GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING!

Author
phaseshift
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/03 19:46:21 (permalink)
Okay so today I installed both my GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ gpus both from step up. I ran some 3dmark benchmarks and some valley, then I realized the second GPU on the bottom was getting really hot. It hit 90-93C in AB and at the same time GPU 1 on top was barely at 75C. It may have been at that temperature for about 5-7 minutes until I caught it. So I looked at the GPU and the fans weren't spinning on GPU 2. 

So I took GPU 1 out and put GPU 2 on the first 16x PCIE, booted and the fans were working. So then I installed GPU 1 under GPU 2, same thing happened GPU 2 fan stopped working but GPU 1 was working. 

At this point I think I need to RMA GPU 2, what do you guys think? 

Specs are below
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
16gb 2400mhz Trident X
Supernova P2 1000w
980 Ti ACX2.0+ SLI 

10 Replies Related Threads

NeeqOne
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 170
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 20:35:07 (permalink)
    Have you tried running each card alone. You might want to troubleshoot a bit more before thinking about RMAing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ & EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ (SLI)
    Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T
    Storage: 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro EVO, 1 x Crucial m4 512GB
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 Power Supply
    Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard, Mouse: Asus ROG Gladius Wired Optical Mouse, Sound: V-MODA CROSSFADE M-100 SHADOW Headphones

Pgcmoore
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2037
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 20:51:01 (permalink)
    check the fan cable at the edge of the card on the pcb fan header, make sure its fully seated, if it is contact customer service.

edit, there is also a check box in AB settings for synchronizing similar cars. I dont think it matters as far as fan speeds go but you can try and see.
    post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/07/03 21:08:20

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 21:02:39 (permalink)
    Do you have any software like Precision X or MSI afterburner? If you do then make sure the settings are correct for the fans. If you do not then attempt to download Precision X by EVGA and set your own fan curve and see if the fans on slot 2 operate then. If they work fine then you likely have other software affecting your fan speeds. If they still do not work then you can attempt to reinstall drivers and we can go from there.

But the problem does not sound like a faulty GPU as both cards work fine in slot 1, but not slot 2 which suggests there is software affecting that slot. If it was a faulty GPU then the fans would never turn on, even in slot 1.
    post edited by bsmegreg - 2015/07/03 21:16:14

phaseshift
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 21:04:52 (permalink)
    NeeqOne
    Have you tried running each card alone. You might want to troubleshoot a bit more before thinking about RMAing.

Yup I did, and GPU 2's fans never come on even in AB and I turn the fan speed to manual it won't turn. There was an instance the first time I put GPU 2 alone on my fired PCIE and it worked, the fans, then I added the second GPU and it stopped. So then I tried it by itself again and it never came back on. Plus the fact that I can feel GPU 2 getting significantly warmer than GPU 1 no matter which PCIE it's on.
    phaseshift
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 21:11:12 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    Do you have any software like Precision X or MSI afterburner? If you do then make sure the settings are correct for the fans. If you do not then attempt to download Precision X by EVGA and set your own fan curve and see if the fans on slot 2 operate then. If they work fine then you likely have other software affecting your fan speeds. If they still do not work then you can attempt to reinstall drivers and we can go from there.

But the problem does not sound like a faulty GPU as both cards work fine in slot 1, but not slot 2 which suggests there is software affecting that slot. If it was a faulty GPU then the fans would never turn on, even in slot 1.

Slot 2 works fine, I put GPU 1 in slot 2 and it worked. I used AB with manual fan and GPU 2 doesn't work at all. Ive done the following in order of initial install of both cards:

PCIE 1 - GPU 1, PCIE 3 - GPU 2 (Both worked fine then GPU 2 fans stopped working)
    PCIE 1 - GPU 2 (fans worked once and then when I put GPU 1 on PCIE 3 it stopped working)
    PCIE 1 - GPU 2, PCIE 3 - GPU 1 (GPU 1 fans work, GPU 2 doesn't)
    PCIE 1 - GPU 1, PCIE 3 - GPU 2 (GPU 1 fans work, GPU 2 doesn')

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 21:15:05 (permalink)
    phaseshift
    bsmegreg

Slot 2 works fine, I put GPU 1 in slot 2 and it worked. I used AB with manual fan and GPU 2 doesn't work at all. Ive done the following in order of initial install of both cards:

PCIE 1 - GPU 1, PCIE 3 - GPU 2 (Both worked fine then GPU 2 fans stopped working)
    PCIE 1 - GPU 2 (fans worked once and then when I put GPU 1 on PCIE 3 it stopped working)

Oh... I misread what you said...

In that case it would likely be a faulty GPU. You can contact EVGA using 1-888-881-3842 and request an EAR RMA which would give you free shipping. I would reccomend calling over submitting it through Email or online because calling is easier and you would not have to submit a ticket before applying. So just give them a call now or whenever as they have a 24/7 tech support and they should get the paperwork through on the 5th or 6th as tommorows a holiday. They could also offer a solution in the case if there is one, but this can be a fairly easy to identify problem as it's probably a faulty fan controller.
    post edited by bsmegreg - 2015/07/03 21:28:15

phaseshift
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 21:29:06 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    phaseshift
    bsmegreg

Oh... I misread what you said...

It would likely be a faulty GPU. They can also offer a solution in the case if there is one, but this can be a fairly easy to identify problem as it's probably a faulty fan controller. You can contact EVGA using 1-888-881-3842 and request an EAR RMA which would give you free shipping. I would reccomend calling over submitting it through Email or online because it's easier and you would not have to sybmit a ticket before applying. So just give them a call now or whenever as they have a 24/7 tech support and they should get the paperwork through on the 5th or 6th as tommorows a holiday.

Thanks would I be able to sign up for the cross shipping option through the phone or should I do it through the website first? Since these GPUs are from the Step Up program I have 30 days from when the new GPUs were registered by EVGA right?
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 21:42:36 (permalink)
    You can do the cross ship through the phone and the 30 days doesn't matter so much. A few things to do before you call are registering your card to your account and also uploading the invoice or proof of purchase. You can do this at the link below. You also want the cards serial number for when you call. When you do call go straight to the technical support and they will be able to assist. Remember that you have 14 days from when the package arrives to when you get it scanned to go back and you will be required to drop it off at a UPS store. You will also be required to provide a credit card as collateral, they should only bill you for $1 and refund it within minutes, but they would bill you the retail price if you decided to keep the card. You will also be required to sign for the package.

https://secure.evga.com/S.../ChoosePartNumber.aspx
    post edited by bsmegreg - 2015/07/03 21:45:10

phaseshift
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/03 22:33:28 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    You can do the cross ship through the phone and the 30 days doesn't matter so much. A few things to do before you call are registering your card to your account and also uploading the invoice or proof of purchase. You can do this at the link below. You also want the cards serial number for when you call. When you do call go straight to the technical support and they will be able to assist. Remember that you have 14 days from when the package arrives to when you get it scanned to go back and you will be required to drop it off at a UPS store. You will also be required to provide a credit card as collateral, they should only bill you for $1 and refund it within minutes, but they would bill you the retail price if you decided to keep the card. You will also be required to sign for the package.

https://secure.evga.com/S.../ChoosePartNumber.aspx

Done. Don't think I need an invoice since these cards are from the Step Up program. Just waiting for approval now.
    Judge_Dredd_80
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: GTX 980 Ti SLI FAN NOT WORKING! 2015/07/05 16:11:35 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I have the same problem, new eVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ cards, on one the fan works on the other doesnt and the temps are going up 80C. I checked different PCIE slots, swapped the cards etc. It`s just one card, looks broken.
    Im opening RMA for that. But why do I have to pay for shipping the broken card to eVGA is not cool...

Specs:
    i7-4930k, Windows 7 64
    2xGTX 980Ti SC+
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition 
    Acer Predator XB270HU
    Asus RaidR Express 240 SSD PCI-E
    64GB RibjawZ 1600hz, Quad Channel
    post edited by Judge_Dredd_80 - 2015/07/05 16:15:14
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile