EVGA

Precision 5.3.3 has no effect on GPU or memory clock

Author
rgames
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/29 23:36:52 (permalink)
I just got an EVGA GTX 970 and installed the Precision utility (5.3.3) to overclock it but the utility appears to have no effect on the card.  I can change the sliders to any value but when I click "Apply" and run a benchmark (I'm using Heaven) the max GPU clock is always 1341 MHz.

I've tried changing the power target, GPU temp target, linked, unlinked and a variety of offsets.  Regardless of what I choose the GPU clock always goes to 1341 when I run the Heaven benchmark.

How do I make the utility change the clock speeds?

Thanks,

rgames

6 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Precision 5.3.3 has no effect on GPU or memory clock 2015/05/30 08:02:21 (permalink)
    I don't have a 970 (two 780 Ti's), but I can still get it to work even though Precision X is a steaming pile of code at the moment.

1) What drivers are you using? I believe older sets actually disabled overclocking. (or was that just for laptops?)

2) You say you have "linked, Unlinked" as an option which I believe should only be there if you have multiple cards. Since it appears you are running SLI, is SLI enabled? You may not have it enabled and the computer is using the other card as primary, and the other cards frequencies may actually be the one being changed. You can check by selecting the second GPU.

3) If you didn't install fresh drivers when you popped in your second 970 (or even if you just have one), you WILL want to do so. Uninstall precision x, and use DDU to uninstall the nvidia drivers in safe mode. Download and install the latest drivers. Try precision x again after a reboot, and if it still doesn't work try using MSI afterburner (uninstall precision x first).
    rgames
    Re: Precision 5.3.3 has no effect on GPU or memory clock 2015/05/30 08:50:01 (permalink)
    Hi arestavo - thanks for the reply!  I am using driver version 352.86.  I believe that is the latest because I downloaded it yesterday.

I'm not using SLI - it's just a single card.  When I say "Linked" I'm talking about the link between the power and temp sliders - you can run them linked or unlinked.

I'll try the MSI tool.

Thanks,

rgames
    rgames
    Re: Precision 5.3.3 has no effect on GPU or memory clock 2015/05/30 09:01:03 (permalink)
    Update - tried the MSI tool and it behaves in exactly the same manner - the sliders have no effect on anything.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Precision 5.3.3 has no effect on GPU or memory clock 2015/05/30 13:28:37 (permalink)
    That does not sound right at all. Someone else here with a 970 may chime in, but in the mean time you could give EVGA's tech support a call and ask them.

Before that, you could try using DDU to completely uninstall the drivers in safe mode and try again. Be sure to remove precision x and afterburner first.

EDIT: Using a program like DDU (freeware) to remove drivers is a good thing when you are having issues. Sometimes older versions leave crud behind that messes things up. Here is a download link on Guru3d: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 
    post edited by arestavo - 2015/05/30 13:36:49
    rgames
    Re: Precision 5.3.3 has no effect on GPU or memory clock 2015/05/30 14:18:07 (permalink)
    I figured out that the controls work if I enable KBoost.  With KBoost on, I can move the sliders and click "Apply" and things appear to change.  Of course, the card is sitting there running at full tilt the whole time, so it's not really a solution...!

I was, however, able to measure the effect of overclocking on the benchmark - about 5 fps.  So I think I'm just going to forget about overclocking - not sure it's worth the effort.

Thanks for the info - maybe I'll try DDU at some point but for now I think I'll just let it run on stock settings.

Cheers,

rgames
    AnderssT
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re: Precision 5.3.3 has no effect on GPU or memory clock 2015/06/01 11:25:32 (permalink)
    I think I'm having the same or at least similar problem when testing memory overclock, just setting a value and hitting apply does nothing whatsoever. What I ahve to do for each change is apply it, save it as a profile, quiet Heaven and Precision X, restart precision (so it loads the last saved profile) and then start and run Heaven and it will use the new speed.
    It's  a bloody annoying procedure to go through for each small incremental change you make.

Intel i5 6600K@4.8Ghz cooled by EK Supremacy-EVO 
     2*8GB G-Skill TridentZ 3600Mhz CAS16 DDR 4
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB boot
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ (3975)
    Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero (Z170) 
    Corsair Obsidian 750D case
    Corsair AX760i PSU
    Asus PB278Q 27" @ 2560x1440
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile