EVGA

980 FTW SLI Voltage bug due to under-volt lock in bios 1.212 when max should be 1.250

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
antandbetty
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/18 14:24:45 (permalink)
Thank you for clarifying this. Very odd 

awahwah
That tools does work without a BIOS update (kingpin) and was also the solution offered by EVGA to my support ticket. They stated that the low voltage is by design. Still strange that a cheaper variant has a higher voltage pool to play with.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
awahwah
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/18 14:30:42 (permalink)
Indeed.

I'm going to reply to that answer via my Support Ticket as they did not answer the questions I asked  (Why the Voltage was set low on the FTW and Classified (I used to own a FTW) - as in, is there are reason.  And, why do they allow a higher default Voltage range on their lower tier Cards). 

I'll update this thread as they respond.
Prophit
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/24 10:20:41 (permalink)
awahwah
Indeed.

I'm going to reply to that answer via my Support Ticket as they did not answer the questions I asked  (Why the Voltage was set low on the FTW and Classified (I used to own a FTW) - as in, is there are reason.  And, why do they allow a higher default Voltage range on their lower tier Cards). 

I'll update this thread as they respond.

Thanks Awahwah. I look forward to their response.  This whole scenario is just kinda weird... i wish an EVGA rep would come spell it out clearly for everyone.  I'm very confused why the voltage lock on the SC is higher than the FTW (This statement is still correct, right?)

i7 2600k | ASUS P8P67-PRO | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 FTW | Corsair HXi 1000 | 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600
Heatware 59-0-0!

Darkatom
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/24 10:45:29 (permalink)
I ended up returning both of mine and getting the SC instead. I agree with the OP, maybe they didn't want the FTW outperforming the classified or Kingpin edition cards. 
post edited by Darkatom - 2015/03/24 10:58:15
awahwah
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/24 11:05:04 (permalink)
Just had a response, I'll cut and paste it:

Hello,
As for your questions:
Could I asked why EVGA never implemented a BIOS that gave/s the Card a ref board stock voltage? After all, there are three BIOS chips on board, which apart from differing Fan profiles offer little to the table.
Because at a BIOS level 1.212 is the cap due to the VRM choice. This can be increased externally of the BIOS by 3rd party tools.
Are you in the position to confirm what values I would need to change to allow the BIOS to provide 1256mv (or greater)? I'd assume, any reference to 1212mv within the Voltage Table.
This is not something that can be forced at a BIOS level, only through software.
I'm also assuming that the cooler is up to the Job of dealing with additional Volts (as long as it's nothing crazy) going to the Core without the need of putting the Card under Water?
This cards cooling solution is more than adequate for clocking and volt modding. As always there will be a point at which you need to go to water to push it further, but that would be higher than normal, partially due to the HSF used but also due to the VRMs used produce less heat than the reference model VRM’s. These cards typically clock quite well on the factory heatsink/Fan setup.

Thanks
Dave

So, the way I'm reading this, it's by design. I still want to return my Classy and will persue that with Dave.
Prophit
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/24 11:24:45 (permalink)
I can barely comprehend this response.... I read it three times.
awahwah

Because at a BIOS level 1.212 is the cap due to the VRM choice. This can be increased externally of the BIOS by 3rd party tools.
Are you in the position to confirm what values I would need to change to allow the BIOS to provide 1256mv (or greater)? I'd assume, any reference to 1212mv within the Voltage Table.
This is not something that can be forced at a BIOS level, only through software.

So the lower voltage on the FTW 980 is because of a "cap due to VRM choice"? What does that mean?

Then Dave says "This can be increased externally of the BIOS by 3rd party tools".  Haven't we established that you cannot go past 1.212 even with 3rd party tools?

What the heck!?  I'm confused. Is it really possible they capped the FTW 980s so they wouldn't compete with the classified? I know this is quite the assumption but what other answer is there?  Maybe I am misunderstanding the "Cap due to VRM choice" part.

***EDIT***: I just re-read a few posts on the first page of the thread, so it appears the kingpin 3rd party utility does let us overvolt past the 1.212... so why cant we get an official 1.25 lock on our FTW cards?  I'm getting more confused at each turn.
post edited by Prophit - 2015/03/24 11:41:40

i7 2600k | ASUS P8P67-PRO | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 FTW | Corsair HXi 1000 | 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600
Heatware 59-0-0!

awahwah
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/24 11:49:43 (permalink)
I'm not going to use the Kinpin voltage tool. Like you, I do not understand why they will not raise the volts at the BIOS level. I'm trying to return mine as I type this message.

Poor show EVGA.
neo.aoshi
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/30 11:22:10 (permalink)
I've been trying to find a way to return my FTW for a SC and Newegg wont take it back and EVGA won't "downgrade" me either. What can I do?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/30 12:26:27 (permalink)
neo.aoshi
I've been trying to find a way to return my FTW for a SC and Newegg wont take it back and EVGA won't "downgrade" me either. What can I do?

Be happy with what you have? Sell what you have and buy what you want?
Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/30 17:08:41 (permalink)
My new card maxes at 1.2, but the 1st one (had to rma it), maxed at 1.212.  So, it looks like the newer cards have been reduced further.  It doesn't bother me though, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

Vipergtspa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 233
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/31 02:03:10 (permalink)
Methodical2
My new card maxes at 1.2, but the 1st one (had to rma it), maxed at 1.212.  So, it looks like the newer cards have been reduced further.  It doesn't bother me though, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

I am just guessing that your new card has a higher ASIC quality then the old card, that could be why it is running at a lower stock voltage. 

Also what are you using to read the voltage ? if you are using software it maybe inaccurate, try a voltage meter to know for sure.
post edited by Vipergtspa - 2015/03/31 02:09:52

Intel i7-8700K 5.1GHz 1.344V-Asus ROG Maximus X Formula Z370-EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 2100MHz/6496MHz -16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum@3200Mhz-EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2-EK Custom Water Loop-2 Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD -1 Samsung 970 Pro 500GB M.2-Phantek Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass-Windows 10 64bit-Dell S2716DG 27" G-Sync 2560X1440-Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media Speakers

antandbetty
iCX Member
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/31 16:48:30 (permalink)
Ya know what i say? I say a big eff to Nvidia and the voltage locks they impose on EVGA and there TDR ridden drivers & there screwed up BIOSes. is that a word? My Kingpins are unlocked, running like freaking champs with no over-volts and guess what? The voltages in SLI match!

Tested with voltmeter of course because no one can make software that is accurate and or displays the correct volts. These Kingpins make most other 980's feel like tin cans. The design, PCB, caps, everything about these cards are 100% different then any other gpu i have ever owned.

I would take two of these cards over three Titans any day of the week. This is what a GPU should be, and it is worth the extra 150 each i paid. Everything is running smother, faster, better. Even sli scaling is WAY better then the dips i was getting before. Kingpin cards took an unstable game like watchdogs and made it stable at 4k.

I will never go back to a regular card again after all the rma's.  It is kinda a shame that we have to pay a premium for a gpu to do what it is supposed to do from the start....BE STABLE in SLI and be able to overclock. Maybe Maxwell  was not mature enough, but either way...what a freaking experience...

End of rant.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/31 17:14:04 (permalink)
GPU voltage at frequency/load/temperature is based on the VID of the specific chip as determined during manufacture. If they have the same voltage in SLI, dumb luck, but it makes no difference.
antandbetty
iCX Member
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/31 17:17:19 (permalink)
you have no clue what you are talking about. Nvidia driver plays a major role in SLI Voltage. This is there response to thousands of users who were having stability issues in sli....But you know more then all of them and Nvidia..

PS: You don't get the hint do you?  I think you are a complete troll and useless to this forum. I told you how many times to stay the hell away from me

Differing GPU Voltages in SLI Mode
When non-identical GPUs are used in SLI mode, they may run at different voltages. This occurs because the GPU clocks are kept as close as possible, and the clock of the higher
Release 346 Graphics Drivers for Windows, Version 347.88 RN-W34788-01v01 | 8
Chapter 2 : RELEASE 346 DRIVER CHANGES
performance GPU is limited by that of the other. One benefit is that the higher performance GPU saves power by running at slightly reduced voltages.
An end-user gains nothing by attempting to raise the voltage of the higher performance GPU because its clocks must not exceed those of the other GPU.

ty_ger07
GPU voltage at frequency/load/temperature is based on the VID of the specific chip as determined during manufacture. If they have the same voltage in SLI, dumb luck, but it makes no difference.

post edited by antandbetty - 2015/03/31 17:34:31

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/31 20:40:30 (permalink)
Ok man. I am not going to argue with you...

I have a huge clue what I am talking about when it comes to GPU boost, VID, and voltage regulation. The NVIDIA representative was 100% correct when he told you that it was perfectly normal for two cards of the same model to have different voltage requirements. The core voltage requirement of each card is determined during the manufacturing and testing phase and is hard coded into each chip. No BIOS or driver inputs affect that; those adjustments only work around that fact. Read up on VID.

If card A requires 30 mV more than card B, that is perfectly normal and is no problem at all.

We talked about this already. I told you to prove that the VID of the card changes when SLI is enabled versus disabled. You have yet to prove that "bug" exists.

Bonus points: tell me the mechanics behind your current cards versus your previous cards as far as voltage adjustment is concerned. In other words, when you move that slider to adjust the voltage in your program, what causes it to change?
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/31 20:54:51
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/31 20:53:05 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Ok man. I am not going to argue with you...

I have a huge clue what I am talking about when it comes to GPU boost, VID, ane voltage regulation. Read up on it if you want... The NVIDIA representative was 100% correct when he told you that it was perfectly normal for two cards of the same model to have different voltage requirements. The core voltage requirement of each card is determined during the manufacturing and testing phase and is hard coded into each chip. No BIOS or driver affects that. Read up on VID.

If card A requires 30 mV more than card B, that is perfectly normal and is no problem at all.

Yep. vid for both idle and boost clocks are set based on a table for defined ASIC score ranges. Third party tools such as Precision and Afterburner, which can sync settings between GPU's, can affect boost clocks and voltages. However idle vid is unaffected.
This other part:
"Differing GPU Voltages in SLI Mode
When non-identical GPUs are used in SLI mode, they may run at different voltages. This occurs because the GPU clocks are kept as close as possible, and the clock of the higher performance GPU is limited by that of the other. One benefit is that the higher performance GPU saves power by running at slightly reduced voltages.
An end-user gains nothing by attempting to raise the voltage of the higher performance GPU because its clocks must not exceed those of the other GPU."
I've asked Nvidia to correct this as it is not accurate. Both GPU's in SLI will run at independent boost clocks and voltages unless you change it with 3rd party tools. Drivers have not enforced this since probably the GTX 200 series where the driver would sync the clocks to the GPU in PCIe slot one. None of that occurs anymore. Oh well, it's not like Nvidia is golden in their documentation. 

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

antandbetty
iCX Member
Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/04/01 00:38:35 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

Yep. vid for both idle and boost clocks are set based on a table for defined ASIC score ranges. Third party tools such as Precision and Afterburner, which can sync settings between GPU's, can affect boost clocks and voltages. However idle vid is unaffected.
This other part:
"Differing GPU Voltages in SLI Mode
When non-identical GPUs are used in SLI mode, they may run at different voltages. This occurs because the GPU clocks are kept as close as possible, and the clock of the higher performance GPU is limited by that of the other. One benefit is that the higher performance GPU saves power by running at slightly reduced voltages.
An end-user gains nothing by attempting to raise the voltage of the higher performance GPU because its clocks must not exceed those of the other GPU."
I've asked Nvidia to correct this as it is not accurate. Both GPU's in SLI will run at independent boost clocks and voltages unless you change it with 3rd party tools. Drivers have not enforced this since probably the GTX 200 series where the driver would sync the clocks to the GPU in PCIe slot one. None of that occurs anymore. Oh well, it's not like Nvidia is golden in their documentation. 

I agree except when 1 card is running so much lower on voltage that it produces instability which a lot of people are complaining about including myself . I myself have measured a 100 mv difference on the bottom card no matter what gpu was placed there.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile