Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection

Author
nikkocortez
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2884
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2015/03/15 16:34:39 (permalink)
It has been nearly 5 years since I have built my first EVGA Classified build that inspired my love for "enthusiast computing".  It wasn't long after my first E760 X58 Classy build (dubbed ARSENAL 1.0) that I hopped over onto the SR-2 for two years before returning to a E762 that I built my first water loop on.  Since then I have built around 20 X58 systems, for others and myself and this is not including the dozens of LGA775 or the couple of X79s.  from a lot of the systems I have built it was clear to me the X58 had a nice sweet spot.  You had plenty of overclockable CPUs to choose from(which we may never see again from Intel), ample performance features for heavy gaming or heavy workstation loads, and the EVGA X58 Classified series just seemed to be in a class all on their own in that time in regards to quality and performance.  The X58 has since been replaced in the enterprise/enthusiast market with higher performing chipsets and the adoption of new standards in USB, SATA, PCIe, and DDR4 to name a few but the X58 probably marks the end of an era where you could overclock the Xeon CPUs, now leaving enthusiasts locked to a standard three "overclockable" i7 SKUs per generation.  In simplest terms since the end of the X58 chipset, overclocking is now a feature you pay for in a CPU.  While I was rather late into the enthusiast community I was fortunate enough to experience and appreciate what the X58 and many of its enthusiast class predecessors offered to the enthusiast side of computing.

This project has been a goal of mine since I started my "minion" X58 rigs for folding.  I wanted to build a multi-system machine that displayed the potential in gaming and workstation aspects of the X58, along with being a multi-tool platform for teaching and sharing my enthusiasm to others.  The purpose behind this build was to create full time game servers for my gaming community of friends, but also have the potential to be used as part time gaming systems for those who do not have a capable system at our LANs as well as a tool to teach the principals behind overclocking to those who were unfamiliar.  While these newer UEFI's are nice and convenient with simple click and clock settings there was nothing like getting the true understanding of the basics from starting at a Blue and white BIOS screen and tweaking settings while solving the boot issues through BSOD codes while fine tuning an overclock.

I started off by collecting all four SKU's of the EVGA X58 Classified boards, mainly from fellow forum members here.  The rare E759 featuring the nf200, the standard E760, the notorious E762 featuring 4-way SLI, and the late E770 with the USB/SATA 3.0 update.  I also took the time to collect the ECPs so each board had one which will be essential to the build in it's later stage.  I also took the time to collect the popular EK full board blocks as each system will be water cooled through a parallel style system.  To be honest the blocks were easy to collect, but the hardware for mounting them, not so much.  In fact I had to wait a good while before finding an E762 board that actually had the air cooler on it.  I am trying to keep both the water blocks and air coolers on hand as each shares an important aesthetic to the boards. 

The collecting totaled me at three E760 boards, one E759, one E770, and two E762 boards.  I went ahead and built two of the E760 boards into systems for my brothers and kept one, one sadly went up in a blase of sparks and smoke so it's now a wall hanger .  I am currently working on the "post or toast" stage where I will be testing the boards for the basics to ensure they are operational for the four that will be going into the build.

CPUs are going to be a careful selection as I want to have a diverse set of SKUs for the systems.  The i7 920, and either an i7-970(which I have) or the i7-980X would be good ones to display the range in the consumer lineup but then it's choosing from the dozens of Xeons to give a good display of the CPU cross compatibility.  I will probably start with a 5639 to show a low end Xeon hex core, and a 5580 or similar for a high end quad core to complement the i7's.

Some pics of some of the wares...

But I guess enough for the write up thus far.  Lets move into some images of the build and it's progress over the weekend.

A couple weeks ago I started out making a trip to a thrift store with the wife and ran across a stripped down plexi terrarium.  To me it screamed as the perfect part to base the case off of but still it would require a lot of work.  So off came the top on the jeep to accommodate the 15" X 18" X 60" piece of plastic.  I started off with taking some measurements to start cad work for the design and quickly realized there was not a single complementary dimension.  This was bad news as the case frame will have to be meticulously built to adapt to the terrarium.  I moved on from my cad design and started cutting the terrarium up...  Because of a lack in selection of blades at my shop and a poor running jig saw I ran into some bad chipping even after taping the plexi off.  I later figured out the right speed using a different jig saw that greatly reduced the chipping.

The chipping cause some cracks that weakened the corner making it split when I was cutting the radiator holes.  I can't say how much I hate working with plexi.

But not to fear I had some aluminum angle laying around that I used to reinforce it back to , if not better than it was structurally.

I guess you get what you pay for...

Finally finished with the terrarium cutting for now.  Now I am moving on to the case frame.  The frame will be made out of rough plywood.  I opted for structural integrity from ply wood over having a simple finish from using MDF.  It's nothing that some bondo and a good finish sanding can't correct.  It will just take some more time is all.

Now like I said, this terrarium turned out to not be consistent (some places almost a quarter inch!) on it's dimensions so I had to take extra time in trimming the side panels so they match the face of the terrarium but are square with the frame.

You know it's a serious computer case when it requires a 1" Snap-on Wrench to assemble.

Now with both side panels cut out I can start screwing the frame together.  I will be using 5/8" all thread that will tie the terrarium to the frame as well as offer a way to suspend the motherboard tray in the center of the terrarium.  This will minimize the required structural demand of the terrarium which is already greatly compromised from it being only 3/16" thick and having plenty of cut outs already.  The only things the terrarium will be holding will be the two 560mm UT60 Alphacool radiators which will be no problem with some added aluminum angle to reinforce it.

After screwing the frame together around the terrarium it simply slides out leaving the frame intact.

I temporarily installed the casters so it was easily rolled around the shop.

After about 8 1/2 hours in the shop it was time to start winding down for the day.  Final thought for this day's build time:  It's not about how little you screw up, it's about how much you can cover up.  This advice can be applied to gangsters with good lawyers, politicians with friends in high places, and craftsman with bondo.... 7lbs of it...

post edited by nikkocortez - 2015/03/15 17:04:03

25 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/03/18 07:21:26 (permalink)
    This mod will be interesting

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Drerex
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3892
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/03/18 13:20:27 (permalink)
    Okay, I think I remember seeing you looking for Classified boards a while back.  Cannot remember if it was you or not.  Anyways, look forward to seeing what you have in store for this build.

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/03/18 16:36:56 (permalink)
    Drerex
    Okay, I think I remember seeing you looking for Classified boards a while back.  Cannot remember if it was you or not.  Anyways, look forward to seeing what you have in store for this build.

Yeah that was me about 6 months or so ago.  Had a huge pile of them. 

The E759, E770, and one of the E762's posted.  One of the other E762's has a water block and remembering how hot the chipsets got on these boards im not testing until I put together a simple loop to keep it under control.  Even with the air sink the E759 was nearing 60*C just in the BIOS.  I may just need to reTIM it though to be on the safe side as that one is the more difficult to find.

As far as the case goes I am in the bondo stage... Cold temps here in the low 60s during the day are slowing it down in the shop and this is my first time messing with Bondo so it's a total mess ATM.  Hoping it will sand down nicely and I can start prepping for the finish by the end of the week.

Still have a few more cuts in the terrarium on the blue section.  The motherboards will be completely enclosed in the case.  A DVI cable will be attached to each of the GPUs and stored in separate compartments next to each mobo's break out panel that will include the ECP.  for USB and Audio I will be buying a couple generic case front panels with the USB and Audio ports and fabricating those to the back panel for each system.  LAN will be hardwired into the case as well with each system running gigabit LAN to a fixed gigabit switch.  It will be different with out having a fully accessible back panel I/O for the boards but in a way it will minimize a lot of wear on the systems.
    post edited by nikkocortez - 2015/03/18 20:37:55
    troy14
    • Total Posts : 51
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/03/27 00:22:59 (permalink)
    Pretty gnarly thread here
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/03/29 16:51:37 (permalink)
    Small update for this weekend.  Had a buddy come to the shop with me and help with some of the finishing and sanding on the ply wood part of the case and I started working on the motherboard tray.  Still searching for a good way to mount the motherboards (aprox 52 anchors/standoffs).  Having searched online and in various hardware stores this is becoming quite an issue finding a good standoff that is easily adapted to wood.  Anny suggestions are welcome.

Using a nail and a sharpie i simply traced the holes from my 4-way onto the mobo tray for the hole placement.  Punched a small divot with the nail then colored the divot with the sharpie.  Figured I should start with the motherboard lay out before solving how I am going to mount the PSUs in the event screws will have to be driven through the back side of the tray.

The case itself has had it's share of Bondo and wood filler with about 6+ hours of sanding.  it is now very smooth to the touch and after a damp cloth wipe down should be ready for the vinyl in a few days.

Stand by for further updates this week!  Looking to have the case ready to receive hardware by Sunday.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/03/30 05:29:09 (permalink)
    Excellent work so far. Looking forward to more pics

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/03/30 17:09:27 (permalink)
    Placed an order on amazon for some hardware to mount the motherboards.  decided to go with 6-32 as it is widely used through out computer components.  This meant I had to order three separate pieces of hardware for each of the 52 mounts required.  A 6-32 Threaded wood inert, 6-32 1/4" standoff, and of course a 6.5mm 6-32 screw.  Luckily amazon had what I needed in Prime status and it will arrive Wednesday. 

On the system side I will have to place an order to Koolance directly for the QDCs that are required.  Another issue is I am short one PSU and boot drives for the systems.  Since the X58's never had native USB/SATA 3.0 support I will be going the route of a PCIe add-in card that allows me to plug a SSD right on to it.  This will allow me to boot to an SSD.

More to come this week!
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/01 09:53:05 (permalink)
    Despite not having SATA 3.0, an SSD on SATA 2.0 is still going to be lightning fast. A better alternative would be two SSDs in raid on a SATA 2.

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/02 20:00:22 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Despite not having SATA 3.0, an SSD on SATA 2.0 is still going to be lightning fast. A better alternative would be two SSDs in raid on a SATA 2.

Very true.  I went ahead and added the PCIe card to allow expanding my systems with SATA 6.0gb for other drives.  Another nice feature of the card is that the SSD screws right to the card saving space and having to install a drive cage.

Some updates.  The motherboard tray is coming along slowly.  Installed mounts for the PSUs and installed the 6-32 inserts and mobo standoffs.

My friend and I also went ahead and added vinyl to the exterior of the case.  It was easily a three person job trying to wrap this roughly 20"X20"X60" case but we did what we could with two.  Needless to say with this being my first time using vinyl it was a mess and it was apparent there was a lot more prep work required on the plywood in regards to filling and sanding than I anticipated.  Despite the somewhat sub-par result there were many lessons learned.  Most of the edges are exposed but will be covered in trim to tidy up the build.  Still a lot of cosmetic work to be done.

More to come!
    post edited by nikkocortez - 2015/04/02 20:35:17
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/03 19:59:48 (permalink)
    Ok so some more updates. 

Spent an hour cleaning up the terrarium in preparation for painting the interior.  The exterior will not require paint as it will be wrapped in a red carbon fiber vinyl which is still on the way.  I am starting with a matte black base and will follow up with a rustolium hammered textured paint.  With the weather heating up a bit in the high 70's I should be set to do the final coat tomorrow.

I also hit up the mobo tray with a matte black primer.  it will get the same rustolium hammered black paint for a finish coat.

I also picked up some Black Melamine edge banding to finish up the edges.  This was my first time using this material so it was interesting ironing the material into place.  The melamine did not take to the 5/8" inside rounded edges and would crack so I hit it with some paint to blend it in until I find a good solution for the corners.

Still got a long way to go but it is starting to shape up.

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/04 10:01:19 (permalink)
    This will be an EPIC build when finished! An idea for your edges since the majority is black, why not used some aluminum edging for the corners? You could either screw it on or liquid nail it on. I think it would make the black stand out and look good as well. Same stuff you used to reinforce the terrarium. I see you found a solution for your stand offs. What I did recently, is use the regular stand off and put it in the drill chuck and drove them in that way. Surprising it worked very well, even in particle crap old "wood"[old puter desk]. Looking forward to what you will come up with, have fun building!!
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/04 12:20:08 (permalink)
    notfordman
    This will be an EPIC build when finished! An idea for your edges since the majority is black, why not used some aluminum edging for the corners?

Flexible chrome 1" wide automotive trim will be used to cover the seam where the sides of the case frame and the terrarium meet.  The back vertical corners will get the aluminum angle channel you mentioned as well for a bit extra bump protection when it is being moved around.  As soon as I wrap the red carbon fiber on the terrarium and finish painting and installing it to the case frame I'll be doing a good bit of final trim work to merge the two together nicely.

Update for tonight.

Hit the terrarium with it's red carbon fiber vinyl.  I will have to add some trim to divide the center up since the vinyl had some issues making me install it in two sections.  There are still some tweaks and peaks to finish up and then I will be hitting the interior of the case with some paint.

More to come.

post edited by nikkocortez - 2015/04/04 20:19:00
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/05 02:06:27 (permalink)
    Looking better and better. Brilliant!

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/05 02:18:38 (permalink)
    People are crazy... They think I'm mad because I like old hardware nicely build from period P55/X58.
    Both rigs are nice for normal gaming and today with dual GTX580 or dual GTX590 graphic cards.
    I would be more excited to see in someones house GTX580/GTX590 Classified Hydro Copper with X58 3-Way Classified E-770 A1 and i7-950 or Xtreme more than some newest hardware. 

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

EVGATech_GabrielT
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1104
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/05 03:07:57 (permalink)
    Awesome !
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/05 16:17:54 (permalink)
    Going to take a break from the build today probably. Here are some throw back pictures of my past X58 builds.

My first EVGA Classified X58 E760.  Built in April 2010.  It featured the i7 920, Corsair Dominator GT 1600 mhz 3X2gb kit, and two GTX295s.  Needless to say it was one heck of an upgrade from a Pentium D 925 in a EVGA 680i.

The man cave back in the day when I was rocking an SR-2 and two "minion" X58 SLI3s for folding.  They were great boards bought from the good old EVGA B-stock with Folding At Home bucks.  It was at this point that I really started envisioning a single case that could house multiple systems for folding, gaming, and other things.  Slowly it evolved over the years from idea to the current project shown in this thread.

My next X58 Classified board was the E762 4-Way and was also the first system I watercooled.  Built in mid-late 2012 after I had my fun with an SR-2.

An odd side project I did once.  An X58 micro water cooled in a GoneCruzing SSF case (less than 1cubic foot).  It was a great rig until the pump failed resulting in a KO'ed X58 micro board.  Built around mid 2012

post edited by nikkocortez - 2015/04/05 16:22:23
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/08 19:00:20 (permalink)
    Just ordered two CPUs for the project.  A Xeon W5590 (4c8t) and a Xeon L5640 (6c12t).  Should be great additions to the i7 930 and the i7 970 that I have currently.
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/09 18:13:31 (permalink)

Time to start in on the WC system.

Some Koolance V3's.  8 sets to be exact.

On the radiator side I will be using G1/4 connections.

One UT60 in place.  I will have to get M4 screws for the second as it was tapped differently.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/09 23:05:34 (permalink)
    Better and better as things move along!

Gone Cruising
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1711
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/11 00:29:57 (permalink)
    Holy mother of all cases!!! Nice work man! That thing is huge! My wife would look at me, tilt her head and say, "Really"....... they just don't understand sometimes!

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
    Intel Core I9-9900K
    Corsair 32gb DDR4
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    EVGA 850W Gold
    2 x 1TB Samsung SSD
    2 x 3TB HD's in Raid 1
    Kustom Case

https://www.heatware.com/u/67033/to

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/11 02:16:02 (permalink)
    Gone Cruising
    Holy mother of all cases!!! Nice work man! That thing is huge! My wife would look at me, tilt her head and say, "Really"....... they just don't understand sometimes!

HAHAHA yes indeed!  I may need some custom plexi side panels for it soon if you are still taking orders.
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/11 13:50:45 (permalink)
    nikkocortez

After about 8 1/2 hours in the shop it was time to start winding down for the day.  Final thought for this day's build time:  It's not about how little you screw up, it's about how much you can cover up.  This advice can be applied to gangsters with good lawyers, politicians with friends in high places, and craftsman with bondo.... 7lbs of it...

Ha, ha, nice analogy, but I may know a better lawyer/friend for you:

Been doing body work for years, although not full time, anyway I've been using Evercoat fillers for a long time. It sands much, much, better/easier. I wouldn't touch Bondo brand with a ten foot poll after using this.

Wow, you have quit the collection there. Really nice work, looking forward to this build and all the helpful info you have to offer! Thanks!

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/25 18:00:50 (permalink)
    Sorry for the delay.... been super busy at work.  Here are some updates.

The collection:  From left to right, E759 w/ i7-920, E760 w/ Xeon W5590, E762 W/i7-970, E770 awaiting a Xeon E5640

Using the CPU/Pump unit from Alphacool.

Three of the mobos installed.  Awaiting the Xeon for the E770 mobo.  12' of tubing went fast so I will have to put more on order.

Still more to go!

Gone Cruising
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1711
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/25 20:06:11 (permalink)
    nikkocortez
    Gone Cruising

HAHAHA yes indeed!  I may need some custom plexi side panels for it soon if you are still taking orders.

As long as their not larger than 47" x 36" you know where to find me!

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
    Intel Core I9-9900K
    Corsair 32gb DDR4
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    EVGA 850W Gold
    2 x 1TB Samsung SSD
    2 x 3TB HD's in Raid 1
    Kustom Case

https://www.heatware.com/u/67033/to

zophar
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5183
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: Nikko's ARSENAL HYDRA Build:The EVGA X58 Classified Collection 2015/04/26 13:54:21 (permalink)
    Looking good Nikko. Love seeing all the X58 hardware you have there.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile