EVGA

Precision X settings when shutdown.

Author
bluesmurf
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/03/02 09:35:49 (permalink)
OK this may sound like a silly question, but its regarding the fan control of the precision x.
I have the 970 ftw, and I see no point overclocking it, because its already been factory overclocked to a stable tested speed.
Others might well see that differently lol.
Once running precision X will control the fan perfectly well exactly how i set it,  Whatever i did i have no idea, but my system for now is running at a nice 21'C and cpu is going no higher than 37, the graphics card under stress hits 54'C   And its almost silent.

But when u close precision x the fan control its using also stops. I also noticed when i click default, it doesn't go back to the cards original settings, it goes back to a default setting of precision x.

What i wanted to do was just firstly check the fans actually work on the card because i just bought it - which they do, perfectly and no whine at all etc. And then put things back to how they are.
It would also be nice to have the fan control able to stay in the background or be able to feed into something else that can keep the settings, because personally the card and software on my machine feel rock solid, I've used many computers but never had a feeling of it being built like a rock lol.

Anyway i digress, so how can i shut the software down to free up resources and still keep the card using the fan settings?

3 Replies Related Threads

TimP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 136
    Re: Precision X settings when shutdown. 2015/03/04 14:12:00 (permalink)
    Hello bluesmurf,

Glad to hear your GTX 970 FTW is rock solid. Unfortunately, Precision X does need to be running to have custom fan control. If you have any further issues or questions, feel free to contact us 24/7 at 1-888-881-3842 or by email at support@evga.com.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Precision X settings when shutdown. 2015/03/04 17:42:38 (permalink)
    Precision can't control the fan speed if Precision is closed.

How the fan control works:
    The software reads the GPU core temperature.
    The software adjusts the fan speed according to what your fan profile instructs for the given temperature.
    Rinse and repeat.

There is no way around requiring the software to be open when using software to control the fan speed.
    Erik
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 417
    Re: Precision X settings when shutdown. 2015/03/04 21:52:22 (permalink)
    Actually what you can do, and works well, is set Precision X to start up with Windows and minimized.  Those options can be found in the General section.  

That way you can have your fan settings with Precision and not have to physically see it.  If you need to access it or make changes, it would be in the notifications area.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile