EVGA

micro USB port

Author
Fiv3Score
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/06/03 21:26:01 (permalink)
I already knew about this issue before purchasing the TN7 and was very careful with it.. but somehow the micro usb port has slowly (after 3-4 months) sunk deeper into the unit, to the point where the cable just barely fits into the socket. I've resorted to taping the cable to the tablet to keep it in place (else it falls out with the slightest movement). 

Is this covered by the warranty? or just seen as a design flaw? Really disappointing.. 

13 Replies Related Threads

_BrittonT
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/03 21:57:53 (permalink)
    If you have your product registered. You can have your tablet replaced under warranty replacement. This is not a normal thing for the tablet to have.
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/04 07:45:20 (permalink)
    I've had my EVGA Tegra Note for several days now, great product.  But, I don't have the "warm fuzzies" about that Micro USB receptacle used on the product.  There are multiples of reports on the net about that receptacle not holding up over time.  I filtered that out some because I've seen people that are hard on plugs and not careful with how they handle devices that are plugged-in. 

My observation about the port so far is that we have a supplied Micro USB type B plug that is being placed into a Micro USB type AB receptacle.  That is allowed, but the feel of doing it is for lack of better words "rough feeling" and "loose" to me.  It feels like a poor connection when brand new and my concern is that it may worsen with use (as some people are reporting).  I think the design should have used a USB-B receptacle so that the USB-B plug has a receptacle that form-fits the plug.  Maybe the receptacle itself has a weak mounting design, but without taking it apart I have no way of knowing.

post edited by texinga - 2014/06/04 08:07:31

elrasho
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/06 04:49:30 (permalink)
    texinga
    I've had my EVGA Tegra Note for several days now, great product.  But, I don't have the "warm fuzzies" about that Micro USB receptacle used on the product.  There are multiples of reports on the net about that receptacle not holding up over time.  I filtered that out some because I've seen people that are hard on plugs and not careful with how they handle devices that are plugged-in. 

My observation about the port so far is that we have a supplied Micro USB type B plug that is being placed into a Micro USB type AB receptacle.  That is allowed, but the feel of doing it is for lack of better words "rough feeling" and "loose" to me.  It feels like a poor connection when brand new and my concern is that it may worsen with use (as some people are reporting).  I think the design should have used a USB-B receptacle so that the USB-B plug has a receptacle that form-fits the plug.  Maybe the receptacle itself has a weak mounting design, but without taking it apart I have no way of knowing.

Excellent post, can I use it when I get round to making a video review on Youtube? I love every aspect my Note 7 but the usb port is the one negative I could think of.
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/07 08:44:46 (permalink)
    The main issue I see is the new cable is too tight, which is why I used an older cable where the locking pins are smoother from wear. Even on my new phone the new included cable was tight to the USB micro B port, but using the older cable it was smooth.  The locking pins interfere with the casing, so if the are new it is grabbing on the casing.  Also, the connector appears to be a weakly soldered on connector in some cases, which may be why some start moving. 
    texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/07 13:33:34 (permalink)
    Yeah, I was also wondering if Nvidia chose the Micro-AB receptacle for a reason.  Maybe so that a Micro-A plug could also be used with this product?  I've always seen the Micro-B plugs, but maybe other parts of the world use a Micro-A plug and they needed dual compatibility.

It is a bit of an odd feel when inserting the Tegra USB Micro-B plug.  But worse, it lacks a solid feel that it is being held properly by the Micro-AB receptacle (to me).  The Tegra Note receptacle feels like it doesn't allow the Micro-B plug to insert all the way or isn't being held very well by the receptacle.  When I put that same Tegra Micro-B plug into my HTC One phone (that is brand new), it has a solid feel to it and you can feel it snap solidly into position.  The receptacle on the Tegra Note feels slightly loose to me and don't get that solid snap into position that I see with my cell phones and other products that require a USB Type-B plug.

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/07 13:42:41 (permalink)
    elrasho
    Excellent post, can I use it when I get round to making a video review on Youtube? I love every aspect my Note 7 but the usb port is the one negative I could think of.

Feel free...one thing is fairly sure, there is something that is not solid about that USB receptacle.  I would tell anyone that I'm very pleased with the Tegra Note 7, but would caution them to "go easy" on that USB charging receptacle.  If mine croaks (due to the receptacle), I'll take it apart and then I'll know what the problem is/was with the not-so-solid feel of the thing. 

fm123
    Superclocked Member
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/08 00:38:58 (permalink)
    That's because the USB OTG specifications says it should be a micro AB connector for the device to serve as host or non-host.

"On-The-Go: An OTG product is a portable device that uses a single Micro-AB receptacle (and no other USB receptacles) to operate at times as a USB Targeted Host and at times as a USB peripheral. OTG devices must always operate as a standard peripheral when connected to a standard USB host. "

http://www.usb.org/develo...ompliance_plan_1_2.pdf
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/08 02:53:25 (permalink)
    Another of the reasons that micro USB is used is that Europe has a non voluntary standard that this be used in most all phone related devices and tablets (except for Apple who designed an adapter you can purchase)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Fiv3Score
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/09 17:25:09 (permalink)
    I've found an old samsung phone usb cable that fits much better than the stock, thinner and doesn't protrude.

Looks like I might have to send mine in for repair/replacement... reluctant to do so as I rely on this device for many things . My android phone is uselessly slow, and my laptop finally died on me after years. 

Also, the device takes way too long to charge.. must be something wrong with the battery in my unit. I've been using it on battery saving mode, and it's impossible to use the device if you want it to actually charge. Battery drain>charge rate

Can anyone tell me how to go about sending my unit in? haven't had to do so before, and would like it back before I leave for holiday in a couple months, Thanks!

post edited by Fiv3Score - 2014/06/09 17:30:10
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    Re: micro USB port 2014/06/09 19:00:37 (permalink)
    You should contact evga directly, our newegg if you're within their return period.
    pjf25
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: micro USB port 2015/04/30 09:56:14 (permalink)
    Hi in recently bought a Tegra note7 from eBay. I believe it is still under warranty. However I appreciate that as bought 2nd hand warranty will be void. But I'm hoping you can advise me on how to remove the back cover, as the USB charging port has broken and it spent hours searching online for help but to no avail. I'm sure I could fix problem myself if only knew how to remove the casting. I can't see any screws/fixings anywhere and don't want to force and snap casing in anyway. Please can someone help me hear. I send thanks in anticipation of the help I need. Cheers. Mr. PJ Fishlock..
    UnReal-4-Life
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 353
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: micro USB port 2015/05/26 08:47:37 (permalink)
    >>>>>>only if you have no warrenty left and are tool savy try  <<<<<<

If your careful you can buy a micro usb and cut back the rubber plastic of the usb cord so you can reach it. if its not too lose using a tiny drop of glue from glue gun on the tip you can pull it back out like that. This move in not to be done by the novice or  intermediate only by experts. Glue come off easy after.

Also look up ipad how to open up that may help you there is a kit at radio shack to open up these things.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: micro USB port 2015/05/26 09:33:15 (permalink)
    pjf25
    Hi in recently bought a Tegra note7 from eBay. I believe it is still under warranty. However I appreciate that as bought 2nd hand warranty will be void. But I'm hoping you can advise me on how to remove the back cover, as the USB charging port has broken and it spent hours searching online for help but to no avail. I'm sure I could fix problem myself if only knew how to remove the casting. I can't see any screws/fixings anywhere and don't want to force and snap casing in anyway. Please can someone help me hear. I send thanks in anticipation of the help I need. Cheers. Mr. PJ Fishlock..

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2334187
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile