt.

larzzz
    Re: Quakecon 2015/08/03 20:34:47 (permalink)
    MSim
    It's been over 10years since i been to quakecon. That was before they did any big giveaways like cars or 10k gift cards. They did give out video cards at random.

I still have a few Doom3 quakecon shirt.

Nice! They didn't give out nearly as much swag this year. Before the stage events they used to throw out an obscene amount of shirts and swag. You couldn't help but fall on some sort of vendors shirt other things in previous years. That wasn't the case this year... :( 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile