RAID controller issue : blocking boot

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ypsylon
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 527
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: RAID controller issue : blocking boot 2015/08/02 11:29:46 (permalink)
Good to hear. It sounds funny tho. Received my Titan! I've got 3! Whoa. What difference name makes. LOL Titan from Titan is OK, but nVidia's Titan is just about out of my reach as Jupiter's moon Titan. Damn too much T T T everywhere. :D

Now seriously. Yes it's true with about anything these days.

Motherboards with lifespan of 3 years while my first 386DX board was running endlessly until I dismantled whole thing. Probably it would work without a hitch if I replace battery and put it back together.
Old cars running for 30 years with like 3-4M km (Mercedes!) on the clock without problems, new one falling apart after 3 years or 50000km and in some extreme cases even less. One word for it: globalization. Make a lot, overcomplicated, not extremely high quality goods, sell even more because of quality issues.

Back to X99 Classy. Decided to postpone the switch. Said to myself, 71605 is still not responding so I could as well go with the loop and then will be always time for switch later with either 6805 or 71605 (no new firmware so far). X58 rocking without issues so everything AS IS for work for the time being. Predicting I will have much fun with many, many, many boxes in next 2 weeks or so. :) Ordered even extra pump just to narrow the variables of faulty goods. Last thing you need is faulty pump at the start of whole process. Then much fun turns instantly into much depression.
LeMakisar
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RAID controller issue : blocking boot 2015/08/06 01:56:47 (permalink)
My x58 is also running great, all mb watercooled from day 1, but now I don't have the patience (and mostly, the time) for that.
Still didn't receive my h240x ordered a month ago...
I've installed my adaptec back in the x58 :)

One thing for sure, when Pascal comes out I'll be replacing my sli by a single card, and never go that way again !
ypsylon
SSC Member
Re: RAID controller issue : blocking boot 2015/08/07 02:15:44 (permalink)
Yeah, more than one VGA is a mess. Thought few times, but every time decided against. I don't need even SLI/CF for anything as all my games running at DX7-9 just fine. CPU is just enough to liquid-cool as it works whole time system is up. VGA is running couple hours a week at anything higher than nominal speed so it's pretty much pointless - my estimation is that 95% of my gaming library is CPU heavy and don't need VGA for anything except display capability.

Don't you agree. X58 best platform ever made. S1366 Last of the big performance jump CPUs. After that it's just re-badge of a re-brand.

On my 71605 front new firmware flashed but no go. It's 101% issue with resource management of X99. Grr... 
LeMakisar
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RAID controller issue : blocking boot 2015/08/12 23:33:20 (permalink)
Indeed, between 5 and 10% every 2 years or so, that's not really exciting :)
It's the first time I tried SLI, it's really OK to me, except it takes up space of course.

I'm still waiting for my H240x, out of stock for like a month, but I won't let it go, got a pretty nice deal on it.

About RAID, I put my 6805 on my "old" X58 classified3, works almost as expected. Why almost ? It seems to prevent the computer to boot If I don't deactivate the possibility to boot on it.
Plus, in any case, I never see the screen listing drives.
Wouldn't EVGA be ready to really support RAID cards ? :)
ypsylon
SSC Member
Re: RAID controller issue : blocking boot 2015/08/14 23:06:46 (permalink)
Yes you would expect them to learn the lesson with X58 when Areca cards took over the BIOS and you couldn't select booting device because AIC always thought that it is the most important thing in the known Universe and allowed to view only AIC channels. I don't remember who was the poor chap, but I tried diligently to help him and in the end IIRC he bought Adaptec card...

That's why I stick with Adaptec vel now PMC for past 20 years or so, because these things works no matter where you plug them. Granted not always top performers, but solid as rock. And now I've got kicked right in the ballz with 71605 on Classy. Frankly I don't know what to do. Overkill loop is finished, PC is ready to go, but... Move drives to 6805E or wait. Last thing I want is to tear everything down (one array won't be moved because not enough ports and 7 series cables are 80cm long while old 2/3/5/6 only 50-ish which matters in massive case like TH10A) if EVGA Team will come with some fix 2 days after switch. I really did not expect this. Building new PC supposed to be happy occasion, what happens with this world?

I have black thoughts about trying different board from Asus (blasphemy!), but that would leave me with potentially 2 boards, more $$$ spent and same problem.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile