Salaries in the IT field

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Holo
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3328
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/01 14:14:26 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
candle_86
Grey_Beard
Computers are my hobby, so I am self taught. I am run a business but the IT guys always listen to my opinion. I have an advanced degree but not in IT. I help more people in my organization with IT than almost any other single area. IT is an integral part of our business model. Without it, we would not be as effective as we are. The issues I have is that many in IT do not know what their end users do. Help desk in particular. Even help desk needs to know what the business is. Unfortunately many on both sides do not want to gain an understanding of the other. Those that do are the ones who can make large pay checks. This is the true value add.

well most companies treat IT like crap, we don't make them a profit they can see, only spend money. I see that time and again, the IT budget is cut, the IT staff is cut, then people start complaining about their equipment failing ect, and then they yell at IT for it. Its a rare thing when the business side gives a damn about the IT people keeping their systems running so they can make money.

For an Internal IT within a company they should not be looking for a profit Period.
They are now looking only at profit and could care less about the end user, the mission of the end user.
It is called the "Death of the IT", and this is what is causing IT such a large turn around and the biggest loss the Experts.
Like lets pay ONE IT Tech a great Salary and can get the task in hand done in a timely manner to Two or Three Hourly IT Techs that are clueless about what they are doing and takes 200 or 300 times longer to complete the same task.
They should be providing the Company the support so that the End Users can do their job and not spend days at a time down because their computer's hard drive is dead. This is where IT has gone Wrong and why End Users Do Not Like IT in Large Companies.

IT can be measured in terms of profit, or rather cost savings. We prevent downtime, and further the technological vision of the company. Who do you think implements the tools departments utilize to generate profit? Showing cost savings isn't hard. Sure IT is usually seen as a necessary evil or an insurance policy, but if you know what you're doing you can be seen as a solutions provider internally and a cost savings source.

Any projects I work on, I try to look at how this will save money, and how quickly will we generate a return on our investment. I also dig my hands in anything I can. Last project I worked on saved on average about 10k a year in labor costs by automating reports that were previously manual. Implemented automated system imaging, so imaging a PC takes 1/3 of what it took previously. That's a labor savings of 2/3 that can now be allocated (my time) to another project production related.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/01 14:42:01 (permalink)
Holo
bcavnaugh
candle_86
Grey_Beard
Computers are my hobby, so I am self taught. I am run a business but the IT guys always listen to my opinion. I have an advanced degree but not in IT. I help more people in my organization with IT than almost any other single area. IT is an integral part of our business model. Without it, we would not be as effective as we are. The issues I have is that many in IT do not know what their end users do. Help desk in particular. Even help desk needs to know what the business is. Unfortunately many on both sides do not want to gain an understanding of the other. Those that do are the ones who can make large pay checks. This is the true value add.

well most companies treat IT like crap, we don't make them a profit they can see, only spend money. I see that time and again, the IT budget is cut, the IT staff is cut, then people start complaining about their equipment failing ect, and then they yell at IT for it. Its a rare thing when the business side gives a damn about the IT people keeping their systems running so they can make money.

For an Internal IT within a company they should not be looking for a profit Period.
They are now looking only at profit and could care less about the end user, the mission of the end user.
It is called the "Death of the IT", and this is what is causing IT such a large turn around and the biggest loss the Experts.
Like lets pay ONE IT Tech a great Salary and can get the task in hand done in a timely manner to Two or Three Hourly IT Techs that are clueless about what they are doing and takes 200 or 300 times longer to complete the same task.
They should be providing the Company the support so that the End Users can do their job and not spend days at a time down because their computer's hard drive is dead. This is where IT has gone Wrong and why End Users Do Not Like IT in Large Companies.

IT can be measured in terms of profit, or rather cost savings. We prevent downtime, and further the technological vision of the company. Who do you think implements the tools departments utilize to generate profit? Showing cost savings isn't hard. Sure IT is usually seen as a necessary evil or an insurance policy, but if you know what you're doing you can be seen as a solutions provider internally and a cost savings source.

Any projects I work on, I try to look at how this will save money, and how quickly will we generate a return on our investment. I also dig my hands in anything I can. Last project I worked on saved on average about 10k a year in labor costs by automating reports that were previously manual. Implemented automated system imaging, so imaging a PC takes 1/3 of what it took previously. That's a labor savings of 2/3 that can now be allocated (my time) to another project production related.

Yes, but that was in the passed. Today IT wants to see Real Cash Profits.
We used to be a Cost Savings. I seen only Greed on IT Side now.
The Greed is the paying of all the upper level and mid level management.
They have turned into a organization of Chiefs and Dying out Indians.
All the Chiefs want to do is move up the Management Ladder now.
Sorry I don't care for Management it is just how I see them now.
10 Years Ago it was Not like this Management Did Care about the workers, now all they care about is pleasing their manager.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2232
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/01 19:45:48 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Holo
bcavnaugh
candle_86
Grey_Beard

10 Years Ago it was Not like this Management Did Care about the workers, now all they care about is pleasing their manager.

When a department or company loses perspective of their customer, they die.  IT has the potential.  We can say IT does have the respect and maybe they don't, but that is no reason to lose sight of your customer.  Management has to juggle much.  There are tough decisions to make.  No one wants to move up a ladder that has no future.  IT needs to be a liberator not a inhibiter.  Many times IT says that it cannot be done without understanding why it needs to be done.  What ever the business you are supporting, there needs to be perspective.  No one area is more important than another.  What you say may be true and this may be why we have lost our edge.  If management only cares about how they move up, then the business will fail.  The industry will fail if all companies act that way.  If IT does not learn what their customers do, then they will become irrelevant.  The equation is not cost reductions or profit, it is value.  Value is not only determined by costs or profits, it is how well you do something.  The quality of what you deliver.  Many companies have done this, but then they get centered on something else and fail.  When you add value, no one wants to replace you, as you cannot be replaced without reducing the overall value.  Value is what must be sought, not margins.  When there is value, then the rest come along.  Why do you buy a certain type of deodorant, it has a perceived value in your eyes.  At some point, though, if the cost of the item exceeds the value your perceive for it, you make another value determination.  It's about value.  In the real world, IT or any other department must add value to the overall organization even if it is just a cost or even if it produces revenue.

Holo
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3328
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/02 11:23:53 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Holo
bcavnaugh
candle_86
Grey_Beard

No IT is what you make people perceive you as. IT can be seen as a cost savings, a cost center, a technological push for the company, anything. Your assessment of IT is flawed to the nth degree because you, if you are IT, are perceived in a negative manner. Plus you complain about what a low level person would complain in a department, not someone with decades of experience in IT.

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/02 11:36:03 (permalink)
I can see this argument going on indefinitely - but I would point out that there are a lot of different meanings to "IT", and also that bcavnaugh DOES have decades of experience there.

My perspective is as an engineer relying on IT folks for hardware repair and corporate networking setup, at a large company.  Over the 15 years there, the "IT department" got smaller and smaller, with more and more of the jobs that didn't require "hands on" moving offshore.  The best networking guys stayed and became more of a network planning group, with the actual implementation going to contractors and temps.  The hardware support guys (ones that fix broken laptops etc) went from 1-2 dedicated per building to one per 2 buildings.  The help desk jobs all went to India.

My sister-in-law worked at a large computer company for 25+ years, and her last job was L2 phone support for specific customers.  That job was moved to Mexico, where it was cheaper to have 2 less efficient workers replace her, but only after she was forced to train them.

As was previously pointed out, if you have the means to get it, an engineering degree is a big plus long-term.

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/02 13:08:53 (permalink)
Punchy
I can see this argument going on indefinitely - but I would point out that there are a lot of different meanings to "IT", and also that bcavnaugh DOES have decades of experience there.

My perspective is as an engineer relying on IT folks for hardware repair and corporate networking setup, at a large company.  Over the 15 years there, the "IT department" got smaller and smaller, with more and more of the jobs that didn't require "hands on" moving offshore.  The best networking guys stayed and became more of a network planning group, with the actual implementation going to contractors and temps.  The hardware support guys (ones that fix broken laptops etc) went from 1-2 dedicated per building to one per 2 buildings.  The help desk jobs all went to India.

My sister-in-law worked at a large computer company for 25+ years, and her last job was L2 phone support for specific customers.  That job was moved to Mexico, where it was cheaper to have 2 less efficient workers replace her, but only after she was forced to train them.

As was previously pointed out, if you have the means to get it, an engineering degree is a big plus long-term.

thats why you refuse to train your replacements
Bruno747
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3909
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/02 19:05:39 (permalink)
You know I hear the refuse to train replacements fairly often. I just can't imagine how that works out. If I as a manager asked you to work with someone and you refuse that just puts you at the top of the get rid of list. Then guess what, should my pleads to management to be able to keep a few people around get approved, you still get canned.

You can make yourself important and vital but there is nothing you or I can do that another tech can't do. Burning bridges close to the end does nothing to help either side.

The other thing that I hear in here is lots of disgust for end users. Keep in mind that just like Microsoft, many of us have made significant amounts of money that we otherwise wouldn't have without them. If you can keep your end users happy, the chances of getting out sourced decrease nicely. I don't mean just keep management happy. By the same token if your disdain drips through there gets to be a general feeling of what are we paying these guys for. Before you know it the O word gets tossed out and you are required to write down why you should keep your job rather than let a guy in India handle it at significantly reduced costs.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2232
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/02 19:32:39 (permalink)
Call it what you want, but it's about value. Dollars matter, but value is the name of the game. You can think you are important, but when you add value, you are. IT must add value or the "O" word is the clear alternative. Why pay maximum and get minimum, when someone from India (regardless of who trained them) can give you that same minimum and cost you minimum or less. Value is understanding what the end user does. If the staff of the organization feel I add no value, then they can make me no longer needed and convince the board that I need to go. Many here have great experience and have seen many things, both good and bad. I have been management all my life. I have made decisions that cost jobs. I have also made decisions that created jobs. I definitely strive for the latter. If I add no value in even my position, then the board will replace me. Those are my experiences being in senior management for 25 years. Management has created situations where services are treated more like commodities that can be farmed out to the lowest bidder. But I have to interject, if there was value created, then the perception would not be that the service was a commodity. I enjoy reading these perspectives, as they help me to understand. If there is not value in even reading this, then why would I do it? Yes IT can reduce costs and help people be efficient, but so can many other things.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/02 20:01:18 (permalink)
I trained my replacement for almost 2 Years off and on that is before I retired.
SharePoint Farm and Server Management and Maintenance is not as easy as most would like to think, and then to also support the user base that uses it.
My Goal was to ensure that the end users would be taken care of.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/03/02 20:02:41

DStith
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/04 14:50:44 (permalink)
cisco0623
OP, is that statistic the entire USA? It really depends on region. Here in NYC any help desk person should be pulling in $50k to start, but its NYC. I know out in the mid west people do the same for $35k tops with year of exp. 

Also it depends on the sector: banking, medical, law, etc. They all have different pay scales that surprisingly vary more than you'd think of the same position (meaning a Help desk analyst working at a bank makes more than in medical). Also you have to factor in specialization within IT. (A help desk person who works for specialized banking software company makes well north of that $68k figure because of how specialized, but in demand their knowledge is.) 

This is my exact point.  I can also see where NYC would make more money than where I live and I'm in California.  It really depends on your location.  Even if you are in upstate NY it might not be as much since it isn't the big apple.

Old rig, ftw: Evga 790i FTW, SLI Evga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked 4GB RAM Core2Duo E8400 (parted out, gone)
New rig 8th Generation i7 8700k with GTX 2080ti upgraded from GTX 670 4GB and 64gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB ddr4, some NVME drives and and a couple 480GB SATA III ssds.  Evga 7" Tegra Nvidia quadcore tablet.  Evga Z10 Keyboard

DStith
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/04 15:00:18 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
DStith

If you are really that hard up to do IT, I suggest getting a degree in electrical engineering or computer science from an accredited institution (no, not some teach yourself or some online courses, come on guys).

Let’s see, I have a GED or HS Diploma whatever you want to call it. I received it while serving in the US Army for 20 years.
My last 5 years in the US Army I started working in computer, building 80286, 386, 486, 586 or Pentium, OS and Software Installations, Computer Security, Networking all hand-on, or more directly ordered to do it.
OK 20 Years 3 Months 6 Days Later,
I started back in the Civilian Sector still with only a HS Diploma and started at $17 an hour and in 6 months $19 an hour.
Setting up HP Workstations (NT 3.51) and Laptops and deploying them to the end users as a sub-contractor. I worked for about 9 months and then moved over to a large company with a starting Salary of 33K doing the same as before and general Desktop Support (Rotation in a Help Desk) for end users, Printer Management/Maintenance, Print Server and Web Servers Administrator.
Still only with my HS Diploma 17 years later I retired as a SharePoint Farm Administrator, SharePoint End User Support, Server Support and so on all on the Windows Side.
All by Self Training; Starting From PC/MS DOS, Windows 3.11, 95, 98SE, NT 3.51, NT 4, NT 2000, NT 2003, Windows XP, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008R2, FrontPage Servers, SharePoint Services WSS 2.0, WSS 3.0, SharePoint Server 2007, SharePoint Server 2010 and my Ending Salary was 93K. Training Provide by the US Army Computer Security. Training provided by the Company I worked for Zero.
Would I have liked a BA in Computers Sure? I am not saying that anyone can do this nor should anyone have to do this, but it was what I chose to do and move up the Ladder as I did not want to do Desktop or Help Desk Support for the rest of my life.
Today I am retired and collecting two pensions and doing ok, do I miss it YES, Do I miss the Stress NO, Do I miss the Long Hours NO.
I am still young at 57, funning I was born in 57.

Last time I interviewed for a job, the interviewer thought everything I had was self taught and as a "hobby" and scoffed me on the phone.  I was like if you could gather that much from my resume, then why bother calling me for the job?  And since when is 6 years of IT support a hobby.  I didn't realize jobs suddenly are hobbies.  If you can see that I don't have a diploma and haven't taken a university level course in SQL and made it appear that SQL was "desirable but not required" for the job and then suddenly require it, why call me?  I swear sometimes I think the people interviewing for jobs shouldn't even have the position that they are in trying to attempt to find personnel.  I can do the IT work but I can't do it if I don't get hired for a job.  Usually if someone gets in a position and they want someone to do some database or any kind of code, they work with the employee and the employee obtains the skills from some courses.  If they are having too difficult of a time finding personnel that already has the skills but isn't willing to do their mediocre job, then they should be considering hiring someone that is willing to obtain the skills to do it while learning how to fit in the job they get.  Where I live, it isn't easy to find an IT job.  I'm going into engineering and I'm going to try CS and have a fall back on drafting design as soon as I get the classes done for my fall back.  IT work?  good luck finding it here.  IT isn't valued where I'm at unless you are doing the server work like some people are mentioning in this thread.  Otherwise you'd be better off making money installing Dish, cable, and DSL.  Those jobs from what I hear pay what desktop support, LAN, and infrastructure is suppose to be paying here or even more.  It's like if you already know some LAN technology, you know how to make cables and how to source parts so naturally the IT tech will fit in to doing installations for television and internet.

Anyway once you get sifted out of IT you start to open your eyes and see there are more interesting things to do with your brain.  Do you think the guy that designs your EVGA video card is an IT technician?  He isn't.  He's an engineer.  Even though he might not design the chip that you play call of duty with, he knows how to take some CAD software and design the layout of the board to spec or over spec of the design given to him by nvidia.  He doesn't go do tech work on the LAN at evga nor does he do desktop support.  There's all kinds of jobs out there.  Limiting yourself to IT can be a burden.

Old rig, ftw: Evga 790i FTW, SLI Evga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked 4GB RAM Core2Duo E8400 (parted out, gone)
New rig 8th Generation i7 8700k with GTX 2080ti upgraded from GTX 670 4GB and 64gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB ddr4, some NVME drives and and a couple 480GB SATA III ssds.  Evga 7" Tegra Nvidia quadcore tablet.  Evga Z10 Keyboard

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/04 15:02:43 (permalink)
That is true about IT but for me now it is a hobby, I like building Water Cooled Computers now.
So I only support myself so to say. Also I do not have the brain to be an Engineer and now to old to care.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/03/04 15:04:38

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile