Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102231
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/07/06 09:15:06 (permalink)
http://www.techpowerup.com/214093/realtek-develops-new-onboard-lan-chip-to-win-back-gamer-crowd.html

Don't know if this will be good enough to cause manufacturers to turn away from Intel

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

14 Replies Related Threads

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/06 09:27:08 (permalink)
    I don't know about Intel but I hope they turn away from Qualcomm's Killer Network manager. I have nothing but problems with it resetting the upload and download speeds and re-enabling the network application control. I think I found a workaround by disabling its service in Windows. I remember being on the phone to FIOS tech support and fuming about only getting 10 Mb/s upload speed when I was paying for 25/25. What really had me baffled is that my G3258 build was doing above and beyond in Speedtest. I was totally embarassed to find out it was the Killer Network settings.
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8325
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/06 09:35:03 (permalink)
    I remember having the Realtek Gigabit LAN on my EVGA E758.  Was a really reliable connection.  Realtek has really stepped it up with their peripherals, including onboard sound.  Good for them.

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/06 09:59:45 (permalink)
    My G3258 build uses a Realtek LAN and I had forgotten how reliable they were. I fell for the Killer Network hype when I bought this motherboard. The other motherboard is also from MSI so at least they are making a move in the right direction by getting away from Qualcomm with their PC Mate Z97 board.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/06 10:20:06 (permalink)
    competition is always good , or no progress is ever made.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/06 13:57:50 (permalink)
    Nice, maybe we'll see realtek do well and abit more umph in the sound chips as well, better drivers from their sound and nics. Overall I've been pretty lucky on realtek sound and nics, think I've had one or two pos realtek chips/drivers over the past 20 yrs of my hardware.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/06 15:50:47 (permalink)
    This never was really a "thing" to begin with. The concept that you could do away with latency on the front end of the network totally ignores the fact that your ISP sucks to begin with. Never mind everyone between you and that game server farm you're connecting to.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/07 09:39:15 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    This never was really a "thing" to begin with. The concept that you could do away with latency on the front end of the network totally ignores the fact that your ISP sucks to begin with. Never mind everyone between you and that game server farm you're connecting to.

Very true, but you can reduce/remove the latency on your own end, which was the goal.  In the end they were, in my opinion, more trouble than they were worth.  Some people who really spent some time and had a great connection got those REALLY working well, otherwise I have usually seen more swearing at them than using them.

But as for Realtek, hope it does well, as always, more competition is a good thing.  Been a fan of Intel, but in the end, no real complaints about the Realtek NIC's I have had over the years.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/07 10:37:03 (permalink)
    I don't really know anything about latency as I am still pretty much a noob when it comes to the more technical issues. What I do know is that my Z97 with a Realtek network chip, the Z97 with the Killer network chip and my old Core2-Duo laptop with an Intel network chip all get the exact same results from Speedtest with a ping of 14 to 19ms.
    seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/07 14:07:16 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    I don't really know anything about latency as I am still pretty much a noob when it comes to the more technical issues. What I do know is that my Z97 with a Realtek network chip, the Z97 with the Killer network chip and my old Core2-Duo laptop with an Intel network chip all get the exact same results from Speedtest with a ping of 14 to 19ms.

What i think brad is trying to say is this. You can control how fast your network is and the ping aka latency is, for your home only. Even if you have a 1000gig connection with 1 ms ping/latency, inside your house, it doesnt matter. As soon as you try to grab something outside your house via your ISP, you are at the mercy of your ISP. If they cap you at .35gb/s and have a 300ms ping, you are stuck at .35gb/s with 300ms ping.

The real issue with internet in USA and some other countries (looking at you too canada). Is that the ISP only care about profits and upgrading backbones and servers takes a huge hit to profits. We have grown used to it, and people are just barely really concerned about it. Romania that many people tease as a "backward eastern euro country" has faster intenet, places that USA citizens think are 3rd world countries beat our internet. It really is sad when you see how much money ISP make and how much they upgrade their equipment.
    post edited by seta8967 - 2015/07/07 16:31:05
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/07 14:15:48 (permalink)
    If you search for "First honest cable company" you'll find a YouTube video that pretty much sums it up.
    Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/07 19:17:36 (permalink)
    seta8967
    Zuhl3156

What i think brad is trying to say is this. You can control how fast your network is and the ping aka latency is, for your home only. Even if you have a 1000gig connection with 1 ms ping/latency, inside your house, it doesnt matter. As soon as you try to grab something outside your house via your ISP, you are at the mercy of your ISP. If they cap you at .35gb/s and have a 300ms ping, you are stuck at .35gb/s with 300ms ping.

The real issue with internet in USA and some other countries (looking at you too canada). Is that the ISP only care about profits and upgrading backbones and servers takes a huge hit to profits. We have grown used to it, and people are just barely really concerned about it. Romania that many people tease as a "backward eastern euro country" has faster intenet, places that USA citizens think are 3rd world countries beat our internet. It really is sad when you see how much money ISP make and how much they upgrade their equipment.

I'm curious if you have ever had to manage a project where you install your company's own lines across a city for multiple remote sites rather than leasing connections from vendors.

I am just wrapping a year long project to put in fiber to 35 remote sites across a medium sized city. Just hardware and vendor installation was almost a million dollars. That number is even with us using county existing fiber that would have made it impossible to finance if we had to lay it as well. This also doesn't count my pay, and the pay of all the others that worked to get the project done.

Now magnify that by a factor of even just 1,000 to upgrade the backbone and equipment servicing say 35,000 endpoints toss in cost for staff to support the endpoints, management, connections to feed those endpoints with, lawyers, insurance, and all the other things needed to run the company and suddenly it seems like ISPs aren't doing too bad of a job.

The reason so many other countries have such great internet is population density. Which is easier to sell to shareholders and management. Several billion dollars to update backbone and endpoints for 650,000 people over 1200 square miles for Lee county Florida. OR several billion dollars to update connections for 8.3 million people that spans 600 square miles in London?

Managing this last big project really opened my eyes as to why ISPs are slow to get increased speeds rolled out especially to remote locations that they have to upgrade the entire path to the endpoint to get faster speeds. The costs are uterly astronomical and takes many years to pay off. Midway through people start whining about wanting more speed at lower prices.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/07 22:02:23 (permalink)
    Bruno747
    seta8967
    Zuhl3156

I'm curious if you have ever had to manage a project where you install your company's own lines across a city for multiple remote sites rather than leasing connections from vendors.

I am just wrapping a year long project to put in fiber to 35 remote sites across a medium sized city. Just hardware and vendor installation was almost a million dollars. That number is even with us using county existing fiber that would have made it impossible to finance if we had to lay it as well. This also doesn't count my pay, and the pay of all the others that worked to get the project done.

Now magnify that by a factor of even just 1,000 to upgrade the backbone and equipment servicing say 35,000 endpoints toss in cost for staff to support the endpoints, management, connections to feed those endpoints with, lawyers, insurance, and all the other things needed to run the company and suddenly it seems like ISPs aren't doing too bad of a job.

The reason so many other countries have such great internet is population density. Which is easier to sell to shareholders and management. Several billion dollars to update backbone and endpoints for 650,000 people over 1200 square miles for Lee county Florida. OR several billion dollars to update connections for 8.3 million people that spans 600 square miles in London?

Managing this last big project really opened my eyes as to why ISPs are slow to get increased speeds rolled out especially to remote locations that they have to upgrade the entire path to the endpoint to get faster speeds. The costs are uterly astronomical and takes many years to pay off. Midway through people start whining about wanting more speed at lower prices.

I have never done a metropolitan area, but military installations which can get as large as small cities and run multiple type of networks. We run millions of dollars between laborers to dig holes, switches, routers, cable, etc etc. 

The issue I have is that in places like Korea a 20mb internet connections is free. In fact my internet for a 100mb connection ate my apartment is actually free. My issue is that the ISPs saying how expensive it is. Then how are companies like google doing it? There are places that haven't had updated internet connection in years but are paying 60+ a month. We need to reform how we handle internet and upgrading. I am curious how much ISPs make vs how much they put into a area's upgrades every year.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/08 05:46:52 (permalink)
    Delete
    post edited by Zuhl3156 - 2015/07/08 06:52:18
    Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Realtek Develops New Onboard LAN Chip to Win Back Gamer Crowd 2015/07/08 06:27:45 (permalink)
    seta8967

I have never done a metropolitan area, but military installations which can get as large as small cities and run multiple type of networks. We run millions of dollars between laborers to dig holes, switches, routers, cable, etc etc. 

The issue I have is that in places like Korea a 20mb internet connections is free. In fact my internet for a 100mb connection ate my apartment is actually free. My issue is that the ISPs saying how expensive it is. Then how are companies like google doing it? There are places that haven't had updated internet connection in years but are paying 60+ a month. We need to reform how we handle internet and upgrading. I am curious how much ISPs make vs how much they put into a area's upgrades every year.

I actually have insight into how google does it. Fort Myers actually went through the paperwork and conference calls to be considered for google fiber. 

What google does according to the information that we were given is this.

They look for an area that has loads of existing fiber in place where the group or company that owns it is financially in ruins or close to it. That or they just want to stop maintaining cost to have locates and other work done any time someone nearby calls before they dig. They go almost exclusively for fiber because as technology continues to move forward, it seems all you have to do to upgrade the backbone is replace either endpoint. Bam so long as the fiber was terminated and fused correctly when originally run, that 1gb link just went to 100+gb. When they find this scenario, they purchase or lease the fiber for pennies on the dollar to what it cost to run it originally. Then one of the largests costs associated with the project is paid for with a small fraction of the budget. The only parts left for fiber is regeneration stations, and the fiber to the homes which while still costly is cheaper to do than running it under state highways, railroads, and every other obstruction that wants 500-5000 dollars for a permit to bore under it.

Google tried to buy FPL's fiber down here and FPL was having none of it. They just finished laying the fiber and only have a handful of clients on it.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile