EVGA

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 - Freezing during gaming issues.

Author
FKoehlmann
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/03/19 04:26:13 (permalink)
I'm hoping that someone might be able to help/advise me on how to resolve an issue that I am currently experiencing.

About two years ago I built my current system, and at that time everything seemed OK, however I was busy and never had time to do any real gaming. The last few months I have gotten into Skyrim, Civ 5, and a few other game, mostly because my kids are starting to get into them and I want to know what they are playing (I enjoy it as well). But here is the problem: I am getting frozen screens, complete black outs, sometimes even getting kicked right out of the game. For different games the syptoms are slightly different, but all appear to be graphics related.

I've spoken with friends and they are suggesting that the issue is my graphics card (EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660), but as far as I know this card should handle these games easily. I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for both the card, and the monitor and still no resolution.

The various symptoms per game are:
Besiege: Screen freezes, and sometime goes black, but usually restores itself and game play can continue.
Skyrim: Will freeze, often. Need to Ctrl-Alt-Del and then select goto "Skyrim" to continue. This works until I get completely kicked out. Need to save continuously, just to be safe! I've tried reduced screen sizes, lower detail settings and windowed mode. Still the same.
Civilization V:
Playing in Directx 10/11, looks great, until everything freezes and the screen goes grey.Doing Ctrl-Alt-Del sometime helps, and occasionally there is a windows dialog popup saying: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Kernal Mode Driver Version 347.52 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Other times a Render Error dialog appears and says: "FGXRenderer11::Present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure" and clicking OK to this closes Civ 5 completely.
Playing it in DirectX 9 and in window mode I don't get to see the great graphics, but at least when I have to Ctr-Alt-Del, I am able to continue. Its just sometimes this happens so frequently (a few seconds apart) that its hard to get ahead in the game.
Now all three games are played via Steam, so I don't know if that might have something to do with it. I don't play enough other games to make a fair comparison.

My system specification is:
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP 1 (Build 7601) DirectX 11.0
CPU: Intel Core i&-4770K @ 3.50GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
RAM: 32 GB - 4 x 8GB PC#-12800H (800MHz) Patriot Memory 1866 CL10 Series
Display Adpator: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Monitor: HP w2007
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
MB: Sabertooth Z87

Any and all help is appreciated.
Much thanks, Fred.

6 Replies Related Threads

FKoehlmann
    Re: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 - Freezing during gaming issues. 2015/03/22 21:19:56 (permalink)
    Hello Christian,

Thanks for the reply. I did the re-install of the latest driver (v347.88), and went with the "Custom" and "Perform a Clean installation" options. That went fine, and I also did the same for the GeForce Experience, but did NOT do the "game optimization", actually for Civ V, turns out there isn't one. I also download the EVGA PrecisionX 16 tool. I had problems with the 3DMark demo. It would download, but had problems installing. I tried through Steam, and then via a couple of other download sites. When I ran it the Spash Screen comes up with the indicator that suggests that it is loading, but it never goes beyond that. I even let it run like that for 30 minutes. No go.

Anyway, I then tested by running Civ V, since I can at least Ctr-Alt-Del, to save myself. :)
    This is how it went:
    1. Started Civ V (DX11) from NVidea GeForce Experience.
      • Start temp was 34 degrees.
      • A minute into the game the screen went black and the error message came up: "FGXRenderer11::Present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure".
      • PrecisionX16 showed the temperature at 52 degrees.
      • Clicked OK on the error message and the game closed.
    2. Started Civ V (DX11) from Steam.
      • Only got to load the game and then the same thing.
      • Temp was at 42 degrees this time.
      • Clicked OK on the error message and the game closed.
    3. Started Civ V (DX9) from Steam.
      • First freeze up the temp was 46 and the GPU cycles were 1045. Ctr-Alt-Del...
      • Next the temp was 36 and GPU 718. Ctr-Alt-Del...
      • Next 47 & 324 ...
      • 49 & 1045 ...
      • 44 & 810 ...
    In general I found that the GPU clock seemed to jump from 324 to 1045 to 800 and back, while the temperature was somewhere between 38 to 42 average, with the occasional peak. Not sure if that means it running hot or not.

Today, while just browsing in Chrome, the screen did a short freeze, went black, then went back to normal. I had about eight windows open with several tabs within each. 've got 32 GB on the machine, so that shouldn't even be an issue. IMHO.

Not sure what I should try next?
    FKoehlmann
    Re: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 - Freezing during gaming issues. 2015/03/27 09:59:25 (permalink)
    Thanks Kevin. I do not have another system, nor another card. I will send the email to support. I'll let you know how it goes.
    EVGATech_GabrielT
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1104
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 - Freezing during gaming issues. 2015/03/29 22:16:34 (permalink)
    Hello FKoehlmann

I have responded to your support email. Please follow the email instructions I outlined for you in order to submit a RMA.
    headzb_hunter
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 - Freezing during gaming issues. 2015/07/14 09:41:06 (permalink)
    Hi , i have exactly the same problems . Did you find any solutions ? I tried everything like unistalling drivers , change clock and other..
    FKoehlmann
    Re: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 - Freezing during gaming issues. 2015/07/14 16:10:41 (permalink)
    Yes. In the end I had the board replaced. The new card works without issue. 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 - Freezing during gaming issues. 2015/07/21 22:49:32 (permalink)
    FKoehlmann
    Yes. In the end I had the board replaced. The new card works without issue. 

Glad you got it sorted out.     

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile