EVGA

Helpful ReplyAnyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring?

Author
OrangeCarrot
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/08/02 13:50:11 (permalink)
Note this is all how I think it goes, first time build with zero knowledge on wiring, and the names of the cables.

The “img 1” above is one of the cables that came with the Corsair PSU I got, it is a PCI-E 8 Pin (4+4) PCI-E cable 8-pin (6+2) going into the left side of the GPU toward the edge (seen in “img 2”).

In “img 3 & 4” I then connect the first cable “PCI-E 8 Pin (4+4)” PCI-E 8-pin (6+2) wire that came with the power supply unit to the PSU on rail 2? for the “6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU” power section?

In “img 5” this cable came with the 980 Ti, looks like one 6-pin end splitting out into two male molex connectors?
In “img 6”, I then got a “4-pin peripheral” cable according to the PSU manual and connected both those male molex ends to the two females connectors.

In “img 7” I connected the 6-pin end to the right side away from the edge.
After that I…
In “img 8” I plug the cable that was away from the edge of the GPU with the “6-pin end splitting” cable & “4-pin peripheral” cable to the 1st rail? of the “Peripheral & SATA” power section?
That is what I think is correct for the 980 Ti.
Now for the CPU, and Mobo…

In “img 9” I get one cable that came with PSU, labeled “CPU”, [the manual says, “EPS/ATX 12v 8-pin (4+4)”] and connect the 8-pin end to the Motherboard. I assume this is power for the CPU.
In “img 10” I connect the other end not labeled “CPU” to the PSU on the 1st rail under the “6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU” power section.

In “img 11”, here I connect (according to the PSU manual) the “ATX 24-pin (20+4)” to the motherboard.
...then on “img 12” I connect the other 2 ends that separate out to the 24-pin ATX label on the PSU.
This is all a guess, I have zero knowledge and didn’t know where to begin researching the tons of cables out there, or looking through outdated information that doesn’t apply to this fairly recent hardware.
If I’m wrong let me know please (don’t want to burn my house down), I think this covers the power wiring for the GPU, CPU, and Mobo.
After this I'm going to probably need help with my NZXT case wiring (smaller wires).
post edited by OrangeCarrot - 2015/08/02 17:07:18
DarrelM
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 145
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/02 15:39:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby OrangeCarrot 2015/08/02 17:10:57
Hi,

Without seeing the entire length of the cables, I would be unable to tell for sure, but based on the images given, it does appear that everything has been done correctly so far with the exception of img's 5 and 6. Those adapters that came with the graphics cards are a last resort and are meant to be used if you do not have the native 6+2 power connections available.

Your power supply should have a second 6 or 6+2 power connection. If you have a 6+2, you can leave the +2 hanging off to the side and connect the 6-pin only.
OrangeCarrot
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/02 17:03:48 (permalink)
Hi Darrel. Thank you very much for the reply.

I think I need to make a correction. In img 1 & 2 I think it is actually a PCI-E cable 8-pin (6+2). I said PCI-E 8 Pin (4+4) which I think is only meant for the CPU, and Motherboard.
The cable length in img 1 should be 650mm ± 10mm.

The cable length in img 3 and 4 is 650mm ±mm. (also made the same error as with img 1 & 2).

I guess for img 5 & 6 I can just use another PCI-E 8-pin (6+2) cable? However, I noticed I have 2 800mm ± 10mm PCI-E 8-pin (6+2) cables that branch out.
This is what the cable looks like:

My concern is if that could mess up the power and how that's all regulated. To be on the safe side I can just use 2 800mm ± 10mm PCI-E 8-pin (6+2) cables into the PSU. If both methods would work, that's cool with me.

It's probably easier if I just post a screenshot of the lengths for the cables I got. I would think the lengths aren't too much of an issue considering I can just use the longest lengths provided... Oh, and I guess it's safe to say that I would not need to use the two cables included with the 980 Ti...
post edited by OrangeCarrot - 2015/08/02 21:46:06
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/02 21:40:29 (permalink)

Moving to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
MattyMattMatt
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/02 22:39:23 (permalink)
The GPU you have needs a 6pin and 8pin PCIe connectors. Most PSUs will ship with 6+2 pin PCIe connectors in case your card requires that, that's why two of those can be pulled away. Again, typically a modular PSU will have 2x 6+2 PCIe coming from a single modular plug. That's what you should be using and it looks like you are. Good job!
Disregard the molex to PCIe adapters. You don't need those if your PSU has enough PCIe cables. They are included mostly for older PSUs, from before PCIe power was a thing.

All looks fine to me. If you want you can PM me and show me over skype. I don't have a webcam, but I can talk you through it.

Associate Code: C0RZOAF57R3JE6B
Elite Member ID: MXFACO40E1XPINUAY3X
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/03 09:21:59 (permalink)
Most of those connections are fairly fool-proof. It looks like you have a good handle on it. I am jealous of that rush and the exhilarating feeling of doing a first build. Now, I almost loath building people computers and having to squint at the different motherboard headers.

On a side note, how do you not bite those fingernails?!?!  
DarrelM
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 145
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/03 10:48:11 (permalink)
With most power supplies, they are usually made to function when using any of the connections from the power supply. You should be able to use both connections from a single cable or a connection from two different cables if you prefer.
OrangeCarrot
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/03 15:16:17 (permalink)
MattyMattMatt
The GPU you have needs a 6pin and 8pin PCIe connectors. Most PSUs will ship with 6+2 pin PCIe connectors in case your card requires that, that's why two of those can be pulled away. Again, typically a modular PSU will have 2x 6+2 PCIe coming from a single modular plug. That's what you should be using and it looks like you are. Good job!
Disregard the molex to PCIe adapters. You don't need those if your PSU has enough PCIe cables. They are included mostly for older PSUs, from before PCIe power was a thing.

All looks fine to me. If you want you can PM me and show me over skype. I don't have a webcam, but I can talk you through it.

Molex connectors did look pretty old to me. Thanks for the help and would message you my skype for extra help but my forum account here is too new to allow PMs. I think I'm going to go with two PCI-e 8-pin (6+2) individual cables for the GPU. I mean since I got the slots available on my PSU, and the enough cables why not? And if I understand correctly in this bit here:  it is slightly better to use two separate cables? And here:  in certain situation it can cause issues?
OrangeCarrot
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/03 15:28:09 (permalink)
agent8
Most of those connections are fairly fool-proof. It looks like you have a good handle on it. I am jealous of that rush and the exhilarating feeling of doing a first build. Now, I almost loath building people computers and having to squint at the different motherboard headers.

On a side note, how do you not bite those fingernails?!?!  

Yeah the motherboard headers, and the little connections is about to be my next question. On your side note I don't bite my fingernails (apparently some people go to the extreme with that) because I bite my lips instead (that is my extreme). lol any suggestions on how to stop would be bonkers awesome. Acid paste for my lips? lol what I've been liking about this whole build process is the pure smell of new product. Like holy smokes the PSU smells good, the graphics cards smells good. It's better than the new car smell IMO. haha
post edited by OrangeCarrot - 2015/08/03 15:36:48
MattyMattMatt
Superclocked Member
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/03 16:47:56 (permalink)
OrangeCarrotMolex connectors did look pretty old to me. Thanks for the help and would message you my skype for extra help but my forum account here is too new to allow PMs. I think I'm going to go with two PCI-e 8-pin (6+2) individual cables for the GPU. I mean since I got the slots available on my PSU, and the enough cables why not? And if I understand correctly in this bit here:  it is slightly better to use two separate cables? And here:  in certain situation it can cause issues?
Neither will cause issue, I would just go for the single cable to have less clutter. They're probably on the same rail anyway and thus it wouldn't make a difference.

OrangeCarrot
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/03 17:12:19 (permalink)
My Corsair PSU, and CPU cooler both use USB 2.0 plugs onto the mobo. I only got two for the motherboard. So I guess front USB 2.0 is going to have to be dead for now.

Posting pics below for confirmation.

MattyMattMatt
Superclocked Member
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/03 18:01:27 (permalink)
My Corsair PSU, and CPU cooler both use USB 2.0 plugs onto the mobo
Is this for Corsair Link? Maybe look that up to see if you even want it, IMO, pretty useless.

And yes, that's exactly what those arrows mean. Typically push is better than pull.

Randolla
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1873
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/04 11:50:54 (permalink)
I caution you working on your computer on a carpet.  Static electricity can build up and discharge and kill your system in a heartbeat.

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard 
EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case 
NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
EVGA  Supernova P1200 PSU
Acer Predator X34 Monitor
Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[
MattyMattMatt
Superclocked Member
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/04 12:16:15 (permalink)
RandollaI caution you working on your computer on a carpet.  Static electricity can build up and discharge and kill your system in a heartbeat.
There is no realistic way for him to build up enough static to kill his system.
Just keep touching your PSU or Case and you'll 100% be covered.

20 years building computers and in the last ten years this static thing has seriously become the huge urban legend it doesn't deserve to be. People may age laugh at the youngsters with their mats and bands and other money burning accessories.

OrangeCarrot
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/05 16:30:14 (permalink)
MattyMattMatt
RandollaI caution you working on your computer on a carpet.  Static electricity can build up and discharge and kill your system in a heartbeat.
There is no realistic way for him to build up enough static to kill his system.
Just keep touching your PSU or Case and you'll 100% be covered.

20 years building computers and in the last ten years this static thing has seriously become the huge urban legend it doesn't deserve to be. People may age laugh at the youngsters with their mats and bands and other money burning accessories.

Don't worry, I had certain parts laid on carpet but was doing the actual build on top of a wooden desk. I was worried if I should get an anti-static wrist strap, or whether I should get the mat, and wrist strap combo, or if I should just get an anti-static hazmat suit of some sort. I finally just thought it would be a waste of money and was not in the mood of spending money for something that isn't going to really do anything at this point of technological advancement. I've heard it is more of a concern for older hardware in the pass, and even then some known PC hardware people suggest to use it. Anyways, decided not to get one Matt said, a money burning accessory.

Finished it though! Everything is working great, however my 980 Ti is struggling under medium settings for two FPS games at 1080p. Might make another post for that later.
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Anyone willing to help a noob with PC wiring? 2015/08/05 17:52:19 (permalink)
When I was first building, I bought a static strap, wore a lab coat, sterilized the room and had eggcrates to keep track where every single screw went. Since then, I have actually tried to static shock an old motherboard for the fun of it along with lighting firecrackers under the caps. Mobos are tougher than they look!
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile