Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/05/21 06:03:01 (permalink)
http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/37823-analysts-claim-amd-will-be-bankrupt-by-2020

Report says AMD doesn't really have a stronghold in a particular market segment

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

16 Replies Related Threads

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/21 06:16:49 (permalink)
    I don't see them going bankrupt but I do see them out of the PC game by then
    They just don't seem to care much about trying to compete with Nvidia or Intel in that market
    Stephenk291
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1023
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/21 10:26:26 (permalink)
    AMD better hope Samsung buys them up. I think that would be a great buy on Samsungs part. if AMD had the infusion of cash they could certainly compete again.

MrImSoGood
    They just don't seem to care much about trying to compete with Nvidia or Intel in that market

It's not that they don't care.. its that they can't they don't have the resources capable of doing so.  ''PC gaming'' isn't even the bread and butter its overall computing in general. Intel has the server market on lock down as well. Just go to stores or even online and you'll find most AMD laptops are the low end computers/laptops where everything else in the middle/high end range is all intel based. AMD has very little market share left.  As far as servers go,  practically everything you can buy is all xeon based. Yes there are some AMD Opteron offerings around but I'd never order them for my server stack.
    post edited by Stephenk291 - 2015/05/21 10:30:41

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/22 04:08:58 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    Honestly, power to them since their goal over the years has been to reduce dependency on purely x86 retail/OEM sales.  

But that isn't a reason for others to suggest AMD is dying out since it isn't like only x86 consumer matters.  ARM proves that wrong, yet AMD isn't really going after ARM as much as they show us.

MrImSoGood
    Companies don't rule the world; the people speak with their wallets, and right now many have settled on not expecting big improvements per cycle and paying dearly for it-- this is in nVidia's and Intel's favor in the business sense.  Only competition has in the past made both companies invest in huge changes; but it seems most people don't care too much about deFacto-monopolies.  Either they are rich or ignorant; these aren't AMD's target customers, so they luck out.

Add that the only reason most [enthusiasts] want AMD to do better is to purchase a future 'better' nVidia or Intel counterattack is kind of sad.  All businesses involved probably know this already, so what incentive does AMD have to introduce better products if no one is going to buy them?  Without return on investment, it would make sense to reduce dependency of x86 retail/OEM in the first place.
    post edited by lehpron - 2015/05/22 04:11:28

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/22 07:17:15 (permalink)
    lehpron
    MrImSoGood
    Honestly, power to them since their goal over the years has been to reduce dependency on purely x86 retail/OEM sales.  

But that isn't a reason for others to suggest AMD is dying out since it isn't like only x86 consumer matters.  ARM proves that wrong, yet AMD isn't really going after ARM as much as they show us.

MrImSoGood
    Companies don't rule the world; the people speak with their wallets, and right now many have settled on not expecting big improvements per cycle and paying dearly for it-- this is in nVidia's and Intel's favor in the business sense.  Only competition has in the past made both companies invest in huge changes; but it seems most people don't care too much about deFacto-monopolies.  Either they are rich or ignorant; these aren't AMD's target customers, so they luck out.

Add that the only reason most [enthusiasts] want AMD to do better is to purchase a future 'better' nVidia or Intel counterattack is kind of sad.  All businesses involved probably know this already, so what incentive does AMD have to introduce better products if no one is going to buy them?  Without return on investment, it would make sense to reduce dependency of x86 retail/OEM in the first place.

When you can't make something people want...that performs over the rival what good is it to make a product? Be competitive or, just see your way out. AMD lost their ability to take the fight to Intel when Intel released the Core 2 Duo.

only thing driving AMD is the Hype and promises of better hardware only for them to release a unfinished product that runs Hot and uses more power. AMD's answer was to throw more cores and make it look like there CPU's were better because of more cores offered however Intel still Bests them with less cores, lower heat, lower power consumption while doing the same with less cores Better.

AMD has no Enthusiast class processors.
    AMD has no real Server Class processors.
    AMD has no true overclocking processors where you don't have to disable "x" cores to reach says 5GHz.

They offor a low class processor that's half done for $100. There is not a single CPU AMD makes that doesn't get whooped by Intel using less cores and less core clocks. No more Athlon X64 or the Athlon savior cpu's as they don't even care enough to compete.

Sure Intel is better but AMD isn't even trying to be competitive and all those who say AMD is better because there cheaper are really only hurting themselves for settling for a product that's half good while giving money to a company that cannot cut its self out of a cardboard box with a razor blade because they forgot how to use it and make a product people want to buy versus making crappy "As Seen on TV" items that never can do the job as intended.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/22 19:09:26 (permalink)

Stephenk291
    FTW Member
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 07:25:34 (permalink)
    seth89
    meanwhile on the GPU front:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9275/amd-teases-upcoming-video-card

Yeah and the 980 TI is going to steal the thunder again. HBM is great but I don't think that's going to be enough to sway people away from nvidia to buy AMD.  AMD has no problem keeping fanboys buying their stuff but they aren't exactly winning over new business.  They really only have the consumer market left. I personally have never worked with any AMD based servers and most desktops in businesses are all but intel based as well. Heck you don't even seen many AMD offerings from vendors outside of very low end laptops or desktops.

I for one hope AMD gets bought by Samsung or someone else so they have a capital injection to actually make nvidia and intel compete again. Competition lowers prices and lower prices benefit the consumer. (us)

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 09:38:35 (permalink)
    I for one hope AMD gets bought by Samsung or someone else so they have a capital injection to actually make nvidia and intel compete again. Competition lowers prices and lower prices benefit the consumer. (us)

Competition only lowers prices if people buy the competition's product. If the majority wait for AMD's competition in order to buy NVIDIA or Intel for cheaper, they will not see NVIDIA or Intel become any cheaper and will watch as AMD becomes less and less of a competitor. If you want lower prices and more competition, do your part and buy AMD products. Otherwise, watch AMD either go bankrupt or watch AMD move on to a different market.
    MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 09:53:01 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

Competition only lowers prices if people buy the competition's product. If the majority wait for AMD's competition in order to buy NVIDIA or Intel for cheaper, they will not see NVIDIA or Intel become any cheaper and will watch as AMD becomes less and less of a competitor. If you want lower prices and more competition, do your part and buy AMD products. Otherwise, watch AMD either go bankrupt or watch AMD move on to a different market.

That's a double edge sword there
    For AMD to be competition to Nvidia and Intel, we first have to buy their products. For us to buy their products they must first be competition to Nvidia and Intel
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 09:58:22 (permalink)
    Yup. Chicken/Egg situation there. I myself haven't bought a NVIDIA GPU for quite a few years and I will be considering buying from AMD's upcoming line. Whether or not people buy AMD's next GPU line with make a huge difference in whether or not we see competition from AMD's GPU line in the future afterwards. I think AMD's upcoming line will be a competitor and easily avoid that chicken/egg issue if people are open-minded enough to buy into it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/05/26 10:00:52
    Stephenk291
    FTW Member
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 09:59:18 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

I'm talking about the long run. Of course right now their not competitive and that's because they don't have the capital to invest or innovate like intel/nvidia do. Thus my point being if they get bought out..eventually down the line if they can crank out some decent product offerings that are priced competitively they can regain market share. Once you have more of a market share you can get investors back into the loop and then it can take off from there.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 10:02:14 (permalink)
    Stephenk291
    ty_ger07

I'm talking about the long run. Of course right now their not competitive and that's because they don't have the capital to invest or innovate like intel/nvidia do. Thus my point being if they get bought out..eventually down the line if they can crank out some decent product offerings that are priced competitively they can regain market share. Once you have more of a market share you can get investors back into the loop and then it can take off from there.

What about next month? Their new line will be coming out in about a month. There is no long run if there is no short run. Long run is made up of many short runs.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 10:28:09 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood

This is what usually happens when you try and micromanage every part of a certain business. Look at it from a management level, when a manager tries to handle every part of the job and micromanage everything, he breaks. Same concept. Back when ATI was bought out, I knew it was a terrible idea on AMD's part.
    AMD should have stayed at the processing level of the computer world, and branched off of Direct X. After all, Microsoft likes them more because of that aspect. I think AMD should sell their portion of the GPU side to another company, and stick with the processors.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 21:54:51 (permalink)
    Sooo you want me to buy a product in hopes of them being able to compete in 20yrs while the product that they want me to buy now barely treads water?

What kinda oxy moron approach is that?

I'll buy from a company that makes strides and actually advances versus buying a product and wishing and hoping it advances.

Tried and tested...versus a wing and a prayer.

If AMD wants to be sucessfull later on, they damn well better start now on there own rather than later. They had it going for them before they sucked in ATi with the buy out. Not my problem they took in to much and not putting out the products they need to. That's there own problem as a company. Intel figured out how to be successful, AMD better do the same or find a different market.

if you want to throw your hard earned cash on a prayer that's your business.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

I'll make sure to put my hard earned cash where it counts the most on a reliable product that advances yearly.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    megalolman
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 403
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/26 23:53:34 (permalink)
    I dubt AMD will go bankrupcy in 2020.
    If the rumors about DX12 are true, it will made AMD processors feel more appealing for gaming that Intel ones. If you use your computer for normal everyday tasks as web surfing and gaming, you can buy yourself, for example, an AMD CPU for 180$ and a pair of 180$ graphics cards VS an Intel i7 and only one of these cards... The AMD setup will near double the gaming performance of the intel one for the same price.

I think new APIs as DX12 can give AMD the market share they need to be in game for the next years. 

Succubi-Lair(Main Rig, dual-system) :
         Processor: AMD Ryzen 3900x @ NZXT Kraken x62 Motherboard: Gigabyte Elite X570, Memory: 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200Mhz C14, Storage: Samsung EVO 960 M.2 NVME 250GB (Windows10 PRO), 2 x Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 NVME 1TB (2TB Raid 0 array - Games), Graphics: MSI GTX1080 Ti X @ NZXT Kraken x42, Audio: ASUS Xonar DX, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Second-System (Envy, Ruoting/WIFI AP): Gigabyte GA-J1900N_D3V, 8GB SO_DIMM 1600MHZ DDR3, 120x2 SSD Raid 0, 150W picoPSU @ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ITX tray

BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3797
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/27 00:16:24 (permalink)
    megalolman
    I dubt AMD will go bankrupcy in 2020.
    If the rumors about DX12 are true, it will made AMD processors feel more appealing for gaming that Intel ones. If you use your computer for normal everyday tasks as web surfing and gaming, you can buy yourself, for example, an AMD CPU for 180$ and a pair of 180$ graphics cards VS an Intel i7 and only one of these cards... The AMD setup will near double the gaming performance of the intel one for the same price.

I think new APIs as DX12 can give AMD the market share they need to be in game for the next years. 
    No it won't... Where do you get your benchies from???

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

Stephenk291
    FTW Member
    Re: Analysts claim AMD will be bankrupt by 2020 2015/05/27 05:50:01 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Stephenk291
    ty_ger07

What about next month? Their new line will be coming out in about a month. There is no long run if there is no short run. Long run is made up of many short runs.

apparently the point I'm trying to make is going right over your head.  I'm merely referencing the hypothetical situation in which AMD is bought by Samsung. That huge influx of cash and resources then enables them to be competitive through innovation and research which in turn allows them to experiment with new products and better product offerings which can directly compete better with nvidia.  I don't see what is so hard to get about that. Nvidia has no competition at this time because they're not taking market share away, people who buy AMD are people who have consistently bought AMD whether its due to a better price or simply because they're fanboys but other than that nvidia has no competition what so ever. The latest AMD card isn't going to do anything to pull away from the 980 TI or the 990 that's supposedly coming out and nvidia has the cash and resources to continue pushing new cards out at a much faster rate than AMD. Hell all AMD can do is rebrand cards until the 390X is out.
    post edited by Stephenk291 - 2015/05/27 06:10:01

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile