EVGA

Issues with SATA speed and statup/restart

Author
xp.0nex
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/20 21:03:36 (permalink)
Just recently installed a Z97 Stinger WIFI and ran into two issues.

1. The first issue I am experiencing is intermittently when I start or restart the machine I am getting a "A disk read error occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart". Once I get that system message. I proceed with the ctrl+alt+del, the system restarts, and everything is back up and works fine. Next couple start and restarts after the initial system message all work fine. Then suddenly, it does it again.

I am using a Samsung 850 Pro as my primary boot drive. The Samsung 850 Pro had been used in my previous setup with no issues.

Things I have done.
1. BIOS is configured for AHCI.
2. BIOS detects the Samsung 850 Pro SSD everytime.
3. BIOS is update to the latest (1.06)
4. Ran Memtest on RAM and no errors were detected.
5. I have ran CHKDSK and System File Checker (SFC) and no issues were found.
6. I have ran Bootrec /FixMBR and /FixBoot and procedures were completed successfully.
7. SATA cables are new (ones that came with the board)
8. SMART tests complete with no issues.
9. SSD is plugged into the first SATA Port on the MB. (Other SATA Ports are all occupied with mechanical HDD's)

2. The second issue I am experiencing is when I install the Intel SATA drivers Samsung Magician will report that SATA speed is only running as SATA II speeds. When I uninstall the drivers and use the Microsoft ones, Samsung Magician will report that SATA III speeds.

Never had any of these issues on my previous board. Just not sure what else to try.

1 Reply Related Threads

TimP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 136
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Issues with SATA speed and statup/restart 2015/05/21 16:44:41 (permalink)
    Hello xp.0.nex,

We do apologize for any issues with your Z97 Stinger motherboard. Please make sure you are using a SATA 3 cable and try testing the SSD in another SATA port to see if you are having the same issues. You may want to try the main OS SSD by itself as well. Also, if possible, please try testing with another power supply and re-seating all the power connections for your devices and motherboard.

If you have any further issues or questions, feel free to contact us 24/7 at 1-888-881-3842 or by email at support@evga.com.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile