New GeForce 980 Classified errors

Author
andypandy7
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/04 12:14:10 (permalink)
Hi,

I'm really hoping I can get some help here.

I bought a brand new pc a couple of weeks ago, which I built myself, and it included an EVGA GeForce 980 Classified GPU.

5 out of 5 games that I've tried playing have had errors with random crashes. At first I thought maybe it was the games, because they're notoriously buggy, but now I believe something else is wrong. Games like Medieval 2, that I've never had issues playing on my older laptops, are crashing on my new pc.

When I play GTA V with my friends, my pc is the only one that crashes with random messages. Again, I know a lot of people are having issues with GTA V, but I just can't believe that literally NONE of the games I play work. If the game does show an error message when it crashes, it's always "Unexpected/Unknown error".

From just about an hour ago, when GTA V randomly crashed on me during a mission, I noticed these logs in the Windows Event Viewer:

20:12:02 - WARNING:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Then, just 13 seconds later, the game crashes, and this is logged:

20:12:15 - Error:

Faulting application name: GTA5.exe, version: 1.0.350.1, time stamp: 0x5540c256
Faulting module name: GTA5.exe, version: 1.0.350.1, time stamp: 0x5540c256
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001133400
Faulting process id: 0x968
Faulting application start time: 0x01d086939cbd00c7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
Report Id: 1769d220-f289-11e4-8261-fcaa14985a19
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Are they related?

Just to quickly give a bit more info, in Medieval 2, the game will crash after a few rounds. The only way for me to get out of the game then, is to ctrl alt delete, and restart the pc. One thing I noticed is that when I have a youtube video playing on my 2nd monitor, the crash happens much sooner. Not sure if that's a clue...

Anyways, please tell me if there is something wrong with the GPU :(

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

6 Replies Related Threads

ssiperko1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re: New GeForce 980 Classified errors 2015/05/04 12:17:14 (permalink)
    The latest drivers rere put out to help GT V.
    Do a clean install.

SS

Z97 Classified
    4790k at 49 core/44 ring 1.290v/1.20v
    EKWB X360 kit +XTX240&XTX360 with 20 Mass Cool fans
    Lamptron FC5 Fan Controller V3
    32 GB G.Skillz at 2400 10-11-11-24-1T 
    2x 1TB EVO 840
    2 TB Hybrid Seagate hd
    ASUS Blu-Ray RW
    EVGA Titan X SC under EK block/BP
    EVGA 1200 P2 ps with green CableMod sleeved cables
    Caselabs Mercury S8 case
    Acer XB270HU 1440 g-sync monitor
    Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media Speakers
    Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones
    Razer Death Adder mouse
    Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard
    MadCatz Panther XL usb modded gaming joystick
    Win 7 Pro/Win 8.1 dual boot
    I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time. 

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: New GeForce 980 Classified errors 2015/05/04 12:19:45 (permalink)
    You will also need to list your entire system specs/ details

First place to start is a BIOS update/ check
    2nd - proper driver cleanup & reinstall

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    andypandy7
    Re: New GeForce 980 Classified errors 2015/05/04 12:46:47 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    You will also need to list your entire system specs/ details

First place to start is a BIOS update/ check
    2nd - proper driver cleanup & reinstall

System specs:

And..the pc is only 2 weeks old. Do I really need to reinstall? :( How do I do a driver cleanup?

By the way, a tiny bit more info that might offer a clue:

Someone suggested I check to make sure my power settings were on High Performance, which they weren't - they were on balanced. I changed it and tried to force a Medieval 2 crash, to see if it would still happen. This entailed launching a youtube video on my 2nd screen, while playing the game on the first screen. Right away, after I entered combat, the game froze up. When I hit ctrl alt delete (because nothing else was working), I clicked to open Task Manager. Usually, the task manager opens in a way that I can't see/reach it, because it's behind the frozen game, so I end up having to reboot. This time, however, I could actually see the Task Manager, and click on it. Before I had time to react, the game went back into fullscreen, and started working again from where it had frozen! Weird. I exited the game, and the "Unexpected error" message popped up.

At least I didn't have to reboot...but does that help find the issue?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: New GeForce 980 Classified errors 2015/05/04 14:23:43 (permalink)
    Sounds like your video card is unstable and needs to be downclocked to gain stability. Use msi afterburner to downlock the core and memory by 105MHz then retest your games to see if it helps improve the stability of your games. If the downclocking helps improve stability then you will need to RMA your video card as it's defective.

Here is how to do a proper clean driver install...
    1. Uninstall Precision X/Afterburner if installed, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles if asked.  Reboot the PC now if you had to uninstall PX or Afterburner.
    2. Download & save graphics driver 350.12 to your desktop. Run the graphics installer located on your desktop once the download is complete. 
    3. Select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options except the physx system software, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point please select both 3D options, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.

andypandy7
    Re: New GeForce 980 Classified errors 2015/05/04 15:00:41 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Sounds like your video card is unstable and needs to be downclocked to gain stability. Use msi afterburner to downlock the core and memory by 105MHz then retest your games to see if it helps improve the stability of your games. If the downclocking helps improve stability then you will need to RMA your video card as it's defective.

1. Uninstall Precision X/Afterburner if installed, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles if asked.  Reboot the PC now if you had to uninstall PX or Afterburner.
    2. Download & save graphics driver  to your desktop. Run the graphics installer located on your desktop once the download is complete. 
    3. Select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options except the physx system software, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point please select both 3D options, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.

Hi! Thank you for the help.

I downclocked 105mhz as per your instructions, and it appears there is a big boost in stability. As mentioned earlier, usually when I have a youtube video playing on one screen and Medieval 2 playing on the other, the game crashes in the first battle. Now just to test, I managed to play a few rounds and have a few battles without any issues what so ever. I guess it's still maybe a bit early to tell for sure, so I'll give it more of a test tomorrow with some of the other games I was having issues with, but...if stability has clearly improved since the downclock, is it basically for sure then that the video card is defective?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: New GeForce 980 Classified errors 2015/05/04 15:30:49 (permalink)
    andypandy7
    Sajin

2. Download & save graphics driver  to your desktop. Run the graphics installer located on your desktop once the download is complete. 

if stability has clearly improved since the downclock, is it basically for sure then that the video card is defective?

Yes. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile