EVGA

EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Rei86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3675
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/24 15:20:02 (permalink)
Hey all, been gone for a long time and finally looking to build up another rig.  So the question I have to ask is the voltage unlocked on this thing?  Or do we need a special software like during the 780Ti day?

RIG 1 - i7-4790K / Asus Z97 Gryphon / AMD Sapphire RX Vega 64 / 8GB*8GB G.Skill Trident X 2400Mhz CL10 / SeaSonic Prime Ultra 1000w Plat
RIG 2 - Pentium G3258 / ASRock Z97 Extreme9 / AMD XFX RX580 GTS XXX x4 / 8GB*8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz CL10 / Corsair AX1200i

WhiteDragon_
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1190
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/24 15:30:13 (permalink)
trawetSluaP
Slider6996
I can tell u for a fact the cards dont downclock at 60C...kinda crazy to even think that rly. On my classy i was playing AC unity and when ur in the menu picking gear and all, i noticed the gpu usage goes up higher and i was using AB monitoring temps and all. Noticed when the card reached 71C ( only in this menu does it go that high for some reason ) the gpu did downclock by about 20mhz or so. Soon as i exited that menu and back in game, clock went back up to 1542 and temps went back to 57C. Not sure it does that in menu but point is card dont downclock at 60c >.> 

Maybe idk what im talking bout just going by what i saw today by chance, and AC unity is pretty buggy so who knows, maybe gpu was downclocking cuz wasnt needed at that time but temps say otherwise. 

F.A.O. White Dragon too.

My OC ran through hours of Heaven and multiple runs of 3DMark fine but Far Cry crashes to the desktop.  It's either the OC or the game that is unstable and I'm leaning towards the game...

EDIT: OC is crashing in Borderlands: TPS now so clearly it's the OC that isn't stable.  

Aww man that stinks... just for the heck of it go ahead and install 344.16 Drivers and see if you get the same crashes. I know this driver is not optimized for FC4 but try them anyway and see what happens then let us know what you find. Fingers crossed for ya bud.

Dimastech Easy V2.5   |   EVGA Z690 Dark KP   |   12900KS   |   G.Skill Trident Z5 6400   |   EVGA RTX 3080Ti  |   Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series   |   FireCuda 530 M.2   |   Corsair AX1200i   |   Alienware 34"   |   Windows 10 Pro   |   Basilisk Ultimate   |   BlackWidow v3 TenKeyless

| 

Affiliate Code: 6GUDAW6JKZ    
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=79888
trawetSluaP
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/24 19:24:40 (permalink)
WhiteDragon_
trawetSluaP
Slider6996
I can tell u for a fact the cards dont downclock at 60C...kinda crazy to even think that rly. On my classy i was playing AC unity and when ur in the menu picking gear and all, i noticed the gpu usage goes up higher and i was using AB monitoring temps and all. Noticed when the card reached 71C ( only in this menu does it go that high for some reason ) the gpu did downclock by about 20mhz or so. Soon as i exited that menu and back in game, clock went back up to 1542 and temps went back to 57C. Not sure it does that in menu but point is card dont downclock at 60c >.> 

Maybe idk what im talking bout just going by what i saw today by chance, and AC unity is pretty buggy so who knows, maybe gpu was downclocking cuz wasnt needed at that time but temps say otherwise. 

F.A.O. White Dragon too.

My OC ran through hours of Heaven and multiple runs of 3DMark fine but Far Cry crashes to the desktop.  It's either the OC or the game that is unstable and I'm leaning towards the game...

EDIT: OC is crashing in Borderlands: TPS now so clearly it's the OC that isn't stable.  

Aww man that stinks... just for the heck of it go ahead and install 344.16 Drivers and see if you get the same crashes. I know this driver is not optimized for FC4 but try them anyway and see what happens then let us know what you find. Fingers crossed for ya bud.

I tried 344.16 and still had the same issue.  The fact that I'm crashing to Desktop means it's the core that is too high right?  If it's memory I'd get a hard crash?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Elite
CPU: i9-7900X
Motherboard: Rampage VI Extreme
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200 MHz
GPU: RTX 2080 FE
Storage: 960 Pro 512GB, 2 x  840 Evo 250GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
Monitor: HP Omen 27i, MX27AW
Custom Watercooling Loop
Aquaero 6 XT

JerkMan
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 780
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/24 19:52:43 (permalink)
trawetSluaP
WhiteDragon_
trawetSluaP
Slider6996

F.A.O. White Dragon too.

I tried 344.16 and still had the same issue.  The fact that I'm crashing to Desktop means it's the core that is too high right?  If it's memory I'd get a hard crash?

If you're crashing to the desktop, it should be the game. The card would cause a complete lockup.

i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz 1.31V on Noctua NH-D14
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz
2xEVGA GTX 980 Ti HYBRID SLI OC +150/+250 @1481MHz/7500MHz 24/7 Push/Pull
3xSamsung B2430H DVI @ 5760x1080
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD SATA III/6GB
1TB Western Digital 7200 RPM SATA III/6GB
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 1200W
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition
JerkMan
SSC Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/24 19:56:02 (permalink)
Slider6996

I noticed the most random spikes in temp and clocks in that game too. In fact, I noticed the lowest temps and highest clocks during extended gameplay rather than menu navigation, kind of opposite of what I expected. Unless it's the game making it act weird, looks like you inadvertently found that the card starts to throttle down at around 70C tho.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3
trawetSluaP
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/25 05:30:38 (permalink)
JerkMan
trawetSluaP
WhiteDragon_
trawetSluaP
Slider6996

F.A.O. White Dragon too.

If you're crashing to the desktop, it should be the game. The card would cause a complete lockup.

Well it kicks me back to the desktop, but the game "screen" is still present albeit just blank white and prevents me from seeing anything behind it.  I'd hope it is the game but Far Cry 4 and Borderlands TPS do the same thing, leading me to suspect my OC is too high.

Custom Watercooling Loop
Aquaero 6 XT

Smokey the Bear
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 144
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/25 10:28:27 (permalink)
trawetSluaP
Well I'm a little confused...

At stock voltage which is displayed at 1.206v I can add +104 to the core and +600 to the memory for final clocks of 1533/8200.  I'm pretty impressed with this as the fans don't go above 45-50% and max temps have been 65-68.

My confusion comes for adding voltage.  I've been under the assumption that adding additional voltage will allow me to OC the card further.  However, when I add voltage even to the already stable OC mentioned above the driver crashes.  Now I'm clearly missing something.  Can someone explain my error?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul, I spoke with you before about my first card that was RMA'd. EVGA suggested it, and in the end the card wasn't stable at stock settings and was indeed in need of it.

My second card seemed to be better, but is simply not unstable like the first, so it takes longer to see that increasing the voltage in precision 5.2.x isn't actually increasing stability. It reports an increase in voltage in the monitoring software, but will for whatever reason crash where the card is otherwise fine at it's stock voltage. Strange issue and it's often met with "You aren't proficient in overclocking" yet I believe it's truly a bug in Precision 5.2.x's over voltage.

It's as though the card runs fine on the stock voltage of 1.225, but when I manually set it to 1.3 and it reads 1.26-1.29, it's actually lowering itself to 1.200. I can't confirm this until my dmm arrives, but I have the feeling this is why we're going from stable at stock, to totally unstable after increasing the voltage while making sure the clocks haven't increased. The same applies for if you set the voltage to 1.245 which results in about 1.225 or so under load, it just isn't stable like it is if you leave it at 1.225 on it's own. Using Precision 4.2.1 or Afterburner, you'll notice a higher voltage, and you'll be able to get a better overclock with those programs as the voltage will remain constant. Doing this I'm up to 1.243v and far more stable, but not really able to go any higher than this currently. Using the nolimitsbios didn't do much for stability or performance regardless of the voltage displaying as 1.275v in precision 4.2.1. Maybe for some reason 5.2.x needs the kingpin bios to work, though I'm pretty sure the classy tool itself works without the kingpin bios.

So far my best results are using precision 4.2.1 at 1.243 and I'll play with the classy tool when water blocks arrive.

If the problem with the games happen often enough you can ease off the OC to see if it keeps happening. If it does then try it at stock.
trawetSluaP
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/25 10:37:30 (permalink)
Smokey the Bear
trawetSluaP
Well I'm a little confused...

At stock voltage which is displayed at 1.206v I can add +104 to the core and +600 to the memory for final clocks of 1533/8200.  I'm pretty impressed with this as the fans don't go above 45-50% and max temps have been 65-68.

My confusion comes for adding voltage.  I've been under the assumption that adding additional voltage will allow me to OC the card further.  However, when I add voltage even to the already stable OC mentioned above the driver crashes.  Now I'm clearly missing something.  Can someone explain my error?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul, I spoke with you before about my first card that was RMA'd. EVGA suggested it, and in the end the card wasn't stable at stock settings and was indeed in need of it.

My second card seemed to be better, but is simply not unstable like the first, so it takes longer to see that increasing the voltage in precision 5.2.x isn't actually increasing stability. It reports an increase in voltage in the monitoring software, but will for whatever reason crash where the card is otherwise fine at it's stock voltage. Strange issue and it's often met with "You aren't proficient in overclocking" yet I believe it's truly a bug in Precision 5.2.x's over voltage.

It's as though the card runs fine on the stock voltage of 1.225, but when I manually set it to 1.3 and it reads 1.26-1.29, it's actually lowering itself to 1.200. I can't confirm this until my dmm arrives, but I have the feeling this is why we're going from stable at stock, to totally unstable after increasing the voltage while making sure the clocks haven't increased. The same applies for if you set the voltage to 1.245 which results in about 1.225 or so under load, it just isn't stable like it is if you leave it at 1.225 on it's own. Using Precision 4.2.1 or Afterburner, you'll notice a higher voltage, and you'll be able to get a better overclock with those programs as the voltage will remain constant. Doing this I'm up to 1.243v and far more stable, but not really able to go any higher than this currently. Using the nolimitsbios didn't do much for stability or performance regardless of the voltage displaying as 1.275v in precision 4.2.1. Maybe for some reason 5.2.x needs the kingpin bios to work, though I'm pretty sure the classy tool itself works without the kingpin bios.

So far my best results are using precision 4.2.1 at 1.243 and I'll play with the classy tool when water blocks arrive.

If the problem with the games happen often enough you can ease off the OC to see if it keeps happening. If it does then try it at stock.

Spot on!  Problem completely goes away when using Afterburner 4.0!
Have got an OC that is both game and benchmark stable now:

Core +91, Memory +625 - Final Clock: 1546/8262
+50mV (for total voltage of 1.256v)
110% PT (although it barely goes above 90 I've set it so it's there if it needs it)
Under heavy load temps will be between 60-70c @ 50% fan speed.

Overall I'm proper chuffed with this card!!!

Custom Watercooling Loop
Aquaero 6 XT

Smokey the Bear
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/25 10:48:36 (permalink)
trawetSluaP

Spot on!  Problem completely goes away when using Afterburner 4.0!
Have got an OC that is both game and benchmark stable now:

Core +91, Memory +625 - Final Clock: 1546/8262
+50mV (for total voltage of 1.256v)
110% PT (although it barely goes above 90 I've set it so it's there if it needs it)
Under heavy load temps will be between 60-70c @ 50% fan speed.

Overall I'm proper chuffed with this card!!!

Nice! Awesome stuff. The change definitely did away with any disappointment I initially felt. Was running some games for a while at 1570/8050 but can't really give it a good test until later on. It stuck me in 9th place for fs ultra though with a bit more mhz on the mem!

Now if only we could get a higher and more stable voltage without using an evbot for when the water comes! I know there's the tool but it would be nice if it's functionality were built into precision.
Andrew_WOT
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/25 11:01:38 (permalink)
evfan
classy review
http://www.hardwareasylum...evga_gtx980_classified

Is that statement really accurate

The 980 Classified comes with a stock hot-clocked image and secondary BIOS with a higher power target and extended overclocking performance. 

The info posted by rep here that the only difference is more aggressive fan curve.
compddd
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 476
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/25 11:23:39 (permalink)
Borderlands TPS is a buggy mess, same with Farcry 4. So your OC might not be unstable. Try some other games and see what happens.

CPU: CORE I7-4790K // MB: ASUS Z97-AR // GFX: EVGA RTX 2080 TI BLACK EDITION GAMING
trawetSluaP
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/25 13:41:05 (permalink)
compddd
Borderlands TPS is a buggy mess, same with Farcry 4. So your OC might not be unstable. Try some other games and see what happens.

What games would you recommend, are there any in particular?

Custom Watercooling Loop
Aquaero 6 XT

JerkMan
SSC Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/26 00:21:35 (permalink)
In Precision X 4.2.1, when the GPU clock line turns yellow, is that an automatic no-no overclock? Can is still be stable? (I don't have the time or patience, hoping someone's already tested it)

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3
trawetSluaP
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/11/26 04:04:35 (permalink)
JerkMan
In Precision X 4.2.1, when the GPU clock line turns yellow, is that an automatic no-no overclock? Can is still be stable? (I don't have the time or patience, hoping someone's already tested it)

That simply means the value displayed in the graph is hitting the top of the graph.  Sounds like you've got you max Core Clock set to 1500 and you're going over that.  If you right click that field that displays yellow and click properties you'll be able to adjust the maximum limit.

Update: My latest OC is still crashing in Borderlands: TPS.  Gutted!  Although the games may be a mess surely the aim of my OC is to run all and any games stably?

Custom Watercooling Loop
Aquaero 6 XT

JerkMan
SSC Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/12/03 23:15:14 (permalink)
Ok so ACU was a bad game to OC. In BF4 so far I'm getting +76/+500 for 1605/8000, max temp of the top card being 65ish. Extremely happy, this is what I spent the money for. I feel like there's more headroom on the core but I have pretty limited time to game with a newborn at home.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2014/12/05 20:30:35 (permalink)
EVGA GTX980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Fastest Single GPU Unboxing 

EVGA GTX980 Classified Review 

Hardwareluxx
http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/reviews/hardware/vgacards/33340-test-evga-geforce-gtx-980-classified.html

Hardwareasylum
http://www.hardwareasylum.com/reviews/video/evga_gtx980_classified

It's nice card only need backplate and everything is on place.
I would love to GTX780 and GTX780Ti share their experience after upgrade on GTX980,
did they saw some kind of downgrade or upgrade.
post edited by Vlada011 - 2014/12/05 21:08:58

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

OGM3X
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/05 16:05:17 (permalink)
Does overclocking the memory actually help in gaming ? 

Mangofire
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/06 07:10:51 (permalink)
I just bought 2 classifieds and I got a question, One card stock clocks at 1430 out of the box, the other clocks at 1366, no overclock on either card. When run in sli I only get 1366 as it defaults to the lower speed. Its the same on all three bios. The cards are one serial number apart. Anyone else seeing this. Under K-boost the same thing. I think I should be seeing 1391 or better as the cards states 1391 under boost. I should not have to overclock to get advertised speeds. What am I missing here?

Mobo: Asus Rampage V 
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K, WB EK EVO 
GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti x  2 SLI EK WB'S 
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB 2800
CASE: Corsair 900D 
PSU: EVGA 1600G2
HD: Samsung 950 Pro 512, 850 Pro, 3x730 Intels in Raid 0
Firestrike - 31044 
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12259423
Firestrike Extreme - 22,520 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12259351
Firestrike Ultra - 13,916 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12259262
paullongy326
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/06 08:45:53 (permalink)
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4242554

my results for single 980 classified  my cpu is 4770k @4.2
i dont no if any good as just learning about all the overclocking stuff and just playing i may of done something wrong  has people are getting higher scores

CASE= corsair a 540
MOTHERBOARD =ASUS X99 PRO
CPU=intel i7 5820K   4.0GHZ@1.1V
MEMORY=32gb dominator platinum3000MHz memory
HARD DRIVES=ssd samsung pro 250 gb /western digital cavier black 1 tb
GPU=EVGA GTX980 CLASSIFIED ACX 2.0
COOLER=h100 i water cooler
MONITOR=  Dell U2715H 27" QHD IPS Monitor 2560x1440
JerkMan
SSC Member
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/06 10:42:57 (permalink)
Mangofire
I just bought 2 classifieds and I got a question, One card stock clocks at 1430 out of the box, the other clocks at 1366, no overclock on either card. When run in sli I only get 1366 as it defaults to the lower speed. Its the same on all three bios. The cards are one serial number apart. Anyone else seeing this. Under K-boost the same thing. I think I should be seeing 1391 or better as the cards states 1391 under boost. I should not have to overclock to get advertised speeds. What am I missing here?

Check the ASIC value, usually the culprit. (GPU-Z, click on the top left card icon, then "Read ASIC quality...")

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3
ericc191
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1441
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/09 21:39:13 (permalink)
Just wanted to put in my 2 pennies on overclocking and benching.. You can be stable all day long in 3DMark, but I guarantee you that stable clock will get embarrassed in Unigine Valley. If you can loop for at least 2 hours in Valley, you're stable.

Heatware
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @5GHz 1.28v
Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB
Mobo: Asus Z390i Gaming
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Royal 16GB 3200MHz
SSD: Intel 660P 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2
GPU: EVGA GTX 2080 Ti (Custom Hybrid) 2150MHz
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Case: White Caselabs(RIP) Mercury S3
Display: Alienware AW3418DW 21:9 120Hz GSync
Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless
Keyboard: Max Keyboard Blackbird
Audio: Infinity IL10 paired to SA-50 amp
tcclaviger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/10 12:16:24 (permalink)
Webtourist, beautiful build man. You should update your oc.net heaven top 30 using your classy 980, someone needs to put an EVGA 980 high up on the single card scores!

To clarify for those wondering about the 70c downclock. It's not really throttling, it's simply rolling back 1 boost bin. Remember how it boosted higher than advertised stock? Ya those are extra bins gained because of low temps and low tdp so it went higher because it had headroom to do so, when you hit 70c you no longer have the headroom according to nvidia drivers. Asus cards do it too at 70c on stock bioses.

Really curious what your Vgpu and Vvram are at those clocks webtourist. Considering picking up a classy or kingpin soon to live in an odd matrix,strix,classy tri sli lol.

Can you adjust memory voltage using the ln2 bios on classies?
OGM3X
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/10 13:44:25 (permalink)
Quick question , if using OC or LN2 bios will that yield higher overclock ? Is it ok to run both bios on air ? I know switching to LN2 will boost the power target to 148 over the normal 125 . 

LeoAlvesPrado
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/03/10 17:10:37 (permalink)
Hello
I wonder if EVGA stopped production of Classified? I live in Brazil and unfortunately after getting my money back from Asus, the case GTX 970 Vram, decide to buy a GTX 980 and saw the EVGA Classified without doubt the best. But unfortunately all official resellers EVGA in Brazil ended its stock of Classified, and to ask about it, is not expected to be available.
Please forgive my English
Thank you all!
gambler1986
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/05/25 02:06:11 (permalink)
Hello everyone ! Help! I bought a EVGA GTX 980 Classfield ver 2988. Without raising voltage takes 1500mhz. 1600 takes only at cell voltages above 1.4 and then with artifacts and departures . Will I go to the water using the EK-FC980 GTX Classy - Acetal + Nickel. Will I be able to reach 1700-1800mhz?
bogie89
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: EVGA GTX 980 Classified Reviews/OC Results? 2015/05/25 03:10:46 (permalink)
in benching i can reach over 1700 with both 980 classified and 980kpe
on air 1630/50
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile