Extended Dark Build

Author
EVGATech_MattM
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2245
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2015/05/25 15:52:25 (permalink)
I have been posting in a few water cooled threads recently and I have been requested to provide a few pictures of my system. It is still a work in progress and I am still refining the cabling and a little of the loops. I took it to Beachcon recently and it was a little too heavy for the stock wheels so they disintegrated and I have not had the time to replace them yet so this is why it is leaning a little. The case itself is a Mountain Mods Extended Ascension. With all of the stuff I put in it I probably would have been better off requesting a custom case as it turns out that some of the radiators on the top slightly go over the ones on the back so you can't mount a fan on that spot. If the front bays were slightly lower I could also more easily put fans on the radiators. As it is now it is just in a push configuration on the top with several places with no fans. The difference in in and out for the fans does keep air flowing over the fan-less spots however. The pictures are not the greatest however I am hoping to get some more professional pictures done when I get everything complete. I know I have some scratches on the fittings however it was not my main concern as long as they work.

Front has two Lamptron FC5 v3 Fan Controllers, Panasonic UJ-875 - DVD±RW, Mat****a UJ-265 6X Blu-ray Burner,  Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25in Reservoir Rev.2.0, and an Icy Dock FlexCage MB973SP-2B and MB975SP-B SATA Backplanes, Lamptron Black Polycarbonate Vandal Resistant Illuminated Red/Black and Blue/Black Switches, and two Hardware Labs SR-1 360 radiators in push/pull configuration with Blacknoise Technologies Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 fans for the GPU loop. All of the fans in the system for the radiators are Noiseblockers and all of the radiators are SR-1. They are a little light for air flow however the SR-1s are for low air flow and they are dead quite. I probably would have gone with slightly higher RPM ones if I was to do this again. There is a lot of rubber on the fans as well which is nice for vibration however it does weaken the fan frame a little so overtightened the screws slightly can cause the blades to hit the sides or stop all together. As they are so quiet it is easy to miss one not spinning if you don't check after moving it around.

The back I have another Hardware Labs SR-1 360 and a Hardware Labs SR-1 120 in push/pull for the CPU loop. EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 for the power supply. the radiator is just slightly too far over from the side of the case so it takes up just enough room with the center row radiator to prevent me from putting a fain on it. It also just lines up with the side radiator so no fan there either.

The top has two Hardware Labs SR-1 480 and Hardware Labs SR-1 360 a Bitspower CaseTop Water-Fill set for the CPU and GPU loops. I put Bitspower AIR-Exhaust fittings on them so I could release any air pressure when it got hot. Pressing it after filling it triggered some air from the other parts of the system to come out when hot. Custom top from Mountain Mods as I did not want to put an insert into one of the fan bays and at this point my reservoir will always be where it is now.

A lot going on here but the overall specs is a Intel i7-4930K CPU with a Swiftech Apogee HD Limited Edition waterblock, 4x GTX 480s connected with 3x  Bitspower D-Plugs, EVGA Pro 4-way SLI Bridge. I have a Monsoon Silver Bullet Antimicrobial Plug at the bottom next to the valve for the GPU loop in the T-Block as well as one next to the filter for the CPU loop. I also have water blocks on the motherboard northbridge and VRegs from nateman_doo. I used 90° fittings with various SLI Links to get the right spacing and height to get them all to connect together. I tried just two 90° connections as well as Bitspower snake fittings but they all seemed to be just slightly off to get them to go together. The 120 and 360 Radiator are linked together over the MB so when draining it caused a vacuum in the loop. I put a T-Block at the top part with another Air-Exhaust fitting so when draining the CPU loop I just had to press the button and break the vacuum. I had to put a quick disconnect for the drain on each side as well due to the high point.

The main points I have here is Innovatek Particulate filters for the GPU and CPU loops as well as the two extra Swiftech MCP-655-B pumps mounted to the front and back radiators pick up any lost flow from the first radiators. The GPUs especially needed this due to the 4-way SLI and I have them linked in serial and the radiators. The temperature difference between the top and bottom is really just a few degrees. Without the extra pump the flow did drop off a lot however most people don't run 4-way water loops and the number of the radiators I have. When testing at the start of the build with all of the cards and just the 120 radiator I had a lot more flow. I also have the two Bitspower Flow Meters that attach to the fan controller. If the flow stops for any reason the alarm goes off. At the bottom front I have a quick disconnect on a T-Block with rotaries to let it spin and a 90° fitting to let it swing out of the way. The same setup for the lower back radiator for the CPU loop drain.

Here is a closeup of the waterblock for it connecting to the other two blocks and the radiator.

Closeup of the front GPU radiators with the SLI Link connecting them together and linking it to the second pump. The fitting on the T-Block is the quick disconnect.

Showing the quick disconnect out to allow it to be connected to for draining the loop. You have to make sure that the fittings are screwed on really tight or when swinging the quick disconnect out you can unscrew it from the adjacent fittings as the rotaries have a bit if resistance with them when being turned.  When tightening it just remember that you with a tool are probably stronger than the fitting threads so don't do it way too much everything will be stripped. The fitting with the wire coming off of it is a temperature sensor.

This is the underside of the second pump in the CPU loop at the back of the case showing how I linked it to the top of the pump block. I used a Bitspower Snake fitting with a male to male fittings to attach it to the radiator.

Showing the lower CPU loop drain quick disconnect turned out to be connected to drain the loop.

Below is a lit of components in the system. Some of the more minor items such as power adapters and extensions i have left off.

1. Case  Mountain Mods Extended Ascension
  2. Motherboard EVGA X79 Dark
  3. CPU Intel i7-4930K
  4. RAM EVGA 16G-D3-2400-MR
  5. Video Card EVGA GTX 480
  6. Power Supply  EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2: 220-T2-1600-X1
  7. Accessory  Icy Dock FlexCage MB973SP-2B
  8. Accessory  Icy Dock FlexCage MB975SP-B
  9. Accessory  Icy Dock EZConvert Pro MB982SP-1S
  10. Solid State Drive  Intel 530 Series, 240GB SSDSC2BW240A4K5
  11. CD/DVD  Mat****a BD-MLT_UJ265
  12. CD/DVD  Panasonic UJ-875 - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive
  13. Cooling  EVGA GTX 480 Backplate M020-00-000163
  14. Accessory  EVGA Pro SLI Bridge 100-4W-0041-LR
  15. Accessory  EVGA EVGauge E00B-00-000002
  16. Accessory  EVGA EVBot Tuning Controller 100-EV-EB01-BR
  17. Cooling  Lamptron FC5 v3 Fan Controller
  18. Cooling  Bitspower Flow Indicator BP-FI-CLBKMBK
  19. Cooling  XSPC 10K Temperature Sensor
  20. Cooling  Phobya Temperature Sensor In / Outer Thread G1/4
  21. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4 Thread Flow Sensor - Matte Black BP-FS-CLBKMBK
  22. Fan  Blacknoise Technologies Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1
  23. Cooling  Mountain Mods 120MM Black Aluminum Fan Filter
  24. Cooling  Mountain Mods 120MM Chrome Grill - Black
  25. Heatsink  Swiftech Apogee HD Limited Edition
  26. Heatsink  EVGA GTX 480 Waterblock M202-00-000159
  27. Heatsink  nateman_doo X79 Dark Chipset Waterblock
  28. Heatsink  nateman_doo X79 Dark VReg Waterblock
  29. Cooling  Hardware Labs SR-1 120
  30. Cooling  Hardware Labs SR-1 360
  31. Cooling  Hardware Labs SR-1 480
  32. Cooling  Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25in Reservoir Rev.2.0
  33. Cooling  Koolance Dual Ultra Bright LED Cable, 4-pin, Blue
  34. Cooling  Aqua Computer Pump adapter for D5 pumps, compatible with aqualis base, G1/4 41094
  35. Cooling  Swiftech Pump MCP655-B
  36. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black CaseTop Water-Fill SET BP-MBWP-C04
  37. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black AIR-Exhaust Fitting BP-MBETAIR
  38. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Stop Fitting BP-MBWP-C06
  39. Cooling  Bitspower Matt Black Sealing Plug For ID 1/2" Tube BP-MBWP-C31
  40. Cooling  XSPC XSPC 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD HighFlex Hose UV (Clear)
  41. Cooling  EVGA 1/2" Barb Compression Fittings M024-00-000032
  42. Cooling  Bitspower Matt Black Five Rotary Snake-Style Dual IG1/4" Extender BP-MBSR5D
  43. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Dual Rotary 90-Degree IG1/4" Extender BP-MB90R2
  44. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Rotary 90-Degree IG1/4" Extender BP-MB90R
  45. Cooling  Bitspower Bitspower Matt Black 90-Degree With Dual Inner G1/4" Extender BP-MB90DIG14
  46. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Rotary 60-Degree IG1/4" Extender BP-MB60R
  47. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Rotary 45-Degree IG1/4" Extender BP-MB45R
  48. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Rotary 30-Degree IG1/4" Extender BP-MB30R
  49. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Dual Rotary Angle IG1/4" Extender BP-MB90R2LD
  50. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black IG1/4" Extender-50MM BP-MBWP-C65
  51. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black IG1/4" Extender-15MM BP-MBWP-C60
  52. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Rotary G1/4" Extender BP-MBRG
  53. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Mini Dual G1/4" Extender BP-MBWP-C42
  54. Cooling  Bitspower Bitspower Matt Black Quick-Disconnected Male With Inner G1/4” BP-MBQDMIG14
  55. Cooling  Bitspower Bitspower Matt Black Quick-Disconnected Female With Inner G1/4” BP-MBQDFIG14
  56. Cooling  Bitspower Matt Black Quick-Disconnected Male With G1/4” BP-MBQDMG14
  57. Cooling  Bitspower Matt Black Mini Valve With Black Handle BP-MVV-MBKBK
  58. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black D-Plug Set – 31.5MM BP-MBWP-C44
  59. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black MINI D-Plug Set BP-MBWP-C28
  60. Cooling  Bitspower Matt Black Q Plus-Block BP-MBFMB
  61. Cooling  Bitspower Matt Black T-Block BP-MBTMB
  62. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Muti-Transfer Adapter BP-MBWP-C03
  63. Cooling  Bitspower G1/4" Matt Black Dual G1/4" Fitting BP-MBWP-C08
  64. Cooling  Swiftech G¼ Male-Male Lok-Seal™ SLI & CrossFireX connector fitting adjustable from 11 to 18mm G1/4-MMEXT-SHORT-BK
  65. Cooling  Swiftech G¼ Male-Male Lok-Seal™ SLI & CrossFireX connector fitting adjustable from 20 to 33mm G1/4-MMEXT-MEDIUM-BK
  66. Cooling  Swiftech G¼ Male-Male SLI & CrossFireX connector fitting adjustable from 41 to 65mm G1/4-MMEXT-LONG-BK
  67. Cooling  Innovatek Particulate filter (without cartridge) 501531
  68. Cooling  Innovatek Filter cartridge Type: 150 (brown) 501532
  69. Cooling  Monsoon  Silver Bullet Antimicrobial G1/4 Plug - Black Anodized
  70. Cooling  Bitspower Matt Black G1/4" Fitting Spacer - Mini BP-MBWP-C43
  71. Accessory  Lamptron Black Polycarbonate Vandal Resistant Illuminated Red/Black
  72. Accessory  Lamptron Black Polycarbonate Vandal Resistant Illuminated Blue/Black

post edited by EVGATech_MattM - 2015/05/25 20:29:53

8 Replies Related Threads

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/25 19:36:10 (permalink)
    I think ya missed a spot Matt!

EVGATech_MattM
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/25 20:32:06 (permalink)
    I copied and pasted from my Mods Rigs page from my personal account for the list. It does help me keep track of part numbers if I am looking for another fitting.
    MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/28 07:08:33 (permalink)
    So much going on
    EVGATech_MattM
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/28 09:12:51 (permalink)
    It looks more complex than it actually is due to all of the fittings in tight spaces. For the flow indicators I ordered and I then found the ones that report the flow via the fan connection shortly afterwards so I just decided to put them all in and have the reporting of the flow. Even when there was more tubing it was hard to see the flow sometimes if I got out the air bubbles and the tubing turned a bit white.

Most of the other stuff like the valves and quick disconnects really came out of the want to make it easier to drain the loop then make it easier to remove the top if I needed to without having to unhook hoses. The valves were left over from the first drain setup I had so I decided to recycle them when I put the filters in. I should have cleaned the radiators before putting them in but I did not and when I was changing and re-doing the loop I had a fitting that looked polished from the particulates in a turn. That prompted me to get the filters and I still am having to clean them from time to time. I wanted to be able to clean them without draining the loop so I put the valves on either side.

I put the silver bullets in for making sure the loop was clean as well and I wanted to be able to change them without draining as well so I put them where there was already a quick disconnect and/or valves to minimize putting extra valves in.

For some things they were so close together or I had to use a combination of fittings that it was actually cheaper to use one specialized fitting or SLI link then putting two compressing fittings and a piece of tubing or several angle and rotaries fittings.

In short, I was building with ease of maintenance and efficiency of fittings in mind. It just sort of grew a bit big. I did splurge with some extensions in a few areas after a while however.
    post edited by EVGATech_MattM - 2015/05/28 09:15:28
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102231
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/28 10:39:50 (permalink)
    Now that mod is....BIG!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

EVGATech_MattM
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/29 01:15:46 (permalink)
    Before I put the top radiators on I was planning on keeping the extra power supply cables and some of the loop maintenance things behind the motherboard as it was pretty empty but once I moved the power supply to the lower position to make room for the radiators and added the extra pumps I started running out of room even with this case. At one point I was thinking of adding a pedestal to move some of the radiators to and possibly extra pumps and the fan controllers to make room in the main case and strait air flow flow for the radiators without worrying about one loop's exhaust heating up the air cooling the other loop. The downside to that is it would no-longer fit under my desk and not fit in my wife's hatchback to take to a LAN party.
    zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5183
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/29 03:42:53 (permalink)
    And would have required a small crane or forklift to get in and out of the car lol. Very nice setup. Never had a MM case, but I did use their motherboard tray when I modded my 700D to fit my SR2. Very nice piece.

EVGATech_MattM
    EVGA Tech Support
    Re: Extended Dark Build 2015/05/29 03:49:59 (permalink)
    Thanks, The up side of their cases is really modular so I can just change one thing at a time on the case. The down side is there is no dedicated cable routing options however even with the windows on the side panels (I have the large windows) there is a large space around the windows you can hide some of the cables. At one point I was thinking of getting desk cable routing channels and using them in the case but I never got them as there is not a lot of space going up the sides of the case and the number of cables for the fans take a lot of space before the cable Y.

If I ever needed to get a different motherboard tray I would probably get the SR-2 one just to make it easier to hide the cables from the motherboard side.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile