EVGA

X79 FTW boot issue

Author
ViT07
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/23 05:20:44 (permalink)
I have a x79 ftw motherboard with a i7-3820 cpu that refuses to boot up. With the PSU plugged in all the standby lights are on as normal, but power-on produces a boot loop with no error code output. I tried 4 different psus (PCP&C, Seasonic gold/platinum, antec), 3 ram kits (one slot at a time), tried powering on without gpu, double checked the socket for damage, and I get exactly the same outcome.

Is this a bios problem or hardware failure? I can provide a video of the boot up process if that will help.

7 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: X79 FTW boot issue 2015/05/23 07:44:30 (permalink)
    A few things you could look at or try.

Double check all your connections.  24 pin, CPU power, Sata cables, etc...
    With the computer off, press and hold the "reset Cmos" button for about 5 - 7 sec.
    Try booting from a different BIOS.  You have 3 to choose from.

ViT07
    Re: X79 FTW boot issue 2015/05/23 08:45:16 (permalink)
    Tried all of those already since they are the obvious first steps in troubleshooting. All the bios selections give the same result.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X79 FTW boot issue 2015/05/23 09:28:06 (permalink)
    Have you tried removing all RAM? That should give you an error - and if it doesn't, the mobo is done for.
    ViT07
    Re: X79 FTW boot issue 2015/05/23 15:02:37 (permalink)
    I tried powering up without ram, and it still does the same thing. Although, while doing this test I tried a different approach which got the board to stay powered on at code "C". I held the clear cmos button while the board was receiving power, and while pressing the clr-cmos I switched off the psu then after 30 seconds switched it back on and then releasing the clr-cmos button. After this the power button did nothing but pressing the clear cmos button caused the board to power up with cpu fan spinning and the readout showing "C". It's exactly the same outcome with ram or without ram.

I checked the board for surface damage and it looks perfect except maybe a few joints have smaller than normal amount of solder. So you guys think the board is fried or is it worth replacing the BIOS chip and giving it another go?
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: X79 FTW boot issue 2015/05/23 16:37:57 (permalink)
    You can try calling up EVGA's tech support. If it isn't under warranty, you can always check with a friend that has a CPU that you could borrow to see if that is the culprit.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: X79 FTW boot issue 2015/06/04 05:31:04 (permalink)
    I had a similar issue on the DARK series. WHen i switched out my PSU, it went to normal. Are you overclocking?

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    rdrines
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: X79 FTW boot issue 2021/12/18 16:26:08 (permalink)
    My X79 installation worked well since it was built in 2012.  It has run nearly every day since it was built.
    Unfortunately, it failed just before Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. 

When powered on, the board shows the error codes as they process and halts at Code #69.

CPU i7-7900K never ran hotter than low 70c with an average temp near 60C.  All Disks are SSD, and each drive checks out when viewed on another device.

Power Supply is a Silent Seasonic Gold 1,000 watt unit that shows the output voltages of each label.
    CPU is water-cooled.  Board is in a large EATX silent case with 6-Noctua Silent Fans.  Two fans on the radiator, two fans pulling air in, and two more fans pulling air out the top.  The computer case is cleaned with a pressure nozzle every few months to remove dust.

I liked how well this build ran at processing data.  I now find myself wondering if it would be better to build something new or try to find a new X79 and or a new CPU.

For reference: Power was drained from the unit after keeping the buttons down after the setting's battery was removed.  On power-up, all the fans run & the water pump runs as normal.  I don't have a CPU spare to test to see if it is the cause.

Settings in the BIOS are all the default recommended settings.  Only BIOS set to 1 of its two options will enable power to the motherboard.

All the cables and power cables were pulled, and their connections were viewed with a 10x loop.  Nothing in the cables appeared to be wrong or corroded.  Is it possible this PCB likes Code # 69 because something on the board is buggered?

Are boards repairable?  If they are, who would do a repair?

Any and all ideas will be considered.
    Roger...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile