Upgrading PSU

Author
Dukman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1478
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2015/05/24 14:40:35 (permalink)

Getting ready to build a 3 way SLI system and when I did some PSU calculations, it turned out that I'll be pushing my 1000w Silverstone a bit close to the edge with everything I've got.

I've been looking at both 1200w and 1300w power supplies.  Preferences leaning towards getting a 1300w to allow for a bit more overhead, although this leads me to a few (minor) annoyances about many of the 1200w psu's and all of the 1300w units.

Inline capacitors - annoying to deal with when sleeving the cables.
Split 24pin at PSU - Also annoying to deal with when sleeving.
And red cables... Why oh why did you have to do that with the 1300G2 EVGA?    No matter, I can sleeve over the red.

EVGA is in my top 5 list.  Pro's being warranty and customer service.  Cons being what's listed above.  Other major contenders are Be Quiet!, Seasonic and Silverstone.  Though their 1350 is pretty pricey and only an 80plus Silver.  If I go the Silverstone route, it will either be the 1200 or the 1500 as to get a gold or platinum rated PSU.

Thought for the moment:  I remember when I bought a 600w PSU.  That was the biggest PSU on the market and people wondered what I needed all that power for. 
Thought for the moment #2:  If you look at my upcoming build you'd swear I'm an EVGA fanboi or something.  Motherboard, GPU's and possibly PSU all EVGA. 

Heatware

4 Replies Related Threads

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Upgrading PSU 2015/05/24 14:56:59 (permalink)
    What exactly are you running in 3 way SLI? A tri-SLI GTX Titan X system will tap out around 750-800w which leaves you 20% headroom on a 1K PSU. Those PSU calculators always over exaggerate PSU needs, I like to go off reviews and actual usage. Like this:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,4.html

Where 3 GTX 980's in SLI on a X79 system with a overclocked processor only hits 589w on the PSU.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Dukman
    FTW Member
    Re: Upgrading PSU 2015/05/24 15:18:57 (permalink)
    Will be running 3x 780Ti.  Which is in the same power usage range as the Titans.  Add to that a 4790k that will be overclocked, 4 sticks of RAM, 2 SSD's, 2-4 Velociraptors, dedicated soundcard and all the cooling fans, it adds up and gets close to the current 1000w of the current PSU.

I figured that the calculators have some exaggeration in the figures.  But I prefer overestimation to underestimation. 

Heatware

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Upgrading PSU 2015/05/24 17:26:30 (permalink)
    In that review they don't exactly list all components they are using, but they are using 1.35v on that CPU overclock which is going to be a good deal more since they are using a i7 3960X processor. I'd say you are probably around 900w power usage with all of that and that Silverstone probably won't be good for 10% headroom.

For a PSU, this is the best bang for the buck at the moment, $180:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

I got mine for $80 used, pretty happy with it... it's definitely ready for quad SLI set-ups.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Dukman
    FTW Member
    Re: Upgrading PSU 2015/05/30 21:48:32 (permalink)
    Alright, EVGA Supernova 1300G2 ordered, delivered and in hand. 

Initial impressions as I open the box?  Well... It's a power supply so its not like an "OMG" experience. 

But it has a nice heft to it and feels well built.  It has a fitted cloth bag that you can put the PSU into.  Why?  I don't know.  That never really made sense to me, in most cases the PSU will be sitting inside your PC case.  But I suppose, for those times when it's not, it can gather dust inside a bag rather than outside.  Or I suppose if it upsets you, you could black bag it and waterboard it or something.  The overall appearance isn't bad, but then you have to try really hard to make an ugly PSU. Hmm... Maybe that's what the bag is for?   I just wish the SN sticker was somewhere else, so that it's not in sight when placed inside the case.  I wonder; if I relocate those stickers will that void the warranty?  Hope not, because the sticker has to go. 

The cables? This is where almost every PSU disappoints.  This set is only so-so.  I would prefer an all black set, but I can work with the red GPU sets.  The sleeving is mildly annoying, mainly because the heat shrink used does NOT want to come off.  You could seriously use that stuff to patch one of the tires on my work truck.  It came with a 24pin jumper to check the PSU.  That was a nice touch, first time I've had that come with a PSU. 

But the biggest problem with the cables? 

Capacitors.  What is up with all the capacitors!?  

I was expecting some on the 24pin and perhaps on the GPU.   But every cable I plan to use has capacitors on them.  24pin, GPU and CPU.   Was that Superflowers idea or EVGA's?   In the case of the 24pin and the CPU pin I just removed the caps and will heatshrink over the bare crimp.  (I don't plan to sleeve this PSU).   But the GPU cables.  Ah.. you had to make them red and you had to put a cap on that 6pin didn't you?   Unfortunately I don't have either red heat shrink or red wire, though I plan to rectify that problem soon.  So for the time being 2 wires on each of the the GPU 6pins will look like they're wearing mourning bands.

If I had a choice, I would prefer the ribbon style cabling, but that wasn't really an option for any of the PSU's in this wattage range.  So I can live with it.  As a plus, at least the EVGA wires are all of one color rather than the multihued option of other PSU's.  Also the cables come with a black cloth bag.  This I DO get and will put to use. 

Thoughts so far?  I don't regret spending the money on this.  But I haven't installed the PSU yet, so as long as it doesn't catch fire and explode or cause a rift in the space time continuum I still wont regret spending my money on it. 
    Im still cleaning up those wires and getting it ready.  

So we'll see in a few more days.   If we all end up elsewhere, blame EVGA, not me.
    post edited by Dukman - 2015/05/30 22:07:33

Heatware

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile