EVGA

EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
columbia93
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/22 16:32:57 (permalink)
I had an 8800 GTS card that I recently sent to EVGA for replacement. You sent me 02G-P4-3755-KR. I have a Gigabyte MoBo GA-P35-DS3L. It has PCIe 16 and the card says PCI3 3.0 x 16. I've read that 2.0 is backward compatible but I don't know about this. Can you please tell me if this card is compatible and if it isn't what evga will do?

34 Replies Related Threads

TimP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 136
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/22 21:17:12 (permalink)
    Hello columbia93,

We do apologize for any issues with your replacement 750 Ti. Based on your motherboard, unless there is recent BIOS update that supports UEFI and Maxwell architecture, the graphics card is most likely incompatible. As we do understand this may have caused issues, please contact us anytime 24/7 at 1-888-881-3842 and we can look into setting up another RMA to get a working card for you.

columbia93
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/22 22:59:37 (permalink)
    The last update for this board was several years ago - I believe 2009/2010 - so I doubt very much it supports this card. I paid $21 to send my defunct card back - please tell me I won't have to pay another $21 to send this incompatible card back.

My HD failed around the same time I'd decided to return my old video card so I've been without a computer for 2 weeks. I have spent hours and hours today trying to get it up and running - lots of updates due to its age - so I'm too tired and now frustrated to do anything with it tonight. I'll call in the morning.
    columbia93
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/24 20:46:13 (permalink)
    I contacted your technical support people at the number you gave me and was told that, as long as I could get an image, I would be fine and would not need to return the card. Taking him at his word, I proceeded tentatively and installed the card, along with the operating system, with updates. I did shut down the computer last night (Saturday) because we were starting to experience severe lightning and, while I have a backup battery with surge protector, I thought to be safe. FYI, we never experienced a loss of power. When I tried to power up this morning....nothing.  I repeatedly tried to power up - confirming everything was tight and made contact, changed the outlet used, etc, and was never successful. I removed the PSU and replaced it with another one I'd had and still nothing. I had an older GPU that I'd used when I was preparing to return the 8800 so I know it is working, but the PC did not start up. (What I mean by no power is no power, no fan, no beep, no light, nothing.)

I am really upset now. I specifically asked the evga tech if it would harm my motherboard by installing that card and was repeatedly assured it would not. I did not experience any power issues prior to this, including no lags in time, etc., and with this occurring within a very short time from installation of the card, I have to believe that the card killed my motherboard. 

When I called evga a few weeks ago and began this process, my GPU wasn't acting up that much, just some pieces of pull down menus here and there that did not appear in games. If I'd known this would happen, i would not have returned it at this time. The tech I talked to at that time didn't ask any questions, just said that "we" should get that replaced because of its age. I don't recall how detailed the RMA was but, if there was any question as to whether or not a 7 year old GPU could be replaced without issues, a phone call or email would have been greatly appreciated.

As it stands now, I have a computer that will not work. It is old enough that I cannot just replace the motherboard without replacing the CPU and RAM. I do quite a bit of media recording & editing, etc., so a quad core like I have now is preferable if not necessary. A CPU/MoBo will run about $330-360 - add $70+ for RAM - all of which I cannot afford, so I now have no computer. Please, please tell me what I'm supposed to do now...
    post edited by columbia93 - 2015/05/24 20:48:50
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/24 21:32:04 (permalink)
    Correlation does not imply causation.  It is much more likely that the lightning storm damaged your PC or that something else just simply failed.  You have had many different failures lately, right?
    columbia93
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 11:02:53 (permalink)
    Pray tell - how did the lightning storm cause any damage when it never caused an outage or surge? As I said, I turned it off. I also have it plugged in to an APC backup battery with surge protection. There is absolutely no reason to state it being likely caused by lightning.

Failures - I had a graphics card that wasn't causing any problem other than little bits of pull-down menus showing up now and then and NEVER in any games.
    I had a 3 year old seagate hard drive that failed, just like the one it replaced that I'd had for about 4 years. It is a known fact that seagate hard drives are known to fail within 1-3 years.

Pattern of failure? I don't think so.
    post edited by columbia93 - 2015/05/26 11:06:18
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 12:21:04 (permalink)
    Call EVGA on the phone. Asking here doesn't really accomplish anything. If you ask here, you will get opinions from non-EVGA employees. As far as opinions go, it is my opinion that it is much more likely that a lightning storm would cause a power issue. There is no other reason why an otherwise tested and proven-to-work card would cause your computer to fail while the computer was off.

Let me summarize:
    You tested the card. It worked fine without issue.
    You turned off your computer.
    There was a lightning storm.
    The computer would not turn back on.
    The card is the cause of the failure? I doubt it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/05/26 12:31:52
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 12:44:49 (permalink)
    Really fun question for you.... What else have you plugged into the UPS to make sure IT did not get fried in the lightning storm?

No power, 99% of the time, has nothing to do with a part that doesn't provide power anywhere in the system. If it were the gpu, everything would power up, then hang... The gpu doesn't normally provide the sorcery to stop power flow to the rest of the system.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/05/26 12:51:38
    columbia93
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 13:45:11 (permalink)
    What do you people not understand! There was a lightning storm. There was no surge or brownout or blackout. The computer was turned off. The computer was plugged into an APC backup system with surge protection. I do not understand your obsession with an event that had NOTHING to do with what is going on with my computer!

Let ME summarize.
    1. I installed the new GPU & HDD and it worked okay.
    2. By okay I mean that I actually ran a test on the HDD to make sure it was working without defect. It passed.
    3. I do not turn off my computer generally but powered it down a little more than a day after the installl because of the lightning storm - THE LIGHTNING DID NOT CREATE ANY PROBLEMS BECAUSE IT DID NOT CAUSE A SURGE OR OUTAGE AND MY PC IS PLUGGED IN TO A BACKUP BATTERY WITH SURGE PROTECTOR. It seems that you don't understand that lightning happens with a lot of storms without causing problems, AS IN THIS CASE!
    4. When I turned it on the next day I got the black screen to start Windows normally, Safe Mode, Last Known Config. I chose last known config. It started to go then just lost power. I unplugged, plugged back in, started up, it started and then lost power. Then no power.

This system worked fine until I put an incompatible GPU into the system so it seems absolutely fair to question whether it is the reason my PC won't start. There is much more correlation to the GPU than the lightning because the lightning has ZERO correlation!

Please read my posts in their entirety before commenting. If you had, you would quit harking on a lightning storm that was not a factor. You, Scarlet-Tech, would also know that I tried another PSU in the system without any result.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 14:53:05 (permalink)
    Earlier, you never said anything about it turning on and crashing. And turning on again for a bit and then dieing. All you said is that you tried turning it on after the lightning storm and it did nothing. Hard for us to read your mind...

Anyway, CALL EVGA on the PHONE. Arguing here is pointless. You are getting yourself worked up over nothing. Our opinions make absolutely no difference in regards to what EVGA has to say on the subject or what they plan to do to solve your problem.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 16:24:36 (permalink)
    columbia93
    What do you people not understand! There was a lightning storm. There was no surge or brownout or blackout. The computer was turned off. The computer was plugged into an APC backup system with surge protection. I do not understand your obsession with an event that had NOTHING to do with what is going on with my computer!

Let ME summarize.
    1. I installed the new GPU & HDD and it worked okay.
    2. By okay I mean that I actually ran a test on the HDD to make sure it was working without defect. It passed.
    3. I do not turn off my computer generally but powered it down a little more than a day after the installl because of the lightning storm - THE LIGHTNING DID NOT CREATE ANY PROBLEMS BECAUSE IT DID NOT CAUSE A SURGE OR OUTAGE AND MY PC IS PLUGGED IN TO A BACKUP BATTERY WITH SURGE PROTECTOR. It seems that you don't understand that lightning happens with a lot of storms without causing problems, AS IN THIS CASE!
    4. When I turned it on the next day I got the black screen to start Windows normally, Safe Mode, Last Known Config. I chose last known config. It started to go then just lost power. I unplugged, plugged back in, started up, it started and then lost power. Then no power.

This system worked fine until I put an incompatible GPU into the system so it seems absolutely fair to question whether it is the reason my PC won't start. There is much more correlation to the GPU than the lightning because the lightning has ZERO correlation!

Please read my posts in their entirety before commenting. If you had, you would quit harking on a lightning storm that was not a factor. You, Scarlet-Tech, would also know that I tried another PSU in the system without any result.

ok.. I am going to ask again, since you don't seem to want to answer... DID YOU TEST THE UPS TO SEE IF IT IS GIVING YOU ANY ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  since you want to get worked up, as Tyger mentioned, maybe answer my question rather than going back to the PC which I DID NOT MENTION!!!! UPS = (An uninterruptible power supply, also uninterruptible power source, UPS or battery/flywheel backup, is an electrical apparatus that provides emergency power to a load when the input power source, typically mains power, fails. Just so you don't get POWER SUPPLY UNIT [PSU] Confused again)..  So you, Columbia93, should reread my statement as I typed it.  Notice that not once have I mentioned the PSU until now.

Also, see, I can type in caps also.  If you want help, make sure you don't come off as rude, or you will quickly get ignored.  WE are not tech support.. YOU  should be contacting tech support.  WHEN you do, make sure you tell them everything, and stop giving one single detail at a time.  Tell them everything.  IF the computer booted with the new GPU and was working, and NOW your ENTIRE computer won't boot, remove the GPU and see if anything changes.. Wait, you did that.  Try connecting your Computer STRAIGHT to the wall, REMOVE the UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply, see definition above). 

So YOU, Columbia93, can either act like we are trying to help you, or you can continue to act like you are and will probably get ignored by the ones trying to help.

PLEASE be detailed and not summarize.  Did you test the Battery Back Up Surge Protection UPS system?  If so, did it give any erratic behavior that may cause you other issues?  I have YET to see where you said you tested the UPS or tried bypassing it to see if it is having an issue.
    columbia93
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 16:45:50 (permalink)
    Well, considering that EVGA was closed over the long weekend, THAT is why I posted here - AND someone from EVGA answered me earlier. I thought to look here to see if there were answers first. AND, if you'd actually read my posts, you would see that I DID talk to EVGA on the phone. Geez! You sure do make a lot of assumptions without availing yourself of too much available info.

BTW, it didn't crash when I turned it on. It went to the screen AS THOUGH it had crashed. There was no crashing. There was no forced shut down. The computer shut down normally the night before. The next morning when I booted it up, that is when I got the black screen - NO CRASHING. Then it simply lost power after I chose the last known good config.  I didn't detail the black screen because it was such a small thing in comparison to the power having died that I didn't even recall it until then. Like most users, I am not a computer genius. Because I built this system (7 years ago) I have a basic to fair understanding of the parts but I've no formal education on the whys and hows. I'm sure someone interested in helping me would ask for further information instead of rushing into their own obviously erroneous conclusions.

As for getting worked up, you need to reread your posts as well as Scarlet-Tech. You both were pretty rude in accusing me of frying my system from lightning because I must be too stupid to know any better. I'll take my diploma from Columbia down because I obviously had no business receiving it. I said it wasn't lightning and the comments became even more rude and aggressive, pushing in my face that I must not be telling the truth. The only thing you were interested in was NOT reading the post completely and drawing your own conclusions in spite of my repeated denials. In the future when you guys offer help to someone on the forums, thoroughly read the posts - someone took the time to write it, respect it. As for your wise crack about not being able to read my mind - lucky you!
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 17:03:54 (permalink)
    Did you unplug the pc from the UPS and plug directly into a wall socket And try to boot it up? If so, what happened?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 17:10:50 (permalink)
    I read what you wrote. You left a lot of stuff out and are slowly revealing it after our rude allegations. I know that you spoke to EVGA. I know everything you wrote. But I also know that yiu haven't spoken to EVGA since this latest incident occured. Or at least you have not yet told us that you spoke to EVGA about this latest incident and have not told us what EVGA said about all of this.

Let us know what EVGA says. Good luck.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/26 17:11:56 (permalink)
    columbia93
    Well, considering that EVGA was closed over the long weekend, THAT is why I posted here - AND someone from EVGA answered me earlier. I thought to look here to see if there were answers first. AND, if you'd actually read my posts, you would see that I DID talk to EVGA on the phone. Geez! You sure do make a lot of assumptions without availing yourself of too much available info.

BTW, it didn't crash when I turned it on. It went to the screen AS THOUGH it had crashed. There was no crashing. There was no forced shut down. The computer shut down normally the night before. The next morning when I booted it up, that is when I got the black screen - NO CRASHING. Then it simply lost power after I chose the last known good config.  I didn't detail the black screen because it was such a small thing in comparison to the power having died that I didn't even recall it until then. Like most users, I am not a computer genius. Because I built this system (7 years ago) I have a basic to fair understanding of the parts but I've no formal education on the whys and hows. I'm sure someone interested in helping me would ask for further information instead of rushing into their own obviously erroneous conclusions.

As for getting worked up, you need to reread your posts as well as Scarlet-Tech. You both were pretty rude in accusing me of frying my system from lightning because I must be too stupid to know any better. I'll take my diploma from Columbia down because I obviously had no business receiving it. I said it wasn't lightning and the comments became even more rude and aggressive, pushing in my face that I must not be telling the truth. The only thing you were interested in was NOT reading the post completely and drawing your own conclusions in spite of my repeated denials. In the future when you guys offer help to someone on the forums, thoroughly read the posts - someone took the time to write it, respect it. As for your wise crack about not being able to read my mind - lucky you!

Whelp, since you still have not once answered my question, you obviously do not want to address EXACTLY what I said.  I simply asked you in the first post if you had tested your UPS.. which you still have NOT answered.  I thoroughly read your post, hence why when YOU said that it wouldn't do ANYTHING.... here let me highlight that, before you add another important detail in (see the bold part):

columbia93
    I contacted your technical support people at the number you gave me and was told that, as long as I could get an image, I would be fine and would not need to return the card. Taking him at his word, I proceeded tentatively and installed the card, along with the operating system, with updates. I did shut down the computer last night (Saturday) because we were starting to experience severe lightning and, while I have a backup battery with surge protector, I thought to be safe. FYI, we never experienced a loss of power. When I tried to power up this morning....nothing.  I repeatedly tried to power up - confirming everything was tight and made contact, changed the outlet used, etc, and was never successful. I removed the PSU and replaced it with another one I'd had and still nothing. I had an older GPU that I'd used when I was preparing to return the 8800 so I know it is working, but the PC did not start up. (What I mean by no power is no power, no fan, no beep, no light, nothing.)

I am really upset now. I specifically asked the evga tech if it would harm my motherboard by installing that card and was repeatedly assured it would not. I did not experience any power issues prior to this, including no lags in time, etc., and with this occurring within a very short time from installation of the card, I have to believe that the card killed my motherboard. 

When I called evga a few weeks ago and began this process, my GPU wasn't acting up that much, just some pieces of pull down menus here and there that did not appear in games. If I'd known this would happen, i would not have returned it at this time. The tech I talked to at that time didn't ask any questions, just said that "we" should get that replaced because of its age. I don't recall how detailed the RMA was but, if there was any question as to whether or not a 7 year old GPU could be replaced without issues, a phone call or email would have been greatly appreciated.

As it stands now, I have a computer that will not work. It is old enough that I cannot just replace the motherboard without replacing the CPU and RAM. I do quite a bit of media recording & editing, etc., so a quad core like I have now is preferable if not necessary. A CPU/MoBo will run about $330-360 - add $70+ for RAM - all of which I cannot afford, so I now have no computer. Please, please tell me what I'm supposed to do now...

... So, when I asked if you had checked your UPS, which again, you failed to address.... really, you're are getting upset at me?  I was rude in return for you being that way.  Hopefully you get it worked out. When you decide to give each part of what happened, in a detailed account, after checking the UPS like I have said times now, then I may consider attempting to help more.  Until then, good luck.   That highlighted portion above is why i have asked if you tested the UPS... CAN YOU PLEASE BYPASS THE UPS TO SEE IF ANYTHING CHANGES???

P.S. Noone has said they were an expert.  Each post tells a different story ever so slightly.  We want to help.  EVGA was closed for 1 day, because I spoke with their support myself, over the phone, and RMAed a GPU myself after midnight Friday night... Saturday afternoon it was approved.  if you would like proof that they were not closed, I can gladly provide it.

Here:  Another one... Weird enough:

wmmills
    Did you unplug the pc from the UPS and plug directly into a wall socket And try to boot it up? If so, what happened?

I am not the only one addressing the UPS.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/05/26 17:24:52
    xarot
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/27 02:48:47 (permalink)
    What kind of surge protector...only for the power side? What about Ethernet for instance, does it go through the surge protector too? In case your Internet connection utilizes phone copper line etc. It's very common in my country that people use surge protectors and they think they are safe, but in case of a lightning strike it goes directly into the motherboard through phone line -> ADSL modem -> ethernet -> motherboard..

Core i9 7980XE, Rockit Cool nickel IHS on water
    Asus Rampage VI Extreme
    64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200
    PALIT RTX2080TI on EK block
    Custom Water Cooling with 360+480 radiators + D5 pump
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo
    Corsair AX1500i
    Intel 750 1.2 TB PCIe
    Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB
    Win 10
    jeffredo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/28 09:01:41 (permalink)
    My sister recently had an issue that sounded very similar.  Her PC sat dead for a month before I finally went over to pick it up and take it to my home to try to repair it. Plugged it directly into the wall in my house and it fired right up.  Took it back to hers, tried it in the surge protector it was previously plugged into and it wouldn't come on.  She swore up and down that it was O.K. because she had "other things" plugged in it that worked (lamp, cable DSL router, monitor).  I took the computer to the other side of the house, plugged it in a bare outlet and it fired right up.  The next day she went out and bought a new surge protector and all was fine.

O.P., I'm not saying that's what your problem is.  Its just a possibility that you might want to check out (so don't go off on me please).
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/05/28 09:30:31 (permalink)
    Notice the posting stopped after being told multiple times to check the UPS? Could that be a hint of embarrassment, possibly?

Hopefully he figured it out either way. I know it really irks my nerves when someone gets bent out of shape because they don't read what someone suggests, and then proceeds to rant like the suggestion was bad. I appreciate everyone else continuing to attempt to help someone that seemed extremely ungrateful after misreading something twice.
    columbia93
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/12 18:19:00 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech, you sweet thang! Not embarrassed - just not interested and hadn't been back. Not much to say to people who will not read and can only accuse erroneously. I just happened upon your post in my email account....so thought I'd stop by since my last post and clear things up since you are so rude. I didn't see your post above mine - I'm guessing you wrote it about the same time I was writing mine, since the last post I'd seen was Tygers. You have a very bad tendency toward jumping to conclusions and then running with them. I didn't know you'd responded but that didn't stop you from posting SEVERAL attacks on me making awful statements and accusations. Perhaps you need to stop and think before you become so belligerent. Don't assume...looks bad on you.

I'm not stupid, either. Of course I plugged it in elsewhere. I'm not going to try different PSUs and then NOT try different plugins.

Funny how you say you hate when someone rants after being told something. I ranted BECAUSE you and your friend kept insisting/ranting that lightening HAD TO BE the reason and how stupid I must be and such a liar. YOU two were unable to read, even though you seemed to be delusional about that, because I told you REPEATEDLY that lightening did not strike. Do you really not know what precautionary means?
    Your repeated attacks were uncalled for and I don't appreciate the names, all the while pretending like you are being such a big help. There was never anything helpful about anything you wrote. Whelp? Really? Next time you think you are being helpful, consider you might not be and work from there instead of your soap box/pedestal. Pay closer attention and keep out the attitude that you hit me with immediately. Patronizing isn't helpful. And don't assume that because you don't have all the facts, someone must be lying or stupid. Maybe they are just looking for direction because they don't know what's going on and find Forums a crap-shoot and of little use for most situations.

As for EVGA, I got a message that they were closed over the long weekend. That is what I was basing my decision on. It doesn't really matter what you did or didn't do. That isn't even the point though, is it?

rs0577
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/22 18:35:50 (permalink)
    Not to throw salt in a wound but I recently(last week) RMA'd a 8800GTS and got a 750ti as replacement and have the exact motherboard and the 750ti works without issue in it.
    RulerOfKnight
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/23 09:20:03 (permalink)
    I hope it works out..
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/23 11:12:12 (permalink)
    surge protectors do not last long and being low cost I recommend replacing them every couple of years as the hardware does take a beating over time

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/23 19:01:58 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, it was easy to get caught up in an argument with the author of this thread when he provided a very unbelievable story, vague information, and conflicting replies. In general, it is very easy to lose credibility when you change your story; especially when the original story seemed quite unlikely. I hope it worked out for him. I still don't believe his full contradictory tale.
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/26 16:43:04 (permalink)
    He didn't even attempt to update to his latest BIOS revision, he just doubted it would work and decided not to attempt it. What a waste of an upgrade.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Hurin
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/26 19:17:31 (permalink)
    • The initial post expresses concern about a PCI-E 3.0 card working in a motherboard without PCI-E 3.0.
    • The fact is that a PCI-E 3.0 card will indeed work just fine in a PCI-E 2.0 slot.  I've done it personally several times.
    • The eVGA response actually brings up a completely separate issue:  Apparently, some non-UEFI motherboards wouldn't work with a Maxwell-based GPU.
    • The original poster then had a bout of bad luck and his computer stopped working.
    • The original poster then states that he is "very upset," feels mislead, and "has to believe that the card killed my motherboard."
    I'm going to be as direct as I can. . . you have had a bit of bad luck.  There is nothing about putting a PCI-E 3.0 video card in a PCI-E 2.0 slot that would kill your motherboard.  There is nothing about a BIOS incompatibility that would kill your motherboard.  There is no magical "OMG, I'm in the wrong slot and I don't understand the BIOS so I'm going to somehow reflect the power sent to me back into the motherboard and fry it" code in the video card.  :)

Since you've tried multiple power supplies, it's correct to start wondering about the motherboard.  But, first. . . What other central points of failure could explain the replacement power supply also not working?  Bad power cable (if you used the same one each time?).  Is the power button on the case properly connected both at the button and where it makes contact with the motherboard power button pins?  The latter especially could have been nudged loose.  Finally, I'd disconnect the power supply from all components and then use the "short pins to turn on psu" trick just to confirm that it will indeed power up.  Yes, bad luck happens and you might have yet another bad PSU.  You have to rule such things out.  Especially before you start accusing a company of killing your computer while citing only circumstantial evidence that is contradicted by basic facts (there's nothing about that video card going in that slot that should/would have fried your motherboard).

--H

P.S.  The hostility you're getting is because you were making unfair/ill-informed accusations.  You went on and on about how eVGA somehow did this to you.  I can tell you, reading your posts, I was thinking:  "If I were a tech at eVGA, I'd want to tell you how misguided you are."  But since they are in customer service, they can't do that.  Only we can.  And since this is a public forum, that's what you're hearing.

post edited by Hurin - 2015/06/26 19:22:56
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/26 19:29:52 (permalink)
    PCI Express is fully backwards and forwards compatible.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    rs0577
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/06/30 20:50:43 (permalink)
    The Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is not a PCIE 2.0 motherboard. It's PCIE 1. It's hit or miss if a card will work in my case it works just fine. Perhaps in the OP's case it didn't. Perhaps his board is the older revision board than mine, who knows. But PCI Express is not 100% backwards compatible as stated in this thread.

I don't doubt the OP and I'm not sure why others do, perhaps just to troll. But some of the advice given on these forums by users is very poor and laughable.

The fact is the OP had a lifetime warranty video card, if EVGA could not replace it with one that worked with his motherboard that was not the OP's fault. The lifetime warranty does not state anything about you'll be screwed after so many years.

My 8800GTS was lifetime warranty as well and replaced with a 750ti, it works in my board thankfully. Me personally don't want to upgrade the system, it serves it's purpose just fine for what it's used for. It's not a "gaming" rig. It's nice however EVGA carries our lifetime warranties over to the replacement product, great job EVGA.
    post edited by rs0577 - 2015/06/30 20:54:02
    Hurin
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/07/01 10:09:09 (permalink)
    They gave him a better/equivalent card which is standard and acceptable for a card so old.  It should work on his motherboard.  Just as it does in your case on the same model board.

The reason "others doubt" the OP is because he ignores all the above, arrived at unfounded conclusions, and assigned blame based on bad premises and those premature conclusions.  Then got huffy with people trying to point this out and lead him in any other direction than "eVGA magically fried my motherboard by doing something totally appropriate that isn't capable of actually frying my motherboard. . . and I had a lightning storm."

It seems you're bending over backwards to cut him some slack when he should be the one cutting it for others (especially the eVGA staff that he all but accused of frying his motherboard when they almost certainly did not).  To say that it's "hit or miss" when every indication (including your very own experience) seems to indicate that it is not seems tendentious at best.

rs0577
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/07/01 20:53:13 (permalink)
    It could be hit or miss, can you prove that the card works on a launch version of the board? Or on revision 1 or 1.2 or 2.0? I have revision 2 it worked, perhaps the OP has revision 1 or launch version and it doesn't work.
    Hurin
    Re: EVGA replaced old card with new & not sure it's compatible with MoBo Need help ASAP! 2015/07/02 07:39:47 (permalink)
    There is also a slight possibility that we're all living in the matrix contrary to all common sense and known facts.  Where I'm from, you don't get indignantly angry and throw accusations around based upon remote possibilities that fly in the face of expected behaviors, documentation, and already demonstrated experience.

A PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 card are intended to work in a PCI-E 1.0 slot.  I can't be any more clear than this. . . you are now both not only assuming that it didn't work (despite the OP stating that it actually did, briefly). . . but then also positing that something that is supposed to work not only failed to do so but then also magically fried his motherboard.  And you're basing this and his accusations of wrongdoing on what?  From what I can see, all you've got is "anything is possible."

What you're doing here is insisting that someone prove a negative.  Which is in itself, arguing in bad faith.

At this point, I'm assuming he has figured out whatever went wrong (see above about checking power button connections, etc.) and no longer even believes his own silly accusations.  But we cant' be sure.  He's gone quiet before.
    post edited by Hurin - 2015/07/02 07:48:31
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile