Why 14 days for step up registration?

Author
bkhan530
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/02/22 01:00:44 (permalink)
I don't understand the logic behind the narrow 14 day registration requirement to qualify for step-up? Is this just some sleazy way for EVGA to make money on extended warranty sales? I wasn't even aware of this until today when I took a look out of curiosity and saw I missed the window by 3 days. Basically most people would probably be oblivious to the 14 day requirement until they somehow found out about step-up and realize they then need to spend another $30 per card - in my case $60 for two 980s. Normally I only buy EVGA cards and recommend them to other people but this really has me thinking twice about it. Not there's anything for me to step up to but it's the principle of it all. 
post edited by bkhan530 - 2015/02/22 01:01:47

29 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 02:02:59 (permalink)
    Sleazy way to make money?  No.. There is no requirement to offer step-up at all, so there is nothing sleezy about it.  It is to keep people from deciding at day 85 they suddenly want a better card for free, when  better card for the same price becomes available.  Just think of 14 days as a grace period.  They could make it 7 or require the purchase of the extended warranty right away, which would be fair still, rather than you thinking it is "sleazy".. Basically, in short, you had 14 days for a possible free upgrade route and missed it.  Nothing sleazy about a $30 upgrade to an item that would otherwise be $540 and require you to pawn your used equipment onto someone else and try to make at least enough back to only have to pay 50% to upgrade. 

Feel free to buy another brand and try to pay for their extended warranty so that you can get an otherwise cheap upgrade.  You will figure out that you are thinking wrong, especially if you buy from one of the companies that doesn't allow modification of the card at all.

bkhan530
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 02:08:29 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Sleazy way to make money?  No.. There is no requirement to offer step-up at all, so there is nothing sleezy about it.  It is to keep people from deciding at day 85 they suddenly want a better card for free, when  better card for the same price becomes available.  Just think of 14 days as a grace period.  They could make it 7 or require the purchase of the extended warranty right away, which would be fair still, rather than you thinking it is "sleazy".. Basically, in short, you had 14 days for a possible free upgrade route and missed it.  Nothing sleazy about a $30 upgrade to an item that would otherwise be $540 and require you to pawn your used equipment onto someone else and try to make at least enough back to only have to pay 50% to upgrade. 

Feel free to buy another brand and try to pay for their extended warranty so that you can get an otherwise cheap upgrade.  You will figure out that you are thinking wrong, especially if you buy from one of the companies that doesn't allow modification of the card at all.

Sorry buddy, you don't get a card for FREE using step-up, you still have to pay the difference unless you're going to something cheaper in value. Usually next generation cards that are better tend to be more expensive, not cheaper. None of what you said justifies the 14 day period, all you gave me was a bunch of finger pointing at other brands and excuses. I still want to know why there's that 14 day arbitrary period and why people have to pay for an extended warranty to requalify for a step up, especially if they missed this window within 72 hours. It's just a way to make a quick buck from what I see. If you weren't drinking the kool aid you'd see that it's pretty obvious. And for what it's worth, I never have used step up and doubt I would have because I tend to change video cards regularly and sell them on the forum when I'm done with them.

However, I made this post because I want to know what made EVGA pick 14 days and why they are so firm on forcing people to purchase extended warranty just to qualify for it again. Either offer it for the entire 90 days or don't offer it all. And yes, I will probably consider looking at other brands because I don't like these kinds of tactics no matter how well intentioned they may seem. 
    post edited by bkhan530 - 2015/02/22 02:41:32
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 04:44:00 (permalink)

bkhan530
    Scarlet-Tech
    Sleazy way to make money?  No.. There is no requirement to offer step-up at all, so there is nothing sleezy about it.  It is to keep people from deciding at day 85 they suddenly want a better card for free, when  better card for the same price becomes available..  Just think of 14 days as a grace period.  They could make it 7 or require the purchase of the extended warranty right away, which would be fair still, rather than you thinking it is "sleazy".. Basically, in short, you had 14 days for a possible free upgrade route and missed it.  Nothing sleazy about a $30 upgrade to an item that would otherwise be $540 and require you to pawn your used equipment onto someone else and try to make at least enough back to only have to pay 50% to upgrade. 

Sorry buddy, you don't get a card for FREE using step-up, you still have to pay the difference unless you're going to something cheaper in value. Usually next generation cards that are better tend to be more expensive, not cheaper. None of what you said justifies the 14 day period, all you gave me was a bunch of finger pointing at other brands and excuses. I still want to know why there's that 14 day arbitrary period and why people have to pay for an extended warranty to requalify for a step up, especially if they missed this window within 72 hours. It's just a way to make a quick buck from what I see. If you weren't drinking the kool aid you'd see that it's pretty obvious. And for what it's worth, I never have used step up and doubt I would have because I tend to change video cards regularly and sell them on the forum when I'm done with them.

However, I made this post because I want to know what made EVGA pick 14 days and why they are so firm on forcing people to purchase extended warranty just to qualify for it again. Either offer it for the entire 90 days or don't offer it all. And yes, I will probably consider looking at other brands because I don't like these kinds of tactics no matter how well intentioned they may seem. 

If you had bought a GTX 770 6 weeks before 970 released, and realized the 970 stomps the 770, and they were the same price, you would pay shipping and nothing more.  So, free:  It is to keep people from deciding at day 85 they suddenly want a better card for free, when  better card for the same price becomes available.  Think GTX 770 Classified to 970.  the 970 almost keeps up with 780's which is a big performance increase, and you can step up to ANY 970.. any... the only one currently limited is the 980, and that is only the base model that is available for step-up.

If you feel that you paying $30 plus the difference to upgrade is a bad thing, then your thought process is seriously flawed. Sell your card at a 30-50% loss and see what happens, pay for the shipping and full price of a new card. *edit* this is also addressed by the second statement below*

Now, lets address these three statements: If you weren't drinking the kool aid you'd see that it's pretty obvious.  No kool-aid as I purchase cards outside of the step-up range.  You statement is a moot point.

And for what it's worth, I never have used step up and doubt I would then what do you care?  People that are stepping up would be happy to pay the difference +$30  to save a 100-300 loss on most other cards.

And yes, I will probably consider looking at other brands because I don't like these kinds of tactics no matter how well intentioned they may seem. This wouldn't prove anything. Wouldn't matter either.  You would be the only person that knew.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/02/22 04:52:44
    bkhan530
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 05:43:32 (permalink)
    Your argument makes no sense at all. If the people registered their cards with EVGA within 14 days, they can STILL decide to get that step up 85 days down the road. Except if they registered their card the 15th day of ownership, then they have to pay a fee of $30 per card for no reason at all under the guise of extended warranty. This is a money grab plain and simple. Now if they bought a card from say Amazon and 1 week later a better newer model came out, they could simply return it to Amazon for a 100% refund and bypass the step up program entirely. So again, why does EVGA feel the need to charge people $30 per card? Step up should be FREE for 90 days to all original EVGA card owners, rather than be stuck with some arbitrary 14 day registration limit and then penalized with $30 fees per card. I'm actually surprised more people haven't called them out on this. 
    post edited by bkhan530 - 2015/02/22 05:47:23
    howdy2u2
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1896
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 07:33:15 (permalink)
    How about EVGA just drop it altogether? That way they can be like all the other brands and you can be stuck with what you purchased with no option to upgrade to a "newer version" for low cost. Unless you'd rather sell your card at a loss when the "newer version" comes out and pay full price for it.

I can't grasp your complaint honestly......Are you so "excited" with your new graphics card that you cannot remember to register it for warranty? Seriously, I register everything that requires it before it is even installed/ plugged in/ operational. Invoices uploaded and any other thing that is required.  BECAUSE........You know it's so inconvenient to log on to the net and find the registration page, fill out forms, upload if necessary blah blah blah READ THE FINE PRINT. BUT WHOA I was too inconvenienced and excited about my GPU, forgot to register in a timely manner to even be eligible for "step up"  AND THEN EVGA has the guts to make you purchase an extended warranty!?!?!?!?!?!? For something they don't even have to offer in the first place?????? OMG OMG OMG    $30 minimum to Step-up plus what ever the difference compared to an out right loss on just selling the card, yup sleazy way to pad the ole bottom line...........Wow just WOW........ It's amazing, register your GPU and check the registration (My Products) and BAM!!!! "Step up" option is right on the screen...........Oh that's right I was way to excited to register it right when I got it...............

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 08:06:25 (permalink)

Your complaint is just silly and warrants no more attention at all, but check this out:  The extended warranty for any company that I can find, is only offered for the first 90 days.  What does that mean?  You purchase within the first 90 days and get the step up for free.  If you register before the first 14 days, you aren't required to purchase it, as a bonus.  You are probably going to complain

Ok, now that you are going to be absolutely blind enough to keep complaining, and I already see it... "

Will my extended warranty transfer to my new product?

Yes, any product that is auto-registered through EVGA's RMA system will have its extended warranty transferred to the new product." 

So, your step up gets a free extended warranty.. Holy.. Wow.. what a nice company.. When registering within the first 14 days, you get the pleasure of purchasing the extended warranty on the next product, that costs the same exact amount, and if you buy something more expensive, you get the pleasure of paying MORE.  So.... now what would you like to say about it?  If you want to complain about it, at this point, you probably won't get much more attention..

Now let's build you a scenario: Scenario 1. Todd buys a EVGA 970 FTW+ and pays $389 (that would be the red arrow below).  He registers on days 15 for the EAR because his cards arrives on the 15th day.. sad face, Todd pays $20 for the under $400 Extended Warranty.  The next day, Todd reads reviews that only 3.5gb of the 4gb VRAM is utilized, and gets all upset and posts on the forum..  Someone tells Todd to step up, so he steps up to the base 980 SC (that is the blue arrow below) and realizes, oh snap, that extended warranty was $10 more dollars, yet the new card has a 5 year warranty now, without that extra money.  Todd decides to put a water block on his card, because it will run cooler.  Todd buys a waterblock, installs it, and it dies.. Todd puts the ACX cooler back on, send it in and gets it fixed.. Hooray for Todd.

Scenario 2: Todd buys and ASUS GTX 970, pays the same price, realizes the same issue on day 16 after reading on the forums, and sad face, Todd is stuck with that card.  Sucks for Todd.  Well, he decides to go ahead and put a waterblock on, since he is stuck with the card.. He buys the block, installs the card, and it fails.  He sends it back to ASUS.. Same card comes back to Todd with a note, "thanks for removing your anti tamper sticker, your extended warranty is voided, have a nice day."  Todd cries because he lost over $500 with no chance at a step-up ever, and also has no video card.. Now what Todd?  Enjoy those integrated graphics while your brick holds paper down on your desk, Todd.

Hope you like the illustration.  The chip you have on your shoulder is unwarranted and silly, so I will only read from this point on.  No point in putting out a fire that does no damage or has no heat.

*Addition* I am really bored, so I had the entire 3 minutes it took to make the illustration for others as well. 

Do you think I am blind? Probably.  Do I care? Nope.  Was that too long to read? Probably.  Do I care... same answer as before. ;-)
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/02/22 08:12:07

Attached Image(s)

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 11:02:47 (permalink)
    I don't understand the logic behind the OP issues, no other company has an upgrade path like the Step-Up Program that EVGA has provide to us. The Step-Up Program has some simple rules, follow them it is not that hard. It is their Program not ours.
    If you like and buy EVGA products then you should complete the registration the day you received the item.
    I do this with all my buys for any EVGA product, I also pay for any extended warranty if offered.
    So time wise I am really glad for the extra 14 days to complete the registration. Still though you have a 90 Day Window to Step-Up.
    As it is from the date you receive the item not the date you ordered the item, you need the Serial Number before you can register it.
    Like most users who buy something then lack in completing the registration then find an issue and then they complain about.

Scarlet-Tech, I had no idea you wrote books
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/02/22 11:34:30

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 14:02:53 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    I don't understand the logic behind the OP issues, no other company has an upgrade path like the Step-Up Program that EVGA has provide to us. The Step-Up Program has some simple rules, follow them it is not that hard. It is their Program not ours.
    If you like and buy EVGA products then you should complete the registration the day you received the item.
    I do this with all my buys for any EVGA product, I also pay for any extended warranty if offered.
    So time wise I am really glad for the extra 14 days to complete the registration. Still though you have a 90 Day Window to Step-Up.
    As it is from the date you receive the item not the date you ordered the item, you need the Serial Number before you can register it.
    Like most users who buy something then lack in completing the registration then find an issue and then they complain about.

"Register your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 14 days of your original purchase date." it is the date of purchase, so if shipping takes 15 days, it is still required to purchase the Extended Warranty.

I also love to write short stories.. lol.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 14:31:28 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech

"Register your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 14 days of your original purchase date." it is the date of purchase, so if shipping takes 15 days, it is still required to purchase the Extended Warranty.

I also love to write short stories.. lol.

It would be unfair of EVGA then for what you are saying.
    Then EVGA Should allow us to Register without a Serial Number and they do not.

I hope that EVGA Will Clarify this.

Why I as is if I ordered an Item from Amazon and it takes 30 Days before it can be shipped then their is an Issue Here!
    On Amazon now their shipping time from Order Date is 1 Month to 2 Months.

With this I can no longer buy EVGA Products from Amazon.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/02/22 14:36:15

bkhan530
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 16:01:46 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh

That's the point, if a user is not aware of it in their first 14 days then they are basically screwed due to some arbitrary 14 day registration limit. Not everyone is aware of the step up registration requirements, I certainly wasn't because I never cared about it or used it until I looked it up yesterday and was surprised they were trying to push $30/card to extend that limit. Also as it's been pointed out to you, the limit starts the day you bought it, not the day you received the item. 

Scarlet-Tech, really dude, your little story doesn't address at all the crux of the issue, instead you're going off topic with your nonsense stories and scenarios. If you can't give a solid reason for the 14 day limit, then stop wasting space in this thread. 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 18:07:36 (permalink)
    bkhan530
    bcavnaugh

That's the point, if a user is not aware of it in their first 14 days then they are basically screwed due to some arbitrary 14 day registration limit. Not everyone is aware of the step up registration requirements, I certainly wasn't because I never cared about it or used it until I looked it up yesterday and was surprised they were trying to push $30/card to extend that limit. Also as it's been pointed out to you, the limit starts the day you bought it, not the day you received the item. 

Scarlet-Tech, really dude, your little story doesn't address at all the crux of the issue, instead you're going off topic with your nonsense stories and scenarios. If you can't give a solid reason for the 14 day limit, then stop wasting space in this thread. 

I would like EVGA to make a statement on this.
    "Also as it's been pointed out to you, the limit starts the day you bought it, not the day you received the item. "
    But as I said I don't wait to register, I do it as soon as I receive it.
    Then again Amazon charges when the item is shipped so now when it the real bought date?

We have 3 Dates:
    Ordered Date:
    Charged Date:
    Shipping Date:

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/02/22 19:36:22

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/22 19:23:42 (permalink)
    So the OP is pissed because he didn't review the warranty on a $300+ video card and now missed out something

Onely one to blame is yourself
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1461
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/23 09:17:06 (permalink)
    bkhan530
    I don't understand the logic behind the narrow 14 day registration requirement to qualify for step-up? Is this just some sleazy way for EVGA to make money on extended warranty sales? I wasn't even aware of this until today when I took a look out of curiosity and saw I missed the window by 3 days. Basically most people would probably be oblivious to the 14 day requirement until they somehow found out about step-up and realize they then need to spend another $30 per card - in my case $60 for two 980s. Normally I only buy EVGA cards and recommend them to other people but this really has me thinking twice about it. Not there's anything for me to step up to but it's the principle of it all. 

All,

I do apologize for any confusion please keep in mind that the step-up program is an optional program.  The Step-up program when it was first introduced, was only available to customer's who purchased a limited lifetime warrantied product.  Since then, we extended the program to be offered to those who purchased an EVGA product that did not carry an limited lifetime warranty however an extended warranty would need to be purchased on the original product to qualify.  In an effort to extend further, we now offer a 14 day window where you can step-up without the need to buy the extended warranty to qualify.  

Keep in mind that the extended warranty that you purchase on the original product carries over to your stepped-up product.  It is not an attempt to pull wool over anyone rather there to further protect your investment. 

The step-up program is advertised on most mainstream products, on the forum, review sites and on the EVGA.com home page.  The terms are clear for the optional program if you wish to participate.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ 

Best Regards,

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/23 10:45:41 (permalink)
    Thanks EVGA_RMA_JaysonC,
    But from which Date dose it start from, that is the 14 Day Window.

The Ordered Date?
    The CC Charged Date?
    The Shipping Date?
    Or the Received Date?

EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    RMA Management
    • Total Posts : 1461
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/23 12:35:07 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Thanks EVGA_RMA_JaysonC,
    But from which Date dose it start from, that is the 14 Day Window.

The Ordered Date?
    The CC Charged Date?
    The Shipping Date?
    Or the Received Date?

In regards to the date, the 14 day window begins from the date of purchase just like our warranty services and promotional services.  

Newegg, Tiger Direct, Amazon and so on have a date of purchase or a date you placed your order.  This is considered the date EVGA goes by.  

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards,

-Jayson- EVGA USA RMA Dept.
    Reddit/Twitter - u/EVGA_JaysonC   @evga_jaysonc 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/23 12:42:14 (permalink)
    Yes, so it is the date you order an item. If it takes 2 Months to ship then you are out of luck and will have to pay the $30 if within the 90 Days you want to do a Step-Up. For me this will take out ordering products from Amazon that show a shipping time of 1 to 2 Months. Good News is most are in stock at this time. In Stock item should not be an issue as the ship out in 1 to 2 Days.

bkhan530
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/23 14:12:39 (permalink)
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    bkhan530

All,

I do apologize for any confusion please keep in mind that the step-up program is an optional program.  The Step-up program when it was first introduced, was only available to customer's who purchased a limited lifetime warrantied product.  Since then, we extended the program to be offered to those who purchased an EVGA product that did not carry an limited lifetime warranty however an extended warranty would need to be purchased on the original product to qualify.  In an effort to extend further, we now offer a 14 day window where you can step-up without the need to buy the extended warranty to qualify.  

Keep in mind that the extended warranty that you purchase on the original product carries over to your stepped-up product.  It is not an attempt to pull wool over anyone rather there to further protect your investment. 

The step-up program is advertised on most mainstream products, on the forum, review sites and on the EVGA.com home page.  The terms are clear for the optional program if you wish to participate.

Best Regards,

Hi Jayson,

It's not as clear cut or evident as you think it is. I bet most of the new people buying EVGA cards don't have a clue about the 14 day limit. I didn't even know because I never checked until recently. I'll give you a quick example of what I mean: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041444683&postcount=32  That guy is someone I steered towards EVGA rather than MSI/Asus and see his response when I mention the 14 day thing to him. If you guys are not going to be flexible at all w/the 14 days, then make it in bold on your boxes and clearly visible so people know about it. Otherwise I still view it as unfair that people have to purchase extended warranty (who really keeps these enthusiast cards for 5 years?) just to qualify for something they normally would have gotten for free if they knew about the 14 day limit. Furthermore, what about US troops who sometimes don't get their shipments to an APO for weeks? They are essentially screwed as well. 
    LittleGuy
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 315
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/23 22:34:18 (permalink)
    Thats why you have to read all the papers in/on the box. It should say somewhere in or on the box tells you that you have a 14 day limit. Its no ones fault but your own for not reading. Everyone should know by now that there is warrenty information packaged in there or something that tells you where to find it. This is not something new!

My Affiliate Code: 73ELXGWGG0
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/24 08:51:48 (permalink)
    bkhan530

Hi Jayson,

It's not as clear cut or evident as you think it is. I bet most of the new people buying EVGA cards don't have a clue about the 14 day limit. I didn't even know because I never checked until recently. I'll give you a quick example of what I mean: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041444683&postcount=32  That guy is someone I steered towards EVGA rather than MSI/Asus and see his response when I mention the 14 day thing to him. If you guys are not going to be flexible at all w/the 14 days, then make it in bold on your boxes and clearly visible so people know about it. Otherwise I still view it as unfair that people have to purchase extended warranty (who really keeps these enthusiast cards for 5 years?) just to qualify for something they normally would have gotten for free if they knew about the 14 day limit. Furthermore, what about US troops who sometimes don't get their shipments to an APO for weeks? They are essentially screwed as well. 

A grace period is just that.  Read the details, they aren't hidden.  It took 7 days to make it to Korea, but don't worry, EVGA doesn't ship to APO, so that is a moot point as well.  It requires going through companies that won't ship it any faster that snail mail, and then top it off with places like Incheon stealing the package when it comes through.  Next you may say, "Use a forwarding address"  EVGA doesn't ship to Forwarding addresses either.

So, your argument can be turned that the user has to ship it to family or trustworthy firends.  I had a PSU sent to my mom.  Had her take a picture of the serial number and I registered it 4 days after it was ordered.  Other users, living overseas, can do exactly the same. The serial number is displayed on all EVGA products, so it doesn't require family to open it.  Pulling the "US Troops are left out" is completely incorrect. 

Step-up is a nice thing for EVGA to do.  They don't display terms and conditions on their packages do they? I have never seen the terms and conditions on the package, because it would cover the entire box just for the step-up alone.  I know it is on the website, and clearly labels out the terms and conditions.  Can't take the time to read them, then that isn't EVGA's fault.  Plain and simple, the whole complaint is still silly.

Furthermore, on the US Troops thing, most of the specials and offers don't apply to APO address, so "We" alqay catch the short end of the stick.  Thankfully RMA isn't limited to the country we live in.  The real question is, can US Troops even use step up when living at an APO address?  "EVGA Step-Up is currently only available to residents of the United States (not including outlying territories), Canada and EU Countries."  APO is considered outlying where shipping isn't available, so it may be required to be shipped back to the US anyway.  Thankfully, I moved back to the US for the first time in 4 years today, so now I can start taking advantage of the EVGA bucks and everything I have saved up.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/02/24 09:06:31
    bkhan530
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/26 20:07:58 (permalink)
    They should absolutely have it in bold, "Must register within 14 days of purchase to qualify for Step-Up". That wouldn't take the entire box, far from it. The rest of the details can be printed on the accompanying sales/warranty booklet. I don't see anything coming from NVIDIA that would top the GTX 980 in less than 50 days so Step-Up doesn't apply to me but this is still something EVGA should take note of to improve their customer service. Furthermore, your argument of EVGA shipping or not to APO doesn't matter, people can buy from other retailers that do and if they don't, a lot of them do ship to forwarding addresses (my friend in Brazil uses them). 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/27 01:39:51 (permalink)
    You are proving yourself to be more and more silly.  If I can't get shipping from EVGA, how the heck am I supposed to use STEP-UP?  Buy from Best Buy? Best Buy doesn't do step-up.  Just stop.  You and your friends failed to read.  That is your fault, not something you blame for your failure.

RMA doesn't require a forwarding address for APO.  I tried to order mouse pads and have them sent to a forwarding address, and had to have them shipped home, and was told I couldn't order with a forwarding address again.  I wouldn't believe any of your claims at this point.  You seem to be grasping for justification at this point. Goodbye.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/02/27 01:42:06
    z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/27 16:33:08 (permalink)
    I know I've seen that company want their customers to register their products and do so quickly, though I'm not sure what they really gain from that, addition data about sales I guess? It's not that the 14 day requirement is bad per say, it's that the motive isn't really known? Then again I think I may be the only one asking that question.
    johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2076
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/02/28 01:16:19 (permalink)
    When I have bought a card out of stock, the invoice was dated the date of dispatch and therefore no issue, i would not expect a retailer to bill you a month before, I would cancel rather than allow them to sit on my cash for a month, this is a retailer issue not an EVGA issue in my 2c worth of course

ElementalFiend
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/03/22 17:29:36 (permalink)
    As a new EVGA owner, I'd like to add that I did feel a bit shafted to learn that I missed the step-up registration. Even the DMV gives you more time to register a vehicle. People have lives, with jobs and stuff. Step-Up isn't mentioned anywhere on/inside the box of my 970FTW, or in any of the paperwork that came with it. I did not know Step-Up was a thing that existed until I stumbled across it on the forums. 

EVGA_RMA_JaysonCIn an effort to extend further, we now offer a 14 day window where you can step-up without the need to buy the extended warranty to qualify. 
    Where is this communicated? How do new EVGA buyers / non-forum users learn about this 14 day limit? The box says you have 30 days to register. Whether intentional or not, it comes across as a punishment. Am I not invested enough in your product?

With that said, the extended warranty prices are VERY reasonable, and if that had been made obvious I probably would have purchased one when I received the product. But now I can't even find a way to purchase one. The warranty page has NO purchase links on it and the My Products>View Details button just refers you to the warranty page. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/03/25 06:09:33 (permalink)
    bkhan530
    EVGA_RMA_JaysonC
    bkhan530

All,

Best Regards,

Hi Jayson,

Normally, purchasing an extended warranty is required for step-up eligibility. The 14 day thing is a free bonus. Stop feeling like you are entitled to the step-up program without purchasing an extended warranty. Instead, realize that you are normally only qualified for the step-up program after purchasing the extended warranty. If you make it in within the 14 days, good for you -- free bonus. If you don't make it in within 14 days, business as usual.

Your complaint is fruitless. The more you complain, the more likely EVGA will just say "fine, no more free extended warranty enrollment option for the first 14 days." and then start charging everyone for the extended warranty equally.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/25 06:57:59
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/03/25 06:25:13 (permalink)
    ElementalFiend
    As a new EVGA owner, I'd like to add that I did feel a bit shafted to learn that I missed the step-up registration. Even the DMV gives you more time to register a vehicle. People have lives, with jobs and stuff. Step-Up isn't mentioned anywhere on/inside the box of my 970FTW, or in any of the paperwork that came with it. I did not know Step-Up was a thing that existed until I stumbled across it on the forums. 

EVGA_RMA_JaysonCIn an effort to extend further, we now offer a 14 day window where you can step-up without the need to buy the extended warranty to qualify. 
    Where is this communicated? How do new EVGA buyers / non-forum users learn about this 14 day limit? The box says you have 30 days to register. Whether intentional or not, it comes across as a punishment. Am I not invested enough in your product?

With that said, the extended warranty prices are VERY reasonable, and if that had been made obvious I probably would have purchased one when I received the product. But now I can't even find a way to purchase one. The warranty page has NO purchase links on it and the My Products>View Details button just refers you to the warranty page. 

If you register your product when you purchase it, it automatically gives you the option to purchase the extended warranty within the first 90 days. I understand people have lives, but when you pay 350+ for an item, why wouldn't you register it?

The step up is a nice thing provided for those that purchase. It isn't a requirement for them to advertise it, as it is a nice thing that no other company offers at all. If you had purchased on the premise of getting the step up option, I could understand your frustration, but finding out that there was something nice that you didn't know about after the fact is a little different.

When I received my first cards, it was at 30 days after purchase. I registered them immediately and got the option for the extended warranty, which explained that step up was a perk to having an extended warranty. My cards didn't even apply because of the ones I had purchased, and step up wasnt an option, as I could only go down, but it was clearly labeled when I registered.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/03/25 11:08:23 (permalink)
    not trying to join on this masquerade, but i think what the OP is trying to say (or ranting about) is EVGA taxing the $30 after the 14 day window, compared to someone who signed up within the 14 day window where they got a "free step-up. Even still $30 is a good deal for a step-up. EVGA has good services.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/03/25 12:07:05 (permalink)
    I understand the OP's complaint but in effect it ends up that he is basically saying that all people who got free registration in that 14 day window should have to pay in order to make everything equal. The fact of the matter is that an extended warranty is required to qualify for step-up. The 14 day window is just a nice free bonus which people can take advantage of.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/25 12:26:09
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Why 14 days for step up registration? 2015/03/25 12:47:17 (permalink)
    Well, somtimes people like to Ready/Fire/Aim, in that order, rather than "Ready/Aim/Fire" ...

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile