EVGA

980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
parkerlewis
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/03 13:45:28 (permalink)
I installed a hybrid kit on my 980 Ti SC a few days ago and was disappointed to hear a buzzing noise coming from the pump as soon as I turned my PC on.

I have a Fractal Design Define R4 case which has a pretty good amount of sound dampening but I can still hear a constant buzz coming from the pump. I have the radiator mounted higher than the card, with the hoses on the side of the radiator that's closest to the ground.

I hooked the hybrid's radiator fan up to my case's fan controller and when I run my two (140mm) case fans and the hybrid kit's radiator fan at 7v the fans are all basically silent but the pump's constant buzz is very noticeable. When I run all the fans at the full 12v then it is harder to hear the buzz of the pump but the overall loudness of my system greatly increases.

I've tried a few things like laying my case down horizontally or tapping the hoses but nothing seems to have had any effect on reducing the noise from the pump.

Can anyone else with a hybrid card/kit let me know if their pump makes a constant buzzing sound? I'm trying to figure out if this is just common to the design of the hybrid cooler or if I might have gotten a faulty pump in my kit.

60 Replies Related Threads

jlp209
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/03 13:48:05 (permalink)
    My pump does not make any buzzing sound, all I hear is the woosh of the radiator fan. I have my radiator mounted at the top of my case horizontally. 

Asus ROG Strix Z390-I / i9 9900K @ 4.8ghz / Noctua NH-U12A / EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra / 32 gb G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram / Inland Premium 2TB NVMe SSD / WD 4TB SSD / LG 27GN950 4K 144hz monitor / Silverstone SX1000 PSU / Lian Li TU150 ITX case 
    parkerlewis
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/03 13:52:17 (permalink)
    jlp209
    My pump does not make any buzzing sound, all I hear is the woosh of the radiator fan. I have my radiator mounted at the top of my case horizontally. 

Interesting, thanks.. the sound coming from mine is pretty obvious which makes me think that maybe I got a bad unit.

I was reading up on water cooling pump noise and saw some people mention that they had pumps with buzzing noise that went away after something like 50-60 hours of use, so I'm planning on keeping my system turned on throughout the long holiday weekend to see if it goes away on its own in time.
    jlp209
    iCX Member
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/03 13:57:57 (permalink)
    parkerlewis
    Interesting, thanks.. the sound coming from mine is pretty obvious which makes me think that maybe I got a bad unit.

I was reading up on water cooling pump noise and saw some people mention that they had pumps with buzzing noise that went away after something like 50-60 hours of use, so I'm planning on keeping my system turned on throughout the long holiday weekend to see if it goes away on its own in time.

Yeah it's weird. I've read posts on here of people experiencing loud buzzing and also loud fan noise from radiator so you're not alone. Sounds like a good idea leave it running for the weekend and if no change request an RMA.

Asus ROG Strix Z390-I / i9 9900K @ 4.8ghz / Noctua NH-U12A / EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra / 32 gb G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram / Inland Premium 2TB NVMe SSD / WD 4TB SSD / LG 27GN950 4K 144hz monitor / Silverstone SX1000 PSU / Lian Li TU150 ITX case 
    Pierit
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/03 14:05:57 (permalink)
    Mine is doing this too. It's immensely annoying.

Let me know if it goes away or if you find a fix.
    xXxDieselxXx
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/03 17:21:37 (permalink)
    You may want to take a look at this http://forums.evga.com/m/...5573&fp=1&p=15
    Congrats. Mine won't get here till Monday.  oh well...but just a tip I read this on another forum when I was wondering how to mount the radiator since the instruction on EVGA's website has no mention of how it should be mounted in the case. Regarding the H80 CPU coolers, but if you mount it vertically you should mount it so that the tubes are towards the bottom or you might get noise. From this post on another website: http://www.neowin.net/for...-corsair-water-cooler/
    Pierit
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/03 21:21:21 (permalink)
    xXxDieselxXx
    You may want to take a look at this
    Congrats. Mine won't get here till Monday.  oh well...but just a tip I read this on another forum when I was wondering how to mount the radiator since the instruction on EVGA's website has no mention of how it should be mounted in the case. Regarding the H80 CPU coolers, but if you mount it vertically you should mount it so that the tubes are towards the bottom or you might get noise. From this post on another website:

I had read that as well, but it can't always be done. Take that first picture, for instance -- if the card were an EVGA Hybrid, the tubes would terminate at the bottom of the radiator all of 1" away. I don't think they can bend that extremely, and even if they could they would protrude so far as to stop you from closing your case.

There's a bit more freedom with water cooling a CPU, since it's farther away and you can choose how to mount the waterblock and thus which direction the tubes come out.

post edited by Pierit - 2015/07/03 21:29:45
    stgrosso
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/03 22:30:48 (permalink)
    I had the hybrid and the pump buzz noise too. From what I saw, this sound is just typical for every AIO. Just see at youtube others AIO solutions ("corsair pump noise") and you will notice that all AIO made exactly the same buzz noise.

With the radiator-fan at 7v you will notice the pump noise. It made me crazy :O.

Now I have a SC+ ACX2.0+ and I'm very, very happy with: very quite and cool at full load.

Either you go for a custom loop or for air-fan, if you need SILENCE at idle like me.

My opinion.

Pierit
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/04 18:58:04 (permalink)
    stgrosso
    I had the hybrid and the pump buzz noise too. From what I saw, this sound is just typical for every AIO. Just see at youtube others AIO solutions ("corsair pump noise") and you will notice that all AIO made exactly the same buzz noise.

With the radiator-fan at 7v you will notice the pump noise. It made me crazy :O.

Now I have a SC+ ACX2.0+ and I'm very, very happy with: very quite and cool at full load.

Either you go for a custom loop or for air-fan, if you need SILENCE at idle like me.

My opinion.

That's disheartening. I've seen some people have success downvolting the pump itself, in the case of this cooler and with Corsair coolers, but to do so I'd need an adapter that only one site appears to have, and it ships from China.

For some reason I can't include links in my posts, but if anyone is curious just search Google for "4pin mini gpu to 4pin pwm" and it's the first result.
    stgrosso
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/04 23:08:59 (permalink)
    Pierit
    stgrosso

My opinion.

That's disheartening. I've seen some people have success downvolting the pump itself, in the case of this cooler and with Corsair coolers, but to do so I'd need an adapter that only one site appears to have, and it ships from China.

For some reason I can't include links in my posts, but if anyone is curious just search Google for "4pin mini gpu to 4pin pwm" and it's the first result.

I don't want to pay 850€ for a product that I have to modify to make it work like I wish and with the fear that it could be damaged and that this could be my fault.

I bought the SC+ ACX2.0+ and I'm very happy with!
    parkerlewis
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/05 22:05:03 (permalink)
    stgrosso

My opinion.

Looks like my hybrid's pump buzz is here to stay, I've had my PC on for 72+ hours and there's no change in sound. Even with my two system fans and the radiator fan running at 12v I can still detect the buzzing sound.

It's a neat trick to have a card this powerful stay at 43C after hours of gaming but honestly I'd rather have a card that ran at 70C and didn't make a buzzing sound. I have a big case that works fine with air coolers and keep my PC in a cool basement so heat isn't that much of a concern for me. The hybrid cooler didn't allow me to pull off any kind of amazing OC either, I've settled on around 1450-1500 MHz which seems doable by most of the custom PCB/air cooler solutions out there. 

I guess that in retrospect, for the qualities that I value (noise > speed/overclockability > temperature), I would have been better off waiting for a custom 980 Ti than buying a reference one and putting a hybrid cooler on it.
    stgrosso
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/05 22:13:27 (permalink)
    parkerlewis
    stgrosso

My opinion.

Looks like my hybrid's pump buzz is here to stay, I've had my PC on for 72+ hours and there's no change in sound. Even with my two system fans and the radiator fan running at 12v I can still detect the buzzing sound.

It's a neat trick to have a card this powerful stay at 43C after hours of gaming but honestly I'd rather have a card that ran at 70C and didn't make a buzzing sound. I have a big case that works fine with air coolers and keep my PC in a cool basement so heat isn't that much of a concern for me. The hybrid cooler didn't allow me to pull off any kind of amazing OC either, I've settled on around 1450-1500 MHz which seems doable by most of the custom PCB/air cooler solutions out there. 

I guess that in retrospect, for the qualities that I value (noise > speed/overclockability > temperature), I would have been better off waiting for a custom 980 Ti than buying a reference one and putting a hybrid cooler on it.

You say!

I reach with my SC 1480mhz rock stable. Temp 74c and noise quite, much quieter than reference card. See the reviews: the SC is almost the quietest card on air.

Cheers
    jlp209
    iCX Member
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/05 22:22:02 (permalink)
    parkerlewis

That's too bad. Are you going to just live with it or request an RMA?

p1er1t
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/06 10:44:33 (permalink)
    parkerlewis
    stgrosso

My opinion.

I'm in the same boat. It's quieter at load (which I never really cared about), but noisier at idle due to the buzz, and didn't help my OC at all. I am maxed at 1480/8000 which is what I ran with the reference cooler.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I might return it but I'm not looking forward to having to remove it and reinstall the stock components.

Edit: If it wasn't obvious I am the guy from earlier in the thread... dunno how I ended up with two accounts.
    post edited by p1er1t - 2015/07/06 10:47:54
    blakedj06
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/06 14:42:53 (permalink)
    i have 2 TitanX Hybridcoolers since Today and the buzz sound to. Its louder then the Refcooler on Idle. The Fan is not a Problem but the Pump....
    EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/06 19:00:11 (permalink)
    Can you share a picture of the radiator oreientation and location in the case?

If your tubes are on the topside of the radiator, try mounting on bottom like below picture. Also try mounting the radiator at a higher position than the GPU if at all possible:

Pierit
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/06 19:07:05 (permalink)
    EVGA_JacobF
    Can you share a picture of the radiator oreientation and location in the case?

If your tubes are on the topside of the radiator, try mounting on bottom like below picture. Also try mounting the radiator at a higher position than the GPU if at all possible:

I can't mount it that way due to the proximity of the card to the mounting area. I'd venture to guess most people can't. See my prior post (#7).
    stgrosso
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/06 22:35:16 (permalink)
    People, this pump makes buzz noises which are just typical for a AIO that works at full speed. And the pump works here only at full speed. This is my experience so far.

Either you live with that or RMA for a refund.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/06 22:50:26 (permalink)
    stgrosso

This is bull, as my Corsair AIO cpu cooler does NOT have this issue. 
    stgrosso
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/06 22:51:40 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    stgrosso

This is bull, as my Corsair AIO cpu cooler does NOT have this issue. 

Maybe because you can set the speed?

I saw many videos on youtube "corsair pump noise" and ALL have this buzz sound when at full speed...
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/07 05:36:30 (permalink)
    Every AIO on full speed DDC pump and even D5 produce some noise.
    You can't find completely silent pump. Example my CORSAIR H100 produce grinding noise when fan controller is on low.
    People RMA coolers because of that I didn't want because I keep on Balanced where noise gone completely. 
    Same is with other coolers... Good example is pump on Fury X whine and card produce coil whine.
    Looking all others coolers and video clips over net I can say EVGA Hybrid is very good, even excellent.
    If no problem with temps you can drop pump speed with molex modification for 7V or with motherboard BIOS with 70% of voltage for that fan controller.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Pierit
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/07 07:22:57 (permalink)
    Vlada011
    Every AIO on full speed DDC pump and even D5 produce some noise.
    You can't find completely silent pump. Example my CORSAIR H100 produce grinding noise when fan controller is on low.
    People RMA coolers because of that I didn't want because I keep on Balanced where noise gone completely. 
    Same is with other coolers... Good example is pump on Fury X whine and card produce coil whine.
    Looking all others coolers and video clips over net I can say EVGA Hybrid is very good, even excellent.
    If no problem with temps you can drop pump speed with molex modification for 7V or with motherboard BIOS with 70% of voltage for that fan controller.

I am trying to source an adapter to convert the pump cable to a typical 3-pin or 4-pin, so I can do as you mentioned, but so far I've only found one and it ships from China. I suppose I'll have to order that one if I can't find it anywhere else.
    dellycowboy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/13 13:39:54 (permalink)
    I have this too and it is really annoying. It sounds like a bad power transformer and is completely unacceptable on a 650 pound graphics card. I can confirm that mounting the fan the other way does not improve the situation.

What is very annoying is that I looked at loads of reviews and not one of them mentioned this issue. I can only assume it does not affect all 980TI Hybrids. I also have a lot of bubbling and gurgling. Once it warms up it is fine but in normal windows I hear gurgling and buzzing. 
    Very disappointing.
    Crimson AL
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/13 13:59:48 (permalink)
    Have you tried running Heaven or another benchmark for long periods?

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/13 14:10:51 (permalink)
    dellycowboy
    I have this too and it is really annoying. It sounds like a bad power transformer and is completely unacceptable on a 650 pound graphics card. I can confirm that mounting the fan the other way does not improve the situation.

What is very annoying is that I looked at loads of reviews and not one of them mentioned this issue. I can only assume it does not affect all 980TI Hybrids. I also have a lot of bubbling and gurgling. Once it warms up it is fine but in normal windows I hear gurgling and buzzing. 
    Very disappointing.

You think Asetek care how much cost graphic card. EVGA only need to underline them importance of silent pump and nothing else.
    Look Fury X cost even more 690-700$ and much more people complain on that, and reviews reports annoying whine from pump. T
    hey build such noisy pump and she leave very bad impression on customers from first days of launching Fury X.
    And what AMD can do... If CM or Asetek are not aware of importance to build something completely silent, probably and something like that is not possible for 40-50$ pump with radiator. And they need to build even for 30-40$ everything if customers don't want to price cross 100$ in store.
    Like you say I think that people are maybe more sensitive to noise and maybe few samples are little noisy under idle.
    Temps are fantastic, probably pump work even faster than need because more space for OC.

I think Hybrid is excellent solution, I would not afraid at all of little noise, even water cooling pumps DDC, D5, most models became noisy over level 2 speed. But Hybrid will evolve 100% in future, and next year maybe customers even get possibility to change pump speed with software. 

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/07/13 14:16:22

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

jlp209
    iCX Member
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/13 15:32:12 (permalink)
    dellycowboy

Very disappointing.

That doesn't sound normal to me. I've used Corsair AIO cpu coolers before and that happens for maybe 5-10 seconds while everything is starting up anyway. But it goes away after that. I'd stick with it if you can since there's no stock around, and once more stock becomes available request an RMA.

ShadowYuna
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/13 17:00:00 (permalink)
    Same issue that I had before.

People who says all AIO cooler has pump noise, are you sure you used all AIO cooler??

For me I used H105 as CPU(before H110) both cooler did not had pump noise at all. All I could hear was little pump noise when the PC boot.

I contact EVGA for RMA the Hybrid Cooler but they said it is normal.

So here is what I have done

Corsair H75 Copper plate is plate so it wont be fit on graphic card

but EVGA Hybrid Cooler copper base is same as below picture.

so take the cooper plate from Hybrid Cooler and install into H75 as picture below

It will looks like this when it is finish.

Install is easy. You can install into reference shroud but need to modify little bit of shroud. So I recommand you buy spare cooler from ebay or something

This is how it looks like when you install in PC

By using H75 no more pump noise at all and also the pump speed can be control by MB or fan controller.

I have used H90 , H75 , X31 for above modification but best result was H75

So my opinion on EVGA hybrid cooler pump is not good pump has been used. 

Same PC part but just pump has been changed and pump noise has been gone even on idle and full load. Also for the performance it is slightly better than EVGA Hybrid stock pump

Attached Image(s)

Janus007x
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/07/14 22:50:42 (permalink)
    Very interesting to know that.

Now EVGA need to put Corsair AIO on their cards. 

formula72
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/08/05 19:43:35 (permalink)
    I'm in the process of an RMA, and I have the buzzing noise. With some investigative work, it turns out it's not the pump ( that's extremely quiet ), but the standard Nvidia fan. On mine,  there seems to be "resistance", like maybe a bad bearing or out of balance fan issue. 

For those that have confirmed pumping issues, you should not hear anything but a mild humm. Those that are unconfirmed, check your memory fan, it might be that ( rubbing on the inside of the shroud / balance issue / early bearing failure ). 

ASUS X99 Pro/3.1 Motherboard Bios 1901
    Intel i7 5960X @ 4.3ghz 
    DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaws 2666 (16GB)
    RTX 3080 Ti FTW3
    Corsair H100i GTX
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 1200W

vegnar
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: 980 Ti Hybrid Pump: Constant Buzzing Noise = RMA? 2015/08/06 09:25:31 (permalink)
    Hi all,

I got my hybrid kit and so far almost happy with it , I don't think I hear any "loud" pump noise , I can only hear the pump working when I put my ear next to it (they do have to make some kind of noise since they are turned on ) so to me that might be normal noise. My issue seems to be one of the tubes is vibrating really hard non stop, the other tube for example vibrates but very light and hardly noticeable.  This is making my case rattle , when I put my hand on the side of my case I can feel the vibration.   So my question is are the tubes supposed to vibrate at all?  what about the intensity? 

Thanks in advance for any clarification , I need to know if I have to RMA this unit (i hope not)  if both tubes were vibrating like the one that is hardly doing it , very light I would be ok I think. 
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile