EVGA

BUG REPORT: EVGA PrecisionX, the OSD, and GDI Object Count Out of Control: Crashes

Author
Xranger60
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/05 12:30:28 (permalink)
I just discovered a critical bug in EVGA Precision X. The XNA XPS posing studio application was randomly crashing after I installed an EVGA GTX 980 TI card and upgraded to the latest PrecisionX software. At first I thought it was simply an incompatibility or problem in new NVIDIA drivers with perhaps the XNA framework (which the XNA Lara XPS application relies on). But at the same time, the GTA V launcher, which downloads the GTA V components and is used to launch the game from that point forward, also kept "freezing" but continued to run, indicating a GUI freeze. I figured the two bugs have to be related- I was getting display artifacts when both of them would randomly stop working with the GUI. Some investigation work (lots of googling) brought me to an informative blog post (this forum auto-deletes the link) which  mentions that the max limit of GDI (I saw that GDI module was enabled in the Windows crash reports) objects that can be drawn is 10,000 before Windows will stop the program from creating any more GDI elements. You can view the number of GDI objects in Windows Task Manager (enable the "GDI Objects" column).

On a seemingly unrelated note, I had enabled and used the "On screen display" feature in EVGA precision X. Why is this relevant? I noticed that when both of these applications (GTA Launcher and XNA Lara) opened, the OSD would automatically appear, and for both of them, I would instinctively disable the OSD by using the key combo I set. But when I viewed both through task manager, I saw that as soon as I disabled the OSD, the number of GDI objects would start raising inexplicably and uncontrollably, until the program GUI would freeze (at the moment that the GDI Objects count reached 10,000 objects. However, if I did NOT disable the OSD, then the program would create and destroy GDI objects in the expected manner. I could verify this by enabling and disabling the OSD when the program was running- the objects would stop going out of the control the instance I enabled the OSD.

2 user solutions:

1) either keep the OSD enabled when it appears, or
2) add the affected applications to the Precision X server exclude list. 

However, this is a huge bug that EVGA really needs to fix. 

TLDR: In certain applications, disabling the Precision X OSD will result in GDI objects increasing in number uncontrollably until the application GUI freezes.

Reported Affected Applications
XNALara XPS
GTA V Launcher
VLC Player
Zoom Player

My PrecisionX version: 5.3.5
post edited by Xranger60 - 2015/07/05 20:45:11

4 Replies Related Threads

Gardhul
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA PrecisionX, the OSD, and GDI Object Count out of control 2015/07/05 15:10:25 (permalink)
    Hi, I can totally confirm that: I was getting strange and repeatable crashes in Zoom player and VLC, and when I read this post, I've checked out the GDI obejcts related to these programs when Precision X is active, but with OSD disabled: they raises extremely quickly, leading the releated program to crash within 2/3 minutes.
    There's another solution anyway: disable the OSD options from every statistic elements in GPU statistics dropdown list: when I've experienced the problem I had 4 stats enabled (with general OSD settings disabled): if I disable the "show in On-screen display" options for every stat, the problem goes away.
    BTW: please EVGA fix this problem as soon as possible!

Xranger60
    Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA PrecisionX, the OSD, and GDI Object Count out of control 2015/07/05 16:41:50 (permalink)
    Gardhul
    Hi, I can totally confirm that: I was getting strange and repeatable crashes in Zoom player and VLC, and when I read this post, I've checked out the GDI obejcts related to these programs when Precision X is active, but with OSD disabled: they raises extremely quickly, leading the releated program to crash within 2/3 minutes.
    There's another solution anyway: disable the OSD options from every statistic elements in GPU statistics dropdown list: when I've experienced the problem I had 4 stats enabled (with general OSD settings disabled): if I disable the "show in On-screen display" options for every stat, the problem goes away.
    BTW: please EVGA fix this problem as soon as possible!

Thanks for your reply. I tried VLC and I can confirm that VLC is subject to the GDI Objects bug as well.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA PrecisionX, the OSD, and GDI Object Count out of control 2015/07/05 16:50:45 (permalink)
    ...brought me to an informative blog post (this forum auto-deletes the link)...

1) Here is that link:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsui_team/archive/2013/04/23/debugging-a-gdi-resource-leak.aspx

2) It doesn't seem possible to view the number of GDI objects in task manager in certain operating systems.  This only works in Windows 7?
    Xranger60
    Re: BUG REPORT: EVGA PrecisionX, the OSD, and GDI Object Count out of control 2015/07/05 16:54:39 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    ...brought me to an informative blog post (this forum auto-deletes the link)...

1) Here is that link:

2) It doesn't seem possible to view the number of GDI objects in task manager in certain operating systems.  This only works in Windows 7?

Thanks, that is an informative link, but the one I was using was different, entitled:
    "Why is SolidWorks 'Crashing'? [VIDEO]"

-Not sure which versions of Windows allow for GDI Object count, but I know 8.1 64 bit does- Task Manager-Details Tab-right click on column headings-Select Columns.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile