EVGA

Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
chips chandler
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 13:54:42 (permalink)
I learned a long time ago to: Never be the first kid on the block to jump into something new.
                                          Nothing is ever really free. ( MS has quietly discussed "delayed compensation")
                                                      Yes the download is free, but after some period of time the updates are by subscription.
                                                   Then you'll have to pass the "toll booth" every so often. Dude back in "15 you was jacked.
                                          Regarding my system- If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ( Windows7 Ultimate sp1)
                                          Regarding all things tech- Waiting till later usually pays off (see #1 above)
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 14:06:42 (permalink)
bdary
Using your search box in Win10, can you search for a file on "your own PC" without it also going to Bing for results?  In other words, can you restrict searches locally on your own PC or will it always use the internet for results?

If you're running say Nero for example for photo and/or video editing, do you get ocassional popups (notifications) telling you there is an app in the store for that?

Generally speaking I believe that Microsoft Bing will be the overall desktop search provider for items outside your system. If the normal search indexing is running in the background it should return those results and then, failing to find it, show results from internet based search queries. If it utilizes the same settings as Windows 8/8.1 did for the desktop search you should be able to change that utilizing the Microsoft Edge search provider settings. Set Google, Startpage or whatever engine you want for that. Your mileage may vary depending on how locked down Microsoft decides that the Home version needs to be.

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 14:15:03 (permalink)
notuptome2004
We have had Ad supported games for years  mobile or non mobile heck   i just started playing  Heros of the storm  by Blizzard   and it is Ad supported heck you will find all sorts of stuff Ad supported  now days windows phone Android  IOs  and  on Pc so don't  give me this  is a indication on windows 10   Because it is  on other platforms  not just windows 10  

Regardless of which platform the AD supported applications are present on it does not lend to the fact that Microsoft is vastly changing their revenue stream by allowing not only ad based applications but providing information as to the user's preferences, search streams and activities to known metadata brokers within the OS itself. This paves the way for ad injected desktop interruptions and inconveniences to users who, by and large, just want an OS to play their games on without any interaction or invasion of their personal information. Yes, I know the argument as to 'what is safe or private anymore' as the industry that I work in is deeply involved in that realm. In either case I think, for the most part, users of an OS should have an expectation of stability, privacy and responsiveness given the amount of time and experience that Microsoft has. A person can choose to install an ad supported application but one should not be forced by an upgrade to give up their privacy or rights to customize their system in the manner they see fit. I will reference the following: Microsoft Windows 10 Terms and License Agreement Small Print.

More of the recent users of the OS and smart devices may not see a problem with these kinds of things. Many of the others who have been around for a while since the iterations of Windows originally produced would see this in a vastly different viewpoint.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 810
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 14:26:23 (permalink)
James_L
notuptome2004
We have had Ad supported games for years  mobile or non mobile heck   i just started playing  Heros of the storm  by Blizzard   and it is Ad supported heck you will find all sorts of stuff Ad supported  now days windows phone Android  IOs  and  on Pc so don't  give me this  is a indication on windows 10   Because it is  on other platforms  not just windows 10  

Regardless of which platform the AD supported applications are present on it does not lend to the fact that Microsoft is vastly changing their revenue stream by allowing not only ad based applications but providing information as to the user's preferences, search streams and activities to known metadata brokers within the OS itself. This paves the way for ad injected desktop interruptions and inconveniences to users who, by and large, just want an OS to play their games on without any interaction or invasion of their personal information. Yes, I know the argument as to 'what is safe or private anymore' as the industry that I work in is deeply involved in that realm. In either case I think, for the most part, users of an OS should have an expectation of stability, privacy and responsiveness given the amount of time and experience that Microsoft has. A person can choose to install an ad supported application but one should not be forced by an upgrade to give up their privacy or rights to customize their system in the manner they see fit. I will reference the following: Microsoft Windows 10 Terms and License Agreement Small Print.

More of the recent users of the OS and smart devices may not see a problem with these kinds of things. Many of the others who have been around for a while since the iterations of Windows originally produced would see this in a vastly different viewpoint.

i been using windows since windows 1.0  and this does not effect me  .  in windows 10  you can  turn off  any setting you want that you think may or may not  phone home to MS about  your stuff  it is fully yours to customize . and since that  solitaire game is  in fact a xbox live  game   it is meant to be connected.  oh and  windows is always connected  connection anyways  as someone  pointed out earlier  a down side 
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 14:40:28 (permalink)
"in windows 10  you can  turn off  any setting you want that you think may or may not  phone home to MS about  your stuff  it is fully yours to customize "

If this was the case, there wouldn't be the big stink that there is.

You can delay updates if you have pro and you can unplug if you don't want your personal information sent. That is a far cry from being able to turn off anything you want and being customized. That sounds more like being sodomized to me.
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 15:04:18 (permalink)
notuptome2004
i been using windows since windows 1.0  and this does not effect me  .  in windows 10  you can  turn off  any setting you want that you think may or may not  phone home to MS about  your stuff  it is fully yours to customize . and since that  solitaire game is  in fact a xbox live  game   it is meant to be connected.  oh and  windows is always connected  connection anyways  as someone  pointed out earlier  a down side 

Apparently you haven't looked into not only the License agreement nor the changes made by the OS itself on this iteration. You just can't turn off 'any setting' you want in Windows 10. Most especially the connection to the Microsoft servers to ensure you are in compliance with their security updates for this go around. Failing to allow this will possibly result in Microsoft disabling your ability to update your system at all in the future. This may possibly change by popular outcry but, as of now, you are forced into updates. The only versions of which you can delay any updates indefinitely is the Enterprise edition of which is not available to the general public without a volume license agreement or a contract with Microsoft that involves software assurance. Having to resort to using a 'delay these updates' every 4 days is not a viable solution nor something a person of whom purchases an OS should need to perform. It is just a bad business decision as a result of a thinning margin for revenue. There are other alternatives of which can be better suited for that kind of thing. Value add is one such measure and, if they were more conscious as to the overall landscape of their user base, they would have made changes towards that end.

As it stands now there is not enough information nor are there enough installations of the OS to warrant my suggesting or looking into the upgrade at this point. Perhaps after major updates/changes I may look again towards this upgrade (most likely a clean install for myself) but as it has been released I will not update unless there is no other option. As it stands now and for the future there isn't anything there of which will not run cleaner and much more stable on my Windows 7 systems. I am not interested in their app store at all. Nothing there of which is available is of interest.

As those items of which you state do not affect you then more power to your updates and I hope your experience with the new environment is exactly what you expect it to be. Hopefully your OS will remain stable and you won't need to seek any answers to issues which relate to an update which is forcibly pushed by Microsoft for the interest of their OS stability that damages your overall system.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 15:10:22 (permalink)
agent8
"in windows 10  you can  turn off  any setting you want that you think may or may not  phone home to MS about  your stuff  it is fully yours to customize "

If this was the case, there wouldn't be the big stink that there is.

You can delay updates if you have pro and you can unplug if you don't want your personal information sent. That is a far cry from being able to turn off anything you want and being customized. That sounds more like being sodomized to me.

you have always been able  to delay  windows updates to install since windows  vista  but  10 allows ya to delay  when to install them and same with Home  version  you can delay install as long as you want keep setting the time further and further out   as i have  done many time during the insider builds .  

despite the update  thing it had preventing  not many of  anyone from upgrading. so your to picky you really are  you know  yes  i get it you don't want a driver update  because  many it is not  new  or it is an older one  unless  it breaks your system  to the point of being non functional  then  why is  it an issue.  
agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 15:16:55 (permalink)
Very well said James. At this point, I think we just need to wait and see. I would love to think that the people have enough pull to make it a good experience. I guess I will take a look when I get home if my guinea pig laptop is done downloading and installing everything.I could always download it on some other systems, make an install disk roll it back to 7 and have it there if I change my mind and be out nothing.

and no, you can't just keep stalling updates on 10. Eventually, (thought I read 4 months somewhere) you are raped/ FORCED to install them unless you have enterprise version.

post edited by agent8 - 2015/07/29 15:19:29
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 15:29:03 (permalink)
agent8
I could always download it on some other systems, make an install disk roll it back to 7 and have it there if I change my mind and be out nothing.

You can create an ISO of the RTM by using the following link: Windows 10 ISO tool.

That way you have the full ISO in case you have issues with the driver for your network card. This manner keeps you from having to do a 'live' update from the internet and/or using the download software cache directory where it is stored. This particular tool allows for a direct ISO download rather than the method that many used from a technet blog that necessitated a conversion application to re-encode the data.

Additionally if you upgrade you have a recourse to revert back to Windows 7/8/8.1 if necessary using the following: Downgrade Windows 10 to 7/8/8.1.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 15:50:39 (permalink)
agent8
Again, you are comparing "Heroes of the storm" and "all sorts of stuff AD supported now" with an operating system. A fair comparison would be, "android, windows 7, windows 8, Apple OSX has ads bundled with it. Alas, that comparison, as far as I know is flawed. The closest thing I have seen is maybe A Samsung tablet or an Acer tablet with bloatware that may have ads on it but not Android itself. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Not comparing games that are ad supported that tweens download and use their moms credit card to play to win, we are talking about an Operating system with a game that is pre-bundled and essentially part of windows. If Windows movie maker was on my computer and it had an ad covering the toolbar, I would be pissed too.

Problem solved   uninstall apps
 http://s4.postimg.org/g1hbhdenx/win10uninstall.jpg   

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10327
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 15:51:06 (permalink)
James_L
bdary
Using your search box in Win10, can you search for a file on "your own PC" without it also going to Bing for results?  In other words, can you restrict searches locally on your own PC or will it always use the internet for results?

If you're running say Nero for example for photo and/or video editing, do you get ocassional popups (notifications) telling you there is an app in the store for that?

Generally speaking I believe that Microsoft Bing will be the overall desktop search provider for items outside your system. If the normal search indexing is running in the background it should return those results and then, failing to find it, show results from internet based search queries. If it utilizes the same settings as Windows 8/8.1 did for the desktop search you should be able to change that utilizing the Microsoft Edge search provider settings. Set Google, Startpage or whatever engine you want for that. Your mileage may vary depending on how locked down Microsoft decides that the Home version needs to be.

Thanks for the response.  I was asking those questions to start possible further discussion.  In my experience with every preview build after the first few, you could not search "locally only".  Even using FF as my default browser and Ixquick as my search engine, my searches yielded results from Bing which weren't even  relevent in most cases.  The search results would come back with the file I was looking for along with a bunch of garbage (imo) from Bing.  I don't like that.  When I search for something I know is on one of my drives, I don't want it broadcast to Bing.  When I want to do an internet search, I'll use my search engines search box.

My Nero example is another thing I don't like about Win10.  The ocassional notification (pop-up) saying "we have an app for that in the store" when using 3rd party software.  Obviously if the OS knows when I run 3rd party software and will give me notifications about apps in their store, the OS has to keeping track of these things?

I can't speak for the latest build or the past few as I quit running builds as of 10130.  I saw things only heading further in a direction I don't care for.

No real complaints about stability or performance of the OS itself.

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 15:56:02 (permalink)
bdary
James_L
bdary

Thanks for the response.  I was asking those questions to start possible further discussion.  In my experience with every preview build after the first few, you could not search "locally only".  Even using FF as my default browser and Ixquick as my search engine, my searches yielded results from Bing which weren't even  relevent in most cases.  The search results would come back with the file I was looking for along with a bunch of garbage (imo) from Bing.  I don't like that.  When I search for something I know is on one of my drives, I don't want it broadcast to Bing.  When I want to do an internet search, I'll use my search engines search box.

My Nero example is another thing I don't like about Win10.  The ocassional notification (pop-up) saying "we have an app for that in the store" when using 3rd party software.  Obviously if the OS knows when I run 3rd party software and will give me notifications about apps in their store, the OS has to keeping track of these things?

I can't speak for the latest build or the past few as I quit running builds as of 10130.  I saw things only heading further in a direction I don't care for.

No real complaints about stability or performance of the OS itself.

the pop up thing is nothing new as windows 8 did that as well i just ignore it .  i have ran a few builds myself and it only got better .  mosyt  would agree on that tho some dont  but the RTM build the final build  is rather good  no issues   at all 
loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 16:17:42 (permalink)
Still going to wait it out no matter what. Let things simmer down and see what M$ does about 3rd party drivers. I have no issue with forced M$ updates, fine, let them. Only have I ever had one issue with an update from them that I had to uninstall. When it comes to other drivers such as sound, ethernet, and video, some work better than other for certain people. They should not be trying to tell us whats best.
I have a year to claim my copy if I understand right. So no rush.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 16:40:45 (permalink)
loveha
I have a year to claim my copy if I understand right. So no rush.

Yes, you have a year to claim your upgrade. I linked in a previous comment the ability to download the current RTM to an ISO so you can install/upgrade from there if necessary.

chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 21:03:13 (permalink)
I upgraded... I cannot believe the calendar app still cannot print... Microsoft is still COMPLETELY behind with their absolute operating system. The only reason I still use their POS is for gaming. This OS is a minor improvement of the 8.1, which was a very minor improvement  of 7 (if at all).
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 21:22:06 (permalink)
notuptome2004

notuptome2004
you have always been able  to delay  windows updates to install since windows  vista  but  10 allows ya to delay  when to install them and same with Home  version  you can delay install as long as you want keep setting the time further and further out   as i have  done many time during the insider builds .  
despite the update  thing it had preventing  not many of  anyone from upgrading. so your to picky you really are  you know  yes  i get it you don't want a driver update  because  many it is not  new  or it is an older one  unless  it breaks your system  to the point of being non functional  then  why is  it an issue.  

notuptome2004

notuptome2004
the pop up thing is nothing new as windows 8 did that as well i just ignore it .  i have ran a few builds myself and it only got better .  mosyt  would agree on that tho some dont  but the RTM build the final build  is rather good  no issues   at all 

You're wrong. About everything.

post edited by Nereus - 2015/07/29 21:24:33

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 21:38:29 (permalink)
Nereus
notuptome2004

notuptome2004

notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Oh man... I came pretty close to rofling my pants on that one...
notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/29 23:54:47 (permalink)
Nereus
notuptome2004

notuptome2004

notuptome2004

notuptome2004

nice but it work better if it was charlie sheene  not his father
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/30 07:19:00 (permalink)
notuptome2004
i been using windows since windows 1.0  and this does not effect me  .  in windows 10  you can  turn off  any setting you want that you think may or may not  phone home to MS about  your stuff  it is fully yours to customize . and since that  solitaire game is  in fact a xbox live  game   it is meant to be connected.

I wasn't going to respond to this but since you are convinced of a few erroneous facts I felt a need to enlighten you on this particular statement.

If you have been using Windows since the earliest version available (which was, in fact, extensions of MS-DOS) then you would realize that the initial iterations of Windows as an OS was not generally available for mass public consumption until the advent of Windows 3.x. More specifically 3.1. Versions prior to that were unstable and had particular differences between the Windows/286 and Windows/386 platforms. Most importantly the ability to differentiate between processor/co-processor types. Windows 3.1 generalized the extensions of MS-DOS in a manner to make it more platform generic and not need a particular version depending on the processor itself. These versions prior to 3.x were released between 1981 and 1990. Windows 3.1 and beyond began the ability to allow on-line connectivity via phone dialup and the like, finally progressing to TCP/IP connectivity with the iteration of Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

During that time versions of Solitaire had been around much more generally through the GUI interfaces of the older Macintosh machines and Unix using X11 as a graphical shell. Microsoft developed Windows in direct relation to Apple going from command line OS (Applesoft) to their System for the Macintosh computers utilizing the Motorola 68000 chipsets. Solitaire has been and was considered solely a separate application and, from what I remember, a proof of concept along with Reversi so that game companies would look into Windows as a platform for entertainment.

The particular recent changes to Solitaire began with Windows 8 considering it was an additional downloaded app from Microsoft's store. It is included in Windows 10 with advertisements of which you must 'pay' to disable if you desire not to view them. (Please see the following link: Pay to disable advertisements in Solitaire on Windows 10.)

Given those circumstances I find your argument not at all holding water.

I analyze communications between computer systems daily. With the packets that I am seeing throughout the technical preview of Windows 10 I am loathe to consider upgrading until I can safely feel confident that private data is not going to be transferred to Microsoft without my express permission. As it stands now, according to further information while reading the License Agreement, I do not feel this will be the case. Please see the following article summarizing the newly included statements about their rights to your data: Microsoft's privacy policy changes.

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/30 07:35:18 (permalink)
A good read. This part alone will keep me from upgrading to 10 on all my other computers.

"Summing up these 45 pages, one can say that Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties,” warned EDRi. “Each user on a device will be assigned a unique advertising ID."

and then "Microsoft will collect almost all of your data, ranging from location, calendar, apps, services, browsing and search history, and “data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.” 

The whole thing feels weird to me. I know many terms and agreements have some scary language but not like this
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/30 10:10:04 (permalink)
James_L
notuptome2004
i been using windows since windows 1.0  and this does not effect me  .  in windows 10  you can  turn off  any setting you want that you think may or may not  phone home to MS about  your stuff  it is fully yours to customize . and since that  solitaire game is  in fact a xbox live  game   it is meant to be connected.

I wasn't going to respond to this but since you are convinced of a few erroneous facts I felt a need to enlighten you on this particular statement.

If you have been using Windows since the earliest version available (which was, in fact, extensions of MS-DOS) then you would realize that the initial iterations of Windows as an OS was not generally available for mass public consumption until the advent of Windows 3.x. More specifically 3.1. Versions prior to that were unstable and had particular differences between the Windows/286 and Windows/386 platforms. Most importantly the ability to differentiate between processor/co-processor types. Windows 3.1 generalized the extensions of MS-DOS in a manner to make it more platform generic and not need a particular version depending on the processor itself. These versions prior to 3.x were released between 1981 and 1990. Windows 3.1 and beyond began the ability to allow on-line connectivity via phone dialup and the like, finally progressing to TCP/IP connectivity with the iteration of Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

During that time versions of Solitaire had been around much more generally through the GUI interfaces of the older Macintosh machines and Unix using X11 as a graphical shell. Microsoft developed Windows in direct relation to Apple going from command line OS (Applesoft) to their System for the Macintosh computers utilizing the Motorola 68000 chipsets. Solitaire has been and was considered solely a separate application and, from what I remember, a proof of concept along with Reversi so that game companies would look into Windows as a platform for entertainment.

The particular recent changes to Solitaire began with Windows 8 considering it was an additional downloaded app from Microsoft's store. It is included in Windows 10 with advertisements of which you must 'pay' to disable if you desire not to view them. (Please see the following link: Pay to disable advertisements in Solitaire on Windows 10.)

I analyze communications between computer systems daily. With the packets that I am seeing throughout the technical preview of Windows 10 I am loathe to consider upgrading until I can safely feel confident that private data is not going to be transferred to Microsoft without my express permission. As it stands now, according to further information while reading the License Agreement, I do not feel this will be the case. Please see the following article summarizing the newly included statements about their rights to your data: Microsoft's privacy policy changes.

James, you said it much better than my attempt at it above in post #71, thank you.

This is my primary reason (there are others) I will never give up my Win7 license for Win10.  Once game devs start coding games to use DX12, I'll purchase a Win10 license strictly for gaming and use it on a seperate drive with bare essentials only.

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/30 10:20:38 (permalink)
agent8
A good read. This part alone will keep me from upgrading to 10 on all my other computers.

"Summing up these 45 pages, one can say that Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties,” warned EDRi. “Each user on a device will be assigned a unique advertising ID."

and then "Microsoft will collect almost all of your data, ranging from location, calendar, apps, services, browsing and search history, and “data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.” 

The whole thing feels weird to me. I know many terms and agreements have some scary language but not like this

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8327
  • Ribbons : 47
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/30 21:13:02 (permalink)
bdary
James_L
notuptome2004

James, you said it much better than my attempt at it above in post #71, thank you.

This is my primary reason (there are others) I will never give up my Win7 license for Win10.  Once game devs start coding games to use DX12, I'll purchase a Win10 license strictly for gaming and use it on a seperate drive with bare essentials only.

I imagine you can upgrade for free to Windows 10.  Then after you run your first set of updates, etc...the machine should be recognized by Microsoft.  Then...put your original OS back on...and install Win 10 in a dual boot.  Would be interesting.  If Windows updates mess up 10, you still have your original OS.

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/31 06:17:10 (permalink)
bobmitch
I imagine you can upgrade for free to Windows 10.  Then after you run your first set of updates, etc...the machine should be recognized by Microsoft.  Then...put your original OS back on...and install Win 10 in a dual boot.  Would be interesting.  If Windows updates mess up 10, you still have your original OS.

You could do this and it would remain viable but the privacy policy changes would prevent my (and possibly other individuals) comfort in doing so. Because Windows 10 will index any drive visible for information/quick access this data would then be stored/indexed by Microsoft on their sites for advertising and evaluation purposes 'for the best interest of the consumer'.

I think that I would rather just have a clean install on another system dedicated to just gaming and keep my present workstation for my customer/clients projects and corrections than allow Microsoft access to their personal/private data. Until this policy changes, and I can verify no data is being tunneled via Internet connection, I will separate my gaming and work systems completely if I do decide to install Windows 10 at all in the future.

aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/31 07:07:25 (permalink)
Here is a bit of a short article on how to 'opt out' of some of the spy/track-ware involved in W10

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-spying-almost-everything-opt-130502898.html

** mild tin-foil hat not included **

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
Shockjockey
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4928
  • Ribbons : 18
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/31 07:59:50 (permalink)
I caved after only one day. Its hard to be an enthusiast without at least trying the latest and greatest. After lots of tweaks I am loving it. I have been assimilated LOL

Asus Sabertooth x99
5930k (4.5ghz)
16gb Corsair DDR4 (3000)
EVGA 1000w psu
Zotac 980ti x 2
Samsung 850 pro 500 SSD
HPLP3065 30in Monitor 2560x1600
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/31 10:43:47 (permalink)
I am out of state. I want to try 10, but reading about the frustrations some people are having, I am going to hold off a little while longer. I think it looks good, I just want to wait for it to be in a slightly better state.
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/31 12:23:04 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
I am out of state. I want to try 10, but reading about the frustrations some people are having, I am going to hold off a little while longer. I think it looks good, I just want to wait for it to be in a slightly better state.

was wondering where you been,,,,
been running a few tests on an older board for the kid, it seems to me most of the real issues are with the drivers and SLI, the system it self is very nice and runs sweet on a single card but as soon as you add another all crap breaks loose. gimps with 353.62,runs with 353.30 (with more than one card) but still a little shaky. hope they get a new hotfix or something out soon for the sli issue, only thing holding me back right now...

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

notuptome2004
SSC Member
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/31 19:26:33 (permalink)
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Who is not upgrading to windows 10 and why? 2015/07/31 21:44:43 (permalink)
notuptome2004
very interesting    
http://www.neowin.net/new...67-million-pcs-already

Yes, I can almost hear Big Brother gleefully rubbing his hands together and gloating as we speak...

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile