EVGA

Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise?

Author
jrodefeld7
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/07 17:08:34 (permalink)
Hello,

A few months ago I purchased an EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC to install on my custom build.  I'm running a watercooling loop and I ordered an EK waterblock and backplate for the 980 at the same time. 

I installed everything and it worked great at first.  Then in short order, the DVI port started to have problems.  I am running a Sony GDM-FW900 CRT monitor so I use a DVI-A cable to connect it.  However, the analog video pins don't connect properly and my screen is either all red, or all blue, or purple or otherwise miscolored.  I've jiggled the connector and it sometimes will display correctly for a second.

I've got a backup GPU that works just fine.  

Anyway, I was approved for an RMA service and likely replacement under my warranty.  However I am very concerned now because I cannot for the life of me find the stock heatsink and fans!  I removed them immediately after I received the card and installed the EK waterblock.  I cannot possibly imagine that I would throw them away but maybe they are lost?

Is there any possibility that EVGA would work with me and replace the card anyway?  They could just send me a replacement card that doesn't have a stock heatsink/fan installed as I don't need it.  Or could I pay the difference just for the heatsink or something like that?

The card itself is virtually brand new.  I've only had it a couple of months and it is in flawless condition, never overclocked, just with the above mentioned issue with analog DVI connections.

Or maybe I could purchase just the stock heatsink separately so I have it for RMA purposes or if I end up selling this card in the future?

8 Replies Related Threads

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/07 17:11:39 (permalink)
    We always do our best to work with customers on things, but I cannot say for sure in this instance.  I will send this thread to the RMA manager for review.
    jrodefeld7
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/07 17:20:44 (permalink)
    I'd really appreciate some consideration in this instance.  I have been a loyal EVGA customer for many years and I'd like to continue to buy your great products.  It would be really hard to take a total loss on a brand new graphics card that cost $500.  If I can't use it with my Sony FW900 monitor, then it is pretty much useless to me.  I've never had connector issues like this with any graphics card I've ever owned.

Your consideration is greatly appreciated.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/07 17:26:58 (permalink)
    SCROUNGE to find that cooler.  Hopefully you set it in a closet or something that you didn't realize and you find it soon :-)
    UnReal-4-Life
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 353
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/08 04:07:36 (permalink)
    Should have done the switch first, You would have got the card from them and you could have used there parts instead of telling them its all apart and void of warranty.Now its too late . "nothing you can do you made a fatal error."

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/08 04:22:41 (permalink)
    Jut realized this is in the overclocking section.  It may get more attention if the Mods move it over to the RMA section where the RMA team can see it quicker.  Maybe not...

Also, if he finds the parts, it doesn't void the warranty. It only voids the warranty indefinitely if he damages the card.
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1461
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/08 06:02:25 (permalink)
    jrodefeld7
    Hello,

A few months ago I purchased an EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC to install on my custom build.  I'm running a watercooling loop and I ordered an EK waterblock and backplate for the 980 at the same time. 

I installed everything and it worked great at first.  Then in short order, the DVI port started to have problems.  I am running a Sony GDM-FW900 CRT monitor so I use a DVI-A cable to connect it.  However, the analog video pins don't connect properly and my screen is either all red, or all blue, or purple or otherwise miscolored.  I've jiggled the connector and it sometimes will display correctly for a second.

I've got a backup GPU that works just fine.  

Anyway, I was approved for an RMA service and likely replacement under my warranty.  However I am very concerned now because I cannot for the life of me find the stock heatsink and fans!  I removed them immediately after I received the card and installed the EK waterblock.  I cannot possibly imagine that I would throw them away but maybe they are lost?

Is there any possibility that EVGA would work with me and replace the card anyway?  They could just send me a replacement card that doesn't have a stock heatsink/fan installed as I don't need it.  Or could I pay the difference just for the heatsink or something like that?

The card itself is virtually brand new.  I've only had it a couple of months and it is in flawless condition, never overclocked, just with the above mentioned issue with analog DVI connections.

Or maybe I could purchase just the stock heatsink separately so I have it for RMA purposes or if I end up selling this card in the future?

Hi jrodefeld,

We do require that all products that are approved for RMA be sent in their factory condition undamaged in order to be supported under warranty.  Upon delivery and review, we may assess a service charge from you for any incomplete or modified product that is returned and requires repair or replacement based upon the actual material and labor cost to replace missing or modified parts back to their original factory condition.

I hope this helps resolve any questions you may have.

Regards,

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

jrodefeld7
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/08 15:15:39 (permalink)
    Okay, just to be clear you will repair or replace the videocard under warranty BUT charge for the missing heatsink?  The card is not damaged or misused in any way whatsoever.  It works perfectly EXCEPT for a wonky DVI port that doesn't output analog video to my CRT correctly.

I don't mind if you just charge me for the missing part.  I would guess that you could easily just replace the DVI port rather than having to send a whole new card.  

Any estimates as to what you would charge for the missing heatsink and cooler?
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1461
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Issue with RMAing my 980 SC, please advise? 2015/07/08 15:22:40 (permalink)
    jrodefeld7
    Okay, just to be clear you will repair or replace the videocard under warranty BUT charge for the missing heatsink?  The card is not damaged or misused in any way whatsoever.  It works perfectly EXCEPT for a wonky DVI port that doesn't output analog video to my CRT correctly.

I don't mind if you just charge me for the missing part.  I would guess that you could easily just replace the DVI port rather than having to send a whole new card.  

Any estimates as to what you would charge for the missing heatsink and cooler?

Hello jrodefeld7,

As long as the product arrives undamaged, we will likely assess a service fee for the missing items.  In this case the heatsink, fan and hardware assembly.

I am unfortunately unable to quote you an exact amount until we have physically received the unit to review and assess the condition.

Regards,

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile