PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/06/30 07:07:01 (permalink)
seth89
I buy 1 Xbox/ps4 every 9 years.
I buy a video card(s) every 2 years....

I dont think its dead or on its way out. How many video cards are sold each year Vs. Xbox/Ps/Nintendo.

That's because consoles don't need to be upgraded other than maybe an SSD. I can't help but wonder how much money I would have in my bank account if I wasn't constantly upgrading to do what, play a game?
KLEYBA
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 936
  • Ribbons : 12
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/06/30 10:24:51 (permalink)
we pc gamers are not dying; we are just being taken advantage of....  SEE EVOLVE!  check out their Season Pass for the Season Pass!  we are being robbed.  however, we pc gamers are alive and thriving....just being buried under dlc for dlc.

remember the famous words of Turtle Rock Studios' founding father:  "nothing pisses me off more than useless dlc *#%!"   and then he releases Evolve with $100 worth of day one useless dlc!  why are pc gamers okay with devs releasing incomplete games?  or games that they KNOW are clearly not ready?  like the new Batman?  it's not because we pc gamers are a dying breed....nope, it's because we let devs get away with it by buying their products!
notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/06/30 10:49:27 (permalink)
I agree KLEYBA, this is all too common now it seems. Been a PC gamer for years, and don't see it changing. Boycotts only work with mass cooperation , unfortunately that will never happen.   
fubarhouse
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/06/30 14:17:29 (permalink)
KLEYBA
we pc gamers are not dying; we are just being taken advantage of....  SEE EVOLVE!  check out their Season Pass for the Season Pass!  we are being robbed.  however, we pc gamers are alive and thriving....just being buried under dlc for dlc.

remember the famous words of Turtle Rock Studios' founding father:  "nothing pisses me off more than useless dlc *#%!"   and then he releases Evolve with $100 worth of day one useless dlc!  why are pc gamers okay with devs releasing incomplete games?  or games that they KNOW are clearly not ready?  like the new Batman?  it's not because we pc gamers are a dying breed....nope, it's because we let devs get away with it by buying their products!

notfordman
I agree KLEYBA, this is all too common now it seems. Been a PC gamer for years, and don't see it changing. Boycotts only work with mass cooperation , unfortunately that will never happen.   

Also agreed. I have a policy: never buy a game if it's in early access. Releasing something to the public (for non developer people) is just plain bad practice - most people are done with a title before the retail release is available. Alpha, Beta, Release Candidate... These release cycles exist for very good reasons.

It's a shame that people are buying into early access...
seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/06/30 16:49:23 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
seth89
I buy 1 Xbox/ps4 every 9 years.
I buy a video card(s) every 2 years....

I dont think its dead or on its way out. How many video cards are sold each year Vs. Xbox/Ps/Nintendo.

That's because consoles don't need to be upgraded other than maybe an SSD. I can't help but wonder how much money I would have in my bank account if I wasn't constantly upgrading to do what, play a game?

Consoles can't be upgraded, it's not that they don't have to be upgraded. Look at BF4 on the xbox360 and XB1, then look at it on the PC.
I had Gears of war on the Xbox and the PC, man what a difference (same for Halo2).

Think about how in 5-9 years from now our XboxOnes and PlayStations will still be playing games at or below 1080p...
My PC I built in 2013 was able to play 4k before most people even understood what 4k was. Think about how hard the current systems struggle to run AAA titles now, what will they be cutting from games in 1-2 years from now (even with DX12 coming to XB1 and Im sure Sony is working on a new API as well).

Xbox/PS are awesome too but they are not cutting edge. They are cheap and easy to use. If a user cant see the advantages of a PC then its not for them (and thats ok, I believe in buying what ever fits the bill). 

The money you are constantly spending is not to just play a game, its to build a PC, too have a hobby. I love building computers, I love taking cases apart and waiting on fittings and wires to come in the mail because I thought of a better way to put a system together. I have a closet full of old CPUs, GPUs, PSUs, SSDs, HDDs, and memory that I don't regret buying because it was all time well spent.

Julian_Moore_III
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1701
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/06/30 17:29:29 (permalink)
I've only been a pc enthusiast for the past 5 years.  Previous purchases were prebuilt systems with slight upgrading.  Then I found a listing on craigslist for a pc pretty much out of the box (all components no case).  Shortly after I purchased a new board and registered it on evga, EVGA has offered help, a nice community and a lot of good people.  I even have a number of them on my steam friends. 

To tell the truth pc gaming could never be dead or dying, they could stop making games for it, sure.  But name a console with a back catalog as vast as the pc (also given emulators exist why not play those consoles too).  They could stop tomorrow and you still wouldn't run out of things to play or do.
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/02 07:52:33 (permalink)
I think the only ones actively hoping/trying to kill the PC are some AAA developers pushing out crappy/broken ports for PC in hopes that PC gamers will get fed up and move to console. I think its because console gamers are more likely to shell out full price for a game + DLC/Season passes.

UnReal-4-Life
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 353
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/03 09:56:41 (permalink)
I think its the lazy Developers and Lack of quality toward developing a game. Nothing is from scratch its all hacks and premade tools or code tweaking of one game to make another. The fact that you can sell a unfinished game called early access or Beta and get paid before its done leave the option of why even finish it  and lets drag it on where making so much this way. It truly should be banned forever. When everything is on the line and it is all or nothing then you will get a better game. Chances and hard work is becoming a rare part of life. The easy life has made the cut and paste game generation. I remember when alphas /betas where free and you had to fill out and application to get a copy. Now you just pay for it. Oh and yes the players are to blame too but not all of the just like not all the devs are lazy. The worst evil is the cheaters hacks and player who refuse to use there brain. They all what to win or beat the game  with out any effort. The easy way. I say what ever who cares Im getting where I don't care anymore nobody does anything about it so . I say .............................. 

FattysGoneWild
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2660
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/03 10:45:23 (permalink)
PC don't make money like consoles. Its simple 101 really. The Witcher 3. Prime example. Top tier studio and franchise on pc. It never would have happened with out the consoles though. That is a fact straight from the horses mouth. Consoles is where the money is at. They had a vision for pc and wanted to go all out doing it. In the end. It simply cost way to much and they knew the sales would be no where near console sales. They also needed more funding. Hence the down grade and consoles saving the day. Also. Since they remain DRM free and have a big stance on it. They knew it would still be pirated by so many. Just another reason why they needed a guaranteed big return on wait for it....... CONSOLES

I personally could careless about the pissing war between pc and console. Its so childish and a waste of time. I play on both and have been able to experience some amazing games that 1 or the other does not offer. People act like its a sin to game on both platforms.
post edited by FattysGoneWild - 2015/07/03 10:48:42

HP Omen 880-160se custom ordered
MOBO: HP Tampa2
CPU: Intel i7 8700k @4.8GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
GPU: PNY XLR8 RTX 3080
PSU: Delta 750w 80 Plus Platinum 
NVMe M.2 SSD: Samsung 512GB MZVLW512HMJP
SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
Sound: Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 @144Hz G-Sync calibrated with ColorMunki Display
Keyboard: HP Omen 1100
Mouse: HP Omen 600

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/03 16:24:24 (permalink)
FattysGoneWild
PC don't make money like consoles. Its simple 101 really. The Witcher 3. Prime example. Top tier studio and franchise on pc. It never would have happened with out the consoles though. That is a fact straight from the horses mouth. Consoles is where the money is at. They had a vision for pc and wanted to go all out doing it. In the end. It simply cost way to much and they knew the sales would be no where near console sales. They also needed more funding. Hence the down grade and consoles saving the day. Also. Since they remain DRM free and have a big stance on it. They knew it would still be pirated by so many. Just another reason why they needed a guaranteed big return on wait for it....... CONSOLES

I personally could careless about the pissing war between pc and console. Its so childish and a waste of time. I play on both and have been able to experience some amazing games that 1 or the other does not offer. People act like its a sin to game on both platforms.

Look at XBOX Live vs Steam and you'll soon see that you're regurgitating bad information on sales numbers, amount of titles available and raw user count numbers. there are more people using Steam than XBOX Live and there are more titles available for the PC than on consoles.
FattysGoneWild
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2660
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/03 22:22:24 (permalink)
Not fair. That is only one console. You have PS4 and Pii U as well. Eh Pii U don't even count actually. Numbers are skewed either way with people online between pc and console. Are they actually playing? Or just doing what ever in the background with it? Know what I mean? Digital sales. Eh. No one will ever know. I do know Steam absolutely makes a killing when they do those crazy sales. I have since gone all digital as well on console. What gets me with both on digital sales with new titles. No savings at all passed down to users. Common. Zero packaging, physical media and shipping. That should easily shave off $5 bucks or something.
post edited by FattysGoneWild - 2015/07/03 22:25:03

HP Omen 880-160se custom ordered
MOBO: HP Tampa2
CPU: Intel i7 8700k @4.8GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
GPU: PNY XLR8 RTX 3080
PSU: Delta 750w 80 Plus Platinum 
NVMe M.2 SSD: Samsung 512GB MZVLW512HMJP
SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 EVO
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001
Sound: Logitech Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 @144Hz G-Sync calibrated with ColorMunki Display
Keyboard: HP Omen 1100
Mouse: HP Omen 600

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/04 00:25:08 (permalink)
FattysGoneWild
Not fair. That is only one console. You have PS4 and Pii U as well. Eh Pii U don't even count actually. Numbers are skewed either way with people online between pc and console. Are they actually playing? Or just doing what ever in the background with it? Know what I mean? Digital sales. Eh. No one will ever know. I do know Steam absolutely makes a killing when they do those crazy sales. I have since gone all digital as well on console. What gets me with both on digital sales with new titles. No savings at all passed down to users. Common. Zero packaging, physical media and shipping. That should easily shave off $5 bucks or something.

There is no such thing as a singular "console" market. They're just as divided as Mac vs Linux vs Windows. Lumping consoles into one huge basket is playing creative accounting with numbers. PC is really stronger than both individual console markets PlayStations and XBOX on their own. There is no magical instance where there is a homogenous console usercount where all consoles count as single pool of people. It only happens when people play with creative statistics.
OV3RCLK4
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4130
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/06 12:54:39 (permalink)
PC we get early access games that will eventually go to consoles. cough cough h1z1, ark survival, and many many more. Dying breed? What a joke!

MSI Unify X
i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
2x16GB GSkill DDR5 6400mhz
EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Seasonic 850w Titanium Power Supply
Radiator: MO-RA3
Water Blocks: EK Supreme HF Full Copper and EK Quantum Vector FTW3
Pump/Res: XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir w/ MCP-655 Pump
willem445
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4461
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/10 11:32:07 (permalink)
I dont really think that PC gaming is dying, I think its more just a decline in quality games overall. With preorders, pay to win, and horrible ports the quality of games has gone downhill. Ive played a few really fun f2p games but they eventually just get ridiculous with all the needing to pay to even enjoy the game at all. With AAA games it seems most of the money goes into marketing for preorders and sales than what actually goes into the game. 

BizSAR
EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 1712
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/10 17:46:04 (permalink)
In short: heck NO! PC gaming isn't going anywhere. Sales have been up for games. Sales of PCs themselves are going down, but you'll find most articles that mention this aren't including the people building their own systems. 

BizSAR
EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
joeymir
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/11 04:18:46 (permalink)
I supposed the real question at this point is, when will game companies stop rushing out broken games lol. I do agree though, that Steam & Origin really do make for keeping the vast number of people coming back & bringing new ones into the circle of greatness.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102251
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/11 04:34:44 (permalink)
I am hoping that DX12 coding will change the PC environment once gaming manufacturers start coding for it.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

KLEYBA
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 936
  • Ribbons : 12
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/12 07:08:20 (permalink)
I can't remember were I read it:  directx 12 will allow cross platform gaming?  if this is true, then PC gaming will grow!  however, it will still be unfair for those going up against a mouse and keyboard....right?
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/12 14:59:52 (permalink)
KLEYBA
I can't remember were I read it:  directx 12 will allow cross platform gaming?  if this is true, then PC gaming will grow!  however, it will still be unfair for those going up against a mouse and keyboard....right?

Yes, in first person shooters console players would get destroyed. 
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: PC Gaming, Is It A Dying Breed? 2015/07/13 13:14:15 (permalink)
chrisdglong
KLEYBA

Yes, in first person shooters console players would get destroyed. 

Didn't one of the COD's years back support that?  I know there was one of the "military" shooters that did for a while, console got annihilated, largely due to the control limitations of the console controllers.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile