Helpful ReplyOverclock wont stick z97 Classified

Author
Batpimp
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/07 20:42:24 (permalink)
Hello,

If I disable EIST my CPU multiplier settings will not apply or save once I go to windows.

If I keep it enabled I am able to apply my CPU multiplier settings and it will show up in HWinfo and CPUID and Windows. Is this correct? In reading instructions of other people whom have overclocked their CPU, it is stated that I should turn off EIST and C1/C6 etc
post edited by Batpimp - 2015/07/10 09:07:02
AKToronto
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: Overclock wont stick z97 Classified 2015/07/10 10:10:52 (permalink)
No you should still be able to set your multiplier with EIST off. All cores will then run at that speed. Try updating your bios too.
Batpimp
Re: Overclock wont stick z97 Classified 2015/07/10 10:35:38 (permalink)
Per evga tech DaveB

"@Batimp
I would recommend going to the current BIOS first off, there are a LOT of improvements to memory support, CPU microcode and lots of other things.
From there EIST, Turbo and Sleep states should be left on.  If you are at BIOS 1.02 that might have been early enough to have not had full support for 4790-k overclocking as that processor was not  launched with a bulk of the Haswell CPU's, it came out a good bit later.
i would update the BIOS first, after everything boots and is good, remember if you changed anything like SATA mode or CSM settings you will need to change those back to your initial configuration before you return to windows.  Once you have done with that, reboot and go into BIOS and you can start clocking.  I would make sure that RAM is set correctly to manufacturer spec, speed isn't as important up front but mainly voltage and latency, if that is off and you are clocking the CPU (which has the memory controller in it) you will get stability issues, and when new to overclocking the last thing you want it to be chasing your tail on a CPU OC from a basic memory setting being incorrect.

As for a direct OC guide, that is a touchy subject here, as we are kinda limited on what we can and can't advise as there are possible liability concerns.  Catastrophic failures are possible, however unlikely and if we advice something and you void the warranty on your CPU then blow it up, or some other part that can become an issue.  We try to supply enough info in the BIOS guide to make informed decisions for clocking your CPU/RAM."

Dave,

Thanks for the responses. Here is the guide I was using that is going against what you are saying.

"Turn on your PC and boot into the bios.   Once inside the bios, load optimized
defaults.  This will reset everything in the bios to stock.  Next locate all the
power saving features namely EIST, C1E, C3/C6 and DISABLE all these features."

I found out thru my own try and fail method that if I disabled EIST my CPU multiplier would NOT apply once inside of windows. I checked with HWinfo and CPU ID and Windows system viewer.
I will take your advice and leave EIST ON.

1. You mentioned updating bios. I actually have never done that. I am not sure how. Do you have a linky?
2. The RAM during stability testing was set to XMP 1 which was using the correct values according to the MFG. Gskill tables. I will do as you say.
Batpimp
Re: Overclock wont stick z97 Classified 2015/07/10 10:37:02 (permalink)
AKToronto
No you should still be able to set your multiplier with EIST off. All cores will then run at that speed. Try updating your bios too.

I tried with EIST disabled but once I do that my CPU multiplier will not apply and save. I can make the changes in the OC tab in BIOS but the changes wont save and apply no matter what I do. I have since learned that if I leave EIST enabled it WILL apply and save once I enter windows and try stability testing. Maybe like dave said a BIOS update will fix that.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Overclock wont stick z97 Classified 2015/07/10 14:06:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Batpimp 2015/07/15 15:42:42
http://www.evga.com/support/download/showdlinfo.aspx?id=6595&type=N&acctype=BIOS&accversion=1.08&part_number=152-HR-E979

That has some info from the current BIOS (there is another current BIOS but that is VERY SPECIFICALLY for the new Broadwell processor, otherwise use the one in the link) you can also look in our support section you can go through the previous updates and see what else was added.  Also all BIOS's are cumulative so each new version will cover ALL of the fixes from previous updates as well.

Once you have updated the BIOS remember that all settings previously set will be erased, so CSM and SATA settings are very important, if you made changes to those they will need to be done before going back into windows.  Otherwise the other changes can be done at will, such as XMP or overclocking.
Batpimp
Re: Overclock wont stick z97 Classified 2015/07/15 15:42:48 (permalink)
thanks! Been using this a while. Worked.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Overclock wont stick z97 Classified 2015/07/15 15:43:50 (permalink)
Good!  Glad it worked out for you.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile