EVGA

Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Author
notuptome2004
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 810
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 17:07:21 (permalink)
agent8
Nereus

Don't bother trying to debate anything or use logic or rationality or appeal to common sense with 'notuptome2004' - clearly the guy is a massive fanboi and MS could probably come along and shoot his cat/dog, beat his grandma senseless with a baseball bat, and give him an enema using battery acid, and he'd still be arguing how great they are.

I chucked quite a bit on that one and almost shot root beer out my nose. I respect the beliefs of all the members here but I really don't see how anyone can defend what Microsoft is doing. He is right, it's a choice to install 10 for now. I gave it a fair shot and I just prefer 7 more. Under the glitter and the new wow factor, there is some sinister things going on in Windows 10.  Maybe I'm old school but I don't like this push to have everything on the cloud and being plugged in all the time with marketing probing my every keystroke.

you have a choice to use one drive or not in windows 10 lkeast i seem to have that choice  and all the so called spy craft or ware MS has in place you can disable  in settings menu  turn off  the ad stuff in the start menu 

below are pictures   of just 2 of the menus  in which ya got full control over privacy and can turn allot of stuff off   in just the primacy concerns   and stuff  

Attached Image(s)

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 17:35:39 (permalink)
notuptome2004

you have a choice to use one drive or not in windows 10 lkeast i seem to have that choice  and all the so called spy craft or ware MS has in place you can disable  in settings menu  turn off  the ad stuff in the start menu 

below are pictures   of just 2 of the menus  in which ya got full control over privacy and can turn allot of stuff off   in just the primacy concerns   and stuff 

Privacy advocates are still investigating these settings to see if you can separate the accounts once it was initially done. Currently there is still a transfer of private data even with these settings turned off. The only known way to keep any private data from being transferred is to not invoke the Cortana application and to not ever install using an account synced to the Microsoft Asure/One Drive application from installation. Disabling them seems to continue to send/scan private data because of the Cortana application being invoked and collecting voice/account/email data from inception. I, myself, have a separate virtual machine evaluating the data transfers to ensure these settings do not leak anything unusual but so far it still is and will be until the changes that are being demanded by the EU are invoked.

SiAScORCH
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 783
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 17:42:07 (permalink)
Nereus

Don't bother trying to debate anything or use logic or rationality or appeal to common sense with 'notuptome2004' - clearly the guy is a massive fanboi and MS could probably come along and shoot his cat/dog, beat his grandma senseless with a baseball bat, and give him an enema using battery acid, and he'd still be arguing how great they are.

lol, that's why I never replied after a few times. I wouldn't use windows 10 if it were free, oh wait it is free and I still refuse, lol.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 18:58:01 (permalink)
James_L
notuptome2004

Privacy advocates are still investigating these settings to see if you can separate the accounts once it was initially done. Currently there is still a transfer of private data even with these settings turned off. The only known way to keep any private data from being transferred is to not invoke the Cortana application and to not ever install using an account synced to the Microsoft Asure/One Drive application from installation. Disabling them seems to continue to send/scan private data because of the Cortana application being invoked and collecting voice/account/email data from inception. I, myself, have a separate virtual machine evaluating the data transfers to ensure these settings do not leak anything unusual but so far it still is and will be until the changes that are being demanded by the EU are invoked.

microsoft has been up froby on cortona as she gets to knoe you so she csn better assist uou omg these  privacy  nutballs who read betweenthe lines   yhey had the same issues about windiws 7 guess what turned iut they was nuts cause it amounted to nothing .  

i have a core i7 2600k 16gb of ram and a gtx 960 4gb card i sure as heck dont my system to be held  back by the operating system .

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 19:11:32 (permalink)
notuptome2004
microsoft has been up froby on cortona as she gets to knoe you so she csn better assist uou omg these  privacy  nutballs who read betweenthe lines   yhey had the same issues about windiws 7 guess what turned iut they was nuts cause it amounted to nothing .  

i have a core i7 2600k 16gb of ram and a gtx 960 4gb card i sure as heck dont my system to be held  back by the operating system .

I really doubt that I would desire an application of which all my voice content, email content and information was being listened to and aggregated by Microsoft to be sent to advertisers in order to have a slight convenience. Security and privacy advocates/experts are not, as you term it, nutballs. I take exception to that as it is my profession. Please kindly do not disparage a person's chosen occupation and career just because you are not willing to take an active role to prevent the invasion of your personal space by corporations who do not have your interests in mind. Understand that Microsoft is a for profit company that will do anything in order to gain money for their products, including selling your personal data and/or divulging it if they feel it is necessary.

Your hardware is not limited by the OS itself. Technology is just a tool like anything else. The OS is only as efficient and quick as the programmers and optimizations are, nothing more or less. The more background tasks and daemons being run the slower the threading process will be. That is just a fact of how systems work. The less the background tasks are the more dedication the CPU can be used for on-demand task threads. Please understand what you are stating prior to making a blanket statement about one OS being better/more efficient/quicker than another or that your hardware would be held back by a prior iteration of an OS.

Fortunately for you I will take Nereus's and others advice and no longer respond to this discussion. We'll have to just agree to disagree about the newer release of the OS. I won't be installing or updating anytime soon until Microsoft changes some major portions of what it contains. Until such a time I will virtualize it to understand some more of the underlying code and weaknesses in order to better serve my clients.

SiAScORCH
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 19:12:39 (permalink)
notuptome2004
James_L
notuptome2004

your pc will hold back long before windows. sandybridge is already 3 gens old.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 21:08:47 (permalink)
SiAScORCH
notuptome2004
James_L
notuptome2004

your pc will hold back long before windows. sandybridge is already 3 gens old.

Not really  while  some games do see some frams more  on newer chips it would not be a big upgrade over what i got anyways unless it was the  octo-core intel chip or so  then maby  in media related task and gaming but  right now  i am able to  do media encoding while playing farcry 4  just fine  as i was able to do  in windows 8.1  but my FPS is much great i have gained  an average of 12FPS more on my system while doing the same task so  this is part of Windows 10/DX12 at play  on how it handles  task and assigns them on the CPU .  
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8327
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 22:01:02 (permalink)
I have four devices.  2 X99 systems, an HP Envy 173D laptop (17-2100) and a Dell Venue Pro 11.  For giggles, I upgraded the Dell Venue Pro.  Pretty surprised that the upgrade only took about half an hour with NO glitches.  The new start menu is not as good as Windows 7 and actually frustrating versus Windows 8.1.  I put it in tablet mode and full screen came back.  Scaling of video is a bit off, and seems to get worse when you enlarge the %.  In older versions of Windows (7 / 8 / 8.1) I could just change the font size and keep perspective.   Overall, not too shabby.  Based on what I am seeing, the Envy may never see Windows 10.  I have an application that I use for music scheduling for some of my client radio stations.  In Windows 10, I cannot adjust the size of the command prompt, since Selector is an older DOS program.  It ran perfectly in Windows 7 / 8 and 8.1 but the fonts are not right, nor can I adjust them in Windows 10.  Will keep playing with the tablet and posting finds....
The 2 X99's are still both on Windows 8.1 and laptop Windows 7.  BTW...tablet has Windows Home...and I was only able to delay one hardware upgrade using the MS app that they released.  No options for any control in Home. 
post edited by bobmitch - 2015/08/01 22:03:17

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

AzN-SoLjA
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7982
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/01 22:11:38 (permalink)
Just in case win10 breaks something, I wish it to be dual boot for now. I think I'll pass on the free version n just buy it.

| EVGA Z68 FTW | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 | Custom EK Water Loop | Red Harbinger Cross Desk
| i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.24v | Corsair 16GB Vengeance | Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD | Corsair AX850 | Lamptron FC5V3 | ASUS VE278 27" |
| Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 & X-Fi Fatal1ty 7.1 Champ | Razer Marauder & Spectre & Tiamat 7.1 | Affiliate Code: 3MHCIBME48 | Associate Code: 08HWLPJXE0O5MPM

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 06:04:16 (permalink)
James_L
rjohnson11
candle_86
well I found a pretty severe bug that makes the OS unstable and useless to me. My system even without any updates installed and using windows 8.1 video drivers still locks up and crashes every 30-45 minutes, nothing prevents it. 8.1 works just fine on it how ever, just 10 is unable to work at all. Maybe it doesn't like my chipset, or maybe it hates Core2 quads I dunno, but if windows 10 is a functional OS I havn't seen it

What does your device manager look like? Any yellow exclamation marks there?

It is possible that there may be a conflict with the updated Microsoft provided drivers and the imbedded graphics processor on the system motherboard. There are a few instances where, because of a programatic bug, the video drivers are activated improperly and cause a system lockup. Disabling one of them, either the onboard or daughter card, clears this issue up. Normally I would expect to see this on a newer laptop with a FM1 or iCore processor with an imbedded GPU but stranger things have been known to happen. Most of the time the system which exhibits this problem does so in the first minute or two of the OS startup. Going into the system device manager and disabling one of them appears to keep it from occurring.

no onboard GPU, and no yellow exclamation marks,

Core 2 Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
EVGA 750i SLI FTW Motherboard
EVGA GTX 960 GPU
USB 3.0 Riser Card with Asmedia USB 3.0 controller
TPlink Wireless N 600 Dual Band Wifi Card

UnReal-4-Life
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 06:29:13 (permalink)
lol You all sound so paranoid. This is what I did. Download the ISO. under cant wait for update and all to troubles are free.
You will have every choose they have like that. I got the ISO file Windows 10 Pro 32/64bit upgrade and full for multiple installs' on all my devises. just download It I got a Windows 5.55GB ISO . free and clear with out any proof of anything and it works fine.. I started with beta and got everything. Now that is more sharing and give back to the world then any company has ever done They have done what no one has ever done giving it all with nothing in return. .

its more free then Linux wow and I can use it on everything
have fun missing out.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 06:53:44 (permalink)

lmao.. I was playing GW2 last night and a discussion started about the merits of Windows 10. I joined in and pointed out the issue with forced Windows Update and hardware drivers, and a couple of people got extremely pissy at me for daring to say anything bad about Windows 10 and how I must be a conspiracy nut etc etc.. so I started giving examples, next thing I know I've been kicked out of the guild that I've been in for nearly 3 years. Seems one of the fanboys was a guild officer. How pathetic is that? I thought Apple users were bad. On the flip side, within about 2 minutes of being kicked, a competing guild asked me to join them, so I did. :D

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 07:51:41 (permalink)
Nereus

lmao.. I was playing GW2 last night and a discussion started about the merits of Windows 10. I joined in and pointed out the issue with forced Windows Update and hardware drivers, and a couple of people got extremely pissy at me for daring to say anything bad about Windows 10 and how I must be a conspiracy nut etc etc.. so I started giving examples, next thing I know I've been kicked out of the guild that I've been in for nearly 3 years. Seems one of the fanboys was a guild officer. How pathetic is that? I thought Apple users were bad. On the flip side, within about 2 minutes of being kicked, a competing guild asked me to join them, so I did. :D

wow  i have to say that  is a little to harsh they banned you well kicked you out just cause you was trying to teach them something. but in all fairness   tho beyond the auto updates and such    you can disable just about everything you dont want .

Like it or Not windows 10 is the OS  we will have  over the next 10 years tho by then highly upgraded and new features added   
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 08:01:45 (permalink)

Yup. I would likely be ok trying W10 if it were only operating system updates forced and the rest were optional. The o/s itself sounds like it's running well.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 08:57:26 (permalink)
Nereus

Just for giggles and grins...I upgrade my Dell Venue Pro 11.  It takes a lot of time and effort to customize Win 10 to where it works like it did with Windows 8.1.  With that said...I will liken it to buying a new car and not checking to see what it has under the hood.  I keep finding things out that were not advertised.  Like the fact that after 30 days, the activation key for your old OS is invalidated.  Also, the Dell VP 11 had Windows 8.1 core, so I have Win 10 Home.  Mind you...I don't care about that, but I had to use the tool from MS to hide an update that kept failing (Logitech touchpad drivers, which are simply NOT used with the tablet, until the keyboard is attached).  Everything else is pretty simple and straightforward.  However, I cancelled the upgrade on my HP Envy 17, because I simply do NOT trust AMD, nor Microsoft to get switchable graphics right and cannot afford to mess with the machine due to all the important data on it. 

Getting kicked from the first guild shows that the officer is blindly an MS follower or is being way too harsh and not willing to see all sides of the coin.  Windows 10 has more than two sides to it's coin and most intelligent users will see through that pretty quickly.  I would say that about 10% of potential upgraders are in your class of computer knowledge.  The other 90% are every day users that simply don't have the knowledge to know the difference.  Kudos to the second guild that invited you.  They gained a very knowledgeable member who will make a difference. 

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 13:03:36 (permalink)
bobmitch
Nereus

Just for giggles and grins...I upgrade my Dell Venue Pro 11.  It takes a lot of time and effort to customize Win 10 to where it works like it did with Windows 8.1.  With that said...I will liken it to buying a new car and not checking to see what it has under the hood.  I keep finding things out that were not advertised.  Like the fact that after 30 days, the activation key for your old OS is invalidated.  Also, the Dell VP 11 had Windows 8.1 core, so I have Win 10 Home.  Mind you...I don't care about that, but I had to use the tool from MS to hide an update that kept failing (Logitech touchpad drivers, which are simply NOT used with the tablet, until the keyboard is attached).  Everything else is pretty simple and straightforward.  However, I cancelled the upgrade on my HP Envy 17, because I simply do NOT trust AMD, nor Microsoft to get switchable graphics right and cannot afford to mess with the machine due to all the important data on it. 

Getting kicked from the first guild shows that the officer is blindly an MS follower or is being way too harsh and not willing to see all sides of the coin.  Windows 10 has more than two sides to it's coin and most intelligent users will see through that pretty quickly.  I would say that about 10% of potential upgraders are in your class of computer knowledge.  The other 90% are every day users that simply don't have the knowledge to know the difference.  Kudos to the second guild that invited you.  They gained a very knowledgeable member who will make a difference. 

Well it dont take much if at all any time to make it more like windows 8.1  you just enable Tablet mode from the  notifications  center  i assume you enabled tablet mode from there really the only thing you dont get are the hot corners and side swipes tho i have heard some miss that stuff  but it is easy to switch between apps anyways   just  hit the  taskview button and such
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 14:14:45 (permalink)

First picture is Tablet in Tablet mode.  Second is tablet mode and to the left is the scrolling programs bar.  Spacing on 10 is very different from Windows 8.1.  Notice the spacing between tile groups.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 14:20:30 (permalink)
I finally got the main PC to show the opt in for Windows 10 Upgrade(made it home late last night) and it is pending verification right now.
schmorblatz
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 18:09:59 (permalink)
When upgrading from Win8.1 to Win10, I disabled all "spies". After the last Windows Update, most of them where reactivated whithout any warning !

Local account only, no cloud-crap, no auto updates, and online only when needed.

Do not trust privacy options !

why make it simple when it can be complicated ????

rig 1 : Asus P9X79-E WS / i7 4930k / 3-way SLI EVGA 780ti / Quadro K2000 / watercooled / 3D Vision Surround / 3 x Samsung 2233RZ + HP ZR22W
rig 2 : Asus P9X79 WS / i7 4930k / 2-way SLI 770 / aircooled / 3D Vision / Samsung 2233RZ + Samsung 2232BW + HP ZR22W
rig 3, 4 5, etc. : uninteresting !
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 18:22:30 (permalink)
schmorblatz
When upgrading from Win8.1 to Win10, I disabled all "spies". After the last Windows Update, most of them where reactivated whithout any warning !

Local account only, no cloud-crap, no auto updates, and online only when needed.

That's why I went back to Windows 7 and sincerely hope them scumbags don't deactivate my license.
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 18:41:40 (permalink)
Now with this 30 days to do or die with the possibility of losing your old license (most of my systems are using an Oem disk) I am glad I only updated this one laptop. There are a few things that I do like better with 10 but I am going to wait till all the skeletons are out of the closet and I see a real reason to update.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 19:55:08 (permalink)
schmorblatz

Seriously? So they give you the option to deactivate some of their massive invasions of privacy, but then switch those options back with the next 'update'? That's just beyond low..  that's probably illegal.

Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 20:01:48 (permalink)
If you have any other drives connected to the PC running Windows 10 and they have sensitive and private data on them, you should also physically remove them. It can and will read and write data to those drives even when disabled in the MB Bios,. I noticed this back in February when running the preview.

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 20:10:32 (permalink)
Pgcmoore
If you have any other drives connected to the PC running Windows 10 and they have sensitive and private data on them, you should also physically remove them. It can and will read and write data to those drives even when disabled in the MB Bios,. I noticed this back in February when running the preview.

This is true. After the upgrade I reinstalled my other drives and lost 7 GB in worthless previous versions of files restore points that I couldn't get rid of. Remove the other drives and the restore points are gone. Windows 10 is like a pig on steroids looking for truffles. It digs into everything and then keeps going!
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 20:22:07 (permalink)
LOL, I changed all the PC's in the home network to Public as soon as I loaded it on the kids PC. Looks like it's keeping the pig out of the other troughs 
But watching it carefully.

post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/08/02 23:20:20

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 21:20:18 (permalink)
Pgcmoore

Wow.. just.. wow. This is insane.
Just a thought - it's not for indexing / Cortana is it?
I wonder if they got their hooks in when I reserved the upgrade (since canceled, never installed).

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 22:03:53 (permalink)
I don't use my tablet all that much.  May revert back to Win 8.1, if the privacy thing really rears it's ugly head. 
Reservation for my Envy 17 is cancelled.  No way I am going to mess with the data that I have on that machine.  Windows 7 Home Premium stays...

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 22:06:09 (permalink)
schmorblatz

dunno whats happening on your system  but the ones i have deactivated or turned off are still turned off even after a few windows updates.  
Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 22:24:38 (permalink)
Gonna try to roll the tablet back to 8.1.  Will let you know how it works out.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/08/02 22:32:56 (permalink)
bobmitch
Gonna try to roll the tablet back to 8.1.  Will let you know how it works out.

you do know you can reduce the spacing between those right works very similar to a as windows 8.1  here it is on my PC not a Tablet but i enabled Tablet mode   just hold and drag the columns of tiles  together and such at the top  mind you i dont got many things for Apps Modern Apps anyways just the defaults  currently 

Attached Image(s)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile