Ebola coming to a state near you.

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18916
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/24 15:32:47 (permalink)
NordicJedi
Nereus
NordicJedi
You do realize that you're still far more likely to be killed by a NYC cabbie than you are Ebola, right?

What about a cabbie with ebola? Yeah, didn't see that one coming did ya? lol..  but seriously, like RushXTC says, it doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions, in the same way you shouldn't try crossing the road in Manhattan if there's a yellow cab in sight, because they will try to run you down.

Actually, I was going to first say, "more likely killed by a NYC cabbie distracted by talking about ebola than...", and figured you'd say something similar.

Of course, take precautions.  Nothing wrong or stupid about that.  But notice that nobody else has gotten sick "yet" beyond nurses and doctors, who've been treating patients with Ebola.  Not even the family of the first guy in Texas.  Let's hope that streak continues.

Here's hoping.

The NYC story has changed significantly from when it first came out anyway - initially the media were saying or inferring the guy was already sick and traveled through Manhattan on 3 different subways in an infectious state, then caught a cab home when he got even worse. Now they are saying he had no problems until Thursday morning.. so my initial reaction was based on the initial news. Doesn't explain the cab home, but whatever. My subway ride to work is usually standing room only, this morning there was only ~14 people in the carriage I was on - first time I've got a seat going to work for many months.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/24 15:37:17 (permalink)
srtie4k
This thread is turning into nothing but fear mongering. Frankly, it's pathetic.

(a) you don't live in Manhattan and clearly don't understand the issues with proximity and overcrowding here.
(b) initially the media were saying or inferring the guy was already sick and traveled through Manhattan on 3 different subways in an infectious state, then caught a cab home when he got even worse. Now they are saying he had no problems until Thursday morning.. so my initial reaction was based on the initial news. Doesn't explain the cab home, but whatever.
(c) hope you're ok if I call your concerns pathetic if ebola arrives in your neck of the woods and you are worried about it...

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/24 21:40:21 (permalink)

On CNN:

...the governors of New York and New Jersey announced Friday their states were stepping up airport screening for Ebola beyond federal requirements for travelers from Ebola-hit countries in West Africa.The policy allows the states to determine hospitalization or quarantine for up to 21 days for travelers from the affected countries. A mandatory quarantine is called for those who had "direct contact with an individual infected with the Ebola virus," including medical workers who treated Ebola patients. In addition, people with a travel history to the affected regions but with no direct contact with Ebola patients will be "actively monitored... and, if necessary, quarantined." 

Now this (bolded red) should have been in place from Day One - it's just plain common sense... you'd think.    

fubarhouse
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/24 21:59:41 (permalink)
It's safe to say you need to keep away from organic bodily fluids such as blood (among others).
This means to stop sucking peoples blood, blood transfusions, fapping (those that do) and cheating on significant others.

This should guarantee that you'll never contract the virus, or any blood or sexual related conditions, diseases or infections. At least until the international outbreak finishes up...

Despite the low risk for the population of people who don't work in health or medicine, this virus is a major cause for concern.
whiskers54
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1688
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/25 03:45:18 (permalink)
It would appear, according to CDC, that you can catch it through sneezing and coughing as well.

Source:
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/eb...by-air-or-droplets.pdf
Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/30 17:55:40 (permalink)
Eh... Ebola is still a cough drop... 'nuff said.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/30 18:50:05 (permalink)
whiskers54
It would appear, according to CDC, that you can catch it through sneezing and coughing as well.

Source:

Fact sheet is being updated and is currently unavailable.  Please visit cdc.gov/Ebola for up-to-date information on Ebola.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/eb..transmission/index.html

post edited by kaninja - 2014/10/30 18:51:40

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/30 19:17:24 (permalink)
And yet, the ones in office fight over silly things, and let this happen in the irst place!

Mountain-man 2014,
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/30 20:32:00 (permalink)
kaninja
whiskers54
Source:

Fact sheet is being updated and is currently unavailable.  Please visit cdc.gov/Ebola for up-to-date information on Ebola.
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/eb..transmission/index.html

Holy Hannah, I can't believe they pulled that down..  ...actually I can - it doesn't fit the agenda, so of course they 'update it'.

Sorry CDC, you can't pretend it never existed that easily - there's a copy on webarchive.org [link].

I'll attach an image file of it..  basically they admit it can be spread by droplets.. ie: a cough or sneeze, with a 3 foot distance. Also by touching a surface that has droplets on it, and then touching your mouth, nose, eyes, or if you have a cut. Damn good reason for concern in a city like NYC.

post edited by Nereus - 2014/10/30 20:41:53

Attached Image(s)

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/30 20:59:45 (permalink)
They always admitted that it was a dropletborne disease. Not airborne.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

GDBavay
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/30 21:34:52 (permalink)
Whether the disease is air borne or droplet borne, it is essential for us to take proper precautions so that it doesn't spread. One must always follow hand hygiene.  A proper ventilation system installed in home can also be a good idea as it not only provide cool environment but also filters the air through its medical grade filters to prevent from any disease causing germs.

post edited by GDBavay - 2014/10/30 21:36:51
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/31 03:27:54 (permalink)
Recently on October 24th a 33 page document was released by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency and in that document it is admitted that Ebola is “aerostable”.  WND was one of the first news outlets to report on this. You guys can view the document for yourself right here. Also authorities in the UK now tell us that Ebola can survive on a glass surface for up to 50 days. So I guess people need to take a better closer look on how easily this virus spreads and how long it can survive on surfaces. Another thing since June, approximately 400 health workers have caught this virus, and about 230 of them have died.  Of course these workers take extreme precautions to avoid getting Ebola.  If this virus did not spread easily, this would not be happening so people need to stop acting like it cant spread so easily. I keep saying if these health workers wearing these hazmat suits keep getting infected then how the hell would the general public face this threat as it gets worse. There can be either 3 things IMO about how these health workers keep contracting this virus. First is of course the virus does spread easily than what is being stated; second is that these healthcare workers do not have the proper level hazmat suits; and third is that these healthcare workers are not taking the proper precautions in dealing with this virus.

Trivius1
  • Total Posts : 49
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/11/02 05:12:47 (permalink)
Ebola, can become close-proximity airborne the cooler it gets, and the winter months are here now... A mere case of perfect timing or is this about government malfeasance or is governmental World War-Z population control in effect?

Encrypted_Godyeah...I agree. My 12yr old daughter will beginning school soon and there are so many shots and what not that she needs or proof that she has them. If she doesn't have them she won't be allowed to go. Which IMO is a good thing. Especially with all the other races that are migrating to the states and into our schools.

Your state should have statutory exemptions on the books with concern to vaccinations.  Mostly, all of it is school administrative policy and not public law to begin with. Examples:

http://drtenpenny.com/forms/  ...Also there is always homeschooling (statistically home schooled children go one to be much more stable, structured, and intelligent later in life.)

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.” ― Thomas Paine
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.” – H. L. Mencken
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2015/03/06 06:34:21 (permalink)
Here is just an update of the death toll. If anyone is wondering, YES the disease keeps spreading and spreading and spreading. But there is hope. I would not count on a vaccines for a LONG TIME. Recently a doctor got sick from one of those Ebola vaccines.

Source

Here is a more in depth look at the death toll from the World Health Organization.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2015/03/06 07:15:00 (permalink)
That doesn't look good.

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2015/03/06 10:14:23 (permalink)
I still think that first world countries are pretty much safe from an Ebola outbreak...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2015/03/06 14:43:27 (permalink)
BF3PRO
I still think that first world countries are pretty much safe from an Ebola outbreak...

You mean hand washing, sanitation, and not handling dead bodies by grieving family, neighbours, and friends? Yeah that goes a long way in preventing the spread.

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2015/03/07 15:29:22 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
Here is just an update of the death toll. If anyone is wondering, YES the disease keeps spreading and spreading and spreading. But there is hope. I would not count on a vaccines for a LONG TIME. Recently a doctor got sick from one of those Ebola vaccines.
[...]

Although what you wrote is arguably true (the bolded portion), the context is more important, and tends to cast doubt on your previous sentence.  Thank you for providing the link to the article, as I hadn't read about the vaccine treatment to the doctor.

The doctor accidentally punctured himself with a needle that possibly was infected with Ebola.  It's unknown whether he did contract Ebola or not, as he was vaccinated well before symptoms would have started.  He chose to try an experimental drug using a live (but not infectious) vaccine to fight a potential Ebola infection.  Side effects were expected, and he received some.  The side effects were more severe than he was expecting (fever, malaise, nausea, etc.), but he was asymptomatic after 7 days.

Bottom line, nobody knows whether it was Ebola or the vaccine that caused the side effects.  Either way, he's clear of any further symptoms.  It's possible he may not have been infected in the first place.  Regardless, I don't think you can draw the conclusion that vaccines will not be effective for a long time based on this scenario, or infer such a conclusion.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2015/03/18 06:27:06 (permalink)
Here is some more Ebola news. Skip to 1:00 so you dont have to see the intro of other news stories. Also David Knight explains about another pathogen spread.

mistermister
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5804
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2015/03/18 23:12:45 (permalink)
LMAO, good 'ol Ms. Infowars. 

post edited by mistermister - 2015/03/18 23:17:05

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile