EVGA

AnsweredEvga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost

Author
ullert
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/01 09:38:46 (permalink)
Hi!, my evga gtx 780 sc card is stuck at 966mhz and doesnt seem like its going over that clock speed.

I have read that it might be stuck at this clock if it doesnt need to deliver more performance, but it still sits at 966mhz under benchmarking and most games i have tried. (though i will say that i still havent checked the gpu clock on all my games, so there might be some that increases the clock speed, i dont know...) but still, why dont i get max gpu clock when i run benchmakrs?!

Voltage currently sits at 950mv and temps are 45C (evga precision X readings)
EVGA_James
EVGA Product Manager
  • Total Posts : 1026
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/04/01 09:50:57 (permalink)
Hello ullert, 

I do apologize for any inconveniences you are having. If you have not done so I would suggest to manually remove ALL driver files by booting into safe mode going to Control Panel > Program Features and uninstalling all Nvidia components to avoid any possible driver conflicts. Then re-installing the most current drivers but selecting the Custom(Advanced) Option then checking the "Perform a Clean Install" box just to be thorough. Then test with various benchmark tools such as Heaven benchmark or 3DMark.

ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/04/01 10:18:49 (permalink)
I will do some more testing, then i will try your suggestion, thanks ;)
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/20 07:28:50 (permalink)
EVGATech_JamesL
Hello ullert, 

I do apologize for any inconveniences you are having. If you have not done so I would suggest to manually remove ALL driver files by booting into safe mode going to Control Panel > Program Features and uninstalling all Nvidia components to avoid any possible driver conflicts. Then re-installing the most current drivers but selecting the Custom(Advanced) Option then checking the "Perform a Clean Install" box just to be thorough. Then test with various benchmark tools such as Heaven benchmark or 3DMark.

I must say im really sorry for the long delay, but i finally got the time to do some real tests, i did everything you said and tested the computer, and it seems like it runs as it should in stock, and with an overclock under 100mhz (on the core clock). But as soon as i get over 100mhz, it starts to "underclock" for some reason. Now since it has been so long i have done some driver changes to fix triplemonitor problems and other graphics related issues (i have probably tried 3 or 4 different gpu drivers if not more) but whatever i do it still underclocks with an overclock over 100mhz?!  I have some screenshots from the EVGA presicion x hardware monitor software which might give you a clue to what might be causing it?? :o 

Ok so i decided to start up tomb raider and run a benchmark with the monitoring running, and i tried to make it so you can see whats happening when the voltage limit goes from 1-0.

Green: when i fired up the game and looked at the start menu
Red: when the benchmark loaded
Blue: while the benchmark was running
yellow: when i stopped the benchmark

(I would be really happy if you could try and explain what the power and voltage limit actually means, as i dont know exactly what they do ive gone ahead and aksed a few questions regarding if they are the way they should or if something is wrong). For some reason it jumped back and forth between 1 and 0 (under the green line) for a couple of seconds right after the game had launched, then it settled at 0 while i looked at the mainmenu. You can also see the fps drop in the framerate graph below as the benchmark was running, which i guess is just natural.

Here is a graph off the clock speeds during the benchmark aswell, it keeps lowering the clock all the way down to about 730mhz(this does fluctuate from 730- 830mhz) before returning to normal when idling (i have kboost turned on during these tests) Temps was as usual staying below 70C, with temp target set to 95C and fans running at pretty high speeds.

And here is a graph showing stats while i played Tomb Raider for a while.

Are the powerlimit and voltage limit parameters working as they should? 

Again, im really sory for the late answer, hope its still ok :o 
post edited by ullert - 2015/05/20 07:33:12
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/20 12:37:30 (permalink)
This is all normal operation under stock vbios. Power & voltage limits let you know when you're hitting the limits of each, 0 = not limited, 1 = hitting limit.
EVGATech_JaesonW
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 910
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/20 13:10:12 (permalink)
In PrecisionX, increase the Power Target slider all the way to the right and hit apply. This will let the card draw more voltage, and potentially boost higher. This won't pose any risk to the card either, it will stay well within Nvidia's maximum voltage limit for the card.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
Have a moment? Please rate our service 
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 09:28:34 (permalink)
EVGATech_JaesonW
In PrecisionX, increase the Power Target slider all the way to the right and hit apply. This will let the card draw more voltage, and potentially boost higher. This won't pose any risk to the card either, it will stay well within Nvidia's maximum voltage limit for the card.

The power target is already set to max (106%) though i have noticed, when i close and re-open precision x with the card running with kboost, both the power target and gpu target are at their lowest, with just a % sign showing with the powertarget, and 0C in the gpu temp target, is this normal??

Edit: ok, so i just noticed that the fan speed says N/A as well, and my temps are hitting 72 degrees running light games o.O
post edited by ullert - 2015/05/21 09:32:45
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 09:29:47 (permalink)
Sajin
This is all normal operation under stock vbios. Power & voltage limits let you know when you're hitting the limits of each, 0 = not limited, 1 = hitting limit.

Ok thanks for letting me know ;)
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 09:40:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ullert 2015/05/24 08:02:28
Power limit. Your card has a 250w limit (per se) and it hits 250w, it is at 100%. Say you bump the voltage and the power limit to 106%, you will be able to pull 265w total instead of 250. If you were to use a modified bios, which can be risky, you could set the power limit/target higher, allowing the possibility of your car to run better.

Just an example: If your card is not hitting the power target, and you are pulling 205w, bumping the power target to 265w/106% won't really do much, just give bigger numbers.

I don't know if that was something you were looking for, but I see my cards run at 75% of the tdp, and know I don't need to bump anything, but many people immediately assume you have to set it to max to get any more performance.

High percent gpu usage is not part of the wattage either, but can be affected if the wattage is at its max already, then it will scale your card back. I am on my phone, so I can't look at pictures or anything right now, but it sounds like you are capped with wattage possibly.
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 09:48:18 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Power limit. Your card has a 250w limit (per se) and it hits 250w, it is at 100%. Say you bump the voltage and the power limit to 106%, you will be able to pull 265w total instead of 250. If you were to use a modified bios, which can be risky, you could set the power limit/target higher, allowing the possibility of your car to run better.

Just an example: If your card is not hitting the power target, and you are pulling 205w, bumping the power target to 265w/106% won't really do much, just give bigger numbers.

I don't know if that was something you were looking for, but I see my cards run at 75% of the tdp, and know I don't need to bump anything, but many people immediately assume you have to set it to max to get any more performance.

High percent gpu usage is not part of the wattage either, but can be affected if the wattage is at its max already, then it will scale your card back. I am on my phone, so I can't look at pictures or anything right now, but it sounds like you are capped with wattage possibly.

no im aware that the card does use a certain amount of wattage, im trying to increase the voltage meter along with my gpu and mem clock offset, a.e overclocking my gpu :P As i started to see some artifacts i bumped the voltage meter a bit. but as i go over a 100mhz + gpu clock offset, the card starts to underclock itself drastically during benchmarks and some games, without any appearent reason, the temps are all fine
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 09:54:45 (permalink)
Ok so with the fan speed for some strange reason locked at lowest setting only displaying a N/A in the precision x software, my card goes over 80C and doesnt underclock??  Is this due to kboost or what. i thought maybe the card would downclock iutself anyhow when it hit 80C, oris it the gpu temp target which ddefines when the card starts to throttle down?
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 10:09:07 (permalink)
If you overclock and it fails, or throttles, it is unstable.

Some normal tips: the automatic voltage bump are in +13mhz bins. If voltage is going to increase per bios instruction, it will always bump every 13mhz. You should follow this as a guideline. +100 will use the same voltage as +104, so why not aim for +104 to start.

If you are going straight for +100, you are trying way too hard out of the gate. Start at +52, +65, +78, +91 to see how they react.

No overclock is guaranteed, so jumping straight to +100 may yield bad results while +91 yields amazing results, and only giving you 1-2 fps difference in reality.

If you are capped at 106%, consider a modified bios. Find one that has good reviews, and can get to 120%, 130% range allowing you more headroom.

As for the explanation, I just read "explain the power target to me" and did such, so my apology there. I am at work, so not being able to see charts and stuff is frustrating sometimes.
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 10:19:19 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
If you overclock and it fails, or throttles, it is unstable.

Some normal tips: the automatic voltage bump are in +13mhz bins. If voltage is going to increase per bios instruction, it will always bump every 13mhz. You should follow this as a guideline. +100 will use the same voltage as +104, so why not aim for +104 to start.

If you are going straight for +100, you are trying way too hard out of the gate. Start at +52, +65, +78, +91 to see how they react.

No overclock is guaranteed, so jumping straight to +100 may yield bad results while +91 yields amazing results, and only giving you 1-2 fps difference in reality.

If you are capped at 106%, consider a modified bios. Find one that has good reviews, and can get to 120%, 130% range allowing you more headroom.

As for the explanation, I just read "explain the power target to me" and did such, so my apology there. I am at work, so not being able to see charts and stuff is frustrating sometimes.

I have been steadily increasing the gpu clock, and its stable up to 98-99mhz+, but right after that it starts to underclock itself during benchmarks, even though the voltage stays the same, ive tried to increase the voltage meeter up even more but it just draws more power and still underclocks!?

i have possibly considered a modified bios, but does this remove my warranty on the card?

no worries about the last question, thanks for helpingme if you are actually at work ;)

another thing, i jsut recently(as i posted above) had some problems with precision x not diaplying correct information. i headed downstairs to fetch a glass of water, and when i came back up my pc had frozen up, with a buzzing noise coming from the speakers, i rebooted the machine and precisionx now works flawlessly?!? i dont even know anymore XD ugh
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 10:50:37 (permalink)
Running a modified vbios would void the warranty if you were to send the card in for RMA with the modified vbios loaded onto the card. If you flash the stock vbios back before RMA'ing your warranty will not be voided. Precision can be buggy at times, you may want to try out msi afterburner to see if it works any better for you than precision.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 10:53:05 (permalink)
*double post* first in a long time. Silly mobile phone.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 10:54:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ullert 2015/05/24 08:00:56
Do you ever get any driver crashes? If you do, you need to completely close precision after every single crash. This will reset precision, or it will hang because of the crash.

*deleted this portion. Lost signal and Sajin ghosted me.*

Is your cpu over clocked?

And yes, I am definitely at work. With the permission of my boss, I may get to share some pictures in the general forum later.

Try precision 4.2.1 linked below, see if it will allow you to go further. Remove precision x16 prior to installing, of course.
https://www.dropbox.com/s...onX_Setup_421.exe?dl=0
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 11:15:31 (permalink)
Sajin
Running a modified vbios would void the warranty if you were to send the card in for RMA with the modified vbios loaded onto the card. If you flash the stock vbios back before RMA'ing your warranty will not be voided. Precision can be buggy at times, you may want to try out msi afterburner to see if it works any better for you than precision.

Thanks for the warranty information.
and i might consider using another gpu software, though i really like precision x`s layout :l
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 11:21:18 (permalink)
You don't have to keep the older version I linked.. Just test it then delete it, lol.
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 11:22:07 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Do you ever get any driver crashes? If you do, you need to completely close precision after every single crash. This will reset precision, or it will hang because of the crash.

And yes, I am definitely at work. With the permission of my boss, I may get to share some pictures in the general forum later.

Try precision 4.2.1 linked below, see if it will allow you to go further. Remove precision x16 prior to installing, of course.

I dont get many driver crashes no, i think ive only once had the gpu driver fail, wich was ages ago anyway... i have gotten some nvidia errors in ftb (modded minecraft) which i recently installed.
I do get some strange things happening with my pc at different times, im not sure if it has anything to do with the gpu though. Things like my desktop background and mouse dissapearing, and that im not able to open any windows after a game suddenly closes during a loading screen. (mostly happens with CSGO)

No my cpu is currently not overclocked, but i have considered it.

I will have a go with the precision version you posted, but il have to wait until tomorrow afternoon as i have a big test at school tomorrow.
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/21 11:30:01 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
You don't have to keep the older version I linked.. Just test it then delete it, lol.

yeah, :)
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/24 05:20:25 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech

Ok, so i installed precision x 4.2.1 and ran some benchmarks with it for some reason my card starts to show these black dots and spots on the screen with less mhz overclock than the new software(i cant remember the technical name of those dots atm XD) 

i was able to run the +90 mhz overclock with the powertarget at 106%, but going further was almost impossible. I managed to reach +93 mhz with the overvoltage meter at +63mV (max)  without any stuttering, while i managed +105mhz on the newer version of precision with less voltage though with the annoyance of the card throttling a lot more.

The card throttled nwo as well, but only about 50-100 mhz instead of 300-400 mhz on the newer precision version. I believe that the FPS results stayed pretty close to each other on the two versions. So what now?? ;(
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21173
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/24 07:02:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ullert 2015/05/24 08:00:14
So now what? The card is obviously hitting its limit. It has given you all the signs over and over again. Be happy with what you have and stay within its limit.
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/24 07:39:47 (permalink)
ty_ger07
So now what? The card is obviously hitting its limit. It has given you all the signs over and over again. Be happy with what you have and stay within its limit.

Well i thought for sure that you could push a card so far that the temperature or artifacts would become the stopping point(im new to gpu overclocking, so pardon me), but its underclocking even if its way under its maximum temperature (65C at 80% fan speed) and that i havent even tested with higher voltages yet(with a custom vbios). The talk about custom vbioses has also caught my attention, so why would this be its maximum??  

Im not saying now that you are wrong ty_ger, because i dont know myself, but just to make sure could someone else confirm that my evga gtx 780 SC has hit its limits at a +90mhz overclock? :o
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21173
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/24 07:56:28 (permalink)
Custom video card BIOS voids its warranty. You can go faster by raising its power limit, increasing its voltage, or getting it colder. You decide. But, as it is, it seems to be trying to tell you where its limit is.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/24 07:56:45 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby ullert 2015/05/24 08:00:01
Gpu overclock are only guaranteed to the factory over lock that is applied with the bios as it ships from the manufacturer. You have hit a wall, and the card is telling you that.

Artifacts and thermal limits are not your only signs that you will have. Failures and throttling are a sign that you are trying to overextend your reach at this point.

I have two cards that I just sent off to a friend that were limited to under +50mhz. No matter what, they would not go further. It is just a fact of life that limits are there and stopping you

You could try getting another bios for the card to attempt to extend the limits, but you run the risk of bricking your card if you don't get the correct one. That would be the only thing that may push the wall you are at further away.
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/24 07:59:38 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Gpu overclock are only guaranteed to the factory over lock that is applied with the bios as it ships from the manufacturer. You have hit a wall, and the card is telling you that.

Artifacts and thermal limits are not your only signs that you will have. Failures and throttling are a sign that you are trying to overextend your reach at this point.

I have two cards that I just sent off to a friend that were limited to under +50mhz. No matter what, they would not go further. It is just a fact of life that limits are there and stopping you

You could try getting another bios for the card to attempt to extend the limits, but you run the risk of bricking your card if you don't get the correct one. That would be the only thing that may push the wall you are at further away.

ugh, well ok i will have to give in on this one then. Thanks a lot for all your help! :)
ullert
Re: Evga gtx 780 sc "stuck" at 966mhz without kboost 2015/05/24 08:03:19 (permalink)
Thanks for all the suggestions and help with solving my "issue" ;P

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile