EVGA

Sudden white screen?

Author
ItsEthereal
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/01/07 19:24:42 (permalink)
Ever since I got the Acer XB280HK (4k, 60hz) monitor every so often the monitor would just light up completely white. It starts from the edges and slowly creeps to middle in about 1 1/2 seconds. I'm asking here if this has happened to anyone else with the 980 Sc/acx 2.0. Im running two monitors at the same time, both using a display port cable. This never happened with the other monitor i used as my primary. It also only goes white on the Acer monitor which is why i believe for it to be just a faulty monitor. Is this really a faulty monitor or is there something wrong with my hardware?

CPU:8350 (not OC'ed yet) 4ghz
MOBO: Asrock 990fx killer fatality
RAM: Kingston hyperx blue 8x1
PSU: rm750

CPU: fx-8350
GPU: EVGA 980 SC/ACX
MOBO: Asrock 990fx Killer fatal1ty
PSU: Corsair RM-750w

7 Replies Related Threads

Tropickz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 735
    Re: Sudden white screen? 2015/01/07 19:32:02 (permalink)
    Have you tried each monitor independently ?

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Sudden white screen? 2015/01/07 20:16:40 (permalink)
    I would check your cables, even if they are New.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

ItsEthereal
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Sudden white screen? 2015/01/07 21:13:59 (permalink)
    Yes, ive tried the monitor by it self and still same problem. Though it only happens about a couple of hours away from each other. Also, i've tried using other cables and still same result. :/

CPU: fx-8350
    GPU: EVGA 980 SC/ACX
    MOBO: Asrock 990fx Killer fatal1ty
    PSU: Corsair RM-750w

cdc-951
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 520
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Sudden white screen? 2015/05/23 00:08:20 (permalink)
    It is the monitor, call Acer and they will repair it for you, I am having the same issue and the acer level 2 support told me it is a defect and they have been seeing a lot of these cases. Sadly you and me are the un lucky one's to have this issue :*( and this is my 3rd time RMAing it....

1st time--- Usb 3.0 ports were not working

2nd time--- They sent me this monitor back with THE WORST back light bleed ever and scratched up the screen and all over the monitor (Horrific thing to see)

3rd time--- white screen and I will send it back to them on the 5/25.......

4th time??? would not be surprised if something else went wrong

I paid 750 when It came out...... and dealing with all this for that price tag is horrific.... make sure to cover the bezel and anything that is can be scratched with some tape!!!!!! since their
    engineers are sooo rough with these monitors! Good luck, let me know how it goes with Acer and I will comment back on here with my 4th or 56th result XD

GG Acer.... GG
    MasterGohan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Sudden white screen? 2015/05/23 01:32:11 (permalink)
    The creep to white tends to start from the top of the display and works down to the bottom in a sweep, just like the vertical refresh.

-LCD's inherently transition to white whenever pixels aren't updated for a good deal of time.

In my past experience it's usually is something like the scaling circuitry dying, and not the panel itself..  You could always try a shorter cable or heavily shielded one, yet I don't think it'll make a difference honestly.  Most displays will report signal loss if it's off long enough for something like this to happen, if they're properly working.

If you have an IR thermal probe, you might see if you can find any hot-spots on the display, if you do (because 4KHD scaling is alot of work) --- it may be possible to cool the monitor down.  Should it be heat related.

EDIT: It may suck to do while gaming, yet for testing literally I would take out a box fan and blow it on the back of the display.  If the display starts acting stable, then at least you'll know what the problem is if you attempt homebrew modification later on (eg, cutting the back casing open and installing a cooling fan over the scaler).

Of course, always RMA if under warranty first.

EDIT 2: Can the fade to white occur during motion / updating of pixels?  Or for instance are you primarily seeing it when sitting on the desktop for a display?  I mainly just am curious if the panel's image "freezes" for that second and a half.
    post edited by MasterGohan - 2015/05/23 01:58:41
    cdc-951
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re: Sudden white screen? 2015/05/23 02:25:41 (permalink)
    It is the board in the monitor ^^^ I can confirm this is the problem since I called Acer and this is a semi wide spread issue, we can consider his issue to be answered now @MasterGohan
    MasterGohan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Sudden white screen? 2015/05/23 05:05:15 (permalink)
    cdc-951
    It is the board in the monitor ^^^ I can confirm this is the problem since I called Acer and this is a semi wide spread issue, we can consider his issue to be answered now @MasterGohan

Yeah, I had problems with a 1600p 30" Gateway brand monitor just like what was described here.

In my case a screen freeze + whiteout intermittently.  I RMA'd, got it replaced, and my second, third ... fifth, RMA's all failed.  Eventually on the 6th time (getting tired of paying the return shipping) I gutted my display's case, placed RAM heatsinks on the scaler board, and mounted a 120mm fan blowing cool air in the back to help ventilate it.

-That was the only permanent solution to stop it from baking.  Later on the screens were removed from the market and stopped being sold due to the defect.  On a few of the times that this started happening, I actually smelled that burning electronics scent too.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile