Need suggestions on new video card

Author
elghinn
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/03/25 11:06:31 (permalink)
Hello everyone.

I built my machine about 7 years ago running an EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GTX 280 1GB 512-Bit GDDR3 PCI video card on a nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX motherboard. Last night, I crashed while playing a game, and the computer restarted. When it did, I had graphic artifacts on my screen, even on my initial bios screen. Computer tries to load into windows, but my display goes dark where the login password should come up, and then I get a BSOD. I can load into windows just fine under safe mode and safe mode with networking. So, I am assuming, with that information, it's probably a good chance it's my video card, though if anyone here thinks otherwise, please give me advice.

Anyway, with that being said, I'm interested in getting a new video card that will work with my mobo and will give me at least the same capabilities, or more, as my old graphics card. However, I'm on a very very tight budget. I'd love to hear some suggestions. Thank you!

4 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Need suggestions on new video card 2015/03/25 13:27:23 (permalink)
    There's one thread about that here..You may run into compatibility issues with anything newer than a 600 series card with the old 790i..You can still find older stuff here and there but you'd need to search around for them, there's a few at Newegg.

If you're on a very tight budget, you might consider trying to fix the 280 for the time being..You can disassemble the card, clean it up and bake only the PCB like this and hope for the best..Solder cracking somewhere on the PCB is a common cause of graphics card failure and can cause artifacting, BSOD, POST fail, garbled text in BIOS/POST, system freezing, black screen, driver timeout/reset/crash, Device Manager error codes or other issues..If solder cracking is the problem (which it probably is, almost guaranteed), baking should reflow any cracks that might exist and that will fix it..It's important to bake it with the GPU side up and in the center rack of the oven..Baking may fix it for a while or for a long time and sometimes is required more than once..Do not substitute thermal paste for thermal pads..There's a few disassembly guides you can search for online if you need..There's a few guides on YouTube also.

If it's under warranty you could see about an RMA..The AR suffix cards have a lifetime warranty.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

elghinn
    Re: Need suggestions on new video card 2015/03/26 11:01:44 (permalink)
    I appreciate the suggestion. I ended up grabbing a 750i from newegg. Put it in my system and it would just beep then reboot over and over again. I had seen elsewhere that I needed to have the latest and greatest BIOS update, and if the update wasn't posted at least sometime in 2013 and on, chances are nothing I would use would work. The latest update to my BIOS was in 2009.

So, I tried reflowing my 280 and would you believe it, it worked. Matter of fact, it seems like it works better now (though I'm sure it's my imagination). So hooray for that. Now to go through returning the new GPU to newegg. Thanks again!
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Need suggestions on new video card 2015/03/26 11:21:56 (permalink)
    You're welcome..I figured the "oven trick" would fix it..Hopefully it will last a while..I've had cards that I baked and they worked okay for varying periods of time until the solder eventually cracked again causing artifacts/BSOD, so  I would bake again to fix again..If you don't have EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner, you should get one or the other and make a custom fanspeed curve to help keep the GPU temp down..Solder cracks are caused in large part by thermal stress.

Yeah, the good old 790i boards are pretty much obsolete and in legacy status now and it's a pain, or even impossible to get new/newer hardware to play nice with them sometimes..Used to have a 790i FTW running a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz myself.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

elghinn
    Re: Need suggestions on new video card 2015/03/27 10:17:50 (permalink)
    I have to admit, it's done real well for me over the past 7 years. I'm still able to play most games at high or ultra with no problems or real FPS loss. League runs great on high settings, Skyrim at ultra, etc. So I really can't complain.

I know I'll be needed to revamp my system soon, it just boils down to money.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile