EVGA

Helpful ReplyLooking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well..

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18917
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2015/02/22 02:35:09 (permalink)

Per the subject, I am looking for rubber case fan mounts that allow a fan grill to be attached on the outside as well... everywhere I've looked have ones that mount to a case, but don't allow for a fan grill to be attached on the outside of the case (my case just has 120mm open holes for case fans). Only place I found mention of them is from Jab-tech, which closed for business last year. Any suggestions / links?

post edited by Nereus - 2015/02/22 14:00:46

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/02/22 14:02:12 (permalink)

Nothing? Surely I'm not the only one who has had this issue?  ..and ok, I won't call you Shirley.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/02/22 17:28:29 (permalink)
Do you have a link of what you are talking about off Jab Tech?

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/02/22 21:33:20 (permalink)
RainStryke
Do you have a link of what you are talking about off Jab Tech?

Unfortunately no, the page has been removed. I believe it's like a standard long rubber mount, but with a longer space between the disc bit at the end and the next ridge.. if that makes any sense at all, lol... allows to secure the fan to the case, but additional length to allow for a fan grill outside the case (as if the case wall was really thick). Might shoot an email off to MountainMods, it's for one of their cases.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/02/23 16:05:29 (permalink)
Are you meaning something like this?  http://www.modright.com/products/11381/fss-37/ModRight_Ninja_Vibration_Silencer_120mm_Fan_Gasket_w_Lip_-_Black.html

I use something similar on my case and they work well.  Not this exact type, but similar.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/02/23 17:21:10 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
Are you meaning something like this?  http://www.modright.com/products/11381/fss-37/ModRight_Ninja_Vibration_Silencer_120mm_Fan_Gasket_w_Lip_-_Black.html

I use something similar on my case and they work well.  Not this exact type, but similar.

Thanks but nope, I've used those gaskets before (or similar), still need screws for them.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/02/23 17:38:26 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556063292.html?productid=840556063292&channelid=FROOG&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvKunBRCfsum9z6fu_5IBEiQAu4lg4o39RND0ssNj3qsnk9aGsdaxqRTJqTrSv8a5vttcEuwaAikb8P8HAQ

More
http://www.coolerguys.com/fanscrews.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817995095&cm_re=rubber_Fan_Mounts-_-17-995-095-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3TR22Z5149&cm_re=rubber_Fan_Mounts-_-9SIA3TR22Z5149-_-Product

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rubber+Fan+Mounts

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Mount-Closed-Corner-Black/dp/B00O2HWU4Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H2ZPEQBV5W6J7TRFHNQ

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Screws-Deluxe-Push-Chasis-Black/dp/B003JBOBOI/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424716170&sr=1-10&keywords=Rubber+Fan+Mount

I think I would use the above for the fan grill.

Thanks for all that. The top image I've looked at, they're for a specific type of closed corner fan, although they look like they might work but spacing not quite wide enough.

The second image is really interesting, I thought at first the little center pin was specifically for grill mounting (great idea if it was), but apparently not.. they allow fitting the main mount easier, then the center pin has to be pushed through to 'lock' the main mount in place.. but it can't push fully through with a grill.. damn that would be a good idea though. $2.50 each (with shipping) a bit steep though, lol.

Thanks for all the other links, already checked all of them - spent ages at Amazon, Newegg, Performance-pcs, even FrozenCPU (despite their drama at present) before posting here.. the closed corner fan mounts, although not intended for what I want to do, might just do it if they are stretchy enough without pulling through the holes, so I'll give them a try.

I also got a response from Mountain Mods if anyone is interested;

"Sorry, but we don't carry any rubber grommets.  We haven't seen much use for them in our cases as the materials used are thick and the screw fastening panels do not generate vibration that many standard cases do.  I'd imagine you'd need to look at a hardware store or online rubber grommet specialty supply that would have the dimensions required to do the job."

So there ya go. I'll try the closed corner fan mounts and report back in a week or two once I have them.

Thanks so much for all your research BCavnaugh, much appreciated!

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/01 00:38:42 (permalink)

Update.. tried a couple of different mounts, they either pulled through the holes in the grill, or they wouldn't even begin to work. Was worth a try. Thanks for the replies anyway.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/01 02:03:56 (permalink)
Just saw your post Nereus, why cant you just go with longer screws and just cut a couple rubber squares, from a old bike tire tube maybe, and put a hole in the middle for the screw to go through, then sandwich one between the filter and fan and then one between the fan and case? Lian-Li has that type of setup on my case on the bottom 140mm fan/mount setup. You don't see the rubber at all and it works excellent. If you need a pict let me know brotha!! \m/

EDIT: I should clarify that the squares they used are glued to the mount too. They also have these things that come with your case parts: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556091523.html  Those black grommets are separate from the thumb screws and rubber. You can use them with any screw they will fit on, not just the thumbscrews, if that's more like what you wanted.
post edited by wmmills - 2015/03/01 02:34:33

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/01 09:28:56 (permalink)
wmmills
Just saw your post Nereus, why cant you just go with longer screws and just cut a couple rubber squares, from a old bike tire tube maybe, and put a hole in the middle for the screw to go through, then sandwich one between the filter and fan and then one between the fan and case? Lian-Li has that type of setup on my case on the bottom 140mm fan/mount setup. You don't see the rubber at all and it works excellent. If you need a pict let me know brotha!! \m/

EDIT: I should clarify that the squares they used are glued to the mount too. They also have these things that come with your case parts: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556091523.html  Those black grommets are separate from the thumb screws and rubber. You can use them with any screw they will fit on, not just the thumbscrews, if that's more like what you wanted.

I've done exactly that in the past, basically rubber washers   but this time I was looking to avoid the use of screws entirely. Not to worry, decided it was time to try a new case instead - my MountainMods case has been running for many years but it's time for a change. Corsair Carbide Air 540 ordered.. yes, I really like cube cases.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/02 04:27:10 (permalink)
Nereus
wmmills

I've done exactly that in the past, basically rubber washers   but this time I was looking to avoid the use of screws entirely. Not to worry, decided it was time to try a new case instead - my MountainMods case has been running for many years but it's time for a change. Corsair Carbide Air 540 ordered.. yes, I really like cube cases.

lol, I was just commenting in another thread about fighting the trigger on buying the 540 myself and how much I liked it right from debut. I think your gonna be really happy with it and now im jealous so im leaving your thread. :P

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

Help Our Vets From K-2!
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/02 06:55:28 (permalink)
wmmills
Nereus
wmmills

lol, I was just commenting in another thread about fighting the trigger on buying the 540 myself and how much I liked it right from debut. I think your gonna be really happy with it and now im jealous so im leaving your thread. :P

LMAO.. join the club then!

White one is $119 at Amazon right now.. good deal.

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/03 06:20:49 (permalink)
Nereus
wmmills
Nereus
wmmills

LMAO.. join the club then!

White one is $119 at Amazon right now.. good deal.

I wish!! Cant right now.....spending money on our dog since hes sick with some old age issues plus my father passed in October very unexpectedly so were takin care of my mother until we can get all my fathers benefits squared away. Im a real party pooper huh?!?!  :)

Help Our Vets From K-2!
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/03 10:33:24 (permalink)
wmmills

I wish!! Cant right now.....spending money on our dog since hes sick with some old age issues plus my father passed in October very unexpectedly so were takin care of my mother until we can get all my fathers benefits squared away. Im a real party pooper huh?!?!  :)

Sorry to hear that (your Dad and your dog). I feel your pain regarding sorting out benefits etc., when my Dad passed 2 years ago it was a mission getting his military pension (US Navy Commander - retired) and social security sorted out for my Mom, and all the other bits and pieces... still have a few loose ends to sort out 2 years on!

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Looking for rubber fan mounts that allow a grill to be mounted as well.. 2015/03/03 23:52:24 (permalink)
Nereus
wmmills

Sorry to hear that (your Dad and your dog). I feel your pain regarding sorting out benefits etc., when my Dad passed 2 years ago it was a mission getting his military pension (US Navy Commander - retired) and social security sorted out for my Mom, and all the other bits and pieces... still have a few loose ends to sort out 2 years on!

Thanx Nereus, same to you. My father worked for the govt so its been a nightmare so far. Sooooo hoping it doesn't last 2 years or more of fighting with these people. He didn't have a will either and when my grandparents died he had 50% ownership of some propertys with them which he never changed the deeds to include my mother also etc.... and a whole slew of other things. After seeing what not having a will can do I went and did that for myself to save others the headache of dealing with such a situation.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile