EVGA

EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/06 16:53:02 (permalink)
NordicJedi
One thing people should keep in mind is that this is a brand new product for EVGA, and obviously a limited market for where it's being offered.  If it's successful, then you may see future iterations with wider availability and a different, and probably longer warranty.  If it turns out that these kits don't sell well, or any other hundreds of reasons that new product launches fail within so many years, then EVGA may not continue to offer memory.  If the latter happens, then a lifetime warranty won't be fair to customers since the company will eventually run out of stock of replacements.  

Examples?  How about power supplies?  The original SR-2 PSU was a decent rebranded psu from Antec, but after several years, EVGA partnered with other OEM's and now has a great line of its own.  Yes, the newer power supplies offer a shorter warranty, but the quality is significantly higher.  Then again, there's the inDtube, which had a LLW, but you won't typically find them around anymore. 

In other words, I see this first launch as a sort of "test the waters" scenario to see how it goes.  There is a lot of good competition in the market, and if all of those companies have LLW, then it wouldn't make sense to compete long-term with a significantly shorter warranty.

eh, testing the waters or not, its pretty much a given when buying RAM that its a lifetime warranty. I couldn't find one DIMM supplier listed on Newegg that wasn't limited lifetime.  As far as the warranty for PSU's you're kinda comparing apples to oranges since most PSU brands pretty much offer the same warranty range like EVGA does. 

I'm a fan of EVGA and their service because they've handled all my issues greatly but they're not doing themselves coming out of the gate with RAM that has a substandard warranty compared to all other competitors. Testing the waters or not they've limited themselves to a bathtub then.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
awalleyeguy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3444
  • Ribbons : 12
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/06 17:37:59 (permalink)
 The short warranty of 3 years on a item that all other companies offer limited lifetime warranty on, will insure this product will not succeed.
Evga's other products offer similar or better warranties than competitors of similar products.
knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/06 20:51:05 (permalink)
Agreed, 3 yrs for ram is too weayk, and what's makes this ram so different from "value" ram, and just shows knowledgeable customers evga isn't backing up their product, and where a few sticks of dimms last most builders a few system builds.

It's sad that a majority of American businesses forget pos(point of sell) and overhead, ill give evga credit on customer service, but thats only part of the picture. Theses dayz are hard, and it makes more than "oh, that's Shinny" "or, our bad" to keep ur self in business....

Lack-luster is getting to be too desensitized these dayz...
JoeyC
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 1703
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/07 06:50:20 (permalink)
Good morning everyone,

We do appreciate the feedback regarding the three year warranty on our memory. We don't anticipate users needing to use the warranty, in the event that a replacement is needed the process is very convenient. After troubleshooting if a user feels that the memory is defective, they simply take it back to their local MicroCenter for replacement. No packing the product, shipping or waiting for a return shipment. 

Please keep in mind we are here 24/7 for any troubleshooting or questions about the memory. 

Rate my service by going to: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/07 16:24:31 (permalink)
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

We do appreciate the feedback regarding the three year warranty on our memory. We don't anticipate users needing to use the warranty, in the event that a replacement is needed the process is very convenient. After troubleshooting if a user feels that the memory is defective, they simply take it back to their local MicroCenter for replacement. No packing the product, shipping or waiting for a return shipment. 

Please keep in mind we are here 24/7 for any troubleshooting or questions about the memory. 

Simple solution is for evga to raise the warranty to match industry standard for memory modules. You say customers can take it back to microcenter, does that mean customers  can no longer submit a RMA directly with EVGA. It's nice that evga doesn't anticipate users needing to use the warranty but that's not worth anything if microcenter refuses to replace the product due to warranty expired.

seta8967
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/08 02:54:26 (permalink)
I would like to test some of the ram, but local pickup only :( isolating alot of customers
Stephenk291
FTW Member
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/08 04:19:44 (permalink)
MSim
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

Simple solution is for evga to raise the warranty to match industry standard for memory modules. You say customers can take it back to microcenter, does that mean customers  can no longer submit a RMA directly with EVGA. It's nice that evga doesn't anticipate users needing to use the warranty but that's not worth anything if microcenter refuses to replace the product due to warranty expired.

Basically this is what should happen. If you don't expect anything to happen, then bump up the warranty. Seems like a small price to pay to match industry standards and to get business. Seems like quite a few people would pull the trigger and buy them if you made that simple change.  For me when it boils down to it even if you're cheaper I'm still going to go with the RAM that's covered for as long as I own it and that's something that is well worth $15-20 difference in price.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

JoeyC
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 1703
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/08 08:18:34 (permalink)
MSim
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

All warranty replacements will go directly through MicroCenter and not EVGA. We are here 24/7 for any technical support or questions. MicroCenter will offer warranty replacements on the memory for three years from the date of purchase. The warranty still falls under the normal terms found here: http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

We are monitoring this thread, any feedback is being reviewed. Also most kits are now available at your local MicroCenter. Click on the "Buy Now" button for availability and pricing: http://www.evga.com/articles/00928/EVGA-High-Performance-Memory/ 

Rate my service by going to: http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/08 10:19:46 (permalink)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

BondTech
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/12 12:01:53 (permalink)
The wife pickup two sets of the 2400 8gig for our gaming rigs and they seem to do pretty good. I no longer get BSOD since I have been running this memory for a week now, with overclocking. We will do some test and let everyone know how they do! The wife wrote a quick blog about them on "dramazmainvoice" if interested..

Attached Image(s)

Danpapua
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 07:33:25 (permalink)
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

It is nice you guys are monitoring the feedback probably the most important thing is you are cutting out customers by letting Microcenter only sell them as and in-store exclusive. When I saw the Modules I was going to buy them because I need to upgrade my RAM but I can't. I may have to buy a different brand even though I don't want to. I am currently running on 8GB but I am doing a lot of tech support and I have programs using up my 8Gb of RAM now.

Stephenk291
FTW Member
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 08:02:21 (permalink)
Danpapua
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

It is nice you guys are monitoring the feedback probably the most important thing is you are cutting out customers by letting Microcenter only sell them as and in-store exclusive. When I saw the Modules I was going to buy them because I need to upgrade my RAM but I can't. I may have to buy a different brand even though I don't want to. I am currently running on 8GB but I am doing a lot of tech support and I have programs using up my 8Gb of RAM now.

considering its rebranded memory..you can buy gskill and then make an evga sticker?

Danpapua
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 08:05:48 (permalink)
Stephenk291
Danpapua
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

considering its rebranded memory..you can buy gskill and then make an evga sticker?

Technically all memory is "Re-branded" very few of the companies that sell RAM actually make the RAM. The buy it premade from companies like Micron and then put their own Heatsink and stick on it. I personally do not doubt that the RAM is high quality.
Stephenk291
FTW Member
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 08:07:02 (permalink)
Danpapua
Stephenk291
Danpapua
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

Technically all memory is "Re-branded" very few of the companies that sell RAM actually make the RAM. The buy it premade from companies like Micron and then put their own Heatsink and stick on it. I personally do not doubt that the RAM is high quality.

Yes I'm aware my point was you don't need to hold out over not being able to get RAM with an EVGA sticker.  It seems MicroCenter also had the price wrong as now its up to $119 when their ad a week ago when I made my thread showed it at $99.  The price jump doesn't help matters either considering cosair has 16GB kits with a lifetime warranty at the same price point.

Danpapua
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 08:09:25 (permalink)
Stephenk291
Danpapua
Stephenk291
Danpapua
EVGATech_JoeyC
Good morning everyone,

Yes I'm aware my point was you don't need to hold out over not being able to get RAM with an EVGA sticker.

I have been buying EVGA for probably 10 years now and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't wait. I have had issues with other brands but never with EVGA.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 10:14:30 (permalink)
Danpapua

I have been buying EVGA for probably 10 years now and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't wait. I have had issues with other brands but never with EVGA.

If were talking about Memory, i haven't had any issues with other brands. It seem pointless to wait and receive a lower warranty. Who waits for a 3yr warranty product, when you can buy a product with the same specs and comes with a limited lifetime warranty any day of the week.

Stephenk291
FTW Member
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 10:17:03 (permalink)
MSim
Danpapua

If were talking about Memory, i haven't had any issues with other brands. It seem pointless to wait and receive a lower warranty. Who waits for a 3yr warranty product, when you can buy a product with the same specs and comes with a limited lifetime warranty any day of the week.

I gave up trying to convey that very point lol.  Brand loyalty is fine but making a wiser purchase should trump that.

Danpapua
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 10:22:50 (permalink)
I am a work at home tech. No big companies because most of the companies that do tech support(BestBuy etc) really do not know what they are doing. I took a rig in with one bad DIMM, I knew what was wrong, into about 15 stores only 2 got it right. about 5 of them said it was the Hardrive. The rest couldn't decide if it was the CPU (LOL) or the Motherboard. I have thrown away RAM from every major company. I have had G.SKILL and a Corsair Modules go bad after a month. I am currently using Crucial Ballistix sport Modules. I have found Crucial, which is a subsidiary of Micron, to be one of the best in stability and reliability. Also I have done research the Modules that match this most companies are asking $150+shipping.
Stephenk291
FTW Member
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 10:27:19 (permalink)
Danpapua
I am a work at home tech. No big companies because most of the companies that do tech support(BestBuy etc) really do not know what they are doing. I took a rig in with one bad DIMM, I knew what was wrong, into about 15 stores only 2 got it right. about 5 of them said it was the Hardrive. The rest couldn't decide if it was the CPU (LOL) or the Motherboard. I have thrown away RAM from every major company. I have had G.SKILL and a Corsair Modules go bad after a month. I am currently using Crucial Ballistix sport Modules. I have found Crucial, which is a subsidiary of Micron, to be one of the best in stability and reliability. Also I have done research the Modules that match this most companies are asking $150+shipping.

Not sure what I'm supposed to say in regards to your work experience but okay.

Danpapua
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 10:33:05 (permalink)
Stephenk291
Danpapua

Not sure what I'm supposed to say in regards to your work experience but okay.

I am just saying I have been working in the industry for a long time and I have done my research. CAS is not the end all stat for Memory. The clock speed along with the CAS determines the actual Latency of the module. DDR4 has larger latencies but is faster because they have higher clocks. A lot of what people are annoyed about is actually unfounded because they don't actually know much about how RAM and memory works.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/18 11:33:03 (permalink)
With all that experience, you should know the value of limited lifetime warranty. 

EVGA told legitreviews “To keep inline with our other products… graphics and MB are all 3 year.”  Funny how they didn't mention select evga power supplies have 5-10yr warranty. 

HRPuffnstuff
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1321
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/19 18:23:03 (permalink)
MC sells it online if you want it but not at those sale prices http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966965/Desktop-Memory.  For a few dollars more you can get corsair with a lifetime warranty.  When it comes to memory corsair has consistently been the best I've ever used and I'm currently running 16gb of vengeance 2400.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

rkinslo
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/05/25 08:16:25 (permalink)
I would also like details as to who's IC chips my new evga ssc ddr3 2400 memory has please this would be helpful  . when overclocking ram you need to know which IC's are being used.  I have know complains with the ram its very quick and XMP worked perfectly, I saw pictures of the IC's but they didn't have any part #.   
VGAMASTER198
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: EVGA Memory spotted on MicroCenter. What is this?! 2015/06/18 14:57:02 (permalink)
Not that bad of a price for high speed ram.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver error."

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile