EVGA

How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI - Sudden Hitching/Stutter In Games (Fullscreen)

Author
ragingcain
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 207
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/06/30 08:04:56 (permalink)
Been making my rounds, OCN, Guru3D, Reddit, etc.  Thought I would share with you guys too, since I am an EVGA owner and fan.

Symptom
  • Issue was introduced recently.
  • Game freezes periodically around every 15 seconds or more, for no more than 100ms~250ms... just enough to piss you off while sniping in BF4.
  • Hiccups in audio, audio distortion, audio static spike, etc.
  • Occasional crashing in DirectX 11 too.

Originally thought it was DPC latency... I was wrong.
    It seems to be triggered when moving your mouse and pressing keys down on the keyboard, troubleshooting steps began with each individual device, then new devices, then USB drivers, then DPC latency, then guessing something wrong with the chipset.

Example of the Hitching:

A period of just leaving a game idle, rendering to screen, followed by simple movements of the mouse while running forward.

Reproducible
    Battlefield Hardline
    Battlefield 4
    Final Fantasy XIV - Heavensward

Cause
    It was an update from Intel that came through Microsoft, but the update is actually a good MEI for 1150/1151. So I checked with Intel to see if there was a corresponding INF update for the chipset.

Update:
    In addition to that, it also seems prevalent on latest nVidia drivers, could not reproduce it when testing older nVidia drivers, aka 347.25.

Cure
    Installing the latest Intel INF Chipset Update, located here:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

Confirmed working on Z97 chipset. If you get this issue and this resolves it, please post your success.

Alternative Cures
    1.) Flipping between Fullscreen and Window using ALT + ENTER in game. Takes 3 or 4 times for it to resolve the issue. It seems starting the game in a window then full screen then an ALT + TAB triggers the issue. Since you can't start it like a regular game for whatever asinine reason, the only resolution is to keep ALT + ENTER going until you have a Fullscreen without hitching occurring.

2.) Running Window Borderless mode. You lose performance over fullscreen but SLI is still technically supported in Window mode. At this point though... I would also consider disabling SLI if that's feasible.

• My development website: BYTE Me Dev

[i7 4970K @ 4.7GHz]
    [G.Skill 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz]
    [EVGA Geforce GTX 780 TI SuperClock SLI]
    [Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark S]
    [Crucial MX100 256GB]
    [4x 1TB Seagate 7200.13 RAID-0]
    [2x 1.5TB Seagate 5400 JBOD]

3 Replies Related Threads

beekermartin
      SSC Member
      • Total Posts : 765
      • Ribbons : 0
      Re: How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI - Sudden Hitching/Stutter In Games (Fullscree 2015/06/30 09:06:30 (permalink)
      I did notice while playing COD Ghosts last night that it wasn't as smooth as usual.  I use Adaptive Vsync and there is no way my setup is not pushing over 60fps.

If I have time tonight I will play for a few minutes to see if it still doing it then install the newest chipset drivers you linked to.  I will post again after that.

Thanks for the heads up! 

beekermartin
      SSC Member
      • Total Posts : 765
      • Ribbons : 0
      Re: How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI - Sudden Hitching/Stutter In Games (Fullscree 2015/07/02 09:15:22 (permalink)
      I installed the new chipset drivers but it didn't seem to help.  I then played around with vsync settings and that helped.  So my issue has more to do with Nvidia settings.  I will get it figured out.  

At least I now have the newest chipset drivers installed!  

ragingcain
      Superclocked Member
      • Total Posts : 207
      • Ribbons : 1
      Re: How To - Fix Intel CPU + Geforce GTX SLI - Sudden Hitching/Stutter In Games (Fullscree 2015/07/02 10:59:19 (permalink)
      It's been brought to my attention, and rightly so, that the Intel Chipset Driver is no longer needed.  In fact, all the utility does is convert Intel based chipsets with the Yellow Exclamation point in Device manager to regular icons.

It should prevent operating system issues with using said devices, but the driver change may not be what fixed the issue even though it has made a difference for some users.  I would guess that the settings the Installer changes might impact the system's performance or perhaps force the OS to use a device it thinks has no driver.

I really suggest trying the Alternative Cures I provided.  A lot of Full Screen to Window mode to Full Screen to Window Mode to Full Screen again.

My development website: BYTE Me Dev

[i7 4970K @ 4.7GHz]
      [G.Skill 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz]
      [EVGA Geforce GTX 780 TI SuperClock SLI]
      [Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark S]
      [Crucial MX100 256GB]
      [4x 1TB Seagate 7200.13 RAID-0]
      [2x 1.5TB Seagate 5400 JBOD]
      Jump to:
    • Back to Mobile