Salaries in the IT field

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/23 19:22:36 (permalink)
DenyGFX
Brad_Hawthorne
bcavnaugh
RushXTC
IT pays okay, But the field I'm in pays even better bro...

Sometimes I make up to $4,000 in less than a week depending on if I'm feeling lazy or not.

What do you do to make that kind of Money?

He wrecks cars for a living.

While delivering oddly shaped packages?

Yea, I heard it was the 102nd use for Duck Tape

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/23 22:11:12 (permalink)
At the place I work at, the IT side starts off at 55K a year. But maintenance gets 55K a year as well. They top out at about 90K a year. I got pretty close to snagging one of those IT jobs once, but that's long gone now... A buddy of mine gets about 70K a year working help desk, but he is like the companies universal helpdesk for just about any IT related issue and the company is very large.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

DStith
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/24 00:07:34 (permalink)
Inflated? 33-44k isn't a lot of money.  68k is a living wage.  Where I'm at, it is shown at about 59k average which is still a living wage.  entry level is going to be about 32 grand which isn't much of anything.  I did this work for 6 years and never got to the higher tiers so I'm getting more education and possibly switching to a different computer field to get the money.

I wouldn't suggest going to school just to do IT.  Get a diploma in CS or engineering and see where it lands you.  IT work is bonehead and you will be very bored if you have the wrong supervisor.

Old rig, ftw: Evga 790i FTW, SLI Evga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked 4GB RAM Core2Duo E8400 (parted out, gone)
New rig 8th Generation i7 8700k with GTX 2080ti upgraded from GTX 670 4GB and 64gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB ddr4, some NVME drives and and a couple 480GB SATA III ssds.  Evga 7" Tegra Nvidia quadcore tablet.  Evga Z10 Keyboard

ARMYguy
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1050
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/24 07:31:24 (permalink)
I started out making 28 k doing helpdesk, and now im client delivery (onsite) making 40k.  Luckily im in ohio where that is actually a good amount of money, i always have tons of extra spending money, and put my kid through private school. So it really just depends where you live. I have far more money to spend, than my brother does, and he makes more than double what i make, but lives next to Washington DC. It is all just where you live.

Asus Strix Z790 F - Intel 13700 K - Gigabyte 4090 Windforce - 32gb DDR 5 - 1TB Samsung SSD 850 evo - Windows 10 Pro - 1TB Samsung M.2 860 - Inland 2 TB NVMe - Acer Predator X27
Clergy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2291
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/24 10:53:57 (permalink)
There are so many deciding factors here it's just plain overwhelming.
  • previous work experience
  • education level (does not mean you are going to make far more starting out)
  • cost of living in your area
  • the job itself (no sense making your ideal pay if you wake up completely miserable every day)
  • the people you work with (a team is only as strong as its weakest link)
  • location (are you driving to a place your ok leaving your car) 
I think it's really important to look at the big picture when deciding if it's the right time to move on to a new job. Personally, am I making my ideal salary, no. But I enjoy my job, the people that I work with and in less than a year I went from help desk to a Sys Admin at a private school so I really can't complain. You should't base your decision off a number only. I realize it's an important number but hardly the entire picture.

Good Luck!

post edited by Clergy - 2015/03/07 23:17:52

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2232
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/24 11:30:40 (permalink)
Another thing to consider is where you are within your career and where you ultimately want to go. If you are new, then take almost anything to get experience. If you are more seasoned, then you can pick and choose based on type of work, what you want to do and what you want to make. Ultimately the salary level may be negotiable. If you can prove that you add value, you can get the higher end of the range. Every interview is an opportunity to sell yourself. The experience opens the door, but your personality and communication seals the deal. Remember that you do not know the employers range, but there is no reason you should accept the initial offer. If you are currently within a role, then interview or find other places that pay $X for a certain role. Most employers do "go to the market", which means they periodically do surveys of what is paid by other employers for that position. This stops them from having experienced or log term employees getting overtaken by newly hired employees because the overall market is pushing salaries up, in other words there is a compression of the wages in that position. These wide ranging salary publications can do more damage than good, but are a good basis for decision making, as long as you know they are parameters and not reality on most cases. IT is a good field with long term need.

DStith
Superclocked Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/25 00:04:23 (permalink)
Clergy
  • the job itself (no sense making your ideal pay if you wake up completely miserable every day)
I think it's really important to look at the big picture when deciding if it's the right time to move on to a new job. Personally, am I making my ideal salary, no. But I enjoy my job, the people that I work with and in less that a year I went from help desk to a Sys Admin at a private school so I really can't complain. You should't base your decision off a number only. I realize it's an important number but hardly the entire picture.

Good Luck!

Yeah it'd be bad if you work for under 40k for many years and then have to re-locate to a place that is expensive to live at.  Even though your wage would go up, the previous money is still the same.

Personally I don't recommend anyone doing the IT career for the long term.  There's more interesting things to do with your mind and you can make more money if you know how to do more stuff than just IT support.

I know a friend of mine still is doing IT and he is pretty much trapped at the job he has and likely doesn't get more education on his own or even attempt to work elsewhere.  So he'll be stuck there for good.  This is what happens when people flunk out of math and sleep in class.

Old rig, ftw: Evga 790i FTW, SLI Evga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked 4GB RAM Core2Duo E8400 (parted out, gone)
New rig 8th Generation i7 8700k with GTX 2080ti upgraded from GTX 670 4GB and 64gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB ddr4, some NVME drives and and a couple 480GB SATA III ssds.  Evga 7" Tegra Nvidia quadcore tablet.  Evga Z10 Keyboard

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/25 09:42:04 (permalink)
DStith

Yeah it'd be bad if you work for under 40k for many years and then have to re-locate to a place that is expensive to live at.  Even though your wage would go up, the previous money is still the same.

Personally I don't recommend anyone doing the IT career for the long term.  There's more interesting things to do with your mind and you can make more money if you know how to do more stuff than just IT support.

I know a friend of mine still is doing IT and he is pretty much trapped at the job he has and likely doesn't get more education on his own or even attempt to work elsewhere.  So he'll be stuck there for good.  This is what happens when people flunk out of math and sleep in class.

Sorry, but you are So Wrong.
I am now retired from my second career that was IT.
I am Retired now and Collecting Two Pensions.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/02/25 09:49:00

Holo
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3328
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/25 09:57:33 (permalink)
DStith
Clergy
I think it's really important to look at the big picture when deciding if it's the right time to move on to a new job. Personally, am I making my ideal salary, no. But I enjoy my job, the people that I work with and in less that a year I went from help desk to a Sys Admin at a private school so I really can't complain. You should't base your decision off a number only. I realize it's an important number but hardly the entire picture.

Good Luck!

IT is such a broad field that saying IT in general just means you work with some technology of some sort.
IT encompasses support, systems administration, solutions implementations,  business analysts, SMEs, storage experts, network admins, programmers, architects. Its just a very broad field. Your friend might be stuck because he isn't pursuining certs and moving on thru IT but he is most certainly not stuck.

There are equite a few in IT topping out at 200-300k a year that are top grade system's admins.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/25 10:35:24 (permalink)
Holo
DStith
Clergy

Good Luck!

IT is such a broad field that saying IT in general just means you work with some technology of some sort.
IT encompasses support, systems administration, solutions implementations,  business analysts, SMEs, storage experts, network admins, programmers, architects. Its just a very broad field. Your friend might be stuck because he isn't pursuining certs and moving on thru IT but he is most certainly not stuck.

There are equite a few in IT topping out at 200-300k a year that are top grade system's admins.

+1
My 1st for you Holo

I hear this to often from X Co-Workers.
I cannot do it because they have not trained me to do it.
Lack of Self Motivation and Self Training is the problem.
You want to move up the Ladder and even move to a Lateral Position and Climb the IT Ladder you will need "Self Motivation and Self Training" and some schooling if need be. But it is still Self Responsibility Not the Manger or even the Company you work for.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/02/25 10:43:58

Tweaked
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10630
  • Ribbons : 29
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/25 10:44:47 (permalink)
The key to getting a high salary in the IT field is to specialize in something that is both in demand and not over crowded.  Network security is one such field.  With so many security breaches in major companies like Sony, Home Depot, and Target, resulting in the termination of C level employees, Network Security is one of the best fields to be in right now. 

Another is my field, which is A/V automation and control.  It is a growth industry and is poised to explode.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/25 10:50:55 (permalink)
I would add SharePoint Farm Administrators and SharePoint Site Collection Administrators to that list.

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/25 18:14:03 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Holo
DStith
Clergy

Good Luck!

+1
My 1st for you Holo

I hear this to often from X Co-Workers.
I cannot do it because they have not trained me to do it.
Lack of Self Motivation and Self Training is the problem.
You want to move up the Ladder and even move to a Lateral Position and Climb the IT Ladder you will need "Self Motivation and Self Training" and some schooling if need be. But it is still Self Responsibility Not the Manger or even the Company you work for.

Great post. Self Motivation and Self Training are lost on some, as they have had things handed to them. They are still living at home because it is easier. As the famous saying Bobby Knight would use, "You gotta get into position, to be in position." A good work ethic can overcome many things.

Bruno747
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3909
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/26 03:26:48 (permalink)
blacksapphire08
bcavnaugh
The problem I see is that young workers will not start at the bottom and move up the ladder.
They want to start in the middle, and most think they deserve it. This I believe the really problem now for IT Jobs.
IT Jobs = Information Technology "Less Programmers as they are in their own class."

I started at the bottom working alongside people who have little to no qualifications. Im just hoping that it will eventually payoff.

I started working at a radioshack at 16 for 5.15/hr and was happy to have the job, I just love electronics that much. 
After a few years I had a degree and started working in another company for 11/hr ended my stay there at 14/hr, and moved to another company for 16/hr and moved up to 20/hr. Now I make well north of that. 

The degree and knowledge is but part of it. You still have to love the work to thrive in the the environment. Everywhere I work, I constantly get assigned work well out of my job description. Despite not being paid what the people that are actually supposed to be doing that get. I still do it, you know why? I love the work and feed on the challenge. All of that experience and knowledge puts you in an even better position when the time comes to jump or get promoted.

As others say, usually the IT jobs that pay the most are working direct with a medium to large company. They also tend to have the best benefits. When you are a contractor, you never really know how many people had their hands in your paycheck before you got it. In my case, I was working on networks for a big corporation. Someone directly working for them doing the stuff that I was would have been making 70-90k/year while I made 25k. There were at least 3 companies that I know of who got part of "my paycheck" for the work I did there. So yeah I was underpaid personally, but I can say that I managed and designed the network that a global company deployed to over 300 sites and saved them around $100k/site in hardware and administration costs by streamlining the systems and configurations and I have the documentation to back it up.

Again, love the work, have the experience and the paperwork and you will eventually get to those high paying IT jobs.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/26 05:11:54 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
I would add SharePoint Farm Administrators and SharePoint Site Collection Administrators to that list.

AS400, SAP, and Linux admins are also in very high demand right now.

Bruno747
blacksapphire08
bcavnaugh
The problem I see is that young workers will not start at the bottom and move up the ladder.
They want to start in the middle, and most think they deserve it. This I believe the really problem now for IT Jobs.
IT Jobs = Information Technology "Less Programmers as they are in their own class."

I started at the bottom working alongside people who have little to no qualifications. Im just hoping that it will eventually payoff.

I started working at a radioshack at 16 for 5.15/hr and was happy to have the job, I just love electronics that much. 
After a few years I had a degree and started working in another company for 11/hr ended my stay there at 14/hr, and moved to another company for 16/hr and moved up to 20/hr. Now I make well north of that. 

The degree and knowledge is but part of it. You still have to love the work to thrive in the the environment. Everywhere I work, I constantly get assigned work well out of my job description. Despite not being paid what the people that are actually supposed to be doing that get. I still do it, you know why? I love the work and feed on the challenge. All of that experience and knowledge puts you in an even better position when the time comes to jump or get promoted.

As others say, usually the IT jobs that pay the most are working direct with a medium to large company. They also tend to have the best benefits. When you are a contractor, you never really know how many people had their hands in your paycheck before you got it. In my case, I was working on networks for a big corporation. Someone directly working for them doing the stuff that I was would have been making 70-90k/year while I made 25k. There were at least 3 companies that I know of who got part of "my paycheck" for the work I did there. So yeah I was underpaid personally, but I can say that I managed and designed the network that a global company deployed to over 300 sites and saved them around $100k/site in hardware and administration costs by streamlining the systems and configurations and I have the documentation to back it up.

Again, love the work, have the experience and the paperwork and you will eventually get to those high paying IT jobs.

agreed, and be confident, if you don't know something google it, study it, and come back the next day knowing how it works, why it works, and how to fix it if it breaks.

I got my start in this field back in 2010 by walking into a shop and saying I want this job, I know you want an associates or 3 years experience, but give me your tech test and if I score higher than your current employees let me work for you, if I don't score higher then don't give me the job.

I started working their the following week. That has worked for me everywhere I have gone, when asked do I know a system, I will say I do not yet, but ask me tomorrow.
post edited by candle_86 - 2015/02/26 05:16:30
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/26 06:14:04 (permalink)
Well I make about 25K at my current job. I have a BA in CS (Specialized in Networking/Database/Security) and if I didnt have the student loans to pay back it wouldnt be so bad. Im working on getting some more certifications to give me a leg up on advancing to higher tier networking team.

You guys made some good points. I dont particulary like my job due to the tedious nature and the fact that I have to take calls in other areas like supply chain/logistics and software applications. I should point out that these apps are specialized to specific warehouses and we dont always have proper documentation for each one. Im going to stick with it since its still good experience.

Holo
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3328
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/26 07:14:14 (permalink)
blacksapphire08
Well I make about 25K at my current job. I have a BA in CS (Specialized in Networking/Database/Security) and if I didnt have the student loans to pay back it wouldnt be so bad. Im working on getting some more certifications to give me a leg up on advancing to higher tier networking team.

You guys made some good points. I dont particulary like my job due to the tedious nature and the fact that I have to take calls in other areas like supply chain/logistics and software applications. I should point out that these apps are specialized to specific warehouses and we dont always have proper documentation for each one. Im going to stick with it since its still good experience.

Half the companies you will work for will have that issue of no documentation, and company specific things you won't know walking in. My advice to get ahead in those places is to learn the software and make yourself invaluable to them to where they can't lose you. If you become the go to guy for that stuff you have a leg up on negotiating a raise or asking for one before or at review.

As a side note tho, IT is always tedious..

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/26 17:55:46 (permalink)
Holo
blacksapphire08

Half the companies you will work for will have that issue of no documentation, and company specific things you won't know walking in. My advice to get ahead in those places is to learn the software and make yourself invaluable to them to where they can't lose you. If you become the go to guy for that stuff you have a leg up on negotiating a raise or asking for one before or at review.

depends, I love doing resdital IT work its why im trying to get my company off the ground
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/27 07:53:16 (permalink)
Holo

It's not fixing equipment that I find tedious it's trying to get the correct info from the person on the phone since they usually have no technical knowledge whatsoever and sometimes they want to argue about it. Example: Caller: "The thingy isnt working" Me: "Could you describe it for me? What is the thingy used for?" Caller: "How should I know?! They dont pay me enough to know this stuff. Cant you just send somebody out to fix it?" Me: "We cant send somebody out until we know what it is and what's wrong with it." Then some expletives or continuing arguments, *sigh*.

The calls I get from people who are patient enough to explain things or even know what they're talking about are quite enjoyable. That's why I want to work my way up to the next level since I would be designing network architecture and working with regional technology managers to fix problems.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/27 09:38:59 (permalink)
blacksapphire08
Holo

It's not fixing equipment that I find tedious it's trying to get the correct info from the person on the phone since they usually have no technical knowledge whatsoever and sometimes they want to argue about it. Example: Caller: "The thingy isnt working" Me: "Could you describe it for me? What is the thingy used for?" Caller: "How should I know?! They dont pay me enough to know this stuff. Cant you just send somebody out to fix it?" Me: "We cant send somebody out until we know what it is and what's wrong with it." Then some expletives or continuing arguments, *sigh*.

The calls I get from people who are patient enough to explain things or even know what they're talking about are quite enjoyable. That's why I want to work my way up to the next level since I would be designing network architecture and working with regional technology managers to fix problems.

Like my computer screen is not working, it is powered off.
I changed my password but I forgot what I changed it to, 3 Seconds ago.

Remember that without users like that we would not need a Helpless Desk, I'm Sorry Help Desk.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/02/27 09:40:45

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/27 09:47:53 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
blacksapphire08
Holo

Remember that without users like that we would not need a Helpless Desk, I'm Sorry Help Desk.

help desks suck that is all
DStith
Superclocked Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/27 10:44:33 (permalink)
candle_86
bcavnaugh
blacksapphire08
Holo

help desks suck that is all

Ok guys above I accept your apology "sorry but you are wrong"  but I worked in this job and I know what it is like.  You can make more money but it generally requires a formal education.  The salaries you guys were discussing were salaries that do not require a college diploma.  I'm not going to apologize for that.

You are talking to someone that did this job so you are going to absolutely refute everything I say.  OKAY but I'll tell you what, over the past several years I have noticed a trend in people, especially online and you fit it exactly.

And yeah, doing help desk sucks.  The pay is very low indeed.  If you work at a small business and do help desk plus some administration, it isn't necessarily going to boost your pay.  They give a lot of excuses.

If you are really that hard up to do IT, I suggest getting a degree in electrical engineering or computer science from an accredited institution (no, not some teach yourself or some online courses, come on guys).

People making 200-300k per year doing IT in general are going to have a degree and can do more than "just" IT.  That kind of wage I see in job applications where it states clearly: "Requirements: Computer Science or Electrical Engineering Degree"  Source: Port of Oakland job search on careerbuilder.com salary was something like 120k or so.  They aren't just going to give the job to some schmo that graduated from high school and read a few books that they bought from amazon.

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/27 11:33:34 (permalink)
There was an opening at my job for an IT guy. I told them I was willing to get my A+ along with some other certs and the head guy called me and flat out said "Unless you replace me, you are making far more in your current position." So now, I am still at my current position but since everyone knows I am the "computer geek" I am also the local IT guy. It's always stupid stuff too, like :"My keyboard letters are typing numbers" , "my camera is not being recognized" or the most common one for awhile was "Hey, can you put the internet on one of those thumb things you have and make it so I can watch youtube videos at work?!?!"
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/27 12:40:09 (permalink)
DStith

If you are really that hard up to do IT, I suggest getting a degree in electrical engineering or computer science from an accredited institution (no, not some teach yourself or some online courses, come on guys).

Removed my request.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/03/15 13:42:43

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/28 20:31:20 (permalink)
agreed, self taught, and certified. I have no problem finding a company that wants my skills, and I always take a job that can teach me new skills. Its how I learned AS400 and SAP
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/28 21:20:23 (permalink)
Computers are my hobby, so I am self taught. I am run a business but the IT guys always listen to my opinion. I have an advanced degree but not in IT. I help more people in my organization with IT than almost any other single area. IT is an integral part of our business model. Without it, we would not be as effective as we are. The issues I have is that many in IT do not know what their end users do. Help desk in particular. Even help desk needs to know what the business is. Unfortunately many on both sides do not want to gain an understanding of the other. Those that do are the ones who can make large pay checks. This is the true value add.

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/02/28 21:52:40 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
Computers are my hobby, so I am self taught. I am run a business but the IT guys always listen to my opinion. I have an advanced degree but not in IT. I help more people in my organization with IT than almost any other single area. IT is an integral part of our business model. Without it, we would not be as effective as we are. The issues I have is that many in IT do not know what their end users do. Help desk in particular. Even help desk needs to know what the business is. Unfortunately many on both sides do not want to gain an understanding of the other. Those that do are the ones who can make large pay checks. This is the true value add.

well most companies treat IT like crap, we don't make them a profit they can see, only spend money. I see that time and again, the IT budget is cut, the IT staff is cut, then people start complaining about their equipment failing ect, and then they yell at IT for it. Its a rare thing when the business side gives a damn about the IT people keeping their systems running so they can make money.
fourpixels
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/01 02:16:11 (permalink)
I'm an IT Staff in an online casino here in my country but I only got 15000 Philippine peso and that's 340.14 USD 
cisco0623
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1254
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/01 07:18:52 (permalink)
OP, is that statistic the entire USA? It really depends on region. Here in NYC any help desk person should be pulling in $50k to start, but its NYC. I know out in the mid west people do the same for $35k tops with year of exp. 

Also it depends on the sector: banking, medical, law, etc. They all have different pay scales that surprisingly vary more than you'd think of the same position (meaning a Help desk analyst working at a bank makes more than in medical). Also you have to factor in specialization within IT. (A help desk person who works for specialized banking software company makes well north of that $68k figure because of how specialized, but in demand their knowledge is.) 
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Salaries in the IT field 2015/03/01 10:38:41 (permalink)
candle_86
Grey_Beard

well most companies treat IT like crap, we don't make them a profit they can see, only spend money. I see that time and again, the IT budget is cut, the IT staff is cut, then people start complaining about their equipment failing ect, and then they yell at IT for it. Its a rare thing when the business side gives a damn about the IT people keeping their systems running so they can make money.

For an Internal IT within a company they should not be looking for a profit Period.
They are now looking only at profit and could care less about the end user, the mission of the end user.
It is called the "Death of the IT", and this is what is causing IT such a large turn around and the biggest loss the Experts.
Like lets pay ONE IT Tech a great Salary and can get the task in hand done in a timely manner to Two or Three Hourly IT Techs that are clueless about what they are doing and takes 200 or 300 times longer to complete the same task.
They should be providing the Company the support so that the End Users can do their job and not spend days at a time down because their computer's hard drive is dead. This is where IT has gone Wrong and why End Users Do Not Like IT in Large Companies.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/03/01 10:40:19

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile