Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49166
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/26 23:22:49 (permalink)
Sajin
Someone with 24GB, 32GB, 48GB of system ram needs to test the following...

Run #1:
- 24GB, 32GB, 48GB system ram installed only.
- Unigine Heaven 4.0 @ max settings.
- Page file located on SSD. Page file set to 2048MB min/max.

Run 2:
- 16GB of system ram installed only.
- Page file located on SSD. Page file set to system managed.

Would love to see the performance difference. 

Kinfet could you run the above tests? Thanks.
khatru311
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 372
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/26 23:46:05 (permalink)
I'm currently using a 1080p monitor but planning to go 4K soon. Could that be the issue? DXDIAG shows only 3662 MB. I guess a full Windows re install is necessary?

CPU: 4770k 3.8
RAM: 32 Gigs 2400 
EVGA 1300 watts
TITAN X
Asus Maximus Formula IV

El-Dubya
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 262
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 00:13:27 (permalink)
khatru311
I'm currently using a 1080p monitor but planning to go 4K soon. Could that be the issue? DXDIAG shows only 3662 MB. I guess a full Windows re install is necessary?

I'm on Home Premium 64 and mine says the same, but I'm not having any issues allocating more than 4GB VRAM which leads me to think it's just an initial driver not reporting to the OS correctly. I would pay more attention to the system info from the Nvidia Control Panel which seems to state your correct VRAM values. Only other thing would be to download/install EVGA OC Scanner X and run FurryE (GPU memory burner::3072) and see how much VRAM it allocates (should be around 5.5GB). If this fails, it could be a page file issue as discussed earlier.    
Kinfet
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 01:12:45 (permalink)
Sajin
Sajin
Someone with 24GB, 32GB, 48GB of system ram needs to test the following...

Run #1:
- 24GB, 32GB, 48GB system ram installed only.
- Page file located on SSD. Page file set to 2048MB min/max.

Run 2:
- 16GB of system ram installed only.
- Page file located on SSD. Page file set to system managed.

Would love to see the performance difference. 

Kinfet could you run the above tests? Thanks.

Ok here's Run #1, it's late though so i will do Run #2 tomorrow.
As a note in Run #1 it was using ~7GB of VRAM with those settings.

post edited by Kinfet - 2015/03/27 01:19:11

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 08:00:07 (permalink)
Thanks. Looking forward to Run 2.
Avenger411
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 632
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 08:10:00 (permalink)
Sajin
Thanks. Looking forward to Run 2.

Yea! So do i! Still on the fence if im going all nuts with 32gbs or staying with my 16gb
kernolsz28
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 140
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 08:44:06 (permalink)
I just tested Shadow of modor and i was only using 4060mb of ram showing on my lcd with precision...ultra texture pack. i have my system page filing set to system managed. looks like im not getting more then 4gb.  i have 16gb 1866 ram windows home premium.
MilenaM
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 187
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 08:48:34 (permalink)
Installed my card today for a few test runs before I get the Aquacomputer block next week. I have 16GB DDR4 and the pagefile disabled. 4 of those 16GB are used for a ramdisk. I have no problems whatsoever and the control panel shows this:

And dxdiag:

Looks like in my case I wont run into problems until I play a game that takes 8+ GB. I don't see that happening any time soon, not at 2560x1440 anyway. If it does I can still enable the pagefile and/or stop using a ramdisk.
post edited by MilenaM - 2015/03/27 08:58:43
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 09:00:43 (permalink)
kernolsz28
I just tested Shadow of modor and i was only using 4060mb of ram showing on my lcd with precision...ultra texture pack. i have my system page filing set to system managed. looks like im not getting more then 4gb.  i have 16gb 1866 ram windows home premium.

How much VRAM do you allocate when running EVGA OC Scanner X v3 test FurryE (GPU memory burner::3072)?
kernolsz28
Superclocked Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 09:05:11 (permalink)
Sajin
kernolsz28

How much VRAM do you allocate when running EVGA OC Scanner X v3 test FurryE (GPU memory burner::3072)?

5788mb  so looks like it was my resolution along with vsync on...when i turned the game to no vsync it ran at 5.7 as well...looks like it was just because i wasnt allowing it to use all the frames lol so its fixed.   60 degrees on the card all ultra running shadow of modor. not bad!

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 09:19:43 (permalink)
kernolsz28
Sajin
kernolsz28

5788mb  so looks like it was my resolution along with vsync on...when i turned the game to no vsync it ran at 5.7 as well...looks like it was just because i wasnt allowing it to use all the frames lol so its fixed.   60 degrees on the card all ultra running shadow of modor. not bad!

PhilipO48
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 10:15:30 (permalink)
flyhii
To All,

I believe what the Nvidia reps are saying is true but they're not explaining this properly so that most can understand. The topic actually has nothing to do so much w/ the TitanX or system mem per se, this issue stems from the Windows OS itself. It's old coding algorithm within Windows that was written years ago (all the way back to Win 3.x days) to address graphics frame buffering conflicts on limited mem systems. Graphics cards back then didn't have the amounts of mem like today & that mem was VERY EXPENSIVE back in them days so the OS was coded to 1st allocate the "amount" of graphics mem into system mem to use as a "swap file" to essentially "double" the amount of "available" mem for graphics frame buffering as system mem is the next faster medium in relation to graphics mem frequencies (speed) to minimize the performance impact caused between the 2 mem frequencies (speed, not capacity here) & if there's not enough available system mem to do this the OS will then create the swap file on the HDD to get the necessary amount of "space" for the swap file to mirror the amount of graphics mem for graphics frame buffering purposes. The stuttering that they're talking about will occur when the onboard graphics card's frame buffers (mem) becomes full then the OS will allow the GPU to start storing extra rendered graphics frames on the system mem "swap file" to prevent the GPU from having to stop rendering graphics frames until the actual frames are ready to be drawn (flipped) to the monitor. Since system mem runs slower than graphic card mem any frames that are flipped from the system mem buffer will move slower thus creating a slight pause in frame sequencing to the monitor which is called stuttering. If the graphics mem buffer & system mem swap file buffer fills up then the OS will allow the GPU to start sending rendered graphics frames to the created HDD swap file to store rendered graphics frames on the HDD's allocated extra unused space until the graphics frame is called to be drawn to the monitor & since the HDD spins even slower than system mem which is slower than onboard graphics mem the potential for stuttering can get exponentially worse & if this gets too erratic for all to mesh well enough the OS will usually call out a page fault & shut the system down to try to prevent a meltdown, usually due to some part of the system (mostly the CPU & mem) becoming unstable due to overload.
Now bring all this into today........ Yes a lot of things have changed over the years but this old coding has been carried forward in successive vers of Windows & is still being used in the OS as some computer manufacturers/users will STILL under equip a system, mostly due to cost constraints, so the graphics cards of today, even though they have massive amounts of onboard mem still have to follow this coding algorithm within the Windows OS to be in compliance w/ the OS & operate on it.........& yes this will be the case w/ Win 10 as well.
Will the cards work if a computer doesn't have enough available system mem to create the necessary "swap file" that will "double" the available mem available for the graphics frame buffer? Yes they will as I just demonstrated what will happen....the "swap file" will be created on the HDD(s) if there is enough free disk space to do it. Will the cards still work if a computer doesn't have enough available system mem or enough available HDD space....Nope. The OS will call out a page fault at that time & shut the computer down as this is outside of the OS coding compliance. With today's computers most users will have far more than enough HDD free space as opposed to extra available system mem so the shutdown call will most likely never come BUT the graphics sequencing will suck BIG TIME to the point that the game\app will be practically unplayable\usable. You DO NOT want to get here, trust me. But please stop blaming this issue on Nvidia......blame this on MS WINDOWS! And since the overwhelming market share for Microsoft is catering to businesses who are the MAJOR users to under equip a computer so MS ain't gonna change\remove this algorithm any time soon so you can also blame your place of employment for this as well.....let's see how far you get doing that...........just saying..................

Since the TitanX is equipped w/ 12 Gb of onboard graphics mem the OS will want to find 12 Gb of available addressable system mem to build the "swap buffer file" to comply w/ it's coding structure as stuttering will be much less here. Add the 2 together (12Gb + 12Gb) you will get the 24Gb that the reps are telling you. Since system mem is used by the CPU as well as other devices then you would in practice "need" more than 12Gb of system mem to accommodate all this so the rule of thumb is to "double" the "double" so add 24Gb to 24Gb you will get 48Gb which is what they're saying as recommended.

If you get all this then there are some things that you could do to lessen the stuttering effect but you will need to upgrade some equipment. If your mobo will support faster mem modules than what you're currently using then upgrade them as this will close the speed difference between the 2 mem thus lessen the stuttering effects. If not then you may consider to upgrade the whole mobo\system to get a faster subsystem along w/ faster mem modules to mitigate this. Use SSD's instead of HDD's to do the same thing if the buffer is made on the drive, up to installing a purpose fast PCI-E SSD to take advantage of the wider & faster PCI-E lanes over the SATA bus to lessen this as well, but the best thing to do is to make sure that the games\apps you play\use don't need more than 12Gb graphics frame buffer then no issue per se, but the OS is STILL going to create the extra graphics frame buffer where it can. This is going to occur regardless so I would suggest to get used to it & understand what your options are as griping about this ain't gonna change anything............this is a fact, folks. Windows OS 101..............

BTW, as already stated earlier in this thread you can forget trying to use this card on a Windows 32-bit system as that system can address only 4Gb mem TOTAL (system mem + graphics mem) so the majority of the vid card's 12Gb will be useless & you will most surely have issues running this card on this system. If you weren't planning to upgrade your OS then don't buy this card. You will need to be using a Windows 64-bit OS to properly address this mem & going by what the reps are saying you will need to be using Windows Pro vers OS at a minimum as Pro vers will address up to 192GB total mem so the swap file can be properly handled as long as the mobo that you have can use 32Gb or more mem.....Windows Home vers OS can only address up to 16Gb total mem. You have been warned.............

You will need to learn\know where your shortcomings are to know what to do\where your options are and\or your willingness to do what is necessary to comply fully to determine if this card is for you............just saying........

Don't shoot the messenger here. I just read a lot of misinformation being posted here & just trying to help folks understand WHY the reps are saying what they're saying.

<salute>

So if this indeed true (and from my knowledge it is) then the same held true for the Titan/Titan Black with 6GB gpu's.

Which means that 12GB-24GB was needed for system Ram.

Now i have the original Titan and 16GB of system Ram, and i had no issues with stuttering ever, however i play only in 1080p and VR(Oculus Rift DK2) and the max
i ever reached was 4.4GB of vRam while using DSR in 1080p. (confirmed by both gpu-z and evga's precision-x)

But i'm curious how many Titan owners had used 8GB of system Ram? And if doing so in 4K or using DSR, and VRam amounts reached over 6GB(ie..Shadow of Mordor or AC),
was there any stuttering issues these owners noticed?

Because if they had no issues, then Titan-X owners really need not worry as 12GB of VRam is not being taxed by any current game even in 4K w/max FSAA, and i'm sure won't
be for a good 12-18 months.

This OS issue of system Ram is much more a factor of the older Titan's then the Titan-X due to it's huge 12GB framebuffer.
post edited by PhilipO48 - 2015/03/27 10:19:40
TonyMartinStark
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 10:34:13 (permalink)
kernolsz28
Sajin
kernolsz28

60 Degrees? Wow. Reference Titan X I assume? My 780TI hits 73 degrees...

May I ask what your previous card was and what temps you were getting with it? Also, what is your current PC case lol?
kernolsz28
Superclocked Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 11:02:57 (permalink)
TonyMartinStark
kernolsz28
Sajin
kernolsz28

May I ask what your previous card was and what temps you were getting with it? Also, what is your current PC case lol?

My case is the 800d with all fan slots going, one mounted directly above the hdd area within the 5.25" bay slots. (i use a evercool bay fan insert for intake for the front). My previous card was 1 gtx 690 that would run 60-70 depending on game but fan speeds at 80-90%. Could run the fans that high cuz the 690 was ultra quiet. I have the Titan X set to 55degrees 60 % fan speed. I do hear it more then the 690 only when the fan hits 65 and up. so im adjusting the fan speed to get it perfect. And yes the card is the EVGA Titan X Reference. System is on my modsrigs page. No updated pics though with the Titan.

I have also noitced slightly lower cpu temps because if you look at my system on my Modsrigs page, the card was almost touching my reservoir and the 690 was blowing hot air right on it. Don't get that with the Titan X.
post edited by kernolsz28 - 2015/03/27 11:12:15
TonyMartinStark
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 11:11:36 (permalink)
kernolsz28
TonyMartinStark
kernolsz28
Sajin
kernolsz28

My case is the 800d with all fan slots going, one mounted directly above the hdd area within the 5.25" bay slots. (i use a evercool bay fan insert for intake for the front). My previous card was 1 gtx 690 that would run 60-70 depending on game but fan speeds at 80-90%. Could run the fans that high cuz the 690 was ultra quiet. I have the Titan X set to 55degrees 60 % fan speed. I do hear it more then the 690 only when the fan hits 65 and up. so im adjusting the fan speed to get it perfect. And yes the card is the EVGA Titan X Reference. System is on my modsrigs page. No updated pics though with the Titan.

That's amazing... thanks for the reply!

I have the NZXT H440 (not the best for airflow) with all the fans installed and for the past 2 days I've been trying different fan curves for temperature tests. The best I have done is decrease 80 degrees to 73 degrees.

Really sorry but mind if I see your fan curve? Really curious, would greatly appreciate a picture of the fan curve. I use MSI Afterburner but have also used Precision X.
kernolsz28
Superclocked Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 11:16:51 (permalink)
TonyMartinStark
kernolsz28
TonyMartinStark
kernolsz28
Sajin
kernolsz28

That's amazing... thanks for the reply!

I have the NZXT H440 (not the best for airflow) with all the fans installed and for the past 2 days I've been trying different fan curves for temperature tests. The best I have done is decrease 80 degrees to 73 degrees.

Really sorry but mind if I see your fan curve? Really curious, would greatly appreciate a picture of the fan curve. I use MSI Afterburner but have also used Precision X.

Even my idle temps are awesome atm. still adjust though.

Attached Image(s)

Meric1837
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 11:31:47 (permalink)
I had totally forgotten about non-Pro Win7 not being able to allocate more than 16Gb of Ram. Wow. Thankfully that doesn't include video RAM. And yea, if you're using an x86 copy of Windows, you're pretty well hosed on this card.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
post edited by Meric1837 - 2015/03/27 11:36:33

Processor: Intel i7-6700K
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 (11G-P4-6593-KR)
RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3000 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Ranger
SSD: 400GB Intel 750 Series
Power: EVGA 850w P2
Monitor: Acer X34 @100Hz G-Sync
Dog: Corgi, Air Cooled w/Tongue Heatsink
El-Dubya
iCX Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 11:50:17 (permalink)
In case anyone was interested, if you want to load up the VRAM to ~8GB+ just run FarCry 4 w/DSR 4K and 8xMSAA. I dipped into the low 20s-30 fps, but maybe someone with a beefier system (or more RAM) could try this out and see their performance.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/El-Dub/FC4Titan4_zpsbzotpluz.png

The rest of my set-up btw: 
3770K *cough..stock..cough*
8GB DDR3 1866
P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Kinfet
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 11:54:14 (permalink)
I will try that on FC4 tonight, when I do the 2nd test run as well.

I just noticed I'm still a new member when I joined in 2008 lol
El-Dubya
iCX Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 11:59:38 (permalink)
Kinfet 

I just noticed I'm still a new member when I joined in 2008 lol

yea, guess it's "new" to the forums haha. People just like to skip over that bit of info though. 
MilenaM
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 187
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 12:07:37 (permalink)
Anyone a Star Citizen player? I always thought it would use way more than 4GB VRAM if available but I couldn't get it to use over 3.8GB. Same with Dragon Age Iquisition, stays at under 4GB. I'm downloading Shadow of Mordor again and see how that goes. I want to see if I run into problems with games that use 6-8GB VRAM.
Aggressor Prime
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 457
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 12:09:42 (permalink)
Ok flyhii, I have a few questions regarding this after seeing your explanation. First, why is it 24GB of system memory that is needed instead of 12GB? Wouldn't the swap file be the same size as VRAM?

Second, and hopefully EVGA/nVidia reps will be able to answer this, with DirectX 12, VRAM can add up per card instead of being mirrored. With 4-way SLI, that is 48GB of VRAM. How are we expected to have 96-192GB of system memory on consumer motherboards? And with Pascal introducing 32GB VRAM on cards and 8-way SLI, that brings the requirement up to 512-1024GB, something that can only be done with dual Xeons.

Clevo P150EM / Sager NP9150
Intel Core i7-3840QM
nVidia GeForce GTX 970M (6GB)

Prepare for Descent:
http://playoverload.com/
Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 13:35:18 (permalink)
Okay i'll explain this one out. First the card needs "12gb" of swap in ram so if you exceed vram youll get stuff into the ram. The minimum specs for the gfx cannot be 12gb ram because if so, peiple with 12gbs ram would definitelt run into problems if they max out the vram. Why? If you have 12gb ram in your system, in win7x64, 2-4 gbs is used by windows. So having a 12gb as a minimal req is impossible. Also, if you follow the old window's rule, ram has to be 2x vram so proper swap file can be created. If you dont have enough space, the card would have to remove windows files in order to put gaming files. Hence, system crash. Solution : auto-managed paging file :D.

And for the rest yea i'm curious about it lol.. Dat pascal vram ..
khatru311
iCX Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 13:47:55 (permalink)
I can't get above 3.5 vram usage on anything. I'm moving to Windows 8 Pro to see if that fixes the problem. 

EVGA 1300 watts
TITAN X
Asus Maximus Formula IV

componenty
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 13:48:38 (permalink)
what is the vram usage  (watch dogs) at 3840x2160 MSAA 8x ,everything ultra   ,,,,,?
vram usage (cod AW) at 3840x2160 16x MSAA, everything ultra ,,,,,,,?
i still do not have the titan x,but i can feel the  two games above with there setting can easily hit
8-9gb vram,
i knew one thing,,,,, the gtx 980 ti must be 8gb, because 6gb are not enough (ultra setting) even on full hd maybe.
and the best gaming card now  is titan x,even if the card need 24gb-64gb of ram.

Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 13:54:28 (permalink)
khatru311
I can't get above 3.5 vram usage on anything. I'm moving to Windows 8 Pro to see if that fixes the problem. 

Well that's weird! What are your sys.specs ?
khatru311
iCX Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 13:57:52 (permalink)
Avenger411
khatru311

See my signature. I've got Raid 0 SSD's although I doubt that matters. 

EVGA 1300 watts
TITAN X
Asus Maximus Formula IV

El-Dubya
iCX Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 14:15:11 (permalink)
componenty
what is the vram usage  (watch dogs) at 3840x2160 MSAA 8x ,everything ultra   ,,,,,?
vram usage (cod AW) at 3840x2160 16x MSAA, everything ultra ,,,,,,,?
i still do not have the titan x,but i can feel the  two games above with there setting can easily hit
8-9gb vram,
i knew one thing,,,,, the gtx 980 ti must be 8gb, because 6gb are not enough (ultra setting) even on full hd maybe.
and the best gaming card now  is titan x,even if the card need 24gb-64gb of ram.

I have a strong feeling that as games actually start requiring such large amounts of VRAM, a single Titan X will simply not be able to handle it before its full VRAM can even be reached (then begins the wait for Pascal...or grab 2+ Titans).  
Avenger411
SSC Member
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 14:45:47 (permalink)
khatru311
Avenger411
khatru311

See my signature. I've got Raid 0 SSD's although I doubt that matters. 

In windows control panel how much dedicated vram you see ?
in nvidia c.panel how much dedicated vram you see ?
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Titan X and 24gb Ram dafook? 2015/03/27 15:01:14 (permalink)
And what is conclusion... how much memory need someone who think to choose next card with more than 6GB video memory...
16 or 32GB... That 260 vs 400e in Europe if we look GSkill. 

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile