EVGA

X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized

Author
Graffix23
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/02/20 18:40:37 (permalink)
Hello all, so as the title says I had an issue when upgrading to 24GB ram; three sticks 8GB  ram.  I had found others had successfully upgraded to 24GB using this mobo X58 SLI Classified (141-BL-E761-A1).  After initially plugging all 3 sticks in the computer would not boot.  I then upgraded the bios version to 82 and booted again, this time windows booted up successfully although after checking in the DirectX Diagnostics the memory is still listed as 8184MR RAM.

I have since placed each stick in one at a time and lowered the voltage to 1.35V.  The PC booted properly on each single stick.  I have also looked in AIDA64 and noticed under the SPD section it does show the 3 sticks of memory in the Device Description.  But in the Memory section it still shows as 8183 Total Physical Memory.  I am at somewhat of a loss and am willing to try anything.

Any thoughts or further information I can provide?

11 Replies Related Threads

izmatic
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 112
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/02/20 18:58:18 (permalink)
    check your settings in bios like the command rate may need to change it from 1T to 2T.. this may help you...http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=5247
    post edited by izmatic - 2015/02/20 19:02:42

" Ultimate Online Weapon is One you Assemble Yourself "
      *eVGA Classified X99 *Intel i7 5930X @ 4.0Mhz cooled h2o closed Loop Corsair *32GB Corsair Dominator@ 2800MHz *Corsair AX1200i PSU
    *Corsiar Obsidian 750D *Classified GTX 980ti -SLI * 27" Gaming Monitor 144MHZ w/G-sync
    * 2 512GB Samsung SSD *Logitech~*G910 *G502*G35  *Barracuda 1TB Storage
    Graffix23
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/02/20 19:56:31 (permalink)
    I have changed the following setings:
    tCL Setting:      9
    tRCD Setting:   9
    tRP Setting:      9
    tRAS Setting:    24
    Command Rate: 2T
    DIMM Voltage:   1.350V

With no luck.
    DarrelM
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 145
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/02/20 19:58:06 (permalink)
    The X58 only supports up to 4GB modules. It is possible that it might work, but since only 4GB modules, it is not guaranteed.
    Graffix23
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/02/20 20:06:01 (permalink)
    If it were a compatibility issue would it still recognize the single 8GB ram though? With a single 8GB or 3X8GB it still boots up, but shows the same available memory for both configurations. I really appreciate all the help.
    Graffix23
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/02/21 00:31:31 (permalink)
    Just as an update I cleared CMOS and booted (made the same alterations as above for the time and command rate) up to see 24568MB RAM available :D. I should have done this directly after my bios update.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/02/21 03:14:28 (permalink)
    Graffix23
    Just as an update I cleared CMOS and booted (made the same alterations as above for the time and command rate) up to see 24568MB RAM available :D. I should have done this directly after my bios update.

Good troubleshooting. Well done.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Graffix23
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/02/21 10:53:08 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the help, now it's time to do some more research on overclocking this system.  I'm not much of a gamer but just picked up BF4.

I'm sure I would have to make a new thread if I ran into any direct overclocking issues.  But any advice on a stable configuration for an i7 920 air cooled by a Prolimatech Megahalem with a push pull fan setup?  Also from what I've read as of yet it appears to give set in stone numbers to set the memory to, do you not take your given timings into consideration when it comes to this?  My memory is also rated at 1.35V and from what I've seen as of yet some achieved higher frequencies by leaving the voltage at 1.35V and others bumped to 1.5V.  I am currently running 3 sticks of Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB DDR-1600 (BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0) ram.  Also considering the jump to an SSD as well from what I've seen even running these directly off of SATA II there is still a dramatic gain, and a noticeable gain on top of that with the addition of a card with with on board handling of SATA III devices.
    b.enis
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/03/05 06:23:28 (permalink)
    Hi,

Any update? did you manage to overclock your RAM?

You will see a HUGE gain with an SSD.
    I put a X25-M G2 SSD on my E758 motherboard more than 5 years ago and I already saw a huge improvement over a mechanical HDD, so you don't even need a modern SSD, but they're so cheap it doesn't matter (Crucial MX100 is for example 100$ for 256GB).
    Graffix23
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/03/09 22:14:58 (permalink)
    Hey b.enis, I have not overclocked yet.  I am currently driving 3 monitors happily (MSI R9 290X 4GB) with my setup as is (will eventually get all components in my signature).  The fact that I can even play BF4 on 3 monitors (FPS average upper 40s) with an older setup and no overclocking is fine by me, I am just hesitant for now until I spend the time to research it further.  I have quite a bit of air cooling so it will eventually happen I'm just very busy at the moment.

Still waiting for a deal on the Samsung 850 Pro's or might just cave and get an EVO but I would like to see how they do over time before investing in one.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/03/10 01:02:48 (permalink)
    Graffix23
    Hey b.enis, I have not overclocked yet.  I am currently driving 3 monitors happily (MSI R9 290X 4GB) with my setup as is (will eventually get all components in my signature).  The fact that I can even play BF4 on 3 monitors (FPS average upper 40s) with an older setup and no overclocking is fine by me, I am just hesitant for now until I spend the time to research it further.  I have quite a bit of air cooling so it will eventually happen I'm just very busy at the moment.

Still waiting for a deal on the Samsung 850 Pro's or might just cave and get an EVO but I would like to see how they do over time before investing in one.

I think this is a wise move on your part

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Graffix23
    Re: X58 E761 With 24GB (3X8GB) Only 8GB Recognized 2015/04/10 17:15:39 (permalink)
    I figured I would chime in with an update.

I have since purchased and installed a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (check the first post for my exact mobo) and have now had it in for less than 24 hours.  Just a few things to mention:

Installation (sorry if some of this is common knowledge, hopefully if someone out there is ever stuck they can use this to help)
    • I used some velcro ties to mount the SSD to a slide out hard drive bay in my HAF 932, it's crude and I will likely just pick up a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter at some point or make one but for now it's not going anywhere.
      • After securing the drive, I plugged in the SATA Power Cable along with the SATA Data Cable.  I plugged the other end of SATA Data Cable into the SATA 0 port, the correct port should be confirmed by reviewing the manual for your corresponding motherboard. 
      • Next since I was installing Windows via a DVD (from an image I had burnt) I had to plug in my DVD drive.  This again was another device that had SATA connections, after plugging in the SATA Power Cable, I plugged in the SATA Data Cable.  The other end of the SATA Data Cable was connected to the SATA 8 port (I will get into the reason behind doing this below).
    • Next was a fresh Windows 7 install (Not going with 8, I will let 10 get released and wait until the kinks are worked out before going to 10, this of course is just my own preference).  I ran into some issues here that I will address below.  But here are the steps taken that worked and seem to be working without issue:
      • After booting I began pressing the Del key [Delete] until entering BIOS.
      • At the Main Menu I first navigated to Advanced BIOS Features where I changed the First Boot Device to the CDROM (in my case the drive was specifically shown by name) and chose this as the first boot device.
      • Before saving and exiting the BIOS I went back to the Main Menu.  From the main menu I navigated to the Integrated Peripherals and into the Onboard PATA/SATA Device menu.  Here I changed the SATA Mode to AHCI and confirmed that the JMB363 Mode was set to IDE.
      • With these settings updated and confirmed save and exit out of BIOS.
      • After the PC is restarted it now gives a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD..." pressing any key will start the Windows installation.

Speed/Performance (The part most of you really care about :)) Keep in mind, I have not run any actual programs to test performance but I can give you my early thoughts on any boosts.

• The first note of a noticeable gain is pretty much a dead giveaway but is in a decreased start up time.  With my HDD prior to this SSD (I will get the exact model up if anyone is interested) I was from button press to to Windows appearing (Desktop/Taskbar) was at a crawl of roughly 1 minute 37 seconds.  Keep in mind I had not reformatted this drive in a while and would have likely seen some gain had I done so.
    • Start up time Pt 2.  But after waiting the 1 minute 37 seconds for my PC to load with my old hard drive there was a noticeable lag in the time that things were usable I would add possibly another 20-30 seconds from the time that I was looking at my desktop until I could begin actually working within a program or browsing the web.  This was just someone laziness on my part as I could have limited the amount of processes that initially ran but mention this because with the SSD I have the same processes running at startup.
    • Start up time Pt 3.  Sick of hearing about my old drive yet?  As for the SSD the time from when I press the power button to the time that I'm looking at my desktop is roughly 50 seconds (I used a stopwatch on my cell phone for all times listed) which obviously beats out my old HDD but the key advantage is in the time when I can actually begin using programs.  As soon as the desktop appears there is literally next to no lag time in bringing up programs and beginning to work on things or browse the web.
    • General speeds, the response of everything from navigating my folders to opening programs is cut down as well.  I have no numbers here but there is a noticeable gain.  As far as gaming goes, I'm a pretty light gamer especially since I really don't have the time time to do much gaming at the moment and would not be the best gauge in this realm.  Sorry to have glanced over daily ins and outs speed comparisons, again I just put the drive in yesterday but will update this again in the future, especially after I do some overclocking.
    Troubleshooting/Issues
    • Here is where I ran into some problems, I created a bootable USB drive and for whatever reason kept getting an error when trying to boot off of this device.  If anyone can offer any insight into this I would appreciate it, not sure if my bios version allowed booting off of USB, I would assume it would but again I could not get this working.  I have to also consider it was possibly the flash drive, the image an issue when creating the bootable USB drive.
    • I chose to connect my DVD drive to the SATA 8 port because after I had changed the SATA Mode to AHCI the drive would not load properly and the install would not start.  After making sure that JMB363 was set to IDE and connecting the drives SATA Data Cable to a SATA port controlled by the JMB363 chip (SATA 8) it ran without issue.
    So that's my thoughts and the install any comments, concerns with mistakes I may have made above please let me know.
    post edited by Graffix23 - 2015/04/10 17:25:25
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile