EVGA

First Post - About to pull the trigger on an EVGA based rig.

Author
JayCPC
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/06/29 14:35:36 (permalink)
Hello EVGA board - have heard a lot of good things about the EVGA community and the customer service from EVGA in general.

I am just about to buy my components after a few weeks nailing down exactly what I want.  Hundreds of youtube videos and thousands of forum posts later I landed on some key components from EVGA, including the X99 Classified motherboard (having decided on it over the Rampage V Extreme).

I am still a little worried though about the newness of the board and some of the issues I am reading about - particularly the RAM issues.  To be fair nearly every motherboard out there has some flak being thrown its way in some corner of the web.

Anyway I have one key question... should I wait a little while as I have reads some rumours here about an upgraded version on the way very soon...

My shopping list - which is being sorted this week as it stands.  (This will be my second build but first 'real' one.. I was just throwing components together on my first build with little research).: (This rig wil take care of every day stuff but the main reason behind the build is for Star Citizen gameplay)

Lenovo 280m Pro 4k monitor (already own)
X99 Classified
2 Superclocked EVGA 980GTX's (air cooled for now)
1600W EVGA Titanium PSU (yes I know this is WAY too much but I intend to expand GPU's and drives quite significantly in the future)
5930 CPU (40 lanes)
Corsair 780T case (white)
32Gb Dominator 2666Mhz DDR4 ( I checked and these seem to be listed as supported but unsure if I scale to 64Gb, which I will soon do)
Corsair Hydro 110i GT cooler for CPU
7 case fans in total (4 intakes and 3 exhausts)
Windows 8.1 Pro (with imminent upgrade to Windows 10 as I already have it working extremely well at build 10130 and have got quite used to it - and like it a lot)
2 500Gb Samsung 850EVO

Theme is White and Black with slight dashes of red (lol, not that it matters, its just the visual look is important to me - ha!)

2 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: First Post - About to pull the trigger on an EVGA based rig. 2015/06/29 14:45:52 (permalink)
    Your list looks pretty good other than PSU.  

I will say why you shouldn't go that high is because for one, your standard house outlet is only rated around 1300w (in the states) as you'll need to change it, the wiring and the breaker to handle anything more.  Its for safety purposes as you don't want to push that much out of the wire's spec as it can cause a fire as I've heard from other experts in the field.  

Another reason is, 2-way SLI is the best scaling out there and 4-way is the worst.  If you went 2-3, you still won't need that much anyways.  A 1200w or 1300w PSU is perfect for a 2-3way SLI setup with more than enough room, including if you ever went full custom water cooling as I got the hint in your GPU comments about being air cooled for the time being.  

You could take the saved money from the PSU and add it for a M.2 PCI-E SSD drive.  It is blazing fast and is equivalent to 2-3 SATA SSDs in RAID0.  You won't be disappointed.

Other than that, your list looks good.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    JayCPC
    • Total Posts : 5
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: First Post - About to pull the trigger on an EVGA based rig. 2015/06/29 15:03:33 (permalink)
    That's pretty good advice on the PSU - thank you.  I am in the UK.  I think I can draw a maximum of 3000W from one socket and about 7200W from a circuit.  Do need to check further though (might be wrong and it would be rather tiresome if I blew myself up.)

I was interested in the M.2 SSD but (to my slight embarrassment!) I couldn't find one that was black and white.  I just don't want one that is green plonked in the middle of the board as I look through the case window.  If I could find one that fit with the board then I would go for it.

On my question ref. RAM - I do intend to scale to 64Gb pretty soon as I do a lot of statistical computation using R and the memory is always the bottleneck.  I couldn't see the 64Gb Dominator RAM as listed under tested but have for now assumed it will be ok when I add 4 more 8Gb sticks to slots 2,4,6,8 (though might be the wring assumption).  Could someone shout if they have 64Gb of Dominator RAM running on the X99 Classified?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile