Author
Binar
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 150
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/02/16 22:59:17 (permalink)
http://www.newegg.com/Pro...x?Item=N82E16835186086
Is anyone using it? Not sure when it was released but the cooler is very popular with European gtx690 owners . The manufacturer claims 26% lower temps over the stock cooler and the users are reporting a drop in temp from 75-80 c to 60-65c after the cooler was installed. The reported drop in temps is somewhat consistent with what the manufacturer claims.
Looking for some user reviews before shelling a Benjamin for it.
Anyway do you guys have any YouTube videos on how to remove the stock gtx690 cooler and reaply the thermal paste? Would I void the warranty if I do so?

14 Replies Related Threads

1lostlobster
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2013/02/21 16:32:54 (permalink)
    Binar

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...x?Item=N82E16835186086
    Is anyone using it? Not sure when it was released but the cooler is very popular with European gtx690 owners . The manufacturer claims 26% lower temps over the stock cooler and the users are reporting a drop in temp from 75-80 c to 60-65c after the cooler was installed. The reported drop in temps is somewhat consistent with what the manufacturer claims.
    Looking for some user reviews before shelling a Benjamin for it.
    Anyway do you guys have any YouTube videos on how to remove the stock gtx690 cooler and reaply the thermal paste? Would I void the warranty if I do so?

Now that the Titan reviews are out and I know I'm going to be waiting until EVGA releases the SC edition and actually has stock, I'm ordering the 690 turbo fan. Almost every site in EU that has a review on the turbo fan loves it. I did find one site that said it was almost as noisy under load, but it still knocked 10+C off the temps which is fine by me..

I'm ordering mine this weekend, I'll report back how it goes. As to removing the HS off the 690, go download the turbo690 pdf instructions, it has a really good breakdown on taking the HS off so you can try re-applying your thermal paste.

Binar
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2013/02/21 21:07:03 (permalink)
    Buy it off Ebay..newegg is the seller as well..This way you earn some Ebay bucks. Same product, same warranty same company.
    Also, if you are into youtube, make a video man. There's no video on how to replace the fan on gtx690. Ya, I'll follow the PDF instructions (thank you) but not everyone knows of this PDF.  I'm sure the video will have many views.
    Keep us updated on your progress....What temps do you have now? 
    post edited by Binar - 2013/02/21 21:11:11
    Niriano
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2013/02/22 00:59:30 (permalink)
    Unfortunately for me it wasn't best choice to change from stock coolers to Arctic. It was all good for a while, temp were excatly the same as it was stated on site, but what was most important it was really silent. I've changed the cooler excatly the same way it was presented on some reviews. But after about 6 days of running in Quad and playing Far Cry 3 my screen gone black and after restart second card couldn't be recognized. No RMA for it. Well I was like fu** this I still have the other card and with 2 of these I had more problems than benefit any ways. But lol 2 days ago another card died but this time in Crysis 3 so I quess it's time to change for Titan. By the way anyone would like to see 2 690's pawned by wood axe photo? ;-)
    Spezialeinheit
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2013/02/23 15:51:11 (permalink)
    Hello,

I also use the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 690 and my gtx 690 died also after cooler change. That was my gtx 690 after the changing:

I warn you all this Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 690. I now know 4 people whose GTX 690 have died by this cooler.
    post edited by Spezialeinheit - 2013/02/23 15:53:42
    drjaaaaa
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2014/06/16 07:18:48 (permalink)
    Sorry for bringing up the old post but looks like people are having problem with this cooler installation.

the thermal pads I have circled, you have to make sure that pads do not touch inductors, if you look closely, top thermal pad is not aligned straight so it sticks out and which will come in contact with inductors when mounted. 

if you look at the twin turbo installation instruction, step 6, it asks you to put tape vertically on inductors so that thermal pad will not touch inductors directly.

best way is to not put those thermal pads on the cooler but on the card itself so you know they are not touching inductors. the pads are simply too big/wide for the size of mosfets. so cut them to right size and put them on the card, not on the cooler and then mount it. it's best to cut pads individually and put on mosfets instead of one long line. if you look at the original cooler and thermal pad, it doesn't use one long thermal pad but instead use small individual ones on those.

if you do that, you don't even need to use the insulation tape, hence why some reviews say you don't need them.

i been using this for few months and don't have any issues or problem. a lot of people say they installed it perfectly but you have to pay close attention to those.

just my few cents. could be wrong but i installed twice and both are still running fine.
    Spezialeinheit
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2014/06/16 08:18:40 (permalink)
    Thank you drjaaaaa for your Information!

Yes, i also think this is the main issue... The pads also stretch out when the cards are hot...

Thank you!

rulezz
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2014/09/20 09:04:17 (permalink)
    drjaaaaa thank you for your help , I got issue with my card fan blade broken so I ordered gtx 690 arctic and after saw many reviews iam really worry about lose mine too , I lost many things and I cant hundle lose this card too , I will take your advise and put pads on card it self better but what I know only those red Dots

can you please put the red dots too on what should I put too ?

also about inductors is better to use insulation tape on each one lonely better cover them all by same one ?
    Chuck H.
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 341
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2014/09/20 22:03:09 (permalink)
    I used one on my 690 for a long time until I got my ek block, the 690 is still a really great card I love it..

MSI MEG X570 Unify | 3900X | Sabrent Rocket 2TB | Corsair 1500i | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | Custom H2O 

rulezz
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2014/09/20 23:09:37 (permalink)
    Chuck H.
    I used one on my 690 for a long time until I got my ek block, the 690 is still a really great card I love it..

yea finaly i can feel quiet , the problem my card fan blades broken and rma refused it due to user wrongs -.- . i want to ask you what performance was with arctic cooler ? also you use 0.5mm thermal pads or 1 mm ?? , also about insulation tapes can i use them around and upper inductors? like this photo... the red arrows i mean to put insulation tape on the red arrow for each one individually

waiting your help really need it  
    post edited by rulezz - 2014/09/20 23:13:58
    drjaaaaa
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2014/09/22 12:16:07 (permalink)
    You are not putting the insulation tape on top of those inductors

You have to put it vertically so thermal pads won't touch them. (see pic yellow line)

I didn't even use insulation tape because I made sure I thermal pads won't touch inductors even after expanding.

Remember when you put the cooler on, thermal pads will be squeezed and expand out and potentially touch inductors. Or when it gets hot, it also tends to expand as well. I think you have those pads way too close to inductors. They are not touching now but looks like it will when you mount cooler and use it.

Also, that's way too much thermal compounds. You just need a rice sized in the middle and it will spread on its own.

Oh and place where you put ???, don't think you need anything there.

Again, I could be wrong and I'm just sharing based on my experience. It worked for me without any problems.

Thanks.

hass21
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2015/04/02 00:01:52 (permalink)
    Ok so I registered an account because I just encountered an issue with this bad boy.

I purchased a couple of these coolers for 2x 690s a while back and just yesterday got around to installing them (finally had the house to myself and the quiet/patience needed to do this properly).

I followed the instructions on this forum after first following the instructions with the product (even wore gloves). I'm afraid that the thermal pads may have indeed touched the inductors and my card may be permanently damaged from the first go around. Though there is nothing visibly damaged when I removed and reinstalled the heatsink (I've done 4 re-installs now). Everything appears perfect. I've installed aftermarket coolers as a PC tech for almost 9 years now and I've never had a card do what this one did.

Here's the latest install. I've removed the insulation tape because I don't think it's a risk anymore and it was getting sloppy by this time. The behavior of the card hasn't changed with or without it. This is pre thermal paste as well. I use the rice method. By this time I ran out of the manufacturer stuff and I'm using Tuniq TX-4, but I digress. And sorry for glare.

What it does now is odd. The DVI port at the top of this image works fine and boots basically normal (see below). Its neighbor however will only *sometimes* boot and when it does there are horizontal lines across the screen and artifacts everywhere. I'll get a photo if its helpful. When it finally gets into Windows it looks like the old 8 bit color days and the resolution is set to 640x400.
    The plot thickens. In either case the first GPU listed in Device manager has a Code 43. Which seems to be Windows lingo for "it dunnitworknomore".

So, help. Is there something I'm obviously doing wrong? Because this install has turned a man who once thought himself computer savvy into a confused rage demon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention an important fact. It worked beautifully for about 3-5 minutes during which time I was watching its temps play Dragon Age Inquisition. Got to about 40C on GPU1 and the computer froze and rebooted into this situation. I know what most likely happened, I'm just hoping someone has a magic answer that doesn't end in tears. Arctic Cooling should really correct their instructions in the future. Those thermal pads are egregiously wrong at best and catastrophically expensive at worst.
    post edited by hass21 - 2015/04/02 00:13:15
    drjaaaaa
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2015/04/02 06:43:08 (permalink)
    hass21
    I'm afraid that the thermal pads may have indeed touched the inductors and my card may be permanently damaged from the first go around. Though there is nothing visibly damaged when I removed and reinstalled the heatsink (I've done 4 re-installs now). 

hass21
    Its neighbor however will only *sometimes* boot and when it does there are horizontal lines across the screen and artifacts everywhere.

hass21
    Windows it looks like the old 8 bit color days and the resolution is set to 640x400.

hass21
    It worked beautifully for about 3-5 minutes during which time I was watching its temps play Dragon Age Inquisition. Got to about 40C on GPU1 and the computer froze and rebooted into this situation

You pretty much know what happened. Like you said, chances are it probably got damaged the first time you put the cooler and once it's damaged, not much you can do.

The behaviors you described are weird because first one happens when card is OC'd too much, second one happens when it's damaged or improper/faulty driver, and third one, I have no idea...it could be mixture of everything or just from a damaged card.

Arctic Cooling is known for their sloppy instructions...I've been a fan of their coolers since 1st generation but their latest coolers (IV series) are a bit of pain to install.

Anyway, sorry to hear that.
    hass21
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2015/04/02 13:14:27 (permalink)
    Yea I knew whatever happened probably occurred during the first install. My guess is the thermal pads on the mosfets expanded after a few minutes of use and snuck under the insulating tape. I can't confirm this, but its just a feeling with how sloppy the mosfet thermal pads looked and felt. Though I took great care with both tape and pad.

Now I know this about arctic cooling, I won't purchase their products in the future. The heatsink market has some good options out there, but this was about the only choice for my dual 690 setup. I think Thermalright's option didn't allow for 2 cards with my mobo's spacing.

I appreciate the response though. Now, do I dare operate on the second 690 armed with this new knowledge?
    drjaaaaa
    Re:ARCTIC COOLING DCACO-V780001-BL Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for gtx690 2015/04/02 14:10:01 (permalink)
    hass21
    Yea I knew whatever happened probably occurred during the first install. My guess is the thermal pads on the mosfets expanded after a few minutes of use and snuck under the insulating tape. I can't confirm this, but its just a feeling with how sloppy the mosfet thermal pads looked and felt. Though I took great care with both tape and pad.

Now I know this about arctic cooling, I won't purchase their products in the future. The heatsink market has some good options out there, but this was about the only choice for my dual 690 setup. I think Thermalright's option didn't allow for 2 cards with my mobo's spacing.

I appreciate the response though. Now, do I dare operate on the second 690 armed with this new knowledge?

Well, it's all up to you.

Personally though, I don't care about the temp of the card. Main reason why I always install AC coolers is because I like my PC silent and AC coolers do very good job at it. I can tell you that you did so much better job with thermal pads than I did (based on the picture you linked). If that picture was taken after your first attempt (which damaged the card) then you probably shouldn't install on the 2nd card and your issues are probably something else. If that picture was taken after your numerous tries, then I would personally go for the 2nd card just because I can't stand the noise of reference cooler.

I did tons of research on this AC 690 cooler and read posts about problems people had with this cooler. Some said that it was PSU related problem, some said VRAM temp related, or SLI chip (one in the center of the board) error. This one guy's theory did sound very reasonable where his PSU wasn't the best quality one and it caused some sort of voltage failure where it wasn't supplying enough power from a single PCI-E cable. You know how single PCI-E cable splits into 2 cables (gpu end) but starts from single socket (psu end)? he said use 2 separate cables to feed to gpu so power is coming from 2 sockets not from a single rail. (given you have a modular psu) Maybe try this?

Anyway, if you are financially stable and like the challenge then go for it. If you are not and can live with noise/higher temp then don't take the risk.

My setup at the time was 3570k, Asrock Z77 Extreme 3, 8gb-1600, Corsair ax850. CPU was OC'd but used 690 without OC. Never had issues for 6+ months then sold it. I never heard from the person who bought mine so I am guessing it was okay for him too?

Good luck regardless. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile