EVGA

Bought an open box EVGA 670 FTW Edition from MicroCenter, having a lot of issues....

Author
spardasieg
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/25 12:46:22 (permalink)
The problem: Games run fine for a couple minutes and then the temps spike and the games drop to 0fps and buzzing comes from the speakers.

It seems to get really hot sometimes also(85+C, a couple times it hit 100c) in pretty much any game that's using most of its power(GTA5, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, etc...). I saw this happen with Youtube videos also. I am hesitant to contact EVGA because I had warranty issues with them before, it does hold its 3 year warranty according to Microcenter. I only have 3 more days to return it though to store. 

I tried running the fan at 80+ in EVGA precission and MSI Afterburner but it doesn't help it seems, it is not overclocked, I never really touch that on cards. The buzzing coming from the speakers strickes me as odd, I stress tested my CPU, checked HDD, and Ram. All of my hardware is new and my PSU can handle most things, its a EVGA G2 750Watt. My airflow is also good, all my other parts are very cool. 

What is this? A bad chip? Surprised Microcenter would sell a card in this condition without checking it.... 

I had to put my 460 back in cause I was sick of hard resetting my PC, I don't wanna harm my new HDD....
post edited by spardasieg - 2015/05/25 12:50:38

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Bought an open box EVGA 670 FTW Edition from MicroCenter, having a lot of issues.... 2015/05/25 19:20:50 (permalink)
    Have you tried to reapply the thermal paste on the card to see if it helps correct the temps you've been getting?
    spardasieg
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Bought an open box EVGA 670 FTW Edition from MicroCenter, having a lot of issues.... 2015/05/25 20:43:56 (permalink)
    I don't have any, would that really cause such high heats and fps drops/freezes?
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Bought an open box EVGA 670 FTW Edition from MicroCenter, having a lot of issues.... 2015/05/29 17:47:40 (permalink)
    " I am hesitant to contact EVGA because I had warranty issues with them before"
    Yes, because possibly the best & well known partner with Nvidia, who has a long standing history of customer satisfaction is totally out to shaft the end user. Having dealt with EVGA personally many times over the years, and hearing thousands of others share their complete and utter satisfaction with EVGA, hearing people say things like this makes me wonder what on earth you were trying to pull. Now that I have that off my chest. Clearly your card is faulty in some form, and just like a car engine, when things start to overheat, things just don't work correctly and can cause severe damage. As Sajin said, if you feel comfortable, you could take the heatsink/fan off the card, and make sure it has the correct amount of thermal paste , OR! you could simply take it back to MicroCenter being as the card clearly is not performing as it should, that would be the easiest route! But perhaps give EVGA another chance at winning you over RMA process usually doesn't take but 1-2 weeks, and you will be getting something on par, if not newer then your open box 670 FTW

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile