EVGA

SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :(

Author
cyraeth
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/20 10:36:41 (permalink)
I would like to apologize in advance for the terrible English you are about to read right now.

Right, so am currently experiencing an issue with several games regarding the SLI GPU usage of my GTX 680s, (more precisely BF4, GTA 5, Metro last light). I’m using EVGA Precision X to monitor the data (also used MSI Afterburner to see if there was a bug in the first mentioned software).

The monitoring softwares tell me that the usage rarely surpasses 65% in each car, which is kind of annoying considering that I would like to obtain as much power as I can from my video cards.

Here is a list of all the things that I’ve already try, making it easier for you guys to help me out:
- Clean install of drivers (GPU / Motherboard)
- System update for all relevant components and software.
- Set high priority power (maximum performance) in the NVidia control panel
- overclocked CPU up to 4.5GHZ (stable)
- Check temperatures and Fan speeds
- Registry clean up, and CC clean up.
- play with the in game graphic settings (the usage barely varies, even in low settings)
- Utilize Precision X's K-Boost (didnt even worked)
- Remove the video cards, and put them back again (in different order)
- Check the SLI cable for visible damage
- I tried lowering textures due to limited Vram but that was not the issue
- Run Unigine Heavens benchmark and compare to previous result. * Strangely during this benchmark my GPU usage is very good (around 90-95% both cards)
- I can ramp up the usage a bit by turning resulution scaling up, but thats not an "ideal" solution since it also affects the FPS
- went back to the previous driver version (still have the issue)
- Vsinc is off (in game and in Nvidia Control)

I really don’t know what else to do, and honestly I think I didn’t had this problem with BF4 a while ago (not sure though since I don’t remember very well what the GPU usage was a month ago)

I would really appreciate any help you can provide :)

EDIT: I’ve been using a Monitoring software for the past year and it is now that the GPU usage caught my attention, meaning that i don’t think I had the problem before.

Specs:

3770k OC 4.5 GHZ ATM (Stable)
2x EVGA GTX 680 2GB SLI 
2x 8gb HyperX Ram
850w cooler master power supply 
1TB barracuda HD
120gb SSD (boot drive only)
MSI z77 military class III motherboard

post edited by cyraeth - 2015/04/20 12:16:48

21 Replies Related Threads

cyraeth
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/24 09:42:46 (permalink)
    Bump, anyone please?

Im kind of desperate, even thinking on dumping some money into a new power supply. :/
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/24 11:20:15 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/24 12:05:16 (permalink)
    Seems you have done every other logical step to be considered.    I hate to recommend reinstalling windows just for that issue.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    cyraeth
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/24 12:51:18 (permalink)
    Yeah I was expecting to do that sooner or later, was hoping for some light of hope that may add to the solution though, without having to go through a complete reinstallation.
    digideath
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 05:22:11 (permalink)
    I have ALMOST an identical setup to the op. I had an issue very much like this and fixed it without having to reinstall windows. Same with the other linked thread.

You all missed something pretty obvious...

Check yer pci express speeds on both cards. They should both be 8x. If one is 2x/4x and the other is 8x then post back and ill tell you how to fix :)
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 09:20:12 (permalink)
    digideath
    I have ALMOST an identical setup to the op. I had an issue very much like this and fixed it without having to reinstall windows. Same with the other linked thread.

Check yer pci express speeds on both cards. They should both be 8x. If one is 2x/4x and the other is 8x then post back and ill tell you how to fix :)

I doubt this is the issue. SLI requires both cards to be running at least x8 before you can SLI.
    rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 09:43:02 (permalink)
    Which drivers have you tried? I see you tried a new driver and went back to the previous one you were using, but it might be worth checking out different drivers too.

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

digideath
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 13:57:55 (permalink)
    Sajin
    digideath

I doubt this is the issue. SLI requires both cards to be running at least x8 before you can SLI.

Wrong. EXACTLY that happened to me with both my cards just last year. Gpuid showed one at 2x and the other at 8x. It took me a while to figure out why it was bottlenecking and that's exactly what was causing it. It was down to a borked NVidia driver installation that badly bugged windows out. Windows literally locks at that from then on no matter how many times you reinstall drivers. I found a way to fix it but.

Edit: For example. You do know there are tools out there. Dirty hacks that allow you to place one card in a 16x standard pci e slot and one in a 4x slot to gain sli on a non sli board? One card runs at 8x the other at 2x yet they still sli together. Google "hypersli". It is definatly possible for the cards to still sli without pci e speeds matching.

post edited by digideath - 2015/04/28 14:07:11
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 14:08:00 (permalink)
    digideath
    Sajin
    digideath

Wrong. EXACTLY that happened to me with both my cards just last year. Gpuid showed one at 2x and the other at 8x. It took me a while to figure out why it was bottlenecking and that's exactly what was causing it. It was down to a borked NVidia driver installation that badly bugged windows out. Windows literally locks at that from then on no matter how many times you reinstall drivers. I found a way to fix it but.

Edit: For example. You do know there are tools out there. Dirty hacks that allow you to place one card in a 16x standard pci e slot and one in a 4x slot to gain sli on a non sli board? On card runs at 8x the other at 2x yet they still sli together. Google "hypersli". It is definatly possible for the cards to still sli without pci e speeds matching.

Not wrong. Under unmodified drivers you cannot enable SLI with one card running at x4 and the other at x8 or x16. Yes, I know about the hack, hypersli is the older version, the newer version is called differentsli.
    digideath
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 14:14:29 (permalink)
    Yeah but then how do explain the fact that in my own system just last year, on a fully compatible sli motherboard, one card locked at 2x the other at 8x yet sli was still enabled and functional using a standard NVidia driver?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 14:16:23 (permalink)
    digideath
    Yeah but then how do explain the fact that in my own system just last year, on a fully compatible sli motherboard, one card locked at 2x the other at 8x yet sli was still enabled and functional using a standard NVidia driver?

You told me why... video driver corruption.
    digideath
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 14:29:38 (permalink)
    Yep and that's exactly what im saying to the op. Im suggesting he has the same issue. And to correct you there. Not video driver corruption. A windows bug. It may have been triggered by a driver installation just a couple of days before BUT the bug happens in windows itself. That's why no matter how many times you do a clean install afterword's, it wont fix it. You have to address the issue in windows itself. Its also what bottlenecks the gfx because, as you should know, you're only as fast as yer slowest card and at 2x being the lowest, there's no way the bandwidth provided can keep up with the true speed of the cards.

Also to further add. It's not just corruption or bugs that cause it. The drivers literally can do that without hacks or bugs, intentionally. Read here. This review demonstrates the losses and gains of dropping your card down a slot into a lower speed pcie slot and it clearly demonstrates a standard NVidia driver locking the cards at different speeds. People do this for many reasons. The main one being better airflow in the system. Its a little dated but I can find you a more up to date demonstration if I spend longer looking.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/16/sli_cfx_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x16x8#.VT_5c1hFCUk
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 14:58:09 (permalink)
    So how do you fix it then?
    digideath
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/04/28 15:24:26 (permalink)
    Sajin

That's actually very easy :)

First you need to understand that the bug happens in a section of windows known as the "device mapping table". Corrupt values get locked in there and remain permanent till you physically either force it to rebuild itself or by changing hardware.

Easiest way to do it?
    Full clean uninstall of drivers to start with.
    Enter safe mode and delete the device/devices.
    Swap out cards if you have a spare. If not. If sli then pull one card. Install the other in a slot you haven't used before. If one card, just swap slots.
    Boot windows.
    Clean install drivers.
    Clean uninstall drivers.
    Delete all gfx devices in safe mode again.
    Put yer config back to the way you had it before.
    Clean install of drivers.

That should be it. Fixed. That's what fixed it for me. Much easier than reinstalling windows.
    cyraeth
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/05/12 18:49:36 (permalink)
    Thank you for all your answers, sorry i coulnt reply sonner but i was out of town, ill try digideath solution and report back to you guys if its something viable.
    cyraeth
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/05/12 18:58:44 (permalink)
    Both Cards say X8. ill post some gpu-z pics

cyraeth
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/05/12 18:59:44 (permalink)
    dammit, heres a direct link instead

card 1         

card 2         

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/05/12 19:05:30 (permalink)
    Here is how I set my two cards in SLI Mode.
     Note the GPU Clock Offset setting for each card.
    You can click on image for a larger view.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

vermin8or
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/05/19 07:46:04 (permalink)
    the very last resort is reinstall OS.
    reinstall of gpu drivers on a clean install option.
    I suggest checking to see if energy saving is enabled in your bios, if it is disable it. and test your equipment again.
    its strange none mention this in any forums concerning power drops.
    remove all overclocking software. I use 660x2 and have no issues concerning frame drops/lag/stuttering etc: including GTA5
    check your psu is giving your system enough power.http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

ASUS Z97-PRO i5@3.5ghz ...32g Kingston 1600 @ 2400mhz...43" Toshiba hdmi smartv...evga gtx  660 sc liquid cooled...case corsair graphite 600i...cooler corsair h100i...os ssd Samsung 840evo 250gb... PSU corsair RM1000

vermin8or
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/05/19 07:48:44 (permalink)
    digideath
    Sajin

That's actually very easy :)

First you need to understand that the bug happens in a section of windows known as the "device mapping table". Corrupt values get locked in there and remain permanent till you physically either force it to rebuild itself or by changing hardware.

Easiest way to do it?
    Full clean uninstall of drivers to start with.
    Enter safe mode and delete the device/devices.
    Swap out cards if you have a spare. If not. If sli then pull one card. Install the other in a slot you haven't used before. If one card, just swap slots.
    Boot windows.
    Clean install drivers.
    Clean uninstall drivers.
    Delete all gfx devices in safe mode again.
    Put yer config back to the way you had it before.
    Clean install of drivers.

That should be it. Fixed. That's what fixed it for me. Much easier than reinstalling windows.

if you like wasting a lot of time to solve a simple problem then yes go for this idea.

ASUS Z97-PRO i5@3.5ghz ...32g Kingston 1600 @ 2400mhz...43" Toshiba hdmi smartv...evga gtx  660 sc liquid cooled...case corsair graphite 600i...cooler corsair h100i...os ssd Samsung 840evo 250gb... PSU corsair RM1000

cyraeth
    Re: SLI GPU USAGE BELOW 75% in several games - Please help :( 2015/06/01 13:57:45 (permalink)
    UPDATE: Full re-install of windows didnt worked, nor did digideath suggestion.

Im think on Flashing the BIOS of my video cards.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile