EVGA

Z75 SLI No video on boot, overall weirdness with SATA

Author
rkarsk
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/02/28 22:13:05 (permalink)
My Z75 has not been booting with video. The monitors (tried two different ones, one with DVI and one with HDMI) simply read no signal from my graphics card (R9 280x). The fans spin up, and the MOBO shows either 64, A2, A6, or A0 code. The same occurs with my older graphics card (HD7770). Switching bios, resetting them, powering off/unplugging etc does not nothing. The bios is up to date at version 1.22. Strangely, the only thing that has worked is either unplugging all my SATA devices, or plugging in my Windows 8.1 USB stick, or a combination of both (both are inconsistent). Only then does it magically boot with video. But, even after doing so it often asks my to insert boot media.

It seems that the mobo 'forgets' the existence of the Windows Boot Manager. And somehow, this causes or is related to no video output.

Obviously this is a huge PITA...

I have read online to try disabling UEFI boot and enabling Legacy for windows 8.1. Or, in other words, disabling 'Secure Boot'. I follow the steps in the windows boot menu, but ultimately cannot find a setting in the EVGA bios.

Could you point me in the right direction? How do I fix this extremely frustrating problem? 

Edit: also, strangely, once I get video working I can reset the computer as many times as I want and encounter no issues. However, when I go to sleep or simply leave the PC off for several hours, when I come back i invariably encounter the same problem. Frustrating!!!
Edit 2: Unplugging my PSU long enough that the white LED on the board entirely turns off recreates the issue all over again, just like the edit above.
Edit 3: This issue appears to be BIOS specific. With enough unplugging and replugging and restarting and resetting, I got one BIOS to show video. Switching to the other bios, I lost video again. Switching back.. I gained it again. When power is lost, both BIOS malfunction again.

post edited by rkarsk - 2015/02/28 23:22:12

5 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102263
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Z75 SLI No video on boot, overall weirdness with SATA 2015/03/01 02:55:11 (permalink)
    Remove the motherboard battery and reset the CMOS back to default. Wait about 15 minutes put the battery back in and see if the problems continue. If the problems continue try one different sata cable on one hard drive only.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

rkarsk
    Re: Z75 SLI No video on boot, overall weirdness with SATA 2015/03/01 09:11:38 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Remove the motherboard battery and reset the CMOS back to default. Wait about 15 minutes put the battery back in and see if the problems continue. If the problems continue try one different sata cable on one hard drive only.

Should I press the CMOS reset button with no battery there? Or should I reset before/after removing the battery?
    rkarsk
    Re: Z75 SLI No video on boot, overall weirdness with SATA 2015/03/02 11:23:40 (permalink)
    Hello,

I tried resetting the BIOS several times. My old 7770 is at least working normally again. However, my HIS 280x is still not functioning. My research consistently brings me back to an issue where 7970/280X cards have issues with UEFI compatibility. Is anyone aware of a workaround? From what I read, setting the graphics mode to Legacy rather than UEFI fixes the issue. However, I see no such option in the EVGA BIOS. I hope this is not an oversight on EVGA's side. This would explain the issues with the Boot Manager disappearing as well.

If I can't fix it on the motherboard side, maybe I can flash a new UEFI BIOS on the card side?
    rkarsk
    Re: Z75 SLI No video on boot, overall weirdness with SATA 2015/03/02 13:00:44 (permalink)
    Edit: accidental double post
    post edited by rkarsk - 2015/03/02 13:03:34
    rkarsk
    Re: Z75 SLI No video on boot, overall weirdness with SATA 2015/03/02 13:01:53 (permalink)
    From EVGA's own FAQ:

FAQ ID # 59421
    No video at POST, Windows 8 prebuilt system with Secure Boot
    Last Update : 2014/04/03
    "To fix this issue you will usually just need to plug the monitor back into the onboard video to get video, then go into the BIOS to disable Secure Boot. "

Where can I find this option? Please tell me EVGA designed their bios with their own FAQ in mind...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile