EVGA

Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rsxownes
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 293
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/06 14:56:18 (permalink)
So I'm currently running what's in my sig. I'm already cooling the CPU with the H110 and running at 4.5Ghz with 1.36v. When I run the RealBench Stress test, the hottest it gets is 76C on core 3. Anyway the point is I want to keep things much cooler and include my video cards. I usually just OC my CPU and video cards, should I include other parts in the Loop?  Keep in mind I play at 4K on all the games I have and even higher on select games. I've heard great things about the hybrid version of the 980TI including its temperature. Here are the options I've been thinking about.

Option 1: Get 2 980 TI Hybrids and call it a day.
Option 2: Get 3 980 TI Hybrids (probably have to get a different case because there isn't enough room for third card with the HAF 932 case and my mobo)
Option 3: Ditch the H110, come up with a custom loop for the CPU and get two or three 980TI Hybrids.
Option 4: Put together a custom loop for the CPU and the 2 or three video cards.

Now if I go custom loop for just the CPU or if I go water-cool everything. Here are some parts I came up with so far while I'm at work. If I don't get the hybrid cards, would a 240 radiator be good enough for 2 or 3 video cards?

Pump: http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/d5-photon-170-reservoirpump-combo
Radiator (CPU only): http://hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/nemesis-products/nemesis-gtx/nemesis-360gtx ( Would have to get another case because HAF 932 can't fit a 360 on top? Would have to look at it when I get home from work.

Current RIG
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo black case
CPU: Intel I9-13900K
MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 5600
PS: EVGA 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W
SSD: Kingston KC3000 4TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe
GPU: Nvidia 4090

Heatware: https://heatware.com/eval.php?id=100702

39 Replies Related Threads

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/06 15:33:28 (permalink)
    I cooled a TON of stuff in my HAF932.  I have done 2 different HAF builds on water, one was a dual proc board and a single card, the other was 3 cards cpu, mobo and VRM block.

You could go with 3 hybrids and the H110 and it would all fit, the 1 hybrid in the spot on the back of the case I think will fit, the other 2 will fit fine on the side panel, make the side panels tricky to remove but doable.

You can go full custom though, you got room for a 360 on top, you need to take it apart to mount it, the plastic front top piece needs to come off, but it can be reattached afterwards. 

Question, which is more important, silence of best possible temps, or a median between the 2, as that will tell  me which rad to recommend.

For Rads, I go hardware labs unless I am in a VERY tight space, a 360 will bolt right in and work very well.  For CPU blocks, EK is solid, as is Swiftech or XSPC, XSPC is usually the best bang for the buck, some might outperform them by a couple degrees, but they are always cheapest, and they look pretty slick too.  Heard the Heatkiller has something solid on the horizon, but I haven't seen a review for one of theirs in a while.  For GPU blocks, I generally use EK, perform good, look good.  Pump, I use D5 or MCP655 (basically the same pump) and they have some really nice attached res's now too, they attach directly, look good, tubing I use 1/2x3/4 lots of capacity, not easy to kink, and go with Tygon or Primochill, just use distilled water and maybe a silvercoil and you are good to go. 
    Fillport and a drain are advised, and you can use the hole in the top of the case to mount a delrin fillport at the top and tube it into the res.  The drain can be a plug, a QD or a valve, just have it at the lowest point in the loop.
    You will find that fittings are the silent killer of your wallet, none of them are expensive but they add up, a LOT.    Som plan carefully and you should be good.  Also, allow about 2 extra feet of tubing more than your measurements, especially if you are new to water, you will have some bad cuts or some mis-measurements, all part of the learning curve, this way it gives you the extra buffer so you don't end up waiting for more tubing after a bad cut, just make another cut.  Also, cut your longest pieces first, so if you have a bad cut,  you may be able to reuse it for a shorter piece.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything you want here, there are a lot of us who will be quick to help.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/06 19:24:14 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    I cooled a TON of stuff in my HAF932.  I have done 2 different HAF builds on water, one was a dual proc board and a single card, the other was 3 cards cpu, mobo and VRM block.

You could go with 3 hybrids and the H110 and it would all fit, the 1 hybrid in the spot on the back of the case I think will fit, the other 2 will fit fine on the side panel, make the side panels tricky to remove but doable.

You can go full custom though, you got room for a 360 on top, you need to take it apart to mount it, the plastic front top piece needs to come off, but it can be reattached afterwards. 

Question, which is more important, silence of best possible temps, or a median between the 2, as that will tell  me which rad to recommend.

For Rads, I go hardware labs unless I am in a VERY tight space, a 360 will bolt right in and work very well.  For CPU blocks, EK is solid, as is Swiftech or XSPC, XSPC is usually the best bang for the buck, some might outperform them by a couple degrees, but they are always cheapest, and they look pretty slick too.  Heard the Heatkiller has something solid on the horizon, but I haven't seen a review for one of theirs in a while.  For GPU blocks, I generally use EK, perform good, look good.  Pump, I use D5 or MCP655 (basically the same pump) and they have some really nice attached res's now too, they attach directly, look good, tubing I use 1/2x3/4 lots of capacity, not easy to kink, and go with Tygon or Primochill, just use distilled water and maybe a silvercoil and you are good to go. 
    Fillport and a drain are advised, and you can use the hole in the top of the case to mount a delrin fillport at the top and tube it into the res.  The drain can be a plug, a QD or a valve, just have it at the lowest point in the loop.
    You will find that fittings are the silent killer of your wallet, none of them are expensive but they add up, a LOT.    Som plan carefully and you should be good.  Also, allow about 2 extra feet of tubing more than your measurements, especially if you are new to water, you will have some bad cuts or some mis-measurements, all part of the learning curve, this way it gives you the extra buffer so you don't end up waiting for more tubing after a bad cut, just make another cut.  Also, cut your longest pieces first, so if you have a bad cut,  you may be able to reuse it for a shorter piece.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything you want here, there are a lot of us who will be quick to help.

I would like in between silence and lower temps, also do you mean this front top plastic piece in the pic?

" />

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/07 09:07:44 (permalink)
    Yes, that piece, it allows you to get to mounting holes for the rad under it, it can be replaced after the rad is installed, as well as the fill port.  The piece can be on or off when installing the fillport, but if it is off, it makes it easier.

I would go with like a Nemesis360 and either Noctua's or Noiseblockers, I would say around 1500 RPM Noiseblockers if you went with those over the Noctua's, but either will do well.  You can go with something with more airflow and run a fan controller and basically dial them to just where you want them, which is what I do, get fans that are a bit loud and huge airflow then use a fan controller to run them at a medium speed.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/07 12:30:43 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Yes, that piece, it allows you to get to mounting holes for the rad under it, it can be replaced after the rad is installed, as well as the fill port.  The piece can be on or off when installing the fillport, but if it is off, it makes it easier.

I would go with like a Nemesis360 and either Noctua's or Noiseblockers, I would say around 1500 RPM Noiseblockers if you went with those over the Noctua's, but either will do well.  You can go with something with more airflow and run a fan controller and basically dial them to just where you want them, which is what I do, get fans that are a bit loud and huge airflow then use a fan controller to run them at a medium speed.

Ok so that Nemesis 360 should definitely perform better than this H110 that I currently have? Also is it possible to replace the 240 radiator that came with the H110 with the Nemesis 360 and work properly. Or do I have to get a pump/reservoir, new block for the CPU, and the tubes with fittings? Thanks Dave.

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/07 13:17:55 (permalink)
    The Nemesis would be a replacement for the AIO you currently use, you would need a pump and whatnot for it.  The Nemesis would be used when making a custom loop.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/07 13:48:58 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    The Nemesis would be a replacement for the AIO you currently use, you would need a pump and whatnot for it.  The Nemesis would be used when making a custom loop.

Thanks for the responses, I'll have to look into a block for the CPU then. I'll also hope that I can get my hands on some Hybrid TI cards. Just another questions, I'll take a pic of the inside of my case to find out for sure if I need to replace my motherboard for a different one to fit 3 video cards, or is it the case?

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/07 13:57:17 (permalink)
    The Nemesis will run regular water blocked cards as well up to 2 with the CPU and still hold descent temps.  3 way SLI I would suggest adding another rad in there. 

If you are running an X99 that is ATX or larger you should be fine, but I can definitely take a look.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/07 16:51:10 (permalink)
    Ok so I should get a 240 radiator for the 3 video cards and put the rad in the front of the case. Yea I'm running the 5930K CPU with the X99-A motherboard from Asus. Now this would all be in a single loop right?

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/07 17:10:22 (permalink)
    A 240 as a secondary would be great, put it in the front, you might have to remove the HDD cage unless you got really tricky with tubing, and that would give you the extra cooling needed to bring the temps down to stone cold, and keep the fans low enough to be nice and quiet.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/08 11:46:22 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    A 240 as a secondary would be great, put it in the front, you might have to remove the HDD cage unless you got really tricky with tubing, and that would give you the extra cooling needed to bring the temps down to stone cold, and keep the fans low enough to be nice and quiet.

Which board did you use to fit 3 GPU's within the HAF 932? With my Asus X99-A board a third GPU will not fit in the next slot down because the PSU is in the way.

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/08 11:57:53 (permalink)
    OK, I looked at the PCIE footprint on your board, that is odd spacing....
    I fit it on a old DFI board, an E768, and a brief test fit for my Dark board (it is in a different case now) granted the Dark was a tight fit, but it fit.  I am familiar with your board from reputation and I had seen it, but did not look that closely at the PCIE spacing, that would take some tricky modding to make it work with that board, sorry for not double checking on that first.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/08 13:35:36 (permalink)
    That's fine, the only thing I can think of to get a third GPU to fit is to actually move the PSU to somewhere else. But it can't go on top due to the H110 Radiator being there. I forgot to post a pic of the inside of my case last night, I'll make sure to do it tonight when I get home so you can see.
    post edited by rsxownes - 2015/07/08 13:55:48

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/08 15:13:53 (permalink)
    Alright, sounds good.  As someone in the car industry once told me "I can make ANYTHING fit, I've got a plasma cutter" and in some level that remains true here, if you are willing to mod it enough, we can make anything fit.

But let's see some pics and go from there.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/10 16:28:21 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Alright, sounds good.  As someone in the car industry once told me "I can make ANYTHING fit, I've got a plasma cutter" and in some level that remains true here, if you are willing to mod it enough, we can make anything fit.

But let's see some pics and go from there.

Sorry for the delay

You can see in this second pic the little room there is between the PSU and the second video card.

Here is a close up between the PSU and second video card. You can see where the third would go. Won't fit :(

post edited by rsxownes - 2015/07/10 17:00:35

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 12:04:59 (permalink)
    Without getting really creative with PCIE ribbons so you can move the card off of the board, I don't see how 3 way can work with this motherboard.  The case itself will accommodate it, but the motherboard has an odd PCIE footprint.

To make sure we are on the same page, this is the board you have, right?  https://www.technopat.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/asus-x99-a-anakart-inceleme-technopat-2.jpg

rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 12:30:53 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Without getting really creative with PCIE ribbons so you can move the card off of the board, I don't see how 3 way can work with this motherboard.  The case itself will accommodate it, but the motherboard has an odd PCIE footprint.

To make sure we are on the same page, this is the board you have, right?  https://www.technopat.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/asus-x99-a-anakart-inceleme-technopat-2.jpg

Yea, the Asus X99-A is the one I have in there. I wonder if the Asus X99-Deluxe would be different enough layout wise to accommodate a third GPU card in my case.

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 13:05:33 (permalink)
    Looks like it should fit and work with triple SLI.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 13:32:05 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Looks like it should fit and work with triple SLI.

Which mobo are you currently using?

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 13:36:23 (permalink)
    On my personal system?  Main rig is a X79 Dark, previously ran an X58 FTW3 in Triple SLI as well, all in that HAF case.
    Granted I am in a MM not for my main, and my HAF is in the closet atm and will be getting some older parts as a backup system.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 13:48:39 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    On my personal system?  Main rig is a X79 Dark, previously ran an X58 FTW3 in Triple SLI as well, all in that HAF case.
    Granted I am in a MM not for my main, and my HAF is in the closet atm and will be getting some older parts as a backup system.

Ok, I'm just looking at how little space there currently is versus if I get say that X99-Deluxe mobo for a third GPU. I'm trying to visualize if a third card would actually fit in there if I go that route. or if were possible to move that PSU somewhere.

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 13:51:09 (permalink)
    The bottom card would cover the bottom of the board but not extend passed it, if it did only by a couple mm.  Just top to bottom put in a card every other slot and you should be good to go.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 13:59:28 (permalink)
    your talking about the X99-deluxe? I wonder if I Newegg would accept exchanges just in case it doesn't fit the third GPU like I want.

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 14:01:45 (permalink)
    Yeah, the X99 deluxe, according to what I am seeing here: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/gallery/ should fit it.  As for the exchange, I don't know, but it can't hurt to ask.
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/13 20:02:47 (permalink)
    Yes, dont order from frozen cpu. They're going through something.
    Use performance PCs.com.

rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/24 12:39:17 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Yeah, the X99 deluxe, according to what I am seeing here: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/gallery/ should fit it.  As for the exchange, I don't know, but it can't hurt to ask.

I ordered 2 980 Ti Classified cards. So for now I'm planning to cram in either a 360 or 480 radiator in the case at the top. I'll just have to cut that front top piece with my dremel tool. Just gonna start with the CPU for now and see how the classifieds do on air. If and when I decide to water cool the two classifieds, I'll add a 240 rad to the loop and put it in the front of the case.
    post edited by rsxownes - 2015/07/24 12:59:19

Current RIG

AlexisRO
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1920
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/25 06:37:23 (permalink)
    On the top a 360 fits. Not sure if you can put a radiator in the front and even if you can dunno about fittings, fans and so on. If you need another radiator your only option, without modding the case, would be outside on the back. If you're interested I could post a few images of my case (or check my ModsRig old pics).

I would not cut the top of the case (post #3), the air is being pushed outside, not straight up as we would want but rather diagonally towards the rear of the case. That's what the grill thingy is there for.  
    post edited by AlexisRO - 2015/07/25 06:39:29

System: 7820X - MSI X299 Carbon AC - G.Skill 32Gb TridentZ 3200 - EVGA 1080 Ti - 500 Gb Samsung 970 EVO , 2Tb Crucial MX500, 2Tb, 3Tb, 4Tb Seagate - Seasonic 1000W Prime - Creative Sound Blaster Z - Windows 10 Pro 64 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Edifier S530D - Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p)

Watercooling loop: Heatkiller CPU - EK 1080 Ti - Swiftech MCP 655 with EK X-Top v2 - XSPC reservoir - Alphacool 480 x2

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/27 09:59:45 (permalink)
    The 480 will not fit in the top, if you are willing to use a drill and knock out the rivets you can remove the drive cage you will have more room in front if you are wanting to keep it all internal.

You might check out an old build at OCN, Paraleyez did a brilliant mod on a HAF932 some years back and you may get some ideas form there, I mention him as he REALLY goes step by step through it.  Just depends on how custom you want to get.
    rsxownes
    iCX Member
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/28 13:02:21 (permalink)
    Just got word that my 2 980 Ti classifieds were delivered. I'll post pics in a thread under the EVGA GeForce 900/TITAN X Series section. So for my 5930k CPU and my two 980 Ti Classifieds, would a 360 rad and a 240 rad be enough to handle my stuff? My cpu is overclocked to 4.5 GHz at the moment and I do like to OC my GPUs also, just a little. If a 360 and a 240 can handle it then that's the way I'll go, I would like to have a good amount of rad power to handle it :D.

Current RIG

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Thinking of watercooling everything, need some advice. 2015/07/28 13:32:27 (permalink)
    You X99 will make a bit of heat, and depending on how much voltage you need those can really become space heaters.  But I think you can expect good temps with that setup.  Infact he has less CPU than you, but here is another build that is using a similar setup.  http://forums.evga.com/Getting-back-in-to-liquid-cooling-m2371325.aspx
    Similar in as much as it is 2 Maxwell cards and a CPU. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile