PSU or something else?

Author
kwomo
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/05 10:29:31 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

My 1 year old Supanova 1200 P2 started buzzing a few weeks ago.  During the last week or so I've been getting sudden reboots (during gaming, web browsing, on the desktop).  Sometimes I can use the PC and it wont reboot at all, other times I'll press the power button and it wont even post before it reboots (which it will then do over and over again).  I'm in the process of moving house at the moment and my PC is watercooled so I haven't had time to remove components and reseat them.  I did remove the PCI-e cables from the GPU's (still plugged into the PSU) which seems to help getting the PC to boot into windows but I still have been getting reboots with them unplugged.  Event viewer is showing "Level = Critical, Source = Kernel-Power, Event ID = 41, Task Category = 63" which I have read on this forum is caused by an unstable CPU overclock but my CPU is running stock.  I have a PSU tester on the way but it won't be here until next week.  You think the PSU could be causing this? Seems coincidental to me it started buzzing and now this is happening, but seems strange that sometimes the PC will run fine.

Thanks.

3 Replies Related Threads

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: PSU or something else? 2015/05/05 10:38:48 (permalink)
    kwomo
    Hi Everyone,

My 1 year old Supanova 1200 P2 started buzzing a few weeks ago.  During the last week or so I've been getting sudden reboots (during gaming, web browsing, on the desktop).  Sometimes I can use the PC and it wont reboot at all, other times I'll press the power button and it wont even post before it reboots (which it will then do over and over again).  I'm in the process of moving house at the moment and my PC is watercooled so I haven't had time to remove components and reseat them.  I did remove the PCI-e cables from the GPU's (still plugged into the PSU) which seems to help getting the PC to boot into windows but I still have been getting reboots with them unplugged.  Event viewer is showing "Level = Critical, Source = Kernel-Power, Event ID = 41, Task Category = 63" which I have read on this forum is caused by an unstable CPU overclock but my CPU is running stock.  I have a PSU tester on the way but it won't be here until next week.  You think the PSU could be causing this? Seems coincidental to me it started buzzing and now this is happening, but seems strange that sometimes the PC will run fine.

Thanks.

That sounds like the PSU is on it's way out. I'd call EVGA tech support and talk to them first, then see about an RMA 

http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: PSU or something else? 2015/05/05 10:39:34 (permalink)
    you really should list all the components in your system that you are running, for people to better help you diagnose the issue.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    kwomo
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: PSU or something else? 2015/05/05 11:00:33 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    you really should list all the components in your system that you are running, for people to better help you diagnose the issue.

You're right I should have.
    CPU - 4790k
    MB - Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7
    Ram - 16gb 2400 DDR3
    GPU - 2 x Sapphire Tri X 290

The system also has 2 ssd's, 1 hdd, 1 fan controller, 2 x D5 pumps, 17 fans, wifi card (PCI).
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile