EVGA

AnsweredIf you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't.

Author
dogma1138
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/07/02 13:32:25 (permalink)
Bought 2 of those of the EU store, wanted to return them before they even arrived due to bad reviews but sadly the EVGA return policy makes it impossible.
As i need to take custody of them and the ship it back to Germany which would cost me more than what the coolers costs (UPS standard for the same package was quoted at 103 GBP) I decided what the heck and try it out before the hydro gets into stock.

Oh boy....

I don't know how EVGA can claim this cooler is quite at 50-60% the ACX is much louder than the ref at 100, i could play games with the ref cooler at 80-85% with my closed headset but with the ACX 2.0 from 40% onward the sound penetrates my headset.
The temps are also as lousy as hell, yes the ACX for SLI was always questionable but it's in a decent case (corsair 750D) there's a a fan directed to increase airflow to the cad (Actually the tri fan of an AC cooler :) ) as well as a duct to reduce the amount of heat carried  over from the bottom card.
With the ACX's the GPU's can't keep up a boost clock, after less than 5 min in any game (which stresses the GPU) the GPU will no longer boost, and while maintaining a decent boost with the Titan X is an issue even with the reference cooler with the ACX 2.0 the card just doesn't cool down during non-intensive scenes.

For example in W3 i can keep up a 1280-1260 average boost clock with a fan setting of 80% on the reference cooler, the boost clock starts much higher at about 1450 and some times goes down to 1100-1150 but it never drops to 1001, and most importantly when you are browsing menus such as the inventory screen during cut scene sequences the GPU cools down extremely fast which over all means that you can keep up a much higher boost clock for when you need it the most.

The sad part that this doesn't even seem to be an issue with the case, open air and single card setups have similar issues, although in a single card setup the ACX at least manages to keep up some boost clock...

Onto the next issue the so called OC headroom, well sorry EVGA but i just don't see it so far I can't keep the same OC that i could with the ref cooler even without a relation to temperatures the cards are simply unstable with the ACX cooler on them.
Various GFX driver crashes even during 2D mode, the fan/LED on the ACX cooler seems to act up (the lights actually flicker when the card is under use, and no it's on the Nvidia Experience setting).

The build quality is also very disappointing the fins are of a fairly low density an they rattle like crazy, many of their interconnects are not bent into place and they seem to slide of the heat pipes rather actually making proper contact with them. 
The memory and VRM cooling is also non existent the cooling block has no connection to the front plate and there's almost no air pressure at any fan speed that manages to get through the fins and hit the plate to cool it down.

So yep EVGA thank you.

2 ACX 2.0+ kits down the drain + another 2 backplate kit i got for the hybrid cooler since you decided no to ship it with them. At this point i don't think i will buy the hydro even tho it's a good cooler since I've wasted enough money (225.6 EURO's about 250$, lol @ the EURO these days)  on your sub-par products already and got nothing but headaches from your CR when trying to return / cancel the order initially.

post edited by dogma1138 - 2015/07/02 13:37:27
EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2032
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/02 15:17:58 (permalink)
Dear dogma1138,

I am very sorry to hear that you are not happy with your cooler.  Please ensure that you do have proper airflow in the system if your cards are running warmer.  Please understand that if your system does not have good airflow then the air will build up and the cards will not run as cool as they can. I would also make sure that when you did apply the thermal compound on the GPU that you did install a thin layer as too much can cause it to heat up.

I assure you that the build quality is good and I am very sorry to hear that you are not happy with your fans as most users are.  I have included a link to an outline of the ACX 2.0 design, of the fan and cooler below, and please do not hesitate to contact our EU office if you should need troubleshooting help with your install. supporteu@evga.com

https://www.evga.com/articles/00872/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-970/#ACXCooling

dogma1138
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/02 16:01:06 (permalink)
Air flow isn't an issue, the cooler underperforms in open air situations as well, it can't keep up decent clocks and it seems to reek havoc with the cards power management system, i had to set up the card to 108% power limit and give it a nice over voltage to keep the card at the same boost as the reference cooler seems to have no issues doing so.

It's also loud as hell, but at least you admit it, having a 47db reference on your site, 47db is louder than a toilet flush, at anything above 40% fan speed on this cooler is extremely loud, it just doesn't seem to be designed for such thermal envelope.

And after a week of having to email EUsupport with 2 days delay for every response I don't see a point of continue to do so, it's not an installation issue one plus of that cooler it's that it's a breeze to install, it's just wasn't engineered for the Titan, it barely holds up on the 980 and the 980 ti's seems to have issues with the ACX coolers as well.

I've installed the cooler with the default thermal compound it didn't work well, tried 2 different thermal compounds on my own, even replaced all the thermal pads just for the kick of it, it still doesn't perform well as the reference cooler yet alone how should a 80 EUR aftermarket cooler should perform.

And sorry the build quality isn't impressive the fins are loose, the fans are not ball baring but 3 phase brushless (at least on the unit's i got)  for that price double ball baring fans and even HDB's should've been included, the fan cable to board connector is also quite flimsy and doesn't fit the socket on the board as well (no positive lock, the LED connector is decent, not as good as the reference one either).

So yes simply a big disappointment the fact that there isn't a way to cancel the order even before the item has officially left the country and to have to RMA it which makes it just not worth the cost is bad enough, but also be disappointed from the quality that just the final straw. Heck the ACX cooler wouldn't feel such a waste if it would've served me even a couple of weeks till the hydro is in stock, but sorry EVGA you made a paper weight with this one.

DragonCLaVV
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 08:14:23 (permalink)
Im disappointed about the cooler too.

Last year when i had the old titan i got the old version of the acx cooler. The cooler hab terrible "scratching" on a few %. Result was: Idle was ok but when i played games the cooler started to reach temps and fan speed goes through the scratching % . Very annoying. I did an rma but the new cooler had the same. Did an rma again but sold the rma unit unopened because it was enough for me.
I was also lucky to get an 780 Classified in my hands with the ACX cooler on it. Surprisingly the same noise too! I could use a fan software to avoid these % but i dont want to run a programm alltime in the background. A unit has to work out of the box without issues.

Now i decided to test the new acx 2.0 on my titan x. Maybe its better now? The first few minutes i was happy because the bad scratching noise wasnt there. Did a valley loop + a benchmark. Noise seems ok. Well... after the card cooled down and reached idle temps the fans started to make a very noticeable more or less high frequency noise. Turned off the computer and started again. Idle -> OK. Started a game to get some load on it. After that back in windows and idle again the high frequency noise was back.

Temperature was better but not much. Without adjusting the fan curve the card reached about 75-77 in valley. Single GPU with great airflow in the case. To get a significant temperature drop the fans need to set higher. And then the card is MUCH louder than the stock fan.

I dont know if i just hear that good but i cant agree to all the positive reviews about the acx cooler in the www. The cooler goes straight back to the dealer.

Love evga but im healed forever about the acx cooler and will never buy a card with the acx on it. 4 times bad experience is enough. Reference <3

Greetings
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 08:27:12 (permalink)
So, bottom line, you're suggesting that the ACX is "louder" than the reference model, not the fact that it's an airflow problem. I don't have the 980ti's, but only the 980's, but the ACX models. I put a fan curve on them, and actually it's my PC fans that are louder than the GPUs (I still maintain amazing temps). Try setting a fan curve on your GPUs. Have you tried that?

What kind of temps are you getting though?

Are you 3x SLI? or 2x?

Are you overclocking your GPUs?

The techs have suggested that you check your airflow because that might be the reason that your GPUs are working harder than they should, due to the actual lack of airflow. It's something to at least double check, making sure the heat is going in the "right direction" (I'm not doubting you). Double checking everything never hurt.
 Sometimes I over check things a 3rd time, just incase I missed something.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/07/03 08:32:37

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
dogma1138
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 08:33:11 (permalink)
They are louder than the ref cooler given the same fan percentage settings, the cards that come with the ACX 2.0 cooler have a different curve set in the bios, i can keep the fans under 30% and they are mostly inaudible but the cooling performance then is quite appalling.

EVGA sadly seems to  just try and copy the same cooler design over and over and it just doesn't work even PALIT Triforce for the 770/780 looks like a better designed cooler, high fin density when needed, VRM's can actually be actively cooled and the heatpipes seem to have decent contact with the fins all unlike this new ACX 2.0+ cooler.

I will RMA both of those for a refund, don't want to resell them since i don't want to screw some one else over with such a poorly designed cooler, not to mention that that market of people who have Titan X's is fairly limited in the 1st place.

stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 08:35:09 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby dogma1138 2015/07/03 08:37:29
dogma1138
They are louder than the ref cooler given the same fan percentage settings, the cards that come with the ACX 2.0 cooler have a different curve set in the bios, i can keep the fans under 30% and they are mostly inaudible but the cooling performance then is quite appalling.

EVGA sadly seems to  just try and copy the same cooler design over and over and it just doesn't work even PALIT Triforce for the 770/780 looks like a better designed cooler, high fin density when needed, VRM's can actually be actively cooled and the heatpipes seem to have decent contact with the fins all unlike this new ACX 2.0+ cooler.

I will RMA both of those for a refund, don't want to resell them since i don't want to screw some one else over with such a poorly designed cooler, not to mention that that market of people who have Titan X's is fairly limited in the 1st place.

look at the questions I asked you please. the 980ti's do run hotter due to the extra beef it has. So cooling could be an issue. how big is your case? Even if you have good airflow, the ambience of the heat from the cards could be a factor too, even if your pc fans are doing good.

I know that you're saying that airflow is not an issue for your, nor is the fact that heat the main topic here, however, but it might be the factor here on why the cards are working so hard. Yes, the ACX models will get louder when over 60%, their fans, that's what they do. "silent" fans will start to sing when you go over a certain RPM. I don't think the ACX was marketed for silent fans, but for its good cooling.

When you compare the ACX fans over AMD fans, it's a totally different comparison (no fanboy here, just so you understand the loudness we're talking here)
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/07/03 08:41:55

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
dogma1138
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 08:49:50 (permalink)
How about reading the entire thread?
The case is 750D, the cooler has poor performance in open-air / bench case situations also, the 980ti isn't running hotter than the Titan X sorry without the RAM on the back of the card the 980ti actually runs considerably cooler.
In a bench scenario with the room at 18c the cooler will under perform, in case scenario with very good airflow the cooler will simply choke, the reference cooler can keep the card under 81-82C (with 83c thermal limit) with a high boost clock, the ACX 2.0+ cooler can't keep any boost clock and it won't go below 86c.

The ACX 2.0+ simply doesn't seem to be capable of catching up with the cards thermal output during load, with the airflow i got in the case i can disconnect the fans and keep the card under 35c idle, however with a ArcticCooler Tri fan blowing at the cards at 12v speed in load it still chokes, sorry my friend close but no cigar with this one EVGA should go back to the drawing board as well as QC check the OEM that made those coolers because at least mine looks like it was assembled by blind chipmunks which put the same amount of love and effort into making these coolers as Hungarian arms factory workers did when assembling Kar 98's during the Nazi occupation...

iycanthropy
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 08:59:56 (permalink)
I have a Corsair 800D which are renowned for their airflow issues but I'm more than impressed with my 980Ti with ACX 2.0. It's boosting to 1235mhz on default clock speeds. I do have a custom curve on the fan but noise is not an issue at all,  my reference GTX 580 was so much louder. The card temperature in The Witcher 3 gets to around 65-75 depending on ambient temperature. My computer room has been 30C this week!

I would really look into your case fans, are they really working to refresh the system air or are they just pushing hot air around the case? 

Intel Xeon X5650 @4Ghz||EVGA X58 FTW3||24GB Crucial DDR3 Tactical Tracer RAM 1866MHZ||EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+||Asus Xonar DX2||Samsung 840Pro 250GB||1TB/2TB Storage||Corsair TX650W||Corsair 800D||Corsair AIO H60||6x120mm Enermax Everast Advance Fans||2x 140mm Enermax Advance||2x Antec Spotcool 100||Pioneer BDR-205||Windows 8.1Pro x64||
iycanthropy
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 09:01:27 (permalink)
Scrap what I just said, looks like you're covering all bases,  RMA time 

Intel Xeon X5650 @4Ghz||EVGA X58 FTW3||24GB Crucial DDR3 Tactical Tracer RAM 1866MHZ||EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+||Asus Xonar DX2||Samsung 840Pro 250GB||1TB/2TB Storage||Corsair TX650W||Corsair 800D||Corsair AIO H60||6x120mm Enermax Everast Advance Fans||2x 140mm Enermax Advance||2x Antec Spotcool 100||Pioneer BDR-205||Windows 8.1Pro x64||
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 09:41:06 (permalink)
dogma1138
How about reading the entire thread?

The thread is about how loud the ACX is.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/07/03 09:59:43

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 09:47:12 (permalink)
iycanthropy
Scrap what I just said, looks like you're covering all bases,  RMA time 

Agreed. Just send them back. Could be a problem with the bearings, or something. who knows.

post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/07/03 10:01:02

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
s4squatch
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 11:38:13 (permalink)
My Gtx 980 Ti SC+ ACX2.0+ stays at 77-78C fans at 50-55%. My room temperature is 29C at the moment. GPU is running at 1.3GHz. My case is Fractal Define Mini. To me it is very silent compared to my old Gtx 980 reference model. A huge difference in sound for the positive. :)
astrallite
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/03 23:13:02 (permalink)
lol put them on ebay and they well sell right away. Or hell sell them to me. The trick with the ACX coolers is to have more exhaust fans than intake fans. 
iycanthropy
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/04 02:20:27 (permalink)
astrallite
lol put them on ebay and they well sell right away. Or hell sell them to me. The trick with the ACX coolers is to have more exhaust fans than intake fans. 

My experiments with ACX and my 800D case show this to be a factor. I've gone for more exhaust fans and found better temperatures all round.

dogma1138
Re: If you are thinking about the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, don't. 2015/07/04 10:51:55 (permalink)
astrallite

Got your PM can't reply apparently my street cred isn't good enough to PM on these forums if you still want them send me other contact details (burnerr mailbox, msn, skype etc.)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile